West Side Story Revival Details

SamanthaP
#1West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/1/19 at 8:26pm

Hi!! I know there’s another thread on this but I wanted to make a new one. Do you think the new West Side Story revival will be partially in Spanish? Also, is it true that I Feel Pretty will be cut and there will be no intermission? Thanks!!!!

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#2West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/1/19 at 8:49pm

I wish we knew more but I think everything is pretty much anyone’s guess at this point.

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

JBC3
#3West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/1/19 at 9:52pm

SamanthaP said: "Hi!! I know there’s another thread on this but I wanted to make a new one. "

Because doing so accomplishes what exactly?

SouthernCakes
#4West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/1/19 at 11:28pm

No one will know anything until rehearsal have started

binau Profile Photo
binau
#5West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/2/19 at 8:11am

My prediction is that they will have some Spanish flair in the language such as spoken language or the occasional verse - kind of like the democratic primary debates lol - but they won’t revert to full songs. They don’t want to lose the audience, and they tried it last time and if I recall correctly reverted back for this reason.

My other prediction is that there is a 0% chance that I Feel Pretty will be cut. The producers want to make money, and you don’t do that by throwing out one of the most iconic songs that the audience will enjoy - even if Sondheim is cringing from the side.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#6West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/2/19 at 8:24am

Heard there's rain, video, and I Feel Pretty is cut.

JSquared2
#7West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/2/19 at 9:28am

The only thing that we can learn from this unnecessary thread is that nobody knows anything at this point.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#8West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/2/19 at 10:14am

GeorgeandDot said: "Heard there's rain, video, and I Feel Pretty is cut."

Even if that’s what you heard.... all of this can change during previews. Don’t they have 8 weeks worth of previews? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

nasty_khakis
#9West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/2/19 at 10:19am

Someone I talked to in the cast had his first fitting this week and said both his normal role and the role he understudies have costumes with "no specific time period" so...the normal van Hove thing. He said he's heard nothing about concept/sets/rain/etc.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#10West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 3:47pm

I found out there’s a chance that I’ll be in town the first week of previews so was looking at availability and it appears to be almost completely sold out except for three premium seats on the 12th and 13th. Unless I’m looking wrong. I know it’s a beloved property, but I was surprised that it’s selling this well during previews as most revivals seems to have a little more trouble attracting an audience unless they star someone akin to Bette or Hugh.

Update: Looks like the 12th is completely sold out now too. 

Updated On: 10/26/19 at 03:47 PM

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#11West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 3:57pm

Details? It's selling horrible, Amar has impacted sales very negatively, their online presence is a disaster and will close in 6 months. There ya go. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 4:14pm

I wouldn’t even give it 6 months.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#13West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 4:19pm

ljay889 said: "I wouldn’t even give it 6 months. "

Most revivals don’t run that long (Kiss Me, Kate) or else run with low box office numbers (Once On This Island, Oklahoma!). Even Dolly only did phenomenal box office when Bette was in the show. Which is why I’m surprised that WSS is selling so well right out of the gate. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#14West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 4:31pm

ModernMillie3 said: "Details? It's selling horrible, Amar has impacted sales very negatively, their online presence is a disaster and will close in 6 months. There ya go."

Has he, though? Outside of the theater and arts community, do ticket buyers really know who he is? I’d agree that I give this production 6 months (or less) but I wouldn’t entirely blame it on Amar (and this is coming from someone who absolutely can’t stand him or his casting in this). 

As for the “selling well” argument, I’m sure hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of seats are being held back in that behemoth of a house. I say check back in a few weeks closer to the performance and I bet there will be availability. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#15West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 4:39pm

GreasedLightning said: "ModernMillie3 said: "Details? It's selling horrible, Amar has impacted sales very negatively, their online presence is a disaster and will close in 6 months. There ya go."

Has he, though? Outside of thetheater and arts community, do ticket buyers really know who he is? I’d agree that I give this production 6 months (or less) but I wouldn’t entirely blame it on Amar (and this is coming from someone who absolutely can’t stand him or his casting in this).

As for the “selling well” argument, I’m sure hundreds (and I meanhundreds) of seats are being held back in that behemoth of a house. I say check back in a few weeks closer to the performance and I bet there will be availability.
"

I actually had forgotten he was in this. I certainly gives me pause, but I’ll probably still try to see it. And thanks for the advice. I’ll keep checking. I do agree that the majority of people who are buying and will buy tickets for this have no idea who he is. This story didn’t reverberate much outside of  the ballet/theater community, at least not enough to register in the general theater goers mind. I had actually forgotten the offenders’ names.  

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#16West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 4:41pm

The suggestion that Ramasar’s casting has had any noticeable effect on ticket sales is borderline delusional. The average ticket-buyer has absolutely no idea who who is, or that this scandal even happened.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#17West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 4:42pm

If I didn't frequent BWW forums I would never have heard of Amar.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#18West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 4:47pm

There will be video. Equity had to issue contracts to onstage camera ops because they’re onstage so often, they’re deemed performers.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#19West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 4:53pm

ColorTheHours048 said: “ Equity had to issue contracts to onstage camera ops because they’re onstage so often, they’re deemed performers."

Thats very interesting. Is that common? I’ve seen other shows with onstage camera ops (including several other Van Hove shows) but never bothered to check what kind of contract they were on.

I know crew members are allowed to go onstage to move sets and such, so is there some sort of time limit to how long a crew member can be onstage before they have to be given a performer contract? What about shows where the band is onstage? They aren’t given actor contracts, are they? 

Call_me_jorge
#20West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 4:59pm

JBroadway said: "ColorTheHours048 said: “Equity had to issue contracts to onstage camera ops because they’re onstage so often, they’re deemed performers."

Thats very interesting. Is that common? I’ve seen other shows with onstage camera ops (including several other Van Hove shows) but never bothered to check what kind of contract they were on.

I know crew members are allowed to go onstage to move sets and such, so is there some sort of time limit to how long a crew member can be onstage before they have to be given a performer contract? What about shows where the band is onstage? They aren’t given actor contracts, are they?

"

If I recall, Network had the same thing. It’s probably due to how much choreography that the camera operators have to learn. Band members on stage just sit in one place.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#21West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 7:14pm

I’d agree that I give this production 6 months (or less) but I wouldn’t entirely blame it on Amar (and this is coming from someone who absolutely can’t stand him or his casting in this). 

No, I am not entirely blaming it on him. I think it's a whole lot of things. The secrecy behind the entire show, the lack of awareness of the production's part in thinking anyone would care about his casting, the fact that all the ads/commercials have only males in it (despite the fact that there are many women in the cast), the fact that most of the comments on social media are about him and no one from the production has ever said a thing, the very bizarre choreography that has been show so far, no stars are attached, and the list goes on and on. A lot of people have voiced the opinion that this will be a flop and close quickly. I just think it's so many things. 

Which is why I’m surprised that WSS is selling so well right out of the gate.

Except it's not. Tickets have been on sale since June, and after December it's not selling all that well. But, I imagine time will tell.

Updated On: 10/26/19 at 07:14 PM

bwaylyric Profile Photo
bwaylyric
#22West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 9:07pm

I wonder if there will be protesters in front of the theatre

Call_me_jorge
#23West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/26/19 at 9:19pm

I do not think there will be protesters, but I do think the industry might not view the production too fondly. I could see it being boycotted by certain members of the industry.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#24West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/27/19 at 4:20am

FANtomFollies said: "If I didn't frequent BWW forums I would never have heard of Amar."

I've seen quite a bit of (highly justified) brouhaha over Ramasar's casting on twitter, so I think it's safe to say that the audience who knows about it are either a) super-devoted theatregoers (people likely to post on the board, like us!), b) industry insiders who were around for the behavior in question, or c) young people on twitter who tend to latch on to scandal in the industry. Is it enough to tank the show? No. But in the #MeToo era, I don't think the "all publicity is good publicity" rule really still rings true. Like I said, it's not gonna kill the grosses, but it won't help much either.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#25West Side Story Revival Details
Posted: 10/27/19 at 8:41am

Is every thread on this going to turn into an Amar thread? We get it, you're unhappy about it. Don't go.

I wondered about the sales being so strong early on and if they were indeed holding back tickets. I might want to catch a first preview of this one, just to see where this begins and where this lands.

They have 2 months (!) of previews, which says to me either they think they really need twice as much time to figure out this new interpretation (not implausible), or they want to take in as much as possible before reviews (ditto). Speaking practically, it's likely the former with the latter being a welcome bonus.

Videos