MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??

hearthemsing22
#1MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/4/21 at 12:08am

Did anyone see Mystic Pizza tonight?? I think it may have had its first preview at the Ogunquit Playhouseany reviews?? Im so curious about how it is!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#2MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/4/21 at 1:34pm

I doubt anyone has ever heard of that playhouse much less a town that has less than a thousand people. Im sure it was well attended tho. 

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#3MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/4/21 at 2:39pm

Ogunquit Playhouse is a very well known regional theatre. I’m sure someone from this board is planning to see the show during its run.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#4MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/4/21 at 2:47pm

Yes, it's a very well-known venue. Here's a great Wiki piece on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogunquit_Playhouse

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#5MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/4/21 at 3:05pm

You really ought not to post when you know nothing about the topic.

Sutton Ross
#6MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/4/21 at 3:14pm

Thanks, Michelle. It seems like such a tiny little place. It doesn't seem anyone has seen it so far but I hope they post on here when they do! 

hearthemsing22
#7MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/4/21 at 3:17pm

Sutton Ross said: "Thanks, Michelle. It seems like such a tiny little place. It doesn't seem anyone has seen it so far but I hope they post on here when they do!"

Oh me too! I never let reviews influence whether or not I see a show I was already interested in (in fact, I’m seeing this musical. I think I’m seeing the final performance).  I was just curious if anyone had actually seen it, if there were any early reports :) 

Sutton Ross
#8MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/4/21 at 3:29pm

Nice. Have a great time!

hearthemsing22
#9MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/4/21 at 3:32pm

Sutton Ross said: "Nice. Have a great time! "

thank you!! While I (again) don’t believe everything should be adapted for the stage, I did watch this particular movie thinking it could work. So I’m excited!! 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#10MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/4/21 at 7:37pm

gymman said: "You really ought not to post when you know nothing about the topic."

yesHere on the West Coast, we are definitely familiar with the Ogunquit Playhouse.  It's a national treasure!

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 9/4/21 at 07:37 PM

Candice Malkin
#11MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/5/21 at 9:10am

I'm seeing it the final day. The Ogunquit Playhouse is a great venue and I try to see every play they put on. They are doing Young Frankenstein next.

FirstNighter2
#12MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/5/21 at 9:17am

Sutton Ross said: "I doubt anyone has ever heard of that playhouse much less a town that has less than a thousand people. Im sure it was well attended tho."

With all do respect, you clearly have no idea what the Hell you’re talking about. Again.

FirstNighter2
#13MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/5/21 at 9:17am

Sutton Ross said: "I doubt anyone has ever heard of that playhouse much less a town that has less than a thousand people. Im sure it was well attended tho."

With all do respect, you clearly have no idea what the Hell you’re talking about. Again.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#14MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/5/21 at 9:35am

I believe this summer they are having an open air theatre. They often put on fabulous productions with Broadway talent, and your set quality. A venue worth checking out!

Sutton Ross
#15MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/5/21 at 2:03pm

Absolutely, Mike!

*Due respect*, moron. 

Updated On: 9/9/21 at 02:03 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#16MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/5/21 at 2:10pm

Mike Barrett said: "I believe this summer they are having an open air theatre. They often put on fabulous productions with Broadway talent, and your set quality. A venue worth checking out!"

Follow the artistic director (I think that's who it is, or maybe casting) on IG and the production value they have managed to achieve in an out-door space is incredible. The set for Mystic Pizza looks awesome. 

And to Sutton's point, they often get Original Broadway or First National tour actors to reprise their roles. They pay VERY well and it's a gorgeous little thing in a gorgeous little town. It is THE summer contract besides maybe the MUNY for a NYC actor. 

Sutton Ross
#17MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/5/21 at 2:15pm

Thanks for the tip, RippedMan, the set DOES look incredible! 

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#18MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/5/21 at 2:43pm

Thank You for the laugh, Sutton. :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Sutton Ross
#19MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/5/21 at 2:49pm

Yup, I was a smart assed dope. You learn something new everyday! MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#20MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/5/21 at 8:11pm

Happy to hear that you're capable of learning. 

Updated On: 9/5/21 at 08:11 PM

Mike Barrett
#21MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/6/21 at 9:40am

While the Palace Theatre in Manchester is still good, I always wish it was a step or two closer to this level of stage and acting. I don’t expect Ogonquit Playhouse levels, but, it has the theatre to pull a bit more off than this.

But yes, OP is tremendous. Kinky Boots there with Kyle Taylor Parker, who was my original Lola on the first national tour, was outstanding. The teaser is below, looks like it’s at the Al Hirschfeld honestly to me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dw_C4hIY-6c

SouthernCakes
#22MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/6/21 at 3:38pm

Agreed about the Palace. Great space and they have the money. Just not the vision.

Mike Barrett
#23MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 9/6/21 at 4:02pm

SouthernCakes said: "Agreed about the Palace. Great space and they have the money. Just not the vision. "

Unaware of their financial status, but they could definitely go one more step up at least in terms of set designs. The performers are generally solid, although maybe they could pay more for some of their leads. The set design is my main issue there. 

Ogonquit is often as good or better than my Broadway In Boston shows. 

cleverer
#24MYSTIC PIZZA REVIEWS??
Posted: 10/2/21 at 9:00pm

Saw this earlier in the week. It was a truly fun time, and astoundingly well-adapted. And those sets, wow!

All three core women were very impressive, and I hope they stick with the production if it has a further life. Yanelli in particular is a laugh riot.