Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#1Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 3:51pm

What do we think this will mean for the Tonys? I realize that they're 2 months earlier, but this seems like it'll continue for more than 2 months at the current rate of news... 

chuckydisc
#2Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 8:28pm

macbeth said: "What do we think this will mean for the Tonys? I realize that they're 2 months earlier, but this seems like it'll continue for more than 2 months at the current rate of news..."

Don't shows need to preview, open, be seen by voters BEFORE an Award's show can even happen?

Updated On: 3/18/20 at 08:28 PM

AlanB3
#3Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 8:46pm

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1121787

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#4Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 11:19pm

The ceremony is cancelled, the winners will be announced. But it's a different situation, because in the case of the Oliviers the problem is avoiding the crowd, while for the Tonys is that some shows havent even opened yet and can't be reviewed etc.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#5Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?
Posted: 3/18/20 at 8:22am

Well, Theatre World Awards or the Theatre Distuingshed Awards got pushed to September. So, the Tonys could be very much going through the same direction

MollyJeanneMusic
#6Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?
Posted: 3/18/20 at 9:16am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Well, Theatre World Awards or the Theatre Distuingshed Awards got pushed to September. So, the Tonys could be very much going through the same direction"

I'd honestly love a postponed ceremony, preferably with a postponed eligibility date as well.  There are so few shows this season, especially if some end up closing prematurely, that a few extra shows might make the ceremony even more fun.  Imagine Moulin Rouge vs. Once Upon a One More Time, West Side Story vs. The Music Man, etc.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

BWAY Baby2
#7Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?
Posted: 3/18/20 at 9:50am

Of course it will be postponed- things are not going to get back to normal so quickly- this will be several months of "new normal"- it is pretty obvious that things are going to get worse- and maybe much worse- before they get better- and one day ASAP a treatment or vaccine will be approved and we all can begin cleaning up the wreckage.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#8Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?
Posted: 3/18/20 at 1:52pm

It's looking more and more like it will be canceled. Such a bummer but completely necessary. 

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#9Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?
Posted: 3/18/20 at 2:56pm

Yeah, I'm pretty resigned to the fact that it's not happening. Would certainly love to be wrong!

https://deadline.com/2020/03/broadway-tony-awards-schedule-covid-19-postpoment-1202886677/

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#10Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?
Posted: 3/18/20 at 6:16pm

Why does that Deadline article act as if the deadline for eligibility can't change? I see no reason why the committee can't meet in April (or maybe teleconference) and draft and vote on new deadlines for during the summer and push the ceremony to September.

Sure, TONS of if's in there, but I don't know why it's June 7 or nothing.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#11Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?
Posted: 3/18/20 at 6:39pm

I don't see why it can't be delayed until August assuming things get back up & running in May. If Radio City is out, why not the Beacon Theater again?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#12Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?
Posted: 3/18/20 at 7:12pm

Honestly you guys, this is the most depressing message board I’ve ever seen. You guys are more dreary than watching CNN. Every single topic is so unbelievably depressing that I stopped posting altogether.

Anyway, of course the Tonys will reschedule! They are an American institution! There’s no reason on earth why if shows start back up in May or even June the Tonys wouldn’t be postponed till July or August.

The Tonys continued the day AFTER The Pulse shooting and continued the year of 9/11. They’ve also continued during every other virus outbreak known to man, all of which have gotten MUCH less publicity than this one. Relax, they’ll happen, but we just might need to wait a bit.

Just be safe but stop losing your heads. Shows will continue. The economic downfall will be bad, but everything will get back on track eventually. We’ve come through much, much worse.

Jarethan
#13Oliviers Canceled, Tonys Next?
Posted: 3/18/20 at 7:54pm

MollyJeanneMusic said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Well, Theatre World Awards or the Theatre Distuingshed Awards got pushed to September. So, the Tonys could be very much going through the same direction"

I'd honestly love a postponed ceremony, preferably with a postponed eligibility date as well. There are so few shows this season, especially if some end up closing prematurely, that a few extra shows might make the ceremony even more fun. Imagine Moulin Rouge vs. Once Upon a One More Time, West Side Story vs. The Music Man, etc.
"

Of course, you are assuming that Once Upon... won't be a total disaster, which IMHO is a big assumption.