pixeltracker

Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread- Page 23

Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#550Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/9/21 at 11:11pm

To be fair, many Broadway theaters are not selling that well due to covid, protocols and low tourism.

BCfitasafiddle
#551Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/9/21 at 11:42pm

Personally, I found it thrilling. I was on the edge of my seat for most of the show and enraptured in all of it. Carmen Cusack. I don't even know how to say what she made me feel. Tony and Harry? Both excellent. I was really moved by this show and didn't find it too long or boring. Felt good to sit down and not know what I was going to see or hear for once.

JGPR2
#552Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/10/21 at 9:35am

From reading the comments on this thread, it will be quite interesting to read the critical reviews. I am guessing it will be "mixed to negative" but guess we will find out next week.  I was really hoping this show would be very good and be able to give "Six" some Tony competition, I don't think that will happen from what I have read here so far.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#553Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/10/21 at 9:55am

Maybe Jesse Green will continue to surprise and write a love letter for the show, haha. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
binau Profile Photo
binau
#555Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/10/21 at 5:14pm

Yay! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BCfitasafiddle
#556Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/10/21 at 5:20pm

Gonna be playing this a lot.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#557Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/10/21 at 5:44pm

OH YEAH! I’ll start an official cast recording thread for this one when any of the songs can be streamed.

BTW, new production photos were released today in advance of Monday’s official opening, here’s one:

Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread

Oh look, a bibu!

broadfan327
#558Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/10/21 at 11:55pm

I saw it Friday night.  The last two rows of the orchestra were pretty empty, as was a lot of the loge.  I enjoyed Act 2 a lot more than Act 1.  I agree with the comments that this may have been better as a play, although I did enjoy some of the dancing sequences.  You see your money on the stage in terms of the set, this is what LCT excels at in that space.  

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#559Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 11:43am

100 or 500, which is the better section sight line wise?

Mainly interested in seeing Cusack sing her face off and Yazbeck’s feet. 0:)

Thank you!

TaffyDavenport
#560Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 11:50am

dshnookie said: "100 or 500, which is the better section sight line wise?

Mainly interested in seeing Cusack sing her face off and Yazbeck’s feet.0:)

Thank you!
"

For those 2 things, definitely the 500's.

TaffyDavenport
#561Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 11:55am

Also, I have a discount code that expires tomorrow: $62 for any non-premium preview seat, $72 after opening through closing, including the center sections. FSWL21 on Telecharge Offers.

3NU Profile Photo
3NU
#562Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 12:00pm

My friend and I sat in D106 and D107, and sight lines were decent. I seem to recall earlier in the thread that the 500 seats had views blocked in Act 2 during the scene when the fog machine was used. I can confirm that we could see just fine during that scene.

The Grant character dances on both stage left and right, so I don't think it makes much difference (and the solo part of the tap is on an elevated surface so you'll be able to see regardless). Carmen sings the title song on both stage left and right, though most of the 11 o'clock number is sung to stage right (100 seats). One (minor but artistic) thing you miss in Act 2 from the 100s is a clear view of the "shadow characters" that are veiled by the scenery on stage right. 

Just keep in mind that both sides offer partial views  (and sound) throughout the show. Hope this helps!

Dan6
#563Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 1:12pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Also, I have a discount code that expires tomorrow: $62 for any non-premium preview seat, $72 after opening through closing, including the center sections. FSWL21 on Telecharge Offers."

Can those who’ve seen the show help me decide on seats? I currently have H501-504 but it looks like I could use this code to exchange at the same price for either Row K in the 200s or front row Center Mezz. I enjoy being close enough to see facial expressions, but also want to appreciate the setting and projections and not to have any of the major action blocked. Will only get a chance to see this once, so appreciate any guidance!

TaffyDavenport
#564Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 1:24pm

Dan6 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Also, I have a discount code that expires tomorrow: $62 for any non-premium preview seat, $72 after opening through closing, including the center sections. FSWL21 on Telecharge Offers."

Can those who’ve seen the show help me decide on seats? I currently have H501-504 but it looks like I could use this code to exchange at the same price for either Row K in the 200s or front row Center Mezz. I enjoy being close enough to see facial expressions, but also want to appreciate the setting and projections and not to have any of the major action blocked. Will only get a chance to see this once, so appreciate any guidance!
"

I'd say row K, since you'll be more centered. Not even the front row of the loge is ideal for seeing facial expressions.

Leisie93
#565Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 5:46pm

I just saw this in its second to last preview. TERRIBLE. I'm actually surprised because I thought that if Broadway would stage a play that was not based on known source material, then it would have to be amazing, like Dear Evan Hansen, Hamilton, and Hadestown. But nope. No plot. Zero stakes. Some people liked the music and the set design. I disliked both. For $200 and a stage that does productions as lavish as Lincoln Center, there is no reason to use a digital screen for the backdrop. It's so cheap looking, IMO. It's a musical for pretentious rich people who say "I read literary novels because I don't need a plot to enjoy good works and I don't listen to modern music because I'm too snobby to enjoy rhythm." I'll never understand why this wasn't given an out of town tryout, or several. That's WHERE you realize that your plot is weak and it gives you the opportunity to strengthen it.

Leisie93
#566Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 5:58pm

JaglinSays said: "Are there any actors of color in the production?

The absence of Bipoc characters seems out of step with the times.
"

1 actor of color out of 15 white actors. The one actor of color, Kanisha Marie Feliciano, replaced the white actor Erika Henningsen who played the role before the Black Lives Matter protests of 2020. I've never seen tokenism that blatant in my life, which is saying something for theater. Normally I'd say that that's better than a solely white cast, but when the replacement seemed so much like a desperate attempt to save face, I'm not sure if that's true.

Updated On: 12/11/21 at 05:58 PM

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#567Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 6:17pm

You’re forgetting that Nehal Joshi isn’t white.

As to the show, I don’t think it all works, but it’s incredibly ambitious, and so even when it didn’t quite land, I loved watching it try. Give me 100 more like this rather than another Doubtfire any day.

Leisie93
#568Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 6:38pm

Sauja said: "You’re forgetting that Nehal Joshi isn’t white.

As to the show, I don’t think it all works, but it’s incredibly ambitious, and so even when it didn’t quite land, I loved watching it try. Give me 100 more like this rather than another Doubtfire any day.
"

I agree 1000% that original is so much better than a cash grab. But that's also why it felt like such a let down. I was half asleep. lol. I did not know that about Nehal, so thanks.

Lazarus Alas Profile Photo
Lazarus Alas
#569Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 6:57pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Gonna be playing this a lot."

ME TOO. A powerful and moving score to my ears and heart.

I saw the matinee this afternoon. For me, it has only improved through multiple viewings. I’d say the house was almost 90% full today and there was a resounding standing ovation with hoots and bravas. (First time.) Yazbeck was back in fine form.

My TDF seats were on the far side of house left and I can definitively advise not to sit there if you have the choice. There is some important action that happens stage right I couldn’t see from that vantage point. I’d almost call it an obstructed view; but I enjoyed it immensely, obstructed view notwithstanding.

Can’t wait for the reviews.

JGPR2
#570Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 7:20pm

"1 actor of color out of 15 white actors. The one actor of color, Kanisha Marie Feliciano, replaced the white actor Erika Henningsen who played the role before the Black Lives Matter protests of 2020. I've never seen tokenism that blatant in my life, which is saying something for theater. Normally I'd say that that's better than a solely white cast, but when the replacement seemed so much like a desperate attempt to save face, I'm not sure if that's true."

Meanwhile, three of the six leading ladies in "Six" are black.  "MJ The Musical" has two white people in the entire cast. Older shows like "Hamilton", "Ain't Too Proud" and "Tina The Musical" casts are mostly POC. Shows like "Book Of Mormon", "Caroline, Or Change" and "Lion King" have more than token amount of POC actors. The musical "For Colored Girls" is coming to Broadway in spring of 2022 and I will assume that the cast will be 100% black or darn close to it. Before you want to blast "Flying Over Sunset" for having a basically all white show, do you have any idea how many POC auditioned for the show?

Updated On: 12/11/21 at 07:20 PM

Lazarus Alas Profile Photo
Lazarus Alas
#571Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 7:27pm

As the Gerald character says in act 2 (waving a white towelette): don’t talk politics when you’re tripping.

Updated On: 12/11/21 at 07:27 PM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#572Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 8:37pm

SPOILERS

I had extraordinary TDF seats -- 9th row center, row k -- for a Wednesday matinee. But I'm glad the place is filling up. My friends all feel Cusack is the event. I felt it was much more the three of them, but I certainly love the Cusack vocals. A family member thought the show had "too much Claire," which in a way I get, since the second act basically repeats her first act trauma intact. I still wish her trip with the two men present ... you know ... involved the two men. Yet they leave the stage and we get more of her mother/daughter tragedy. That's the central flaw in the 2nd act for me: putting these three attractive people together and not getting more juice and heat out of it. (Sorry, the Sella character, beautifully drawn and played, is not a protagonist, as much as I love his moment with Yazbeck's Grant.) 

But I loved the score, and know the recording will be an evocative preservation. The Starobin orchestrations, not enough said about them. Quite lovely.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 12/11/21 at 08:37 PM

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#573Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 9:45pm

Dan6 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Also, I have a discount code that expires tomorrow: $62 for any non-premium preview seat, $72 after opening through closing, including the center sections. FSWL21 on Telecharge Offers."

"

K in the 200’s trust me.

Dan6
#574Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 9:57pm

SmoothLover said: "Dan6 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Also, I have a discount code that expires tomorrow: $62 for any non-premium preview seat, $72 after opening through closing, including the center sections. FSWL21 on Telecharge Offers."

"

K in the 200’s trust me.

"

Exchanged, thanks very much!

Videos