pixeltracker

“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato

“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#1“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 7/30/20 at 10:12am

Just announced for Fall 2022.

The opera was composed by Kevin Puts and will have its Metropolitan Opera debut in the fall of 2022. Fleming will take on the role of Clarissa Vaughan, played on screen by Meryl Streep, with O'Hara as Laura Brown (originated by Julianne Moore) and DiDonato as Virginia Woolf (for which Nicole Kidman won an Oscar).

https://www.theatermania.com/new-york-city-theater/news/fleming-ohara-didonato-the-hours-opera_91258.html

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#2“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 7/30/20 at 10:14am

Originally announced in the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/style/maureen-dowd-renee-fleming.html

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#3“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 7/30/20 at 10:22am

Interesting that this will be the second Oscar nominated role of Julianne Moore’s that O’Hara will be be playing in a musical version.

StylishCynic
#4“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 7/30/20 at 4:05pm

I've long said that The Hours would make a lovely musical with a final output resembling a chamber musical a la The Light in the Piazza. (I'd also love if Adam Guettel wrote it, haha)

I know that many feel that the source material punishes women for the sake of characterization, and I recognize this criticism as valid (as one reviewer has said "does the movie really need to start and finish with Woolf's suicide?"“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato.

I have high hopes for the opera.

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#5“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 7/30/20 at 4:09pm

After having watched the sublime Woolf Works at the Royal Opera House and La Scala, I think The Hours would also make a terrific ballet. But yeah, a musical would be divine as well.

VintageSnarker
#6“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 7/30/20 at 7:41pm

I wish Fleming wasn't involved. Didn't she say that she retired from opera?

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#7“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 7/30/20 at 8:08pm

VintageSnarker said: "I wish Fleming wasn't involved. Didn't she say that she retired from opera?"

No.

https://www.npr.org/sections/deceptivecadence/2017/04/06/522876028/hold-up-ren-e-fleming-is-not-retiring-from-opera

She was just tired of doing her stalwart roles.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#8“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 7/30/20 at 11:10pm

I screamed when I read this. These three women will be terrific. Something to look forward to!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#9“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 8/2/20 at 3:34pm

Can’t wait to see this... but I’m upset that Philip Glass’ legendary score is being ignored. He’s the most famous living opera composer and I think it’s rude not to ask him to write the music... with a libretto by an actual Musical Theatre writer of course.

OhBoy17
#10“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 8/2/20 at 6:59pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Interesting that this will be the second Oscar nominated role of Julianne Moore’s that O’Hara will be be playing in a musical version."

And, coincidentally, Julianne Moore was Oscar-nominated for both of those roles in the same year! Two of my favorite movies EVER.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#11“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 8/4/20 at 4:11pm

Fleming, O'Hara and DiDonato.  Are you kidding me?  Something wonderful to add to my Bucket List.

Non sibi sed patriae

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#12“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 9/6/20 at 1:17am

I'm very excited for this! However I can't stand the movie lol. Let's hope the opera is a big improvement!

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#13“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 9/6/20 at 2:06am

Will there be a prosthetic nose?

StylishCynic
#14“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 11/21/22 at 2:34pm

Very exciting for the performances to begin tomorrow night. Early industry feedback is very positive –although, the production wouldn't be allowing access for any pre-performance hitjobs haha.

Looking forward to seeing the livestream in a few weeks. Given the casting alone, I expect that this has a guaranteed recording attached to it.

Did anyone attend the Philadelphia concert performance or the invited dress rehearsal over the weekend? 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#15“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 11/21/22 at 2:58pm

I’ll be there in a couple weeks. Very much looking forward.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#16“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 11/21/22 at 3:22pm

Will be there in-person for the performance being shown live in movie theaters, and I'm very excited for my first visit to the Met.

whatever2
#17“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 11/21/22 at 3:26pm

For those who subscribe, the Met's channel on SiriusXM is broadcasting the prima tomorrow (Tuesday) evening.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#18“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 11/21/22 at 8:17pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Will be there in-person for the performance being shown live in movie theaters, and I'm very excited for my first visit to the Met."

Taffy, you will love it! Don't forget to look up as the lights go down. Also, if you have a chance, check out their gift shop. They have some really cool things in there. And a glass of champagne, if you drink, is just always nice between acts. Also, not sure if they are still there, but last time I went there was an exhibit of costumes on the second level. I got my champagne and walked along and looked at them. Have a great time.

Just give the world Love.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#19“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 11/21/22 at 8:29pm

uncageg said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Will be there in-person for the performance being shown live in movie theaters, and I'm very excited for my first visit to the Met."

Taffy, you will love it! Don't forget to look up as the lights go down. Also, if you have a chance, check out their gift shop. They have some really cool things in there. And a glass of champagne, if you drink, is just always nice between acts. Also, not sure if they are still there, but last time I went there was an exhibit of costumes on the second level. I got my champagne and walked along and looked at them. Have a great time.
"

Thank you! I'll definitely give myself some time to take it all in. I always thought my first opera there would La Boheme, but this one seemed like an event I shouldn't miss.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#20“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 11/21/22 at 9:32pm

whatever2: For those who subscribe, the Met's channel on SiriusXM is broadcasting the prima tomorrow (Tuesday) evening.

Thank You for sharing this info! 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#21“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 11/21/22 at 11:21pm

TaffyDavenport said: "uncageg said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Will be there in-person for the performance being shown live in movie theaters, and I'm very excited for my first visit to the Met."

"

Thank you! I'll definitely give myself some time to take it all in. I always thought my first opera there would La Boheme, but this one seemed like an event I shouldn't miss.
"

Most definitely. This is big. I wanted to go but I was not sure what my schedule would be. In hindsight I wish I had just gotten a ticket and made it work. 

La Boheme will be back. And you will be back to see it! Please post your thoughts on the performance and your first experience at The Met.

Just give the world Love.

ardiem
#22“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 11/22/22 at 5:16pm

MadonnaMusical said: "Can’t wait to see this... but I’m upset that Philip Glass’ legendary score is being ignored. He’s the most famous living opera composer and I think it’s rude not to ask him to write the music... with a libretto by an actual Musical Theatre writer of course."

Seconding this! Works like Satyagraha, Akhnaten, and EotB (and Glass' contemporaries) are the only things that have brought me to The Met. Glass' film score to The Hours was phenomenal and I was disappointed to find he's not involved with this.

Updated On: 11/22/22 at 05:16 PM

JasonC3
#23“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 11/22/22 at 5:55pm

I love the Glass film score, but I don't need to see it replicated in a production that treats the materials differently.  The music needs to serve the new story as written and how it unfolds.

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#25“The Hours” at The Met - Renée Fleming, Kelli O’Hara, & Joyce DiDonato
Posted: 11/24/22 at 9:46am

JasonC3 said: "I love the Glass film score, but I don't need to see it replicated in a production that treats the materials differently. The music needs to serve the new story as written and how it unfolds."

I know, right?  The world of opera has many examples of different composers creating their own versions of works.