COVID Cancellations

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#100COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 4:23pm

Miles, thank you. As for WSS - 

I WOULDNT KNOW SINCE IM QUARANTINED AND CANT GO SEE IT!!! lol. And I can literally see a movie theater from my hotel room. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#101COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 4:32pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "HogansHero said: "It will not surprise me if we see a winter hiatus."

Say goodbye to Broadway, if that happens. They won't survive another shutdown. At least not the current crop. And it would take the better part of a decade to build back up again.
"

Overreact much? LOL

We will survive and I don't know anyone who thinks otherwise. Understand that we are not going to have all that many survivors in January without a hiatus (which I do not equate with another shutdown). We never were. Not sure why you would want to play the role of chicken little but enjoy.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#102COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 4:43pm

If a performance is canceled last minute due to covid, I know patrons get a refund. However, do cast members and ushers/theater/stage workers get paid too? or not?

BwayBeccaB Profile Photo
BwayBeccaB
#103COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 4:47pm

Jordan Levinson said: "Something just hit me:

As of last week, just under 25% of the eligible US population had received a booster shot - atrocious. Meanwhile, the CDC definition of “fully vaccinated” has not changed yet (it will soon, guaranteed). I have heard that two doses of the Pfizer vaccine are only 30% effective against Omicron, and knowing how similar Moderna has been compared to Pfizer ever since initial efficacy data was released, I’d expect approximately that percentage to be announced in the coming days and weeks. A booster shot, however, gets your protection against Omicron right back up to between 70 - 75%: as protected as we once were with two doses against Delta.

Broadway’s full vaccination rules have not changed since the September reopening, and quite honestly, I think they will very soon. The next time the League extends mask mandates - most likely through the end of April - “fully vaccinated” should also mean boosted, for audience members and anyone / everyone working in a theatre. New York residents can now sign up for the NYS Excelsior Pass Plus, which shows proof of all three doses received.

There will still be breakthrough cases, I have no doubt, especially in the winter when COVID thrives in crowded indoor public spaces. Breakthroughs, however, will not be as concerning in the future as they are right now. The sad truth is that two-dose immunity has waned noticeably and there aren’t many people boosted at the moment.
In short, GET YOUR BOOSTER NOW! What was once a helpful tip has quickly become an urgent plea as Omicron is running buck wild around the world.
"

I do think booster requirements will happen which brings me to asking, has anyone with a medical exemption had experience attending a Broadway show? I did get the first two doses, but unfortunately due to a condition called Ehlers Danlos that affects my heart, I might not be able to get the booster (getting an echocardiogram tomorrow to confirm whether or not I'll be able to get it). Musical theatre is my happy place and I would be saddened if an underlying medical condition I had prevented me from being able to see shows. 

AND is there testing in the city accepted by Broadway theatres that isn't a nose swab? 

Updated On: 12/15/21 at 04:47 PM

Jordan Catalano
#104COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 4:50pm

I believe there’s Covid testing via blood test but it’s not something I’m very familiar with.

BwayBeccaB Profile Photo
BwayBeccaB
#105COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 4:54pm

The blood test is the only kind I've had done. I just wasn't sure if Broadway accepted those tests. I have a sensory disorder, so swabs are a big no, as a kid doctors always had to find other ways to test me for strep. 

Updated On: 12/15/21 at 04:54 PM

BwayBeccaB Profile Photo
BwayBeccaB
#106COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 4:59pm

Wick3 said: "If a performance is canceled last minute due to covid, I know patrons get a refund. However, do cast members and ushers/theater/stage workers get paid too? or not?"

I was wondering this as well 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#107COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 5:02pm

I did get the first two doses, but unfortunately due to a condition called Ehlers Danlos that affects my heart, I might not be able to get the booster (getting an echocardiogram tomorrow to confirm whether or not I'll be able to get it).

Medical experts have said there are no known medical conditions that make the vaccine unsafe. However, my Aunt is allergic to one of the components of the vaccine sadly, so she cannot get it even though she desperately wants to see shows and travel again. But, it's not happening, obviously. 

BwayBeccaB Profile Photo
BwayBeccaB
#108COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 5:08pm

Sutton Ross said: "I did get the first two doses, but unfortunately due to a condition called Ehlers Danlos that affects my heart, I might not be able to get the booster (getting an echocardiogram tomorrow to confirm whether or not I'll be able to get it).

Medical experts have said there are no known medical conditions that make the vaccine unsafe. However, my Aunt is allergic to one of the components of the vaccine sadly, so she cannot get it even though she desperately wants to see shows and travel again. But, it's not happening, obviously.
"

This is true for most, I was just advised to make an echocardiogram appointment before going ahead with the booster. 

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#109COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 5:16pm

Coming into the city on Friday, and all these cancellations are making me think it's gonna be a rough week!  I have tickets for four shows already, but was planning on filling in the rest with TKTS and last minute purchases. If you buy from TKTS and a show gets cancelled, do they refund you automatically?

JasonC3
#110COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 5:16pm

From the new Michael Paulson NYT article on cancellations:

"One unresolved question: compensation. Thus far, most shows have paid company members even when performances have been canceled, but it is not clear whether that practice will continue."

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#111COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 5:36pm

It still appears as though half of Broadway shows are doing just 7 performances a week.

On another note, HARRY POTTER appears to be on tonight.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sutton Ross
#112COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 5:42pm

This is true for most, I was just advised to make an echocardiogram appointment before going ahead with the booster.

Oh absolutely. I wish you the best. Also, unless I'm totally missing something I do not believe you can enter a Broadway house without at least one dose of the vaccine. I don't think they accept medical or religious exemptions. 

https://www.broadway.org/info/covid-19-updates/

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#113COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 5:42pm

BwayBeccaB said: "The blood test is the only kind I've had done. I just wasn't sure if Broadway accepted those tests. I have a sensory disorder, so swabs are a big no, as a kid doctors always had to find other ways to test me for strep."

I know they've accepted saliva test PCR results. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#114COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 6:19pm

In London, 12 shows have cancelled performances for this week. See if things get better or worse on Broadway.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#115COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 6:26pm

What is going on????? This is terrible COVID performance cancellations

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/15/21 at 06:26 PM

Sutton Ross
#116COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 6:30pm

Are you serious? 

Jordan Catalano
#117COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 6:39pm

What’s going on is the U.K. (until this week) didn’t require masks in theaters or indoors anywhere. They were OVER IT. Theaters said they suggested masks unless you were eating or drinking so people would hold a cup and not wear a mask the whole show show “they were drinking”. And theatre station doesn’t give a FUUUUUUU*K to enforce anything. They also say people “who are exempt” don’t have to mask up and “exemptions aren’t always noticeable”, so everyone and their mother just says “I’m exempt”. Girls going out to party are “exempt” so their makeup isn’t messed up. It’s INSANE. With these new protocols put in place just this week, I wonder if it’ll change anything but I think the mentality of the U.K. is very much like Alabama - they just want to live their lives and act as if Covid doesn’t have anything to do with them. 

Updated On: 12/15/21 at 06:39 PM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#118COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 6:43pm

Theatres (and other like venues) in Ontario were told today that as of Saturday they are only allowed 50% capacity (currently there is no limit).  So that is throwing everything into chaos. Toronto's Come From Away opens tonight, and the JCS tour is playing there too, both of which will be affected. Masks indoors are mandated in Ontario basically everywhere and have been forever.

Updated On: 12/15/21 at 06:43 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#119COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 6:46pm

I did notice that the mask wearing at &Juliet on Saturday was much stronger than I've seen in any west end shows recently where there has been almost 0 compliance. Still nothing compared to NYC where I found you can get harassed to put a mask on even in between sips of a drink. 

But I'm just surprised at how quickly everything is crumbling, it felt like the west end hasn't had a covid-related shutdown in a long time and then now so many shows at once? I don't think this is going to bode well. I thought things were only going to get better COVID performance cancellations. Hoping Omicron isn't as infectious as it seems! And hoping Broadway isn't the next bloodbath...

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/15/21 at 06:46 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#120COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 6:49pm

Jordan Catalano said: "What’s going on is the U.K. (until this week) didn’t require masks in theaters or indoors anywhere. They were OVER IT. Theaters said they suggested masks unless you were eating or drinking so people would hold a cup and not wear a mask the whole show show “they were drinking”. And theatre station doesn’t give a FUUUUUUU*K to enforce anything. They also say people “who are exempt” don’t have to mask up and “exemptions aren’t always noticeable”, so everyone and their mother just says “I’m exempt”. Girls going out to party are “exempt” so their makeup isn’t messed up. It’s INSANE. With these new protocols put in place just this week, I wonder if it’ll change anything but I think the mentality of the U.K. is very much like Alabama - they just want to live their lives and act as if Covid doesn’t have anything to do with them."

100 percent, our theatres just continued as if nothing was wrong, and now we are paying the price. Its disgusting. 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

VintageSnarker
#121COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 7:01pm

Hang in there, Jordan. Glad to hear you're doing well in quarantine. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#122COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 7:02pm

Alvin Ailey at York City Center has shut down for 2 days due to dancers testing positive.

Sutton Ross
#123COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 7:02pm

"Hoping Omicron isn't as infectious as it seems!"

It is much more infectious than any other variant so far but with more mild symptoms. But, that does not matter. Broadway might have to take a small hiatus. Jesus Christ, this will never end. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#124COVID performance cancellations
Posted: 12/15/21 at 7:04pm

Hey don't drag Alabama! The major cities are all enforcing masks and most people complying! 

Now back to NYC. 

Yeah it will never end because it's always going to be such a hot button 'vaccine' issue. Sad. Now everyone get your booster! 

Videos