Cursed Child Year 2

TorontoBroadwayFan
#50Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 4/27/19 at 1:15pm

Going to see Year 2 tomorrow! Almost a year to the day I saw the show last year. Very excited to see it again! 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#51Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 4/27/19 at 1:25pm

DOUBLE POST

Updated On: 4/27/19 at 01:25 PM

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#52Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 4/27/19 at 1:28pm

dmwnc1959 said: "Danielle0314 said: “It is played during the show yes. It's all instrumental and it's beautiful"

Sounds wonderful! Thank you!I stumbled acrossit on Napster and was going to download it and start listening, but I wanted to make sure first....

85 days and counting. Sooooo looking forward to this one. I’m watching the final three movies this weekend and will start listening to the music beginning Monday while at work.

"

Personally, I wouldn't listen to the music beforehand. Part of what makes it so special is how well it's integrated into the show. I recommend that you just enjoy it for the first time in the theatre, and, after that, it'll be a reminder of the magical experience.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#53Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 4/27/19 at 2:20pm

CT2NYC said: "Personally, I wouldn't listen to the music beforehand. Part of what makes it so special is how well it's integrated into the show. Irecommend that you just enjoy it for the first time in the theatre, and, after that, it'll be a reminder of the magical experience."

Well, crap. There goes that idea. lol Guess I’ll have to find another show to listen to for the next 90 days. I’ve already been listening to DEH, HELLO, DOLLY!, FIDDLER, and HADESTOWN. Maybe MOULIN ROUGE will have come out with an OBCR by then. Doubtful since it only begins Previews on June 28th. 

Danielle0314
#54Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 4/27/19 at 9:51pm

dmwnc1959 said: "CT2NYC said: "Personally, I wouldn't listen to the music beforehand. Part of what makes it so special is how well it's integrated into the show. Irecommend that you just enjoy it for the first time in the theatre, and, after that, it'll be a reminder of the magical experience."

Well, crap. There goes that idea. lolGuess I’ll have to find another show to listen to for the next 90 days. I’ve already been listening to DEH, HELLO, DOLLY!, FIDDLER, and HADESTOWN.Maybe MOULIN ROUGE will have come out with an OBCR by then. Doubtful since it only begins Previews on June 28th."

Late to respond, but was going to say the same thing. Part of the magic of it is the music, and saving it for seeing it the first time will make it that much more special. And you can get the soundtrack there in the shop too 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#55Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 4/27/19 at 11:04pm

I agree about the music. Don't listen ahead of time. I saw it before the music was released and being an Imogen Heap fan, it was thrilling to listen to. If anyone who is a fan is seeing the show and hasn't heard the music beforehand, they will know why it is thrilling. And the sound design is wonderful so that makes it even better. I downloaded the music about a minute after it became available!

Just give the world Love.

Lauren2
#56Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 5/16/19 at 2:48am

For people that have seen both years what do you prefer? Year 1 or Year 2?

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#57Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 7/21/19 at 11:50pm

It’s been a VERY long couple of days. Had a superb time in NYC despite the sweltering heat. I’m on the Megabus now heading back to Pittsburgh having today attended Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two at the Lyric Theatre.

Keeping in mind that I’m not an over-the-top HP fan, haven’t read any of the books (I started Deathly Hallows but didn’t make it past p100), and only just finished the last three movies a couple of months ago, by time we hit intermission in P1, there were serious doubts in my head that I’d be returning for P2. Bit I did. Go back for P2.

I’ll add more later because it’s very difficult to type while on a moving bus bouncing down the interstate. 

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#58Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 7/22/19 at 5:23pm

I showed up at the Lyric Theatre over and hour before Part One started and the line was incredibly long, with the queue of people even wrapping back on itself. The near 100 degree temps didn’t make it any more bearable even when standing in the shade. But once they started letting folks in through security and the front doors it went very quickly. I had my small backpack with me and they didn’t blink an eye other than to have me open all the pouches so they could look inside. The metal detector was set off by my belt buckle and they used a wand to further screen me.

There’s lots of exterior and interior theatre details to take pictures of (the two level atrium lobby is quite beautiful), or you can visit several souvenir stands and bars or checkout a walk-in refreshment store. There’s an app you can download on your smartphone to order food and drinks online while in the theatre. You can even have your souvenir picture taken holding the banners of the different Hogwarts houses. Come to find out a lot of people like Slytherin. I had taken an online quiz and I turned out to be better suited for Hufflepuff. Most people that know the HP series, and know me, agreed with that.

The lobbies on three floors fill to capacity quickly and it was almost elbow to elbow before the house opened and people started heading to their seats. And up I went.

The stairs are quite easy to manage. My seat for this was Balcony Row A Seat 113, which is about five seats off from dead center and front row. It’s just far back enough to where you really can’t make out anything but the biggest facial expressions, but can still see all of the special effects and can hear and see just about everything happening on stage. The railing and small platform in front of Balcony Row A provided only the smallest amount of obstruction in scenes that occurred at the very, very front edge of the stage (i.e. and most specifically in the water, or when someone walked off into the audience) where I could lean just a little forward and see fine (except that latter example, and I don’t know where he went).

Now, there’s a synopsis in the Showbill of the seven years of Hogwarts where the stories of Harry Potter take place, as well as a section with a slew of definitions and character descriptions. There was an insert, like the kind you get when there’s stand-ins, that says as a Spoiler Alert to NOT read it if you didn’t wish to know all of the characters featured in the play, to wait and read it after the end of Part Two.

As for the storyline of the play, and me not being a huge follower of the series, it sort of really lost me in the first half of Part One. Wish I had read the insert and Showbill anyways. As a side note, since the play is in two parts, you eventually get two different covered Showbills that form a matched set. It’s very cool. And at the end of Part 1 they give you a little lapel-type button that you can wear.

However, during intermission of Part One I was beginning to wonder if this was going to be worth my 5+ hours long investment (almost 7-1/2hrs when you count standing in line), and I begin to think I might just skip Part Two and do some final sightseeing. But having seen the movies, the final three movies of the series as recent as this past May, I finally decided to let it all play out. A lady sitting next to me said to also wait until the end of Part One’s big reveal to see if I felt differently. She said that she had seen the play several times.

The house opened for Part Two at 6:30pm to re-screen every one again coming into the theatre.

As for the special effects, and there’s a LOT of them - from very small, to stage-filling effects, to one that filled the entire theatre - many of them are very, VERY impressive, and all are thoroughly enjoyable. There’s one in particular that literally had me quite scared stiff, and two that I still can’t figure how it was done, like nothing I had ever seen in a show. It was breathtaking. And the music is phenomenal. I’m glad that I didn’t listen to it beforehand as had been recommended.

The acting of all the cast leads was quite well done. There’s no singing - it’s a play, which I kept forgetting - and I kept wanting some kind musical song and dance intervention.

There’s a LOT more choreography than I was expecting, and it too was enjoyable.

It turns out that this entire show is phenomenal in every way. And I’m VERY glad that I stayed and got to see it all.

Updated On: 7/22/19 at 05:23 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#59Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 1/19/20 at 3:08pm

Curious if we should expect another big cast change for year 3. Anyone know?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Fosse76
#60Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 1/19/20 at 4:08pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Curious if we should expect another big cast change for year 3. Anyone know?"

Yes. They are currently rehearsing. 

Call_me_jorge
#61Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 1/19/20 at 4:10pm

Fosse76 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Curious if we should expect another big cast change for year 3. Anyone know?"

Yes. They arecurrently rehearsing.
"

OOOH! Are you allowed to share details? Any hints on who’s in the year 3 cast?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Fosse76
#62Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 1/19/20 at 4:22pm

I'm not sure who is in the cast, only that they are rehearsing.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#63Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 1/19/20 at 6:58pm

There's a few current cast members who are staying, as well as a couple who are being bumped up from smaller roles to roles that they currently cover. 

JennH
#64Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 1/21/20 at 9:36am

I'd ask if James is staying but since I know that can't be answered on here just yet, I hope he stays. I've seen it twice with the original cast, but when James came in, I REALLy wanted to see it a third time, I've been a fan of his for a while. Sadly finding decent deals was hard and it seems easier at the moment...

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#65Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 2/3/20 at 10:40am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Brady-Dalton-Richards-James-Romney-More-Will-Join-HARRY-POTTER-AND-THE-CURSED-CHILD-on-Broadway-20200203

James Snyder, Diane Davis, Jenny Julies, and Nadia Brown are returning. Looks like James Romney is stepping up to full-time Albus. They're teasing a reveal for the Ron. The voice we hear at the end of the video has a British accent, so my hunch is that Paul Thornley may be returning??? Thrilled that many of the Year 2 cast are staying, as I haven't seen it with them yet! 

Edited to correct that Romney is taking over as Albus, not Scorpius! Apologies!

Updated On: 2/3/20 at 10:40 AM

Call_me_jorge
#66Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 2/3/20 at 10:40am

Interesting that the new Ron wasn’t announced. 

JennH
#67Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 2/3/20 at 11:36am

Obviously they have some sort of big plan, and if it is Paul, I won't mind one bit, he's straight up hilarious. I don't think it's SUPER likely, but whatevs. Also glad James is staying, gives me plenty of time to see it again. That teaser video is also classic James dorkiness. 

Updated On: 2/3/20 at 11:36 AM

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#68Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 2/3/20 at 11:37am

They posted and then removed a video on their Facebook page teasing/spoiling the Ron announcement and Paul Thornley is indeed returning. 

JennH
#69Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 2/3/20 at 11:40am

perfectlymarvelous said: "They posted and then removed a video on their Facebook page teasing/spoiling the Ron announcement and Paul Thornley is indeed returning."

LOLZ, opppsss!

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#70Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 2/3/20 at 5:27pm

I'm a little surprised that Bubba and Nick aren't staying on, but given the nature of the show it's not totally surprising. 

I'm so happy that Lauren is being promoted to Delphi as I've wanted to see her play the role for awhile and now she will full time. I will miss her in Myrtle track, because she was perfect. 

I'm excited to see all the new people joining and excited to see Paul with James, Jules, and Diane.  

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 2/3/20 at 05:27 PM

Fosse76
#71Cursed Child Year 2
Posted: 2/3/20 at 10:24pm

I would've preferred a new Harry and Hermione. I've mixed feelings about Thornley (I do miss his "Scrupious" line).