pixeltracker

Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony - Page 2

Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony

Impossible2
#25Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 10:22am

Miles2Go2 said: "There is a slightly different skill set to being a pop star to being a successful Broadway musical actress. Some can do both: Bette, Barbra. By your estimation, every pop star who sells out stadiums is ready for Broadway?"

Only Bette couldn't do it, she could only play herself and it's the only thing she has ever done on Broadway is it not?

Gaga has trained in various disciplines for years before becoming a pop star and while I agree she wasn't 'amazing' in ASIB, live theatre is a completely different beast as you have audience reaction to embellish your performance.

If she did a musical I can bet her voice and amazing performance in musical numbers would more than make up for any shortcomings in the acting department if there were any.

Updated On: 2/26/19 at 10:22 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#26Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 10:23am

I think most of us are considering a Tony win, not so much whether she can handle b'way or should/can DO broadway.    

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Impossible2
#27Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 10:39am

dramamama611 said: "I think most of us are considering a Tony win, not so much whether she can handle b'way or should/can DO broadway.
"

Well Midler proved you can win a Tony just on name alone.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#28Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 10:45am

Impossible2 said: "

Well Midler proved you can win a Tonyjust on name alone."

Yes, 37 years after her first Oscar nomination. At this point in her career, Gaga isn't Bette, not by a longshot.

Impossible2
#29Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 10:48am

CT2NYC said: "Impossible2 said: "

Yes, 37 years after her first Oscar nomination. At this point in her career, Gaga isn't Bette, not by a longshot.
"

Maybe Gaga could win one based on her performance alone...you know...like it should be?

And who are you kidding, Gaga in her prime was bigger than Midler has ever been.

Updated On: 2/26/19 at 10:48 AM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#30Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 11:04am

Impossible2 said: "CT2NYC said: "Impossible2 said: "

"

Maybe Gaga could win one basedon her performance alone...you know...like it should be?

And who are you kidding, Gaga inher prime was bigger than Midler has ever been.
"

You're missing the point. When Bette won her Tony, she had a very long career behind her. I think Gaga herself would take offense to the implication that she's better/bigger than Bette Midler. I'm a Gaga fan, but her performance in A Star Is Born was uneven, in my opinion. Beautifully naturalistic in the first 45 minutes, but forced and a little cheesy after that, and that's with multiple takes and editing. I would absolutely pay to see her in anything on Broadway, but I'm not assuming she'd be amazing in something other than a concert.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#31Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 11:17am

Impossible2 said: "dramamama611 said: "I think most of us are considering a Tony win, not so much whether she can handle b'way or should/can DO broadway.
"

Well Midler proved you can win a Tonyjust on name alone.
"

Did you see her in Hello Dolly?

Impossible2
#32Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 11:21am

OKBroadwayFan said: "Impossible2 said: "dramamama611 said: "I think most of us are considering a Tony win, not so much whether she can handle b'way or should/can DO broadway.
"

Well Midler proved you can win a Tonyjust on name alone.
"

Did you see her in Hello Dolly?
"

I saw her in Hello Bette...

Impossible2
#33Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 11:31am

CT2NYC said: "Impossible2 said: "CT2NYC said: "Impossible2 said: "

"

Maybe Gaga could win one basedon her performance alone...you know...like it should be?

"

You're missing the point. When Bette won her Tony, she had a very long career behind her. I think Gaga herself would take offense to the implicationthat she's better/bigger than Bette Midler. I'm a Gaga fan, but her performance inA Star Is Bornwas uneven, in my opinion. Beautifully naturalistic in the first 45 minutes, but forced and a little cheesy after that, and that's with multiple takes and editing. I would absolutely pay to see her in anything on Broadway, but I'm not assuming she'd be amazing in somethingother than a concert.
"

So you agree she won it based on her career not on her performance?

I am not a Gaga stan, but her level of fame can not be denied.  She was the biggest star on the planet for 2 years. Like Jackson, Madonna level of stardom at a time when there hadn't been a 'pop star' on that level in MANY years. She was on the front pages every day. Her videos and performances were major events. She was an icon.

Sorry but Midler never achieved popularity or worldwide fame on the same level. She had an average music career and then a very successful movie career...25 years ago. Beaches was probably her 'biggest' period and even then it was nothing like Gaga's peak of fame.

And why did she deserve a 'career based' Tony when she had only ever done 1 Broadway show?

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#34Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 11:37am

Bette Midler was in the original production of Fiddler on the Roof.   She has 3 Broadway show credits and 2 Musical Reviews.   

http://www.playbill.com/searchpage/search?shows=on&people=on&theatres=on&q=bette+midler&qasset=

Hello Dolly was not her only Broadway production.

She did not win a "career based" Tony.    

Bette has had a very long and celebrated career.   She is a Emmy, Grammy and Tony winning artist and 2 time Oscar nominee.   

Why are you trashing Bette to praise Gaga?     SMH

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#35Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 11:41am

Wasn't Bette Midler in the original production (not original cast) of Fiddler on the Roof? She also did a few Off and Off-Off Broadway productions. I think you're showing your age a bit because Midler was a huge star and a well-known known during her peak and time with hit singles. I think worldwide she still has more album sales than Lady Gaga did, but it's not Gaga's fault as album sales in general are much lower these days so Gaga having the amount of sales she has now is very impressive.

Back to Lady Gaga, honestly, there have been worse actors to win Tony Awards on the musical side and Gaga we know can sing the hell out of a score. That alone could garner her a Tony win in the right season. With the way Broadway is going these days, she'll be competing against generic and thin jukebox musicals and 2 and a half star on average films adapted to even worse quality musicals. It's definitely doable.

Updated On: 2/26/19 at 11:41 AM

AngusN
#36Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 11:42am

“Well Midler proved you can win a Tonyjust on name alone."

And so did Catherine Zeta Jones.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#37Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 12:00pm

Impossible2 said: "CT2NYC said: "Impossible2 said: "CT2NYC said: "Impossible2 said: "

"

"

You're missing the point. When Bette won her Tony, she had a very long career behind her. I think Gaga herself would take offense to the implicationthat she's better/bigger than Bette Midler. I'm a Gaga fan, but her performance inA Star Is Bornwas uneven, in my opinion. Beautifully naturalistic in the first 45 minutes, but forced and a little cheesy after that, and that's with multiple takes and editing. I would absolutely pay to see her in anything on Broadway, but I'm not assuming she'd be amazing in somethingother than a concert.
"

Soyou agree she won it based on her career not on her performance?"

Somewhat, but I loved her in it, as I know many others did. I think it was a combination of the performance, her career, and the positive reception of Dolly! itself that won her the Tony. That year, Patti was my favorite of the nominees, but I thought War Paint was a huge bore, so I wasn't bothered by the fact that she didn't win.

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#38Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 12:07pm

Gaga can be like John Legend and just win a Tony without setting foot on stage.  I'm sure there's a future show she can back up as producer.  Can you imagine - Lady Gaga Presents "A Star is Born - the musical"

Updated On: 2/26/19 at 12:07 PM

Impossible2
#39Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 12:08pm

OKBroadwayFan said: "Bette Midler was in the original production of Fiddler on the Roof. She has 3 Broadway show credits and 2 Musical Reviews.

http://www.playbill.com/searchpage/search?shows=on&people=on&theatres=on&q=bette+midler&qasset=

Hello Dolly was not her only Broadway production.

She did not win a "career based" Tony.

Bette has had a very long and celebrated career. She is a Emmy, Grammy and Tony winning artist and 2 time Oscar nominee.

Why are you trashing Bette to praise Gaga? SMH
"

I'm not trashing her, I was a huge Bette fan until I saw HD and I certainly don't begrudge her her any of her success beyond that, I just loathed her and indeed the show itself.

Impossible2
#40Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 12:12pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "Wasn't Bette Midler in the original production (not original cast) ofFiddler on the Roof? She also did a few Off and Off-Off Broadway productions. I think you're showing your age a bit because Midler was a huge star and a well-known known during her peak and time with hit singles. I think worldwide she still has more album sales than Lady Gaga did, but it's not Gaga's fault as album sales in general are much lower these days so Gaga having the amount of sales she has now is very impressive.
"

Doll I'm 49 so its not my age lol

I wasn't aware she was in any other shows and frankly they were a VERY long time ago.

As I stated Gaga was in the BIG league. Midler was big but not anywhere near that level of fame.

Mind it was the start of social media which I am sure had a lot to do with Gaga's initial success.

Impossible2
#41Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 12:13pm

CT2NYC said: "Impossible2 said: "CT2NYC said: "Impossible2 said: "CT2NYC said: "Impossible2 said: "

"

"

"

Soyou agree she won it based on her career not on her performance?"

Somewhat, but I loved her in it, as I know many others did. I think it was a combination of the performance, her career, and the positivereception of Dolly!itself that won her the Tony. That year, Patti was my favorite of the nominees,but I thoughtWar Paintwas a huge bore, so I wasn't bothered by the fact that she didn't win."

War Paint was extremely boring and painful... at least we agree on that Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony  

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#42Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 12:19pm

To me, since I'm not a diehard fan of either, both women have the same amount of impact on me. So looking at it from my perspective, I think both seem to have had the same level of fame at their peak. Both are recognizable figures, big names, sold a ton of records, sold out concerts, known for some of their outrageous costumes, both got Oscar nominated for their film performances (Bette received two with more than a decade apart), both seem to be multi-talented and can do different mediums, both have an eclectic discography appealing to different demographics, both are songs that really made their films ("The Rose" and "Shallow",) ,and both are truly beloved by the gays.

Updated On: 2/26/19 at 12:19 PM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#43Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 1:43pm

Impossible2 said: "Only Bette couldn't do it, she could only play herself and it's the only thing she has ever done on Broadway is it not?"

It is not. She was just in I'll Eat You Last in 2013, and of course, Fiddler in 1968.

BwayGeek2 Profile Photo
BwayGeek2
#44Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 2:10pm

Given the fact that she (I believe) was classically trained, I don't think it's a far stretch to see her on Broadway. On the topic of being Tony Award material, personally I don't see her as strong compared to other Broadway female leads.

But who knows? I could end up being surprised.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#45Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 3:02pm

Beyond her ability to act, which people can debate, I don't think she can handle the schedule with her fibromyalgia...

She has said in the past: "For me, and I think for many others, it’s really a cyclone of anxiety, depression, PTSD, trauma, and panic disorder, all of which sends the nervous system into overdrive, and then you have nerve pain as a result. People need to be more compassionate. Chronic pain is no joke. And it’s every day waking up not knowing how you’re going to feel.”

She has canceled concerts in the past because of it. In Vegas, she is topping out at 8 shows a month.

That sounds like a happy understudy, and a lot of lines for returns at the box office.

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#46Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 3:13pm

She stated in an interview she wants to write a musical. I think that is how she will win her Tony, whether she performs is debatable.

BWAY Baby2
#47Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/26/19 at 3:17pm

Bette was great in Hello, Dolly- she brought both humor and pathos to the role- she was very believable as Dolly Levi- and she deserved her Tony, IMO. Both Gaga and Bette are huge international stars obviously. And yes, the fibro issue with Gaga is a major concern doing 8 performances a week. That is why a 3 month GAGA ON BROADWAY- singing classic Broadway songs- and she could and would do them justice- is the way for her to get a Tony- if EGOT is what she wants. Till There Was You- As Long As He Needs Me, People, If Ever I Should Leave You.....the list is endless- and Gaga could kill doing this the of show- not much scenery needed- just a big orchestra and a few fancy gowns maybe a tuxedo- and she is good to go.

theaterlyfe19
#48Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/27/19 at 7:49am

Impossible2 said: "Miles2Go2 said: "One starring role in a film doesn’t mean she is ready for Broadway. The other actresses in her category are all more accomplished actresses (except possibly for Yalitza Aparicio)and were better in their respective films. I’d actually like to see Colman take on Broadway and I haven’t even seen her film yet. Gaga didn’t suck in her film, but neither she nor the film are as great asacclaimed to be. In my humble opinion, it got good notices because people expected it to suck and it didn’t. Give Gaga a few more years. Then maybe she will be ready for the stage. And if she’s not, that’s okay. It’s no slight. Not all pop stars can be Broadway stars. In fact, very, very few can. The reverse is also true. Very, very few Broadway stars can be pop stars. After Barbra, name one more who was able to transition from a successful Broadway role to a successful career in popular music."

Gurl please.

So she can play stadiums all around the world to millions of people but not step onto a Broadway stage?

You people are deluded x
"

I know they're two different people but...you could say the same about Taylor Swift. Does the same thing, concerts, has been in movies-did you see those movies? Would you really think she could do Broadway? As Dramamama said, based on her medical background I don't think she could do a show 8x a week. Just because she had the breakthrough performance in A Star Is Born doesn't mean she's destined for the Broadway stage, and we're allowed to think that. Again, I could potentially see her writing the score for a musical. but I don't know if she would star in a show. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#49Gaga with an Oscar. Next a tony
Posted: 2/27/19 at 9:21am

theaterlyfe19 said: "Taylor Swift. Does the same thing, concerts, has been in movies-did you see those movies?"

Has anyone?