Podcasts

jbm2
#1Podcasts
Posted: 4/18/19 at 12:42am

Looking for great Broadway/theater podcasts. Any suggestions?

Alex Kulak2
#2Podcasts
Posted: 4/18/19 at 12:49am

They haven't posted in 7 months, but Jim and Tomic's Musical Theatre Happy Hour has a pretty fun back-catalog. They talk about a different show every episode.

chrishuyen
#3Podcasts
Posted: 4/18/19 at 1:07am

+1 to Jim and Tomic

Putting It Together if you're a Sondheim fan

Broadwaysted for interviews with Broadway stars and fun games

Broadway Baby introduces a different show to a Broadway newbie every episode

Bottomless Broadway talks about current Tony eligible musicals

The Original Cast goes over different cast albums and why people love them 

This Week on Broadway does daily Broadway news

My Little Tonys goes over different past Tony Award seasons and ceremonies

There are also a few different interview-based ones like Little Known Facts with Ilana Levine, Stagecraft with Gordon Cox, Billboard on Broadway, and The Producer's Perspective.  In the same vein, Living the Dream with Rory O'Malley does a similar thing but deals more with an actor's road to Broadway and the struggles they faced.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#4Podcasts
Posted: 4/18/19 at 8:59am

I've recently launched my own podcast where I talk about all different things going on in the entertainment world. I have interviews with several Broadway alums such as John Rubinstein, Josh Grisetti, Jose Llana, Karen Mason, Desi Oakley, and Joy Franz already up.

Kare Reviews Podcast

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#5Podcasts
Posted: 4/18/19 at 9:21am

I'm a huge fan of the Three on the Aisle podcast, which discusses various theater topics from the lens of a critic. Critics Elisabeth Vincentelli, Peter Marks, and Terry Teachout discuss various topics in theater, and then go over some of their favorite (or least favorite) theater they've seen in the past few weeks, not only on Broadway but throughout the country. Their banter is quite lovely and funny, and they are passionate and almost never agree, which is so refreshing because they argue for why they think aspects of productions work, but are still believers that not everyone has to agree. Usually the topics revolve around a something current, such as race and casting, the role of revivals, adapting shows from existing works, the rise of filmed theater events, and things like that. Usually there's some interviews as well -- a couple weeks ago they had Laura Benanti, who was stellar and funny as always. 

I'm subscribing to a few more of these, thanks for the recs guys.

nasty_khakis
#6Podcasts
Posted: 4/18/19 at 10:05am

They stopped about ten years ago but there's a great archive of interviews of actors, directors, designers, etc on the American Theatre Wing's Downstage Center. You get a lot of great history and theatre stories. And the hosts aren't as, well, gushy as most modern theatre podcast hosts can be saying they're "obsessed" with every performer and everything they've done. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/atw-downstage-center/id380227687?mt=2

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#7Podcasts
Posted: 4/18/19 at 10:22am

^^That "gushiness" was one of the things that turned me off most about the Theater People podcast. The interviews were pretty good, but the host said that every single show they talked about was "the most perfect thing he'd ever seen."

Like, Catch Me If You Can is the most perfect show you've ever seen? Women on the Verge was the most perfect thing you've ever seen? Really? Or are you just trying to impress Kerry Butler? 

Updated On: 4/18/19 at 10:22 AM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#8Podcasts
Posted: 4/18/19 at 10:31am

Three on the Aisle is great. Some of my other favorites have just stopped putting out new material - Theater People & Broadway Stories.

Whenever I need a good laugh I go back and listen to the Kate Rockwell or Jen Cody episodes of Broadway stories. FUNNY stuff.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#9Podcasts
Posted: 4/18/19 at 10:45am

Behind the Curtain is really good, and I'm glad there's a theatre podcast out there that's not afraid to talk negatively (but not overly meanly) about shows or elements of shows.

I Only Have Lies for You comes out in podcast format a month or two after the actual shows — I don't recommend listening via headphones because the sound balance can be REALLY bad, but on a speaker they're fun. (But the live show is even better!)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BroadwayMan5
#10Podcasts
Posted: 4/18/19 at 11:34am

Behind the Curtain is my favorite and it has a ton of episodes at this point. If you want anger/cringe factor, listen to Broadway Binge where two "woke" millennials basically trash classic musicals with very little understanding of the musicals themselves.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#11Podcasts
Posted: 4/18/19 at 11:54am

Behind the Curtain and Best of Billboard on Broadway

j.garcia
#12Podcasts
Posted: 4/18/19 at 12:56pm

If you want something with more music, Broadway to Main Street is my rec. The host has a theme every week and he picks songs, it’s good if you’re looking for insight on older pieces or obscure recordings. He definitely leans more in the classics/oldies, but it’s exposed me to many musicals and interesting song covers that I would never have found otherwise. 

lachri5
#13Podcasts
Posted: 4/19/19 at 10:08am

Broadway Backstory - Great quality, like pro documentaries on the creative process of some musicals in the past decade or so. Tons of interviews from the creative teams and the original cast. Highly recommend!

Behind the Curtains - Lower production value, but light fun conversation on lesser known, or "under appreciated" shows. Plus they have interviews with some fascinating theatre people you wouldn't find anywhere else.

My Little Tonys - Recap and commentaries on Tony Awards.

The Original Cast - Insightful discussions on original cast albums.

all of it (from WNYC) - They're not exclusively a theatre podcast, but every day they put out one or two interviews about the very latest shows in New York, like recenly they interviewed people behind Nassim, What the Constitution Means to Me, White Noise etc.

NT Talk - Official podcast of the National Theatre in London. They have interviews about their latest productions. A rare chance to get a close look at shows across the pond.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#14Podcasts
Posted: 4/19/19 at 10:47am

Broadway Backstory is the best musical theatre podcast out there. It's a damn shame they only made 20 episodes. I don't know if the Today Tix funding for it dried up, it was too much work to produce, or the allure of the host's other projects was just too great, but I'm so sad they spotted making it. I have listened to several of the episodes many times.