Trevor:The Musical

Trish2
#1Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 10/18/21 at 10:20pm

Did anyone see the 2017 production in Chicago? Curious on your thoughts.

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#2Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 10/19/21 at 5:29pm

I found it undercooked. Trevor’s likable, and the material from the short film still works. The duet he sings with his oblivious love interest was a highlight.

But having the Diana Ross poster sing generic ballads didn’t work. She’s not his inner monologue, a Greek chorus or fairy godmother. She’s just… there.

The conflict revolves around his ex-friend and a mean girl outing him. But the how and why of it are sloppy. And the love interest just vanished from the story afterwards. This takes away the show’s only complex relationship.

It’s a showcase for a skilled young actor. But it needs work.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 10/20/21 at 05:29 PM

Alessio2
#3Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 10/20/21 at 1:09am

Speaking of Trevor, Would anyone happen to have a discount code that goes past November 9?

jbm2
#4Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 10/20/21 at 3:15pm

Is there a discount code for before Nov?

Also what age is this show appropriate for?

Trish2
#5Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 10/20/21 at 3:38pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "I found it undercooked. Trevor’s likable, and the material from the short film still works. The duet he sings with his oblivious love interest was a highlight.

But having the Diana Ross poster sing generic ballads didn’t work. She’s not his inner monologue, a Greek chorus or fairy godmother. She’s just… there.

The conflict revolves around his ex-friend and a mean girl outing him. But the how and why of it are sloppy. And the love interest just vanished from the story afterwards. This takes away the show’s only complex relationship.

It’s a showcase for a likable young actor. But it needs work.
"

Thank you! I think I'll hold off on tickets until they have a few shows under their belt.

Alessio2
#6Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 10/20/21 at 4:32pm

jbm2 said: "Is there a discount code for before Nov?

Also what age is this show appropriate for?

Yes, there is a discount through November 9, just go on theatermania.com and use the link to buy discount tickets

jbm2
#7Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 10/22/21 at 1:30pm

What age is the show appropriate for? Any ideas?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 10/28/21 at 11:10pm

I saw this tonight. Overall, there was more I liked in it than disliked. The actor playing Trevor is doing a really fantastic job for being that young and never leaving the stage for a 2 1/2 hour musical. The music itself really isn’t anything to write home about but I found the show itself to be so sweet that I was almost able to look past it.

During intermission I thought what a cute show it was and how damn relatable it will be to so many gay men (a large portion of the audience tonight). I mean, the story for the first act of Trevor falling for and becoming friends with the Jock could have been my story in middle/high school with a kid named Mark (who I later in life got to know and am friends with now) and later with one of my best friends Jon, who passed away last year and I suppose this brought back some issues that I’m still processing regarding that. Point being - very relatable. Even his infatuation with Diana Ross at that age was the same with me and Madonna.

Then the second act hit hard and I really wasn’t really expecting that. A total tonal shift in the story. Kind of like if Evan Hansen was a sweet coming of age story until the end of Act One and then turned into a drama about suicide and not fitting in. But the audience seemed to really be into it. A nice sized house tonight, I’d say maybe 75% full who cheered very loudly on their feet for the cast at the end. I’m always happy to see young casts like this get positive reactions for their hard work - and for a lot of them up there it’s a lot to do and they are doing a great job. Again, I wish the music was all around better for them, but I think the book and a lot of the performances pick up some of that slack.

And for the person who asked about age appropriateness, I’d say 12+

dangeresque49
#9Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 10/31/21 at 12:23am

Jordan Catalano said: "I saw this tonight. Overall, there was more I liked in it than disliked. The actor playing Trevor is doing a really fantastic job for being that young and never leaving the stage for a 2 1/2 hour musical. The music itself really isn’t anything to write home about but I found the show itself to be so sweet that I was almost able to look past it.

During intermission I thought what a cute show it was and how damn relatable it will be to so many gay men (a large portion of the audience tonight). I mean, the story for the first act of Trevor falling for and becoming friends with the Jock could have been my story in middle/high school with a kid named Mark (who I later in life got to know and am friends with now) and later with one of my best friends Jon, who passed away last year and I suppose this brought back some issues that I’m still processing regarding that. Point being - very relatable. Even his infatuation with Diana Ross at that age was the same with me and Madonna.

Then the second act hit hard and I really wasn’t really expecting that. A total tonal shift in the story. Kind of like if Evan Hansen was a sweet coming of age story until the end of Act One and then turned into a drama about suicide and not fitting in. But the audience seemed to really be into it. A nice sized house tonight, I’d say maybe 75% full who cheered very loudly on their feet for the cast at the end. I’m always happy to see young casts like this get positive reactions for their hard work - and for a lot of them up there it’s a lot to do and they are doing a great job. Again, I wish the music was all around better for them, but I think the book and a lot of the performances pick up some of that slack.

And for the person who asked about age appropriateness, I’d say 12+
"

Sorry about your friend man. That is rough. RIP. 

Do people think this is something that could be positioned for broadway with some changes?

jbm2
#10Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 11/1/21 at 6:21pm

What’s the running time of the show? Thanks

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#11Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 11/1/21 at 6:33pm

It ran 2 hours 20 minutes when I saw it with my 14 year old nephew. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#12Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 11/3/21 at 9:37am

I don’t think we can expect to see this on Broadway. Not necessarily because of it's quality (I haven’t seen it, so I can’t speak to that), but for 2 other reasons: 

(1) it’s not selling well. 

(2) It seems to me that Stage 42 is the venue that producers pick when they would’ve liked to go to Broadway, but either it didn’t work out, or they decided it wasn’t worth it. It’s kind of a “last stop” venue. Not necessarily in a bad way, just because of the nature of the venue. It’s run by the Shuberts, and has 499 seats – it’s basically a Broadway theatre that’s deliberately operated as an Off-Broadway theatre to save money for producers. So it’s unlikely that a producer would end up going from Stage 42 to Broadway unless the show does REALLY well. I don’t believe it’s ever happened in the venue’s history to date (which granted, isn’t that long). For that matter, it’s pretty rare for a commercial Off-Broadway show to transfer to Broadway.

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#13Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 11/6/21 at 1:40pm

JBroadway said: "I don’t think we can expect to see this on Broadway.Not necessarily because of it's quality (I haven’t seen it, so I can’t speak to that), but for 2 other reasons:

(1) it’s not selling well.

(2) It seems to me that Stage 42 is the venue that producers pick when they would’ve liked to go to Broadway, but either it didn’t work out, or they decided it wasn’t worth it. It’s kind of a “last stop” venue. Not necessarily in a bad way, just because of the nature of the venue. It’s run by the Shuberts, and has 499 seats – it’s basically a Broadway theatre that’s deliberately operated as an Off-Broadway theatre to save money for producers. So it’s unlikely that a producer would end up going from Stage 42 to Broadway unless the show does REALLY well. I don’t believe it’s ever happened in the venue’s history to date (which granted, isn’t that long). For that matter, it’s pretty rare for a commercial Off-Broadway show to transfer to Broadway.
"

I don't believe there has ever been a show at Stage 42 that has recouped?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#14Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 11/9/21 at 10:37am

I haven't heard about this yet.

Is it about a bullied teen with a big secret, and the secret is that he is gay and is really obvious but he won't come out due to fear and eventually he gets the courage to come out, and once he does there are 2-3 ballads about people telling them they are fabulous and they truly love them no matter what and at the end everyone sings about loving the teen and diversity? 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#15Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 11/9/21 at 10:49am

Lol. You’re about half right. 

grazyyy
#16Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 11/9/21 at 5:48pm

I saw it and thought it was good. The story is very generic but the show is well acted and all the actors are clearly talented. The second act was hard to get through for me, emotionally. Knowing what the Trevor project is and what it does, I knew what was coming, so the whole first act I was anxious about when it would happen because it felt almost too cutesy and feel-good. The second act hit hard, people all around me were crying and there was a man in the first row openly sobbing. The tension gets resolved very easily (think: love simon, everyone is special in their own way, don't let anyone bring you down). All in all, it was a good show that I enjoyed and inspired several heavy feelings within me- which I appreciate. I would recommend this show to everyone and I think it's definitely appropriate for kids going on 11-12 years.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#17Trevor:The Musical
Posted: 11/10/21 at 1:16am

I thought it was great! Everything was very well done.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Videos