Hadestown Synopsis

Nolan LuPone
#1Hadestown Synopsis
Posted: 8/22/21 at 5:06pm

Hey all. My family and I are going to see Hadestown this October and they dont know anything about it. I dont exactly remember how I got to know the show myself so I need someone elses judgement. As most of you know Hadestown can be complicated for some because it is filled with metaphors, so I was wondering if I should read them the synopsis for Act I beforehand so they arent as confused? Thanks.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#2Hadestown Synopsis
Posted: 8/22/21 at 5:28pm

Hey Nolan,

I went in blind when I saw it for the first time. It is not confusing in any way, I don't think it's necessary to read them anything. Enjoy this beautiful piece of art, it's just absolutely brilliant. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Hadestown Synopsis
Posted: 8/22/21 at 5:58pm

How old are your family members? Do they WANT to know ahead of time?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#4Hadestown Synopsis
Posted: 8/22/21 at 6:11pm

If they know the Orpheus & Eurydice Greek myth, they’ll be fine going in. Otherwise the show is pretty straightforward plot wise

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

bear88
#5Hadestown Synopsis
Posted: 8/22/21 at 8:22pm

I don’t think the show is confusing. If they know the myth, it would be especially easy. But even if not, it’s not a terribly complicated musical.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6Hadestown Synopsis
Posted: 8/22/21 at 10:03pm

I only vaguely knew about the myth and didn’t bother to read about the show before I saw it and enjoyed hte hell out of it. You’ll probably be fine.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#7Hadestown Synopsis
Posted: 8/22/21 at 11:17pm

I would say let them discover it when seeing it. I think I read a bit about the myth/story way back in the show's early days but forgot it. Glad I did. The ending had more of an impact not knowing/remembering it. And it lingered with me.

Just give the world Love.

bway0
#8Hadestown Synopsis
Posted: 8/23/21 at 1:41am

LizzieCurry said: "I only vaguely knew about the myth and didn’t bother to read about the show before I saw it and enjoyed hte hell out of it. You’ll probably be fine."

I second this. Except I wasn’t familiar with the myth at all! I enjoyed the show so much I went back the next weekend to see it again to fully understand the story. 

Updated On: 8/23/21 at 01:41 AM

Rainah
#9Hadestown Synopsis
Posted: 8/23/21 at 1:51pm

Depends on what they like in theatre, and what they value. I'll often add things into the description to draw attention to thinks I know the person will appreciate. 

For my parents, I might say "It's a retelling of two greek myths set in 1930s New Orleans" because they don't know any greek myths and if I don't mention they atypical setting, they're going to be saying "Well why does it look like that if they're supposed to be in Greece". It's a primer to expect the show to be a bit more loose and metaphorical. 

For my more radical or literary friends, I'll mention the ecofeminist themes, and the championing of workers rights and non toxic masculinity. 

If I think the person knows any greek myths, or if I suspect they would value knowing it, I'll mention the myths by name and go through the traditional version if they want me to.

But a good general synopsis is "Hadestown is an adaption of the myths of Hades and Persephone, and Orpheus and Eurydice, set in 1930s New Orleans. Are you familiar with the myths? Do you want to know them?"

Def respect if people want to go in blind, you don't NEED to know anything. But I do think the show is best when you know the myth ahead of time. When I saw the London production, they handed out a detailed synopsis ahead of time, to read while waiting for the show to start. The tradition in Greek tragedy is for the audience to know the whole show ahead of time, some believe that is necessary to achieve proper catharsis.  But depends what they value. 

Videos