IATSE and BLM...bueller....?

massofmen
#1IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 9:11am

IATSE is one of the least diverse unions in the country.
I see so much about BLM and BIPOC, for casting and on stage talent and creative talent. 
I haven't seen a thing on IATSE (especially Local 1) and how they need to start being more inclusive seeing how its a Long island and NJ. nepotistic, white boys club. 
Has anyone else seen anything concerning this? Or is it just going to stay all white MAGA boys for the foreseeable future in Local 1?

KKeller6
#2IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 9:58am

There's been a road to membership via a test for about 30 years now. It's open to anyone. And everyone.

iluvtheatertrash
#3IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 11:03am

Check out their Twitter feed if you think they’re MAGA folks. They most certainly are not.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#4IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 11:11am

Their Twitter feed doesn’t represent their members. Their Twitter feed is a joke. 95% of local 1 are Trumpers.

KKeller6
#5IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 11:37am

Honestly? Far less than 50%. It might be closer to 50% Republican, even tho I think that number is below 50%. But not every Republican is a Trumper. Like, in a lot of instances, the loud minority gets counted more. This is the second, or third thread since Covid started that has a lot of anti Local 1 opinions on it. I'm not sure why that is. A union that had provided an excellent wage, and an excellent skill and has served the theatre well for 100+ years. I'm closing in on 40 years a member. It's a great union. And, I think it's a wonderful template that we should be focusing on to help the less fortunate in the way that we CAN provide good paying jobs, with benefits like health insurance and a pension. I use local one as an arguing point often. EVERYONE should, and could be a fortunate as I am. These are the types of jobs we should be striving for in our country. And, quite frankly, just this morning, Biden announced they would replace the government car fleet with electric, American made cars. Just a perfect example of what I'm taking about.

iluvtheatertrash
#6IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 11:43am

95%? Prove it.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

thedrybandit
#7IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 12:06pm

unclevictor said: "Their Twitter feed doesn’t represent their members. Their Twitter feed is a joke. 95% of local 1 are Trumpers."

It is absolutely NOT 95%. Yes, they exist, but the vast majority are not Trumpers. It's an excellent union, with a lot of unfortunate baggage from the past, but leadership has long been changing for the better, and will just continue to do so, especially as more people continue to earn their cards. The newest "generation" of cardholders encompasses people of all genders, races, and orientations, and as they find their voice in the union, it can only change for the best.

KKeller6, congrats on 40 years. That's a hell of an accomplishment.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#8IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 12:40pm

KKeller6 said: "Honestly? Far less than 50%. It might be closer to 50% Republican, even tho I think that number is below 50%. But not every Republican is a Trumper. Like, in a lot of instances, the loud minority gets counted more. This is the second, or third thread since Covid started that has a lot of anti Local 1 opinions on it. I'm not sure why that is. A union that had provided an excellent wage, and an excellent skill and has served the theatre well for 100+ years. I'm closing in on 40 years a member. It's a great union. And, I think it's a wonderful template that we should be focusing on to help the less fortunate in the way that we CAN provide good paying jobs, with benefits like health insurance and a pension. I use local one as an arguing point often. EVERYONE should, and could be a fortunate as I am. These are the types of jobs we should be striving for in our country. And, quite frankly, just this morning, Biden announced they would replace the government car fleet with electric, American made cars. Just a perfect example of what I'm taking about."

Incredibly well said. What an accomplishment!

95%? Prove it.

Oh, he can't because he just made that up. He knows nothing about that union. Lies and assumptions are poison and don't help anyone, of course. Thankfully we have people actually IN the union to set people like that straight. Thanks again, KKeller! 

Owen22
#9IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 2:34pm

From my experience, the only "overt" racism I have ever noticed in Broadway circles (and we're talking horrible ethnic jokes) are IATSE members.

It's a typical, New York specific, old, straight boys club of a union. That is, of course, changing, but like most every other NYC area unions, there is a heavy strain of straight, white men who want to hold onto things the way they "always were".

massofmen
#10IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 2:37pm

KKeller You have been a member of local 1 for 40 years. Congrats. 
How many black people in local 1 have you worked with backstage? Be honest. 

I have been a part of the broadway community for 30 years. I've seen 1 black person in local 1. 

one..single black person. In 30 years of working on broadway shows. 

Not to mention, not one asian, indian, or hispanic person.
I think maybe 2 women? 
And you don't think its a white, nepotistic boys club? LOL. ok. I'm SURE thats just because they haven't taken the test and not because the leadership decides who works and who doesn't in local 1. How many heads of theaters are people of color...zero? truly..which heads in which of the 37 theaters is a person of color. 
I think the answer is zero. 

IATSE needs to take a look in the mirror. 

Updated On: 1/26/21 at 02:37 PM

Fosse76
#11IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 4:24pm

massofmen said: "KKeller You have been a member of local 1 for 40 years. Congrats. 

I have been a part of the broadway community for 30 years. I've seen 1 black person in local 1. 
"

IATSE is more than just Local 1. Even ushers are represented by IATSE.

Islander_fan
#12IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 4:24pm

By “head of theatre” do you mean house managers? I only ask because If thats the case the. Then thanks for the laugh.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#13IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 5:55pm

Fosse76 said: "IATSE is more than just Local 1. Even ushers are represented by IATSE."

This thread is discussing Local 1, not the other locals.

Islander_fan said: "By “head of theatre” do you mean house managers? I only ask because If thats the case the. Then thanks for the laugh."

They're talking about house heads (ie. Head LX, Head Carp, etc.)

Sampatches
#14IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 5:56pm

Islander_fan said: "By “head of theatre” do you mean house managers? I only ask because If thats the case the. Then thanks for the laugh."

They mean department heads/house positions, which are full time positions at the theatres/employed by the theatre owners instead of production contract ones which are employees of the show.

Anyway, the head of props at The Golden is a woman of color 

Updated On: 1/26/21 at 05:56 PM

Fosse76
#15IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 6:12pm

Tag said: "Fosse76 said: "IATSE is more than just Local 1. Even ushers are represented by IATSE."

This thread is discussingLocal 1, not the other locals.

Not based on the title or first post of this thread. The only mention of Local 1 was a parenthetical,  and clearly not the sole focus.

unclevictor
#16IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 6:33pm

I stand by my 95% comment. I’ve worked on Broadway for over 45 years. 
Your lies and assumptions about people are poison. 

Sutton Ross said: "KKeller6 said: "Honestly? Far less than 50%. It might be closer to 50% Republican, even tho I think that number is below 50%. But not every Republican is a Trumper. Like, in a lot of instances, the loud minority gets counted more. This is the second, or third thread since Covid started that has a lot of anti Local 1 opinions on it. I'm not sure why that is. A union that had provided an excellent wage, and an excellent skill and has served the theatre well for 100+ years. I'm closing in on 40 years a member. It's a great union. And, I think it's a wonderful template that we should be focusing on to help the less fortunate in the way that we CAN provide good paying jobs, with benefits like health insurance and a pension. I use local one as an arguing point often. EVERYONE should, and could be a fortunate as I am. These are the types of jobs we should be striving for in our country. And, quite frankly, just this morning, Biden announced they would replace the government car fleet with electric, American made cars. Just a perfect example of what I'm taking about."

Incredibly well said. What an accomplishment!

95%? Prove it.

Oh, he can't because he just made that up. He knows nothing about that union. Lies and assumptions are poison and don't help anyone, of course. Thankfully we have people actually IN the union to set people like that straight. Thanks again, KKeller!

"

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#17IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 6:50pm

Islander_fan
#18IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 7:12pm

I am not a member of IATSE local 1. I am, however, a proud member of IATSE local 306. And, while I got hired the old fashion way of application, interview etc, there are other ushers who haven’t. I know many ushers who got the gig because they have a member of their family who’s also an usher etc. I can give you plenty of examples like that. I mean, yes, a lot of getting work in the industry has all to do with who you know, your work ethic and character also being at the right place at the right time. 

If a supervising usher wanted to use me to sub in for a shift, rather than trying someone new, more power to them. It’s their call, and their call alone. And, a friend of mine who does lights, spoke to me about how he really had to bust his ass to show that he was good enough to be there in the beginning since his father is also local 1. And, he hated how many co workers of his assumed he got the job off his father’s coattails. So, it’s not just local1 that has people getting gigs based on who they know etc.

Updated On: 1/26/21 at 07:12 PM

thedrybandit
#19IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 9:47pm

unclevictor said: "I stand by my 95% comment. I’ve worked on Broadway for over 45 years.
"

Mmkay. You stand by that, but it's absolutely wrong.

unclevictor
#20IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 10:06pm

Updated On: 1/26/21 at 10:06 PM

unclevictor
#21IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/26/21 at 10:11pm

Mmkay. I stand by that, and I’m absolutely right :)

thedrybandit said: "unclevictor said: "I stand by my 95% comment. I’ve worked on Broadway for over 45 years.
"

Mmkay. You stand by that, but it's absolutely wrong.
"

KKeller6
#22IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/27/21 at 12:34am

Honest? OK, I'll be 100% honest. When I began back in the early 80's, Local 1 did have an African-American business agent for legit. But, we didn't have many  POC.  Then, we began to give an apprenticeship test open to everyone. The dates were published in the trades and the top scores were put on an apprenticeship list. This has been going on for about 30 years now, although I do not know the exact date.

Who have I worked with that are POC recently? Well, believe it, or not, the list is long. I mostly work for the Shuberts. Honestly, I don't even know all the heads in the other chains. (I'm sure I know them, but exactly who's where? I couldn't name every one of them) 

Recently, I worked in the Golden for the Head Prop man who was a POC. He got promoted to the Imperial and replaced by a woman who is a POC. He joined the head electrician over at the Imperial who is a POC. The carpenter dept. at the Schoenfeld has 2 people, and the first sub is a POC. I've worked with him often. I've also worked at the Ambassador with the POC head of department there, and one has recently retired from that theatre as well. Also, the Winter Garden, Booth  and Belasco all have heads who are POC. Among others  And this is just the Shuberts. So, I mean I'll stop there. The list is quite long and the crew is reflected more and more in this way. Many of these aforementioned people have worked at Radio City as well. As well as other POC there. So between those 2 organizations and MSG, which can hire over a hundred hands for 1 gig, I can easily say I've worked with hundreds of POC. 200-300? Probably. 

So, yes, I think Local 1 gets a bad rep in the dept. I think we have improved and are doing our part to make the world a better, more equal place for all. Change sometimes is slow, and  I get that it can be too slow for some. But the process continues and hopefully will keep moving forward for all. 

From my experience, the only "overt" racism I have ever noticed in Broadway circles (and we're talking horrible ethnic jokes) are IATSE members.

I will certainly agree some guys love to tell ethnic jokes that by today's standards can be considered over the line. Let's not take this as a sign that we all-or even they, for that matter-hate others. Old habits are hard to break. Harder as you get older and you yearn for the "old days". How many of us yearn for the old days in ways that have nothing to do with race? I sure do. So, it's not as simple as turning off a light switch sometimes. Am I saying there are no racists in Local 1? There are racists everywhere. And the rest of us need to do our best to weed that behavior out, regardless of where we find it. 

Updated On: 1/27/21 at 12:34 AM

Owen22
#23IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/27/21 at 9:08am

KKeller6 said: "I will certainly agree some guys love to tell ethnic jokes that by today's standards can be considered over the line. Let's not take this as a signthat we all-or even they, for that matter-hate others. Old habits are hard tobreak. Harder as you get older and you yearn for the "old days". How many of us yearn for the old days in ways that have nothing to do with race? I sure do. So, it's not as simple as turning off a light switch sometimes. Am I saying there are no racists in Local 1? There are racists everywhere. And the rest of usneed to do our best to weed that behavior out, regardless of where we find it."

Except for pricings and how expensive everything seems to be now, I never, ever, EVER yearn for the "old days". 

"

Mm882
#24IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/27/21 at 1:28pm

The crew at the Imperial is very diverse including BIPOC dept heads.

KKeller6
#25IATSE and BLM...bueller....?
Posted: 1/27/21 at 2:29pm

Except for pricings and how expensive everything seems to be now, I never, ever, EVER yearn for the "old days". 

So, except for the times you yearn for the old days, you don't yearn for the old days? Prices certainly are part of "the old days". That's kinda what I meant. We all have reasons we look back. Yours is the financial situation. Others might be something else. Nothing wrong with that. 

Videos