pixeltracker

Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN

Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN

macbeth Profile Photo
macbeth
#1Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 8/16/20 at 7:59am

I believe this is the first major production coming back to Sydney? 

https://aussietheatre.com.au/news/145006

“Foundation Theatres is delighted to be reopening the Sydney Lyric in November with this brilliant show” said Foundation Theatres owner Stephen Found. “We are a proud part of the wonderful tapestry of venues, producers, artists, managers, technicians, crew and creatives that all combine to make magic on our stages, and we want to see them back at work. It’s now time to act to restore confidence in the theatre industry for theatre-goers to feel safe when seeing shows again and for theatre-makers to weave their magic. To all who love the live theatre experience, our message is clear: Help us to raise the curtain on Sydney’s theatres and reignite the creative industries in NSW. Join us for PIPPIN. As the players in PIPPIN tell us as the curtain rises: We’ve got magic to do.”

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#2Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 8/16/20 at 8:34am

Well, it definitely plays up the suicide subtext...

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

binau Profile Photo
binau
#3Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 8/16/20 at 8:53am

Will there be social distancing? The lyric is an absolute barn and I’m sure John Front would be able to negotiate good rates for a theatre that would otherwise be unused - so it might be economically viable.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#4Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 8/16/20 at 4:11pm

I'll be there, even if I have to sit on a strangers lap----start casting, and this will be very interesting to find out who plays who.

We certainly don't have a Patina Miller here that I know about.

Updated On: 8/16/20 at 04:11 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#5Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 8/18/20 at 6:54pm

And you never will, she is one of a kind. 

Make sure to ask permission when you sit on their lap though! 

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#6Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 8/19/20 at 2:33am

I am a little skeptical with this one.  I will buy my tickets nonetheless but I am not really expecting that is going to happen.

It is so odd that it seems to have more or less sprung up out of the blue - with a three month lead in for ticket sales - no cast announcement for a show that is largely unknown to those outside of the theatre world - and in the middle of a pandemic.

It perplexes me.

I am actually not even convinced that Frozen and Hamilton won't be pushed back, especially if the borders remain closed to interstate tourists.

I look forward to seeing what happens in any case.

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#7Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 8/19/20 at 3:09am

Agree this ain’t gonna happen. Frozen and Hamilton will be delayed as well.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

trpguyy
#8Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 8/20/20 at 3:27pm

Updated On: 8/20/20 at 03:27 PM

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#9Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 8/21/20 at 2:35am

rosscoe(au) said: "Agree this ain’t gonna happen. Frozen and Hamilton will be delayed as well."

What I find interesting is that I have seen the advertisement for Pippin on TV a LOT in the past week - and I hardly watch free to air.  I just can't understand what the thinking is behind it, why pump all that money on TV if you know it isn't going to happen.... and the season so far is only three weeks long so it is not worth doing it to just accrue interest from the ticket sales.

Re Frozen - Come From Away have announced they are at the Capital in June so Frozen being pushed back does not seem like a possibility unless it is going to have a very short run.  As it is a 6 month run is fairly short for Disney.

Crazy times indeed.

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

Lousy
#10Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 8/26/20 at 12:44am

SweetLips22 said: "I'll be there, even if I have to sit on a strangers lap----start casting, and this will be very interesting to find out who plays who.

We certainly don't have a Patina Miller here that I know about.
"

Zahra Newman would be incredible.

No one gives a damn about the list of shows you've seen.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#11Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 10/8/20 at 3:44pm

It looks like Patina Miller's understudy/replacement Gabrielle is being flown over to play the role!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/8/20 at 03:44 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#12Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 10/8/20 at 4:36pm

Here's the full cast announcement:
https://aussietheatre.com.au/news/pippin-cast-announced

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#13Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 10/8/20 at 6:13pm

So this isn’t the six-person Pippin they’d discussed before? Or was that a different pandemic staging.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#14Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 10/12/20 at 2:52pm

This appears to be the Diane Paulus revival.

A minor bit of scandal is happening with the show right now, a local complaining that the Leading Player should not be imported:

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/musicals/i-am-angry-musical-star-slams-pippin-producers-over-casting-decision-20201009-p563qs.html

SouthernCakes
#15Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 10/12/20 at 3:08pm

I’m not sure what her complaint is? She auditioned and they didn’t want her? That’s the business.

I’m more curious if Equity is allowing the Broadway performer to do this or because its in Australia, they don’t really have any say.

LizzieCurry
#16Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 10/12/20 at 3:45pm

This all ties in with the controversy after the super-white Rob Guest Endowment announcement. I can see the issue — there are plenty of non-white Australian performers who could've done this, but the optics (at the least; there are obviously a lot of other problems at play here) aren't great to bring in an American.
https://artsreview.com.au/statement-by-the-equity-diversity-committee-on-the-rob-guest-endowment/

(Then again, I wouldn't blame Americans for looking overseas for work at this point.)

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#17Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 10/13/20 at 2:23am

Who is Zahra Newman, Lousy?

Pippin is an import too, I think--could be wrong.

For such a short season theatre starved patrons would be happy to see Minnie Mouse as The Leading Player, or a coloured male, or Chinese or whatever nationality.

And I think that KAK will pull in her TV followers-a clever bit of stunt casting. I wonder if the make-up people will undo what untold $s have created to make her look 'older than she ever intended to be'?

ElphabaGoodman
#18Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 10/13/20 at 3:16am

Zahra Newman played Nabulungi in the Australian production of The Book of Mormon. This production seems to be put together fairly quickly, I can see why they’d hire someone that has experience in the role.

Ainsley Melham, who is playing Pippin, is 100% Australian, originated Aladdin in Australia. He just happened to move to the Broadway company and then the US tour.

No one has mentioned yet, but Leslie Bell who was a Broadway gypsy in the 90s (performed in 7 Broadway shows) is playing Fastrada. She’s American, but has been living in Sydney for about 20 years now.

LizzieCurry
#19Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 10/13/20 at 10:14am

I saw Zahra as Nabulungi and she was fantastic. I also thought she would've made a wonderful Leading Player!

SouthernCakes
#20Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 10/13/20 at 2:50pm

Seems like they’re bringing over a lot of Broadway people for Frozen.

LizzieCurry
#21Australian Theatre to Re-Open with PIPPIN
Posted: 10/13/20 at 3:20pm

Are they?

https://frozenthemusical.com.au/cast/

Videos