pixeltracker

MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread- Page 4

MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#75MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/16/21 at 8:43pm

ArtMan said: "poisonivy2 said: "Intermission now. Ashley Loren is in as Satine. Its a great show. Having a blast."

Did you get your "hope"?
"

The MoulinRougeFanFanFans Insta story today says Cameron Mitchell Jackson and Kara Menendez are on as swings tonight, in addition to Loren's Satine. So yes, I would assume that both Tveit and Burstein are performing. 

Oh look, a bibu!

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#76MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/16/21 at 9:48pm

ArtMan said: "poisonivy2 said: "Intermission now. Ashley Loren is in as Satine. Its a great show. Having a blast."

Did you get your "hope"?
"

Yes they were both great. So was Loren.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#77MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/16/21 at 10:50pm

Back home. Last week I was debating between MR and Caroline or Change and I decided on MR. Glad I made that decision because this was the musical I needed. I've gone to some very spinachy things recently -- Trouble in Mind, as good as it was, was really heavy. So was Porgy and Bess (saw this weekend) or Rossi's L'orfeo. I just needed something entertaining.

Ashley Loren was really good -- I never saw Olivo and I haven't seen Natalie, but Loren has a good belt, nice legs, and a convincing cough. In this role, that's sort of enough? I actually loved Aaron Tveit -- yes the writing for Christian is dopey, but Tveit sells it as well as he can. His voice is amazing. I can't believe he hardly ever misses a show -- Christian has the most exposed singing. I also loved Danny Burstein. He was really funny and charismatic.

Hairspray0901
#78MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/17/21 at 12:00pm

Per Ashley Loren’s Instagram stories, she will be on for Satine Wed 11/24 at 8pm (presumably because Natalie will be doing the parade the next morning), Tuesday 11/30 at 7pm, Tuesday 12/7 at 7pm, and Tuesday 12/14 at 7pm. Looks like she’s on track to be on the same schedule as she was with Karen. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#79MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/17/21 at 6:15pm

For those who saw Natalie -- is she so outstanding that I have to make a return trip just to see her?

ellbellthomps
#80MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/18/21 at 8:33am

poisonivy2 said: "For those who saw Natalie -- is she so outstanding that I have to make a return trip just to see her?"

She's good, I didn't think she was outstanding at all, though. Of the 3 I've seen (Karen, Natalie, Ashley), Ashley Loren was by far my favorite. I did see Natalie literally 5 days after opening, but she shifted between accents the entire time. 

If you already want to go back to see the show, then go! If you're only going to see Natalie, I wouldn't suggest it. She didn't add or take away from Karen's performance much rather than being less of a force on stage. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#81MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/18/21 at 9:25am

I enjoyed Natalie a lot last week, and I certainly enjoyed seeing the chemistry between her and Aaron - something I found lacking with Karen - I agree that I don't know if it necessitates a return trip. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#82MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/18/21 at 9:43am

I absolutely would go back to see it before either Danny or Aaron leave. They're both stellar.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#83MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/18/21 at 9:43am

I absolutely would go back to see it before either Danny or Aaron leave. They're both stellar.

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#84MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 11/29/21 at 4:34pm

Do any in-the-know folks have any idea the length of Tveit and Burstein's contracts this time? It's obviously harder to figure than usual given the long layoff. Planning a mid-April trip and curious whether they're likely to still be in.

B212323
#85MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 12/7/21 at 11:58pm

I heard a rumor that Danny is leaving Mid-January which I would think Aaron would sync with him with his departure. I hope he stays at least til the spring though...

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#86MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 12/8/21 at 2:09am

Not gonna lie. I loved Moulin Rouge! both times I saw it, but once Danny leaves the show, I’ll be a lot less interested in making a third visit to see it on Broadway. He’s just majestic in that role. I’d likely just wait until the tour hits my town. 

Philly Theater Girl
#87MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 12/8/21 at 7:01am

B212323 said: "I heard a rumor that Danny is leaving Mid-January which I would think Aaron would sync with him with his departure. I hope he stays at least til the spring though..."

If Danny is leaving in mid-January, wouldn't it have been announced by now? Also, I don't think if/when Aaron leaves has anything to do with Danny's departure. 

bwaylady3
#88MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 12/8/21 at 9:53am

I haven't heard anything regarding Danny's departure but I do recall Aaron saying "Spring" back in October. Both actors book a fair amount of tv work, but I've not seen a casting announcement for either.

I would think the show would announce each's departure 6-8 weeks out if they could. But I don't think they would necessarily coordinate their departures. Both deserve their own fanfare. 

Are either names being linked to a new Broadway show at this point? 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#89MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 12/8/21 at 10:01am

Hopefully, the next Christian is 1) a better actor than Tveit with a singing voice just as glorious, and 2) someone who represents the 26.5% of Lima, Ohio’s Black population. 

Oh look, a bibu!

everythingtaboo
#90MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 1/7/22 at 1:59pm

Do we have any images or sketches for the set design for the upcoming touring production? I'm curious to see if/how they'll re-create the transformation of the auditorium itself.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#91MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 2/2/22 at 4:15pm

everythingtaboo said: "Do we have any images or sketches for the set design for the upcoming touring production? I'm curious to see if/how they'll re-create the transformation of the auditorium itself."

I’d recommend keeping a look out at the Instagram location page for the James M Nederlander Theatre. Just saw a post mentioning they are starting to load in, so I’m sure some images will start appearing soon.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

everythingtaboo
#92MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 2/10/22 at 11:35am

^^ Call_me_jorge, thanks for the tip. Not just for the IG, but the reminder that it's coming to Chicago. Just texted my mom in Kenosha to buy some ticket for the tour engagement!

ANYWAY...

Saw the show again last night (last time #67 on this thread) and aside from a few audience hiccups, it’s still a stunner of a fun show.

Firstly, Eric Anderson is a star. While that’s hardly a surprise to us here, it’s truly remarkable how seamlessly he’s made the role his own, and in no time at all, I had no reason to worry about the show flailing without Danny. Funny, flouncy smarmy, dare I say sexy? And some point, I just had to think to myself. “Man, I know he’s always great, but damn, he’s F**KING GREAT!”

I finally got to see Ashley Loren, and she’s a wonderful Satine. Though some of the sadder moments didn’t totally convince, it was a star performance. She owns that stage when she’s on, and yet between she, Natalie, and Karen, she’s the most comfortable fit with the ensemble. You really feel like she came up with that sordid cast of characters, if that makes sense? Though her accent sounds the same as Aaron’s so that whole “your accent” bit really just seems awkward. And she can sing! And add nuance to the lyrics when she can sing! Really impressed.

Other notes:

Aaron, as always, amazes me each time I see him in the role. How he stays so consistent, and keeps his voice so strong with so much damn singing each show, it continues to amaze me how we doesn’t need an alternate.

Sahr Ngaujah back on as Toulouse (last saw him in the Boston run) and it’s such a different show when he’s on. Impressive how he manages keep a lovely balance of being a total star, but not overpowering everyone else.

I was really hoping to see Robyn one last time as Nini, but she was out. Keely Beirne was on, great dancer but just fine in the book scenes.

Cameron Mitchell Jackson was on (I believe in Kyle Brown’s track) and let me just say getting there early to see his cage dance in the pre-show was worth the early arrival. I was…mesmerized…why am I sweating? So weird to see new faces in the ensemble, but I’ve been a fan of Clay Rice-Thomson so was excited to see him back onstage, and of course, he was great. Rest of the ensemble? Fabulous of course. Such a great group of performers. (And again, special shout-out to Giovanni Bonaventura’s legs.)

Got the tickets with lottery, I was Row L on the outside aisle. Didn’t mind the slight draft from the doors, last time I was on the inner aisle and I was sweating like it was actually Paris in the middle of summer. Sound was great, so fun to have the cast walk past you continuously during the show, but Partial View definitely means it. You really miss most of the upstage scenery, I think a lot of it is due to the stairs on the side stages, and then also from the last standing on the extensions into the house. So as a repeat view, I didn’t mind it, but others might not? Thankfully you can see most of the action, since it happens mid to down stage, and it strangely looks beautiful from the side, with the house left and right kind of becoming the background because of the angles.

So, all that said, still love it.

Harmonium
#93MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 2/12/22 at 1:05am

there is no transformation of the auditorium on the tour.  The entire show is upstage of the proscenium: no passerelle, no cabaret tables, no opera boxes.  the (reduced to 10) piece band is in the pit.  There is a large elephant and windmill intended to go up in opera boxes or equivalent in every city but realistically they won't fit most of the time.  Otherwise it's still a big loud turd with the full designs as seen in New York.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#94MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 2/22/22 at 7:34am

How many performances does Natalie actually do a week? I feel like Ashley is on most of the time via her insta stories 

Philly Theater Girl
#95MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 2/22/22 at 7:46am

WldKingdomHM said: "How many performances does Natalie actually do a week? I feel like Ashley is on most of the time via her insta stories"

From what I recall, Natalie doesn't perform on Tuesday. Ashley covers Tuesday and also seems to be picking up at least one of the weekend shows. I don't begrudge anyone time off but I do question why the actors who play Satine need the extra day(s) off - it's definitely not the most physically or vocally challenging roles in the show. 

Hairspray0901
#96MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 2/22/22 at 9:00am

WldKingdomHM said: "How many performances does Natalie actually do a week? I feel like Ashley is on most of the time via her insta stories"

Unsure but I did see they hired a Satine understudy. On Tilly Evans Krueger’s Instagram Live on Sunday, she showed an actress -  I don’t remember her name - but Tilly & Cast kept referring to her as the new girl. She was sitting backstage with them and people in the comments were asking if she had any scheduled Satine dates yet. So maybe it was announced. Unsure. 

pattilupony
#97MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 2/22/22 at 2:32pm

Hairspray0901 said: "WldKingdomHM said: "How many performances does Natalie actually do a week? I feel like Ashley is on most of the time via her insta stories"

Unsure but I did see they hired a Satine understudy. On Tilly Evans Krueger’s Instagram Live on Sunday, she showed an actress - I don’t remember her name - but Tilly & Cast kept referring to her as the new girl. She was sitting backstage with them and people in the comments were asking if she had any scheduled Satine dates yet. So maybe it was announced. Unsure.
"

I think you're referring to Tasia Jungbauer who has been a Satine understudy since re-opening, taking over from Amber Ardolino who used to be a Satine understudy (she also covers Arabia and La Chocolat). Moulin Rouge has always had a Satine standby/alternate plus an understudy. I don't see why they would have needed to hire another Satine understudy as Tasia has yet to go on once for Satine, she has only done the other two tracks. 

The new girl sitting with them I believe was Kelsey Orem who does not cover Satine. She is one of the new dance captains and Nini understudies, taking over for Karli Dinardo who is leaving in a few weeks.

Updated On: 2/22/22 at 02:32 PM

Wayman_Wong
#98MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 2/24/22 at 4:58pm

EverythingTaboo says: ''Aaron, as always, amazes me each time I see him in the role. How he stays so consistent, and keeps his voice so strong with so much damn singing each show, it continues to amaze me how we doesn’t need an alternate.''

I agree. I swear that Christian has more to sing in ''Moulin Rouge!'' than Satine, so it's surprising HE doesn't have the alternate. And Aaron rarely misses shows.

Meantime, here's Aaron and Natalie singing ''Your Song'' on ''The View.''

And hearing Aaron introduced as ''Tony winner'' has a nice ring to it, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNJZLFNCBTg

Updated On: 2/24/22 at 04:58 PM

Hairspray0901
#99MOULIN ROUGE! Reopening Night Thread
Posted: 3/9/22 at 12:59pm

Saw Moulin Rouge for the 4th time last Weds matinee. Prior shows I’ve attended were Jan 2020 (Karen Olivo, Aaron Tveit, Austin Durant), Sept 2021 (re-opening with Natalie Mendoza, Aaron Tveit, and Danny Burstein), Oct 2021 (u/s for Zidler - Dylan Paul - his first time on!) and now March 2022 (Ashley Loren, Aaron Tveit, Eric Anderson). 

I have to say - everyone raving about Ashley Loren are 100% spot on. She was spectacular and my favorite Satine in terms of vocals. WOW can she SING!!!!!! The only thing I didn’t love is that she seems way too young for the role - especially when they get to the line about her aging. That has nothing to do with her performance, though. She was perfection! 

Eric Anderson had big shoes to fill and I couldn’t have loved him any more!! He brought a more comical side to Zidler and I loved everything about his performance. His energy was unmatched; a real scene stealer.

What is there to say about Aaron Tveit? This man gives 110% every performance. He is incredible.

The rest of the cast is insanely talented and fun to watch. I always catch something new seeing this show. Still in tip top shape. What a blast!