pixeltracker

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews & Reviews- Page 3

KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews & Reviews

JSquared2
#50KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/29/21 at 12:08pm

kwoc91 said: 

The cherry on top of a nice matinee was bumping into Christopher Fitzgerald on my way out. His partner is the Director of the show."

The name of the director is Jessica Stone -- and yes she and Fitzgerald are married (almost 20 years now).

Susanswerphone Profile Photo
Susanswerphone
#51KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/29/21 at 7:20pm

binau said: "Now that The Visitor seems dead and buried all my hope is in this musical to be the next big thing. Can’t wait for some thoughts!"

I saw both this and The Visitor over the weekend. I found this absolutely enchanting!!  Silly fun, resonant story, some great performances. The Visitor, though peppered with dialog and lyrics jejune and open to double entendre, has a lovely score, terrific sets, and could be a much better piece than it is. Jacqueline Antaramian is wonderful.

VintageSnarker
#52KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/29/21 at 8:22pm

OK, I put my thoughts together. 

As it currently exists, Kimberly Akimbo is a wonderfully entertaining and funny show with top-notch talent but it's never profound. In spite of the topics it touches on, it never goes deep enough to be truly poignant or thoughtful or inspirational or cathartic. It feels like Jeanine Tesori's and David Lindsay-Abaire's talents are a bit wasted on just adding a very well-executed entry into this genre of mid-tier teen-focused contemporary musical theater. Think The Mad Ones with much less angst. It feels as weightless as a sitcom even though it touches on alcoholism, narcissism, mortality, incarceration, infidelity, complex parent/child dynamics (e.g. neglect, two-way resentment), etc. For all the melodrama and crime, it's more Raising Hope and Malcolm in the Middle than Shameless or Weeds. I didn't think it tried to balance the tone at all. It came across as entirely comedic to me in the way sitcoms casually gloss over the characters' more serious problems.

I did love all of the performances and I would recommend it if you go in with your expectations appropriately calibrated. I do think it's important to think of this as a period piece or the younger characters will come across way too young, even for sheltered show choir kids. Justin Cooley is so sweetly, earnestly charismatic and adorkable and all the adult actors are as good as you'd expect but I'm happy I'm going back so I can really focus more on the ensemble. It's a really well cast show. No weak links. 

I'd sit a few rows back or more to get the full picture of the stage. 

To answer some points made in this thread: The skating is fine. Maybe they've figured it out but no one looked scared or uncomfortable.

I do think Victoria Clark is trying but she's never a believable 16-year-old and I agree with the person who talked about that break in her voice whenever she sings out or goes into her upper register. She's giving a good, capable performance in spite of that but it's not a Tony-winning performance by any means.

swoboda Profile Photo
swoboda
#53KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/29/21 at 9:52pm

VintageSnarker said: "OK, I put my thoughts together.

As it currently exists, Kimberly Akimbo is a wonderfully entertaining and funny show with top-notch talent but it's never profound. In spite of the topics it touches on, it never goes deep enough to be truly poignant or thoughtful or inspirational or cathartic. It feels like Jeanine Tesori's and David Lindsay-Abaire's talents are a bit wasted on just adding a very well-executed entry into this genre of mid-tier teen-focused contemporary musical theater. Think The Mad Ones with much less angst. It feels as weightless as a sitcom even though it touches on alcoholism, narcissism, mortality, incarceration, infidelity, complex parent/child dynamics (e.g. neglect, two-way resentment), etc. For all the melodrama and crime, it's more Raising Hope and Malcolm in the Middle than Shameless or Weeds. I didn't think it tried to balance the tone at all. It came across as entirely comedic to me in the way sitcoms casually gloss over the characters' more serious problems.

I did love all of the performances and I would recommend it if you go in with your expectations appropriately calibrated. I do think it's important to think of this as a period piece or the younger characters will come across way too young, even for sheltered show choir kids. Justin Cooley is so sweetly, earnestly charismatic and adorkable and all the adult actors are as good as you'd expect but I'm happy I'm going back so I can really focus more on the ensemble. It's a really well cast show. No weak links.

To answer some points made in this thread: The skating is fine. Maybe they've figured it out but no one looked scared or uncomfortable.

I do think Victoria Clark is trying but she's never a believable 16-year-old and I agree with the person who talked about that break in her voice whenever she sings out or goes into her upper register. She's giving a good, capable performance in spite of that but it's not a Tony-winning performance by any means.
"

swoboda Profile Photo
swoboda
#54KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/29/21 at 10:07pm

VintageSnarker said: "OK, I put my thoughts together.

"

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on this one. A very thorough, thoughtful, and generous overview.

I agree one would be better situated in the middle to rear seating areas. I was 3rd row and the action was too "in my face" .

What is a "mid-tier" production if you don't mind my asking?

BigDisneyFan
#55KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 11/30/21 at 11:58am

Still trying to picture this as a musical!  

binau Profile Photo
binau
#56KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/7/21 at 10:12am

Im surprised this is getting such mixed feedback! I found it utterly, utterly charming. Victoria Clark for me was 100% believable as a 16 year old and the chemistry between her and Justin Cooley was SO CUTE. The show is hilarious and simple/not pretentious but also has its occasional emotional moments too. The aunt nearly steals the show. The score is memorable and melodic. The ensemble are adorable. It might need a bit of trimming/focus and I’m not sure what the next steps could be for this show (it’s hard for me to imagine it on a Broadway stage but stranger things have happened). However, for an evening of entertainment I don’t feel short changed. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/7/21 at 10:12 AM

Collingswood
#57KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/7/21 at 2:23pm

binau said: "Im surprised this is getting such mixed feedback! I found it utterly, utterly charming. 

Me too...I thought it was a fantastic night at the theatre. Although I have notice other sites giving it very positive feedback.

As for moving forward, only time will tell but I can see this show fitting quite well in smaller theaters like Circle in the Square, John Golden, & Booth.

VintageSnarker
#58KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/7/21 at 8:20pm

swoboda said: "What is a "mid-tier" production if you don't mind my asking?"

Right in the middle. Not the best, not the worst. But also mid-tier in ambition. This show never had the aspirations of Flying Over Sunset but this isn't a throwaway off-Broadway endeavor. I think it's mostly effective at what it's trying to do but if they did want it to be more poignant, I don't think they've accomplished that yet. 

binau said: "Victoria Clark for me was 100% believable as a 16 year old and the chemistry between her and Justin Cooley was SO CUTE."

It wasn't exactly the same because of the respective ages but I felt a similar cringe as I did with the romance in Tuck Everlasting. The kids do feel like they're written a bit young and chaste but I'm glad they kept it to one kiss because it would have been too awkward otherwise.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#59KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/8/21 at 11:07am

Opening night is tonight. Post reviews here!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#60KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/8/21 at 11:27am

Saw the show Sunday night, and it reminded me why I love going to the theatre. For me, very little on Broadway can compare to the exhilaration of seeing a great show Off-Broadway. I loved Victoria Clark's heartfelt performance, Justin Cooley is a star, and Bonnie Milligan's first act number was the best thing I've seen on a stage in quite some time. Hoping this gets love from the critics.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#61KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/8/21 at 6:15pm

VintageSnarker said I'm glad they kept it to one kiss because it would have been too awkward otherwise.

i completely agree.. I was getting apprehensive. I saw the fourth preview and really loved it. I need to hear Kim’s I want song again so I hope they extend so I can go back in January. And Justin Cooley is a star for sure.

TaffyDavenport
binau Profile Photo
binau
#65KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/8/21 at 10:19pm

Well this is all very encouraging. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TaffyDavenport
BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#68KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/8/21 at 10:35pm

I saw this last night and it left me with the biggest smile on my face. I'm glad to see it getting some love from so many critics!

TaffyDavenport
#69KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/8/21 at 10:45pm

A rave from Helen Shaw, who says the show is "probably bound for Broadway":

Theater Review: ‘Kimberly Akimbo’ (vulture.com)

TaffyDavenport
#71KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/8/21 at 11:22pm

I'd love to see it fast-tracked to take the Belasco this season, since I really can't see GFTNC lasting much longer.

Updated On: 12/8/21 at 11:22 PM

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#72KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/8/21 at 11:25pm

Amazing reviews, so happy for the creative team and cast. These reviews seem to assume a Broadway transfer is inevitable. Is there any validity to these claims? 

VintageSnarker
#73KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/8/21 at 11:34pm

I'm curious what changes, if any, were made in the last week or two of previews. I wasn't able to go back and I don't think I have room in my budget to see it again at full price. If nothing else, I hope the raves means it gets a recording.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#74KIMBERLY AKIMBO Off-Broadway - Previews
Posted: 12/9/21 at 12:50am

I would love to see this in January if it extends, or if it takes to Broadway and takes Circle or the Booth. Time Out NY calling it the best new musical of the season seems like it might make the move to Bway.

Videos