pixeltracker

Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases- Page 3

Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#50Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 8:19pm

VotePeron said: "What? I’m so confused as to what this means

You cannot stop getting Covid. Vaccinations do not prevent it. They prevent hospitalization. What happened was people got covid, as they will, and spread it. No guidelines Disney can think of will stop the actors getting it unless they live in bubbles their entire run. Riding the subway, walking to the stage door, the grocery store, ANYTHING and you can catch it.
"

I'll explain what I meant in a second but what you say is not true in the conventional sense of "getting Covid." If being exposed to covid is what get means to you, then yes that's obviously correct. But if it means having it develop, then as I understand the science, no: for the most part, the vaccine (and/or a prior infection) can be and generally is effective at fighting off the virus and preventing its development in the person's body. Most vaccinated people resist the virus during the incubation period, but obviously not everyone. It is not 100% effective and the effectiveness weakens and that's why we have breakthrough infections. (If anyone disagrees with that summary, have at it.) But the vaccine certainly DOES prevent most infections from developing. Otherwise, New York would look like Texas right now.

Now to the Disney point. Everyone passing through the portal is supposed to be masked except when the safety protocol exempts them. If that happened fully, it is highly unlikely that that one person spread the infection to a significant number of people. Those pathways can likely be traced reasonably I would think. So SOMETHING happened that was not supposed to. And as I said in the earlier post, we simply don't know. Did a dozen people go to a bar together after the show? That would be telling? Was everyone infected in a dressing room together applying makeup without any precautions? etc. Should Disney have started up again last night? I don't think we actually know at this point if that was irresponsible or not. 

As I said, let's not just have random tidbits driving our knowledge. (And to the extent I have offered any here, ignore them.)

Broadwaybuff17
#51Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 8:22pm

Yes i understand 100’s of million people have died.. we’re over 18 months into this pandemic... you’re entering the safest possible social environment there is on earth with a 100% vaccinated crowd. If you believe in vaccines then who cares if a cast member got it, bring in the backup and perform the show. Welcome to the new world.. things must go on.. Again sick and tired of people preaching vaccines and how amazing they are and then decide to cancel a show with a vaccinated crowd. If you are in the boat where you can’t take risks, then you shouldnt be at the show in the first place. The person sitting next to you could easily have a breakthrough infection. Again at this point testing is pointless... if anything do them and let people know refunds are available if there’s a positive.. but canceling for 10 days is beyond INSANE.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#52Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 8:23pm

Broadwaybuff17 said: "I dont understand why they test so often... This is the new world.. Cant just keep shutting down because of a covid case. Its time for broadway to stop being the covid police and start operating like the sports world. Its crazy how badly broadway got this whole covid thing so wrong."

Identical protocols. You sound like you signed up today to post covid misinformation. Did Some Trump-funded misinformation organization send you here since Twitter has banned what you are doing? You've come to the wrong place. Begone. 

ETA: if there were enough "backups" (we call them understudies around here) the show would go on. Too many people are infected to put on the show effectively? You cancel. 

Updated On: 10/1/21 at 08:23 PM

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#53Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 8:32pm

uncageg said: "And now people are getting both strains."

There is literally ZERO way for them to know anything about what strain they had. Genome Sequencing is done after patient identifiers have been scrubbed off at an outside unrelated lab than did the initial testing.

Broadwaybuff17
#54Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 8:32pm

What part of my statement was misinformation... the sports world tests frequently.. but they quietly put them in quarantine and continue ... no games get canceled.

TheatreFan4
#55Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 8:36pm

Miles2Go2 said: "Doesn’t their current situation totally contradict this statement in the article?

Blythe Adamson, PhD, MPH, the Epidemiologist working with Disney Theatrical Production:

”Daily PCR testing allows us the opportunity to detect a positive case before it is contagious. This allows us to isolate it before anyone else is put at risk, as we have done several times with theAladdincompany.”
"

That's because it's... bull****. You can come back PCR positive AFTER you've passed the contagious phase, but I have NEVER heard about coming back positive BEFORE you're contagious. That's asinine. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#56Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 8:52pm

Broadwaybuff17 said: "Yes i understand 100’s of million people have died."

NO

Non sibi sed patriae

rattleNwoolypenguin
#57Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases

So, this is clearly gonna keep happening to broadway.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#58Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases

So, this is clearly gonna keep happening to broadway.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#59Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases

If I’m not mistaken, both times Aladdin had to cancel performances, it was due to multiple positive test results. Now maybe those people were infectious. Maybe they weren’t. But I believe they did say that today’s multiple positive test results likely all stemmed from one person they all had in common. Imagine if those people hadn’t been tested? How many more of the cast and crew would be infected. And then think about how many loved ones and strangers those people interact with IN NYC. That’s a breeding ground for not only the escalation of the virus, but also new variants. The Xanadu variant anyone?

So obviously they can’t have all those people performing their jobs and potentially infecting more people and I don’t know how many the people that were infected were in the cast or how many were in the crew, but they may (probably) not have enough people to replace all those people.

Testing is crucial. Burying our heads in the sand will not help. But we can’t solely test ourselves out of this pandemic. Vaccines are effective, but they’re not 100%. It’s a multi-prong approach: testing, vaccines, quarantining, masking, socially distancing where needed.

Obviously, no system is full proof, but it’s better than not wanting to know who is positive and not taking precautions when they are.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#60Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 8:55pm

uncageg said: "musikman said: "Tag said: "The incubation period is 1-14 days, not 3-5."

This was true for the original strain, and even then, it was rare to have it be longer than 8-10 days. Delta has an incubation period of about 3-5 days.
"

And now people are getting both strains.

"

The Delta variant currently makes up over 99% of cases in the US. https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/5-things-to-know-delta-variant-covid

Additionally, the original strain of COVID has essentially gone extinct as it’s been supplanted by the variants.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/original-coronavirus-strain-replaced-by-variants-us-chart-2021-6%3famp

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

TheatreFan4
#61Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 9:06pm

Miles2Go2 said: "That’s a breeding ground for not only the escalation of the virus, but also new variants. The Xanadu variant anyone?"

Variants. Don't. Matter.

Sorry, but they don't. A virus's goal is to SURVIVE, it's going to mutate and in mutation the more it does the less deadly it will be. The less life impacting it will be. It's going to be around FOREVER and people do have to stop living in constant fear at some point of the boogeyman known as mutation. To be a bit callous, the people it would have killed are largely already dead. The show didn't go on because they did not have the cast to put the show on. Simple as that.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#62Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 9:07pm

Broadwaybuff17 said: "What part of my statement was misinformation... the sports world tests frequently.. but they quietly put them in quarantine and continue ... no games get canceled."

Again, the difference is that in sports you can always bring up replacement players from a fairly large pool. In baseball, you essentially have a duplicate,triplicate, and in theory quadruplicate team in the minors that can be plugged in, not to mention that you have 28 players on the active roster. Broadway cannot and does not have that kind of depth and hence the problem when you have a large number of positives like Aladdin. NB that other shows (2 that I know of, maybe more) have had positives and have continued without any cancellations. 

So basically you got everything wrong, the facts, the assumptions, and the conclusions. If you want to get educated on this (I'm skeptical) read what theatrefan4, muisikman, miles2go, and others wrote above. 

Updated On: 10/1/21 at 09:07 PM

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#63Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 9:19pm

Broadwaybuff17 said: "What part of my statement was misinformation... the sports world tests frequently.. but they quietly put them in quarantine and continue ... no games get canceled."

What sports world? NBA?, NFL? MLB?  Aren't they televised so if they ban the affected player(s) and/or patrons, the game still goes forward on tv?  And only the NBA plays indoors. The others have the luxury of outdoor ventilation.

Broadway doesn't have the TV broadcast option.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#64Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 9:42pm

TheatreFan4 said: "Miles2Go2 said: "That’s a breeding ground for not only the escalation of the virus, but also new variants. The Xanadu variant anyone?"

Variants. Don't. Matter.

Sorry, but they don't. A virus's goal is to SURVIVE, it's going to mutate and in mutation the more it does the less deadly it will be. The less life impacting it will be. It's going to be around FOREVER and people do have to stop living in constant fear at some point of the boogeyman known as mutation. To be a bit callous, the people it would have killed are largely already dead.The show didn't go on because they did not have the cast to put the show on. Simple as that.
"

If variants didn’t matter, we would not have seen an escalation of cases and deaths once the Delta variant took hold. But we did. Will the variant eventually mutate itself out of existence? Hopefully. But likely with many more deaths. Would be much more efficient if the vaccine-resistant would just get vaxxed so we could reach herd immunity much faster. Then we could treat it like the flu. But the odds on that happening aren’t great. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#65Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 9:53pm

There is a breaking headline that the U.S. has now surpassed 700,000 Covid-19 deaths.

Non sibi sed patriae

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#66Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 9:59pm

We also don't know how many crew have COVID. There aren't ready covers for crew, especially once a show has just open. or in this case, reopened. It could also be musicians that tested positive. Nobody knows the details. Only thing we do know is that on Tuesday and Thursday night there were multiple understudies and swings on.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#67Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 10:01pm

JayElle said: "What sports world? NBA?, NFL? MLB? Aren't they televised so if they ban the affected player(s) and/or patrons, the game still goes forward on tv? And only the NBA plays indoors. The others have the luxury of outdoor ventilation.

Broadway doesn't have the TV broadcast option.
"

Huh? I think you are confused. What does TV have to do with it? The issue is not the audience, it's the cast and crew. If a sports team is not able to field a team due to covid infections, it would have to forfeit the game. If a Broadway show is unable to make a performance happen due to covid infections, same thing happens. The difference, as I mentioned above, is that sports teams have a lot more depth. But this has nothing to do with audiences (which are both vaxed and masked). 

TheatreFan4
#68Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 10:14pm

Miles2Go2 said: "If variants didn’tmatter, we would not have seen an escalation of cases and deaths once the Delta variant took hold. But we did. Will the variant eventually mutate itself out of existence? Hopefully. But likely with many more deaths. Would be much more efficient if the vaccine-resistant would just get vaxxed so we could reach herd immunity much faster. Then we could treat it like the flu. But the odds on that happening aren’t great."

Delta is more contagious but is not anymore deadly than any prior strain. No strain on the horizon has been seen as more deadly. Those that are severally affected are unvaccinated. It's never going to mutate itself out of existence, that's the point of mutation. To live as an annoyance. 

And here's the reality, the vaccine resistant? They're not going to get vaccinated. Reality. Live in it. You can't control what Red States do. You can't control from NY what variant mutates in a vaccine deficient country. We can all be 100% Vaxxed in the US and the variants? Still gonna be around. You can't insulate the country no matter how many feet you stamp and mandates you put in place. 

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#69Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 10:54pm

I live in Oklahoma. Unfortunately, I’m more than aware that I can’t control what red states do. Lol. I get flipped off or yelled at on a weekly basis because of my Biden/Harris and “Make America Gay Again” bumper stickers. Lol.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#70Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 11:07pm

TheatreFan4 said: "You can't control from NY what variant mutates in a vaccine deficient country. We can all be 100% Vaxxed in the US and the variants? Still gonna be around. You can't insulate the country no matter how many feet you stamp and mandates you put in place."

I agree with the first part but not the second. While we can't control what the idiots do, we can insulate ourselves from them. And vax requirements and mask mandates are one major way of doing that. I think we could end up with even more restrictive local rules in the heavily vaccinated northeast quadrant, and federal rules that also restrict the unwashed from reaching our borders. No planes or trains, no hotels, what's a lethal red stater to do? 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#71Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 11:11pm

TheatreFan4 said: "uncageg said: "And now people are getting both strains."

There is literally ZERO way for them to know anything about what strain they had. Genome Sequencing is done after patient identifiers have been scrubbed off at an outside unrelated lab than did the initial testing.
"

I had a breakthrough case last month. The state health department told me when they called me that I had the original strain not Delta. The girl at the lab could not tell me but they evidently forwarded it to the state health department. I mean, there has to be a way that they are tracking it.

The 11:00 news may have it wrong (ABC7), but they just said ALADDIN would not have performances through the 12th of October.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 10/1/21 at 11:11 PM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#72Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/1/21 at 11:52pm

uncageg said: "The 11:00 news may have it wrong (ABC7), but they just said ALADDIN would not have performances through the 12th of October."

That is correct. Performances cancelled through the 10th. First performance after the 10th is the 12th (Tuesday).

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#73Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/2/21 at 12:41am

Yeah, I figured they plan to be back on the 12th but the news said dark  "through" the 12th. Not crazy about the reporter who did the story and he just worded it wrong. He tends to do that.

Wishing the production well though.

Just give the world Love.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#74Tonight's performance of ALADDIN cancelled due to breakthrough COVID cases
Posted: 10/2/21 at 1:05am

You clearly don't watch sports, there have been plenty of games canceled because of covid in the last year.