pixeltracker

Universal's WICKED Films - News & Discussion Thread- Page 16

Universal's WICKED Films - News & Discussion Thread

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#375Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 5:48pm

Yeah, I think this is the only way to go. Interesting that Winnie Holzman’s also credited with lyrics in that breakdown. That’s never been the case before, right? I imagine she’s helped to write new songs?

bwayobsessed
#376Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 5:49pm

Not at all surprised by this Nessa choice, seems like the right one.

re: Jordan Fisher, I get that he can play dorky like Evan Hansen but I think in a film he’s way to handsome for Boq

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#377Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 5:52pm

NOWaWarning said: "Yeah, I think this is the only way to go.Interesting that Winnie Holzman’s also credited with lyrics in that breakdown. That’s never been the case before, right? I imagine she’s helped to write new songs?"

This seems to be the most interesting thing to come out of this casting call.

smallvillefan16
#378Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 7:10pm

Anyone else think Alyson Stroker has this in the bag?  She's the first person that came to mind.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#379Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 7:25pm

smallvillefan16 said: "Anyone else think Alyson Stroker has this in the bag? She's the first person that came to mind."

Yeah I will be VERY surprised if Ali Stroker isn’t cast as Nessarose.

pmensky
#380Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 7:36pm

I seriously doubt they’d go through the charade of doing a national search if they knew they wanted Ali. It actually would make them look bad if they put hundreds of unknown, wheel chair using actors through an audition process then went with a Tony Award winner who everyone speculated would be cast for years. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#381Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 7:48pm

I know of one actress/comedian who is in a wheelchair was offered an audition, so they are definitely sourcing SAG level actresses right now.  

Globefan
#382Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 8:20pm

I wonder which role was be cast next. 

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#383Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 9:19pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "I know of one actress/comedian who is in a wheelchair was offered an audition, so they are definitely sourcing SAG level actresses right now. "

Interesting. Well Nessa is not a hard role, so it’s not like they need someone with Tony Award winning-level talent to pull it off, and it might be nice to give someone else their big break.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#384Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 9:21pm

Globefan said: "I wonder which role was be cast next.

"

If they are aiming for authentic casting, it shouldn’t be quite as hard to find a goat to play Doctor Dillamond. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Globefan
#385Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 9:22pm

I wonder how much Winnie Holzman deepened the script for the movie in comparison to the stage version. 

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#386Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 9:26pm

If Kiera Allen can sing then I think she’d be a perfect Nessarose for the movie. She definitely has a look of Nessarose!

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

BrodyFosse123
#387Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 10:06pm

Plannietink08 said: "If Kiera Allen can sing then I think she’d be a perfect Nessarose for the movie. She definitely has a look of Nessarose!"

Based on what I’m hearing, I’m sure her agent has been contacted for her to consider auditioning.  

Fosse76
#388Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 11:23pm

How is this is going to work? She is able to walk after she be comes the governor.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#389Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/21 at 11:31pm

Fosse76 said: "How is this is going to work? She is able to walk after she be comes the governor."

CGI

BrodyFosse123
#390Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/21 at 6:57am

Fosse76 said: "How is this is going to work? She is able to walk after she be comes the governor."

I’m sure this will be modified in the story.  Having the character become so-called “normal” later in the story will cause an uproar of controversy in various communities.  Regardless how it is in the stage version. Countless film adaptations have made politically correct adjustments while still leaving the stage versions as is.

pmensky
#391Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/21 at 8:03am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Fosse76 said: "How is this is going to work? She is able to walk after she be comes the governor."

I’m sure this will be modified in the story. Having the character become so-called “normal” later in the story will cause an uproar of controversy in various communities. Regardless how it is in the stage version. Countless film adaptations have made politically correct adjustments while still leaving the stage versions as is.
"

I don’t know about that. Removing her ability to walk means rewriting the origin of the ruby slippers and the creation of the Tin Man. 

bwayobsessed
#392Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/21 at 11:13am

My first thought was Ali as well but the more I thought about it, even though Elphaba is green, with the casting of Cynthia Erivo I think it would be pretty odd if her family was white. 

As far as changes to the script, Nessa can still get mad at Boq trying to leave and magic him without her walking. The slippers can either stay silver like in the original Oz novel  or be ruby from the beginning 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#393Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/21 at 11:19am

Dorothy didn't find a wheelchair under her house.

pmensky
#394Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/21 at 11:24am

Tag said: "Dorothy didn't find a wheelchair under her house."

Considering how films like to show scenes that are talked about on stage in plays and musicals, I’m guessing we’ll see the tornado going through Oz. What’s worse, erasing Nessa’s disability or keeping her in the wheelchair and seeing her getting sucked out of it by a tornado?

pmensky
#395Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/21 at 11:27am

bwayobsessed said: "My first thought was Ali as well but the more I thought about it, even though Elphaba is green, with the casting of Cynthia Erivo I think it would be pretty odd if her family was white.

As far as changes to the script, Nessa can still get mad at Boq trying to leave and magic him without her walking. The slippers can either stay silver like in the original Oz novel or be ruby from the beginning
"

So what’s Boq’s motivation for leaving all of a sudden? And how does switching the slippers to silver help? How do they become magical? If they’re magical from the beginning, why wouldn’t she use them to walk?

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#396Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/21 at 11:29am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Fosse76 said: "How is this is going to work? She is able to walk after she be comes the governor."

I’m sure this will be modified in the story. Having the character become so-called “normal” later in the story will cause an uproar of controversy in various communities. Regardless how it is in the stage version. Countless film adaptations have made politically correct adjustments while still leaving the stage versions as is.
"

This conversation is so mind numbingly stupid, I can't even... The character is written as a somewhat shy but very resentful person who has always wanted to be able to walk. Elphaba is effectively giving her own sister shoes which help her walk, not unlike a lot of actually medical technology which has existed for a few decades now (depending on your disability). If that is seen as "making her normal", it would most likely come from a hypothetical rage-fueled social media warrior, or someone who has unfortunately had their brain addled by being Very Online. It's never ever even implied in the text. Can we give up trying to create drama?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BrodyFosse123
#397Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/21 at 12:00pm

No one is TRYING to create drama.  It’s just the way things are now, sadly.  The creative team of IN THE HEIGHTS were adamant to cast real Latino actors then they get attacked because they overlooked skin colors.  Heck, there are even those going ape-**** that Rachel Zegler is not Puerto Rican but Colombian in the new WEST SIDE STORY.  They find it horrible a Puerto Rican actress wasn’t able to play the role. 

It’s quite obvious if they make a disabled person “able”, then it’s implied they are now finally “normal.”  I’m sure the Twitter Nazis and others would be in an uproar.  I personally think the storyline in WICKED is fine, I’m just MENTIONING how things will unfold.  

Globefan
#398Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/21 at 1:19pm

My #1 choice for Morrible is Susan Sarandon 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#399Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/21 at 1:26pm

I extend this to every single person who needs this piece of mind:

No one will ever win with twitter cause it is a complete cesspool of millions of opinions including the most bad faith opinions one could have. 

All we can do is use professional consultants and be tremendously well intentioned.

Twitter is so toxic now. It's just simply too many voices and mob anarchy.

Updated On: 12/2/21 at 01:26 PM