pixeltracker

Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?

Adversus
#1Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/7/20 at 6:08pm

Our theatre company THE NEW THEATRE produces every year a new title for young talented actors and singers as a stepping stone to their future education as a professional performer.

Spring Awakening was showered with awards and we made contemporary version of that in 2016, just as RENT and Tick, Tick... BOOM! in 2018. Both of them very raw shows with an extraordinary cast.

Now we are in preparation for a new season, but still doubting which show has to follow up these rock musicals with sex, drugs, rock & roll, good music and an outstanding storyline. Can you help us out with some recommendations?

https://hetnieuwetheater.nl/portfolio-item/rent/

Updated On: 3/8/20 at 06:08 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/7/20 at 9:22pm

Hair.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#3Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/7/20 at 9:32pm

How about an older classic with a large number of rolls like West Side Story, Oklahoma, or Guys and Dolls

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#4Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/7/20 at 9:41pm

Hedwig, Hair, American Idiot

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#5Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/7/20 at 10:43pm

Jesus Christ Superstar? American Idiot? Avenue Q?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#6Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/7/20 at 11:02pm

Where is your theater located?

Just give the world Love.

Ledaero Profile Photo
Ledaero
#7Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 12:52am

What space do you perform in? Your playing area looks absolutely enormous. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#8Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 1:44am

Ledaero said: "What space do you perform in? Your playing area looks absolutely enormous."

If you click on links in OP it looks like the Netherlands 

Adversus
#9Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 8:12am

Yes we're located in Holland, in Eindhoven. Every show we are looking for a unique location. Philips used to be located from origin in Eindhoven and that is why many old factories have remained in the architecture. See pictures below.

With RENT we could use an old fabric hall where they used to generate lightning bolts. 

Adversus
#10Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 8:14am

Yes, we are thinking about a modern adaptation of these shows!

Adversus
#11Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 8:15am

CATSNYrevival said: "Hair."

We find the storyline too thin.

What do you guys think about JAGGED LITTLE PILL and EVERYBODY IS TALKING ABOUT JAMIE?

cjmclaughlin10
#12Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 8:17am

Passing Strange

Adversus
#13Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/8/20 at 8:49am

cjmclaughlin10 said: "Passing Strange"

Never heard of! But sound really really interesting. Now listening to the cast recording on Spotify. Sounds vivid and certainly with a rock sound!

Adversus
#14Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/9/20 at 8:20am

What is your opinion about rock musicals like TABOO, BARE, JAGGED LITTLE PILL and EVERYBODY IS TALKING ABOUT JAMIE? Which one is the best combination of good music and a moving story?

A modern adaptation of PARADE is also on our minds. Is this show not too 'American historical' and therefore only palpable for US people and not Europeans?

Look at all the shows we played before at https://hetnieuwetheater.nl/portfolio/

inception Profile Photo
inception
#15Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/9/20 at 9:23am

It would perhaps be difficult to get permission to do Jagged Little Pill or Jamie as they are very new shows.

If yku are looking for a rock musical, maybe American Idiot, but if you think Hair has a thin story well then AI is even thinner.

It isn't rock music, but Urinetown has a very good environmental message but told very ironically through parody of classic American musical motifs. Not sure if it would translate to an audience unfamiliar with those.

Parade is very different from the rock musicals. I don't think a story about anti-semitism is wholly American.

Adversus
#16Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/9/20 at 9:42am

inception said: "It would perhaps be difficult to get permission to do Jagged Little Pill or Jamie as they are very new shows.

If yku are looking for a rock musical, maybe American Idiot, but if you think Hair has a thin story well then AI is even thinner.

It isn't rock music, but Urinetown has a very good environmental message but told very ironically through parody of classic American musical motifs. Not sure if it would translate to an audience unfamiliar with those.

Parade is very different from the rock musicals. I don't think a story about anti-semitism is wholly American.

"

Thanks for your opinion! Very helpfull to make the right choice. HAIR is on option, but not high on the list so far. TOMMY in a modern compressed version is a better option.

And PARADE is very different indeed, and I didn't mean the anti-semitism topic is typical American (that's universal and always important themes to show), but the American Civil War is less intertwined with our culture in Holland.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#17Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/9/20 at 9:42am

Tommy

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

lida rose Profile Photo
lida rose
#18Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/9/20 at 2:43pm

it doesn't have a storyline, but Runaways fits your other criteria.

jbird5
#19Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/9/20 at 5:19pm

American Psycho

Lazarus

Michelle chouraqui
#20Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/9/20 at 5:38pm

Heathers has become a tik tok sensation recently. Kids love it.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#21Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/10/20 at 2:20am

Not a rock score, but what about Cabaret?

FindingNamo
#22Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/10/20 at 3:22am

Runaways has a storyline kind of the way Company does.

Passing Strange might be tough to cast since it's specifically a story about African Americans.

What about Pippin?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Adversus
#23Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/10/20 at 7:45am

Wow! Amazing! Thank you so much for all your suggestions. The expectations are high after our version of RENT!

The list is getting longer, but also did we scratch some titles off the list. 

PIPPIN has a great story and thematics, but for young talents maybe too difficult to actually deliver the kind of gracious and authority the roles need..

CABARET is a powerful story, but maybe a little too dark for a talentshow, we guess.

Has anyone more information about RUNAWAYS? I can't find the music on Spotify. Was it on Broadway before?

HEATHERS is totally new for me, I am not the TikTok generation, but it's absolutely the audience we try to reach with our stories. I am listening the cast recording which sounds various and cool.

LAZARUS is now in Holland in a professional version from producer Stage Entertainment, not the right timing and the version from Ivo van Hove is already so strong that I don't know a director who has a clear and different vision to direct this musical right now.

AMERICAN PSYCHO, is familiar to me as a movie... but was it on Broadway?

jbird5
#24Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/10/20 at 10:33am

Adversus said: "Wow! Amazing! Thank you so much for all your suggestions. The expectations are high after our version of RENT!

The list is getting longer, but also did we scratch some titles off the list.

PIPPIN has a great story and thematics, but for young talents maybe too difficult to actually deliver the kind of gracious and authority the roles need..

CABARET is a powerful story, but maybe a little too dark for a talentshow, we guess.

Has anyone more information about RUNAWAYS? I can't find the music on Spotify. Was it on Broadway before?

HEATHERS is totally new for me, I am not the TikTok generation, but it's absolutely the audience we try to reach with our stories. I am listening the cast recording which sounds various and cool.

LAZARUS is now in Holland in a professional version from producer Stage Entertainment, not the right timing and the version from Ivo van Hove is already so strong that I don't know a director who has a clear and different vision to direct this musical right now.

AMERICAN PSYCHO, is familiar to me as a movie... but was it on Broadway?
"

American Psycho was briefly on Broadway a few years ago starring Benjamin Walker and Jennifer Damiano.  It had issues due to being extremely violent by Broadway standards.  It had music from the film + new music by Duncan Sheik.  There’s some material online if you look.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#25Which show after SPRING AWAKENING and RENT?
Posted: 3/10/20 at 10:43am

Also,

American Psycho transferred to Broadway from a run in London l.

Heathers is based on the great 1989 (non-musical) movie featuring Winona Ryder and Christian Slater. I’ve never seen the musical do not sure how closely the show adheres to the movie, but if you’re considering it, checking out the movie might be helpful.