pixeltracker

PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.

PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#1PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/1/20 at 8:03pm

It's been 22 years. Incredible.
And I still think that Daniel Radcliffe - despite some previous dissenters - would be letter perfect as Leo.
If (if, if, if) it could only happen...

Falsettolands
#2PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/1/20 at 8:17pm

That score is so, so, so, so, so good.

It's just so, so, so, so, so, so depressing. Really hard to sell to someone without prior knowledge of the material. Maybe a Roundabout revival would work, but I'm worried they'd thin the cast and orchestra, ruining those beautiful orchestrations and it'll sound like the stale Donmar Warehouse production.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#3PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/1/20 at 8:25pm

I love Parade. But I do not see this show ever having commercial success.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#4PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/1/20 at 8:27pm

^ Same.

Theatrefanboy1
#5PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/1/20 at 8:27pm

I would love for a revival it is so good. I just hope full orchestral and a cast that can really act

Ledaero Profile Photo
Ledaero
#6PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/1/20 at 8:43pm

It is in the works. Roundabout has been workshopping it for the past two or so years. Ben Platt is slated to be Leo. I believe they chose to program the Caroline, Or Change revival instead of Parade, so we'll likely see this sometime in the next two or so years. I just hope they're making a new draft, some combination of the Prince and Donmar production would be great.

KJ4 Profile Photo
KJ4
#7PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/1/20 at 9:54pm

I was asking Jason Brown about Parade on his show in NY few years ago. It sounded like no one was ready to make it in production but he mentioned that he did a kind of musical concert before and Jason said he s very proud and loved that.

I have seen the concert and Jeremy Jordan playing Leo. He really nailed it.

Updated On: 5/3/20 at 09:54 PM

zainmax
#8PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/1/20 at 11:47pm

I could see Tony Yazbek too...

rattleNwoolypenguin
#9PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/1/20 at 11:49pm

It’s not financially viable at all for broadway.

You just can’t get a mass audience on that premise.

And especially with what’s happening now it’s REALLY not the kind of risks producers are gonna take.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#10PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/1/20 at 11:58pm

Like many people, I love the score, and I think the show as a whole is very powerful. I was lucky enough to attend the concert from 2015, and it was an incredible experience.

That said, I've now see the show live 3 times, and at this point I find the show to be such an unrelenting downer. I usually hate when people criticize theatre for being too "depressing," because it's often a sign of a shallow theatregoer. Believe me, I love when theatre delves deep into hard-hitting emotions. But Parade goes to an extreme that can be genuinely painful and cringe-y to watch, at least upon multiple viewings. 

That said, I think the show deserves a new life, and if a non-profit like Roundabout is willing to take it on, I think that would be ideal.

I'm a big Daniel Radcliffe fan (I certainly like him more than I like Ben Platt), but I don't think he has the vocal chops for Leo. 

zainmax
#11PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/2/20 at 12:04am

JBroadway said: "Like many people, I love the score, and I think the show as a whole is very powerful. I was lucky enough to attend the concert from 2015, and it was an incredible experience.

That said, I've now see the show live 3 times, and at this point I find the show to be such an unrelenting downer. I usually hate when people criticize theatre for being too "depressing," because it's often a sign of a shallow theatregoer. Believe me, I love when theatre delves deep into hard-hitting emotions. But Parade goes to an extreme that can be genuinely painful and cringe-y to watch, at least upon multiple viewings.

That said, I think the show deserves a new life, and if a non-profit like Roundabout is willing to take it on, I think that would be ideal.

I'm a bigDaniel Radcliffe fan (I certainly like him more than I like Ben Platt), but I don't think he has the vocal chops for Leo.
"

It’s Not Over Yet needs a strong commanding male voice.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#12PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/2/20 at 6:42am

I’d love to see John Doyle take a stab at this. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#13PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/2/20 at 1:35pm

Perhaps...

Gideon Glick as Leo?

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#14PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/2/20 at 1:52pm

I'm a huge fan of the show. One of my favorite memories as a performer is getting to be in a concert staging of this show. I want to music direct it one day because the harmonies and orchestrations are just so beautiful. It is not a commercial show. It is far too dark and upsetting to really have a chance at a successful commercial run. I only see this coming back to NYC if a non-profit makes it part of their season and is able to take the hit if a limited run doesn't sell well. 

dexter3
#15PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/2/20 at 1:55pm

I don't know much...but I'm pretty darn sure the time of Corona and shortly-after Corona is NOT going to be a time for very depressing musicals. Time will tell, but I'm betting we see an uptick in programming of positive and joyful shows.

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#16PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/2/20 at 3:18pm

I love the musical , having seen both the original as well as several excellent regional theatre productions. Having said that, no matter who is in the cast, I could not sit through another production. It is just too depressing. I'll listen to songs from the show - but i won't see the show.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#17PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/2/20 at 3:35pm

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again.

The best commercial future Parade could have is if they turned it into a movie.

It really could work incredibly as an Oscar Batey film.

And if THAT was successful you could potentially bring it back to broadway

cfbrrr
#18PARADE is long overdue for a major NYC revival.
Posted: 5/2/20 at 4:39pm

“Parade,” with its monumental Jason Robert Brown score, was ruined by Hal Prince’s production — pure and simple.

Videos