pixeltracker

Alanis Morissette Announces Jagged Little Pill 25th-Anniversary Tour With Garbage & Liz Phair

Alanis Morissette Announces Jagged Little Pill 25th-Anniversary Tour With Garbage & Liz Phair

inception Profile Photo
inception
#1Alanis Morissette Announces Jagged Little Pill 25th-Anniversary Tour With Garbage & Liz Phair
Posted: 12/4/19 at 10:37pm

Any thoughts on how this might affect the Jagged Little Pill show on Broadway. Is this similar to Cher touring & taking away interest from The Cher Show?

https://www.stereogum.com/2066485/alanis-morissette-announces-jagged-little-pill-25th-anniversary-tour-with-garbage-liz-phair/tour-dates/

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2Alanis Morissette Announces Jagged Little Pill 25th-Anniversary Tour With Garbage & Liz Phair
Posted: 12/5/19 at 2:10am

As soon as I saw the post about the tour I did think about the possible impact on the box office. This show may need help after reviews come out. If fans have to choose between travel to NYC for the musical or to see the real thing, I think they will opt for the real thing.

The show may not last until June (when the tour begins) as well. So that’s another possibility.

Alanis is painted into a corner because she needs to strike while iron is hot and she is getting a lot of press at the moment. I don’t blame her for riding the wave of press to announce a tour.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Chowd95 Profile Photo
Chowd95
#3Alanis Morissette Announces Jagged Little Pill 25th-Anniversary Tour With Garbage & Liz Phair
Posted: 12/5/19 at 3:04am

I don't think this will have a negative impact on the musical. The tour is only playing in a pretty limited amount of cities. She's having somewhat of a resurgence and younger people that have never heard of her are discovering her music through the show and the cast recording.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#4Alanis Morissette Announces Jagged Little Pill 25th-Anniversary Tour With Garbage & Liz Phair
Posted: 12/5/19 at 9:30am

Chowd95 said: "I don't think this will have a negative impact on the musical. The tour is only playing in a pretty limited amount of cities. She's having somewhat of a resurgence and younger people that have never heard of her are discovering her music through the show and the cast recording. "

Yes but playing limited cities for a high profile tour celebrating your iconic album means people may choose to travel to see her rather than buy Broadway tickets  

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#5Alanis Morissette Announces Jagged Little Pill 25th-Anniversary Tour With Garbage & Liz Phair
Posted: 12/5/19 at 9:36am

It is interesting to say that for a very popular Canadian performer, Alanis is only playing 1 Canadian stop on the tour (Toronto), and the leading theatre producer in Toronto is a producer of Jagged Little Pill. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#6Alanis Morissette Announces Jagged Little Pill 25th-Anniversary Tour With Garbage & Liz Phair
Posted: 12/5/19 at 12:16pm

I think the difference here is with The Cher Show, it was a choice between seeing seeing Stephanie J Block do an impression of Cher singing Cher songs, vs. seeing Cher herself performing. (No disrespect meant to SJB, who I hear was excellent). 

With JLP, the two mediums are (somewhat) farther apart.

When Jagged Little Pill (the album) came out, I must have been in 4th or 5th grade. I liked the listening to the songs on the radio, and my classmates and I would giggle about the word that Alanis *really* uses in You Oughta Know (that was cut from the radio.

I've always thought fondly of Alanis, but after seeing JLP in Boston, I reconnected with her music. I was young and shy when the album came out. As an adult, I'm in awe of how Alanis projected so much raw anger during a time when it felt like women weren't allowed to be angry. 

All of this is to say that I fall in the demographic of those who both want to see Jagged Little Pill on Broadway AND Alanis's upcoing tour wink

Islander_fan
#7Alanis Morissette Announces Jagged Little Pill 25th-Anniversary Tour With Garbage & Liz Phair
Posted: 12/5/19 at 5:37pm

I think that this could help the show if anything. I saw the show twice on Broadway. And, both times I was sitting around people who came because of being fans of the album and Alanis’s music in general. I mean she played a show at The Apollo the other night where she did the entire Jagged Little Pill album unplugged/acoustic and it was a sold out show. I went, got my ticket via stub hub but was told by someone next to me that the show sold out fast when tickets went on sale.

I think that what can potentially be helpful is that those who were fans of the album when it came out 25 years ago, are those who can afford to see the show on Broadway.. it’s not like we’re taking about something like Be More Chill where the core fan base couldn’t really afford to spend more than rush on their own.

ArtMan
#8Alanis Morissette Announces Jagged Little Pill 25th-Anniversary Tour With Garbage & Liz Phair
Posted: 12/5/19 at 5:42pm

The tour is coming about 4 hours from where I live..  I have an acquaintance who is a huge Alanis fan and her music is all he listens to.  It is so out of control, there have been problems with his relationship.  I would have loved to see his reaction when he heard about the tour.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#9Alanis Morissette Announces Jagged Little Pill 25th-Anniversary Tour With Garbage & Liz Phair
Posted: 12/5/19 at 7:20pm

"As an adult, I'm in awe of how Alanis projected so much raw anger during a time when it felt like women weren't allowed to be angry"

I don't know where this idea comes from? Women were angry and expressed it. Madonna's Bedtime Stories album featuring Human Nature as a single came out 8 months before Jagged Little Pill.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#10Alanis Morissette Announces Jagged Little Pill 25th-Anniversary Tour With Garbage & Liz Phair
Posted: 12/5/19 at 9:06pm

Alanis has been through a rough time.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/blog/horrifying-alanis-morissette-opens-up-about-battle-with-postpartum-depression-1.5332168

I think she is just trying to prove her relevancy in a new and somewhat different time frame.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#11Alanis Morissette Announces Jagged Little Pill 25th-Anniversary Tour With Garbage & Liz Phair
Posted: 12/5/19 at 11:36pm

Human Nature by Madonna didn't feel as much of an angry song as responding to her critics, for me. Alanis took anger to a whole other level. I danced to Madonna's song and sat and drank with my best friend to Alanis' whole cd! I don't remember Human Nature really being looked at asan "Angry" song, although it put her critics in their place! JMO

Just give the world Love.

Videos