pixeltracker

94th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread- Page 3

94th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread

OffOnBwayHi
#5094th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/8/22 at 9:48am

*yawn*
snoozefest

But, it’s more a reflection of a lackluster movie year than of the nominations.

I’m probably one of the few people excited about the Don’t Look Up noms. I was surprised by the film and think it’s super important. I would be thrilled if it upsets for best picture. A long shot, but yeah.

BritCrit
#5194th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/8/22 at 9:52am

OffOnBwayHi said: "*yawn*
snoozefest

I’m probably one of the few people excited about the Don’t Look Up noms. I was surprised by the film and think it’s super important. I would be thrilled if it upsets for best picture. A long shot, but yeah.
"

I feel the big test for DLU is whether it leads to more direct films about the Climate Crisis down the line, generating a deeper engagement than the usual well-meaning but painfully limited "Plant a Tree" environmentalism usually associated with Hollywood... 

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#5294th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/8/22 at 9:52am

OffOnBwayHi said: "*yawn*
snoozefest

"

Panned by critics. Wins Oscar. Sounds about right for 2021. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#5394th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/8/22 at 3:14pm

Don't Look Up is stupid and while I'm glad Adam McKay's latest weird foray into stupidly obvious satire and a "no s**t Sherlock" message didn't get earn him a directing nomination, it could blow up in our faces if he actually wins Best Picture. I mean, these are the same people that gave Green Book all those Oscars for its stupidly obvious messaging. 

Whatever. Really, all I'm happy about is that Gaga's Russian-supposed-to-be-Italian accent didn't get nominated, and her "I almost died making this movie" manufactured awards season storyline didn't pan out for the biggest award. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5494th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/8/22 at 9:16pm

I didn't hate "Don't Look Up" but by no means did I think it deserved any awards. It's a little...obvious... 

Def. want to watch the Ricardos and Tick Tick Boom now.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5594th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/8/22 at 9:18pm

RippedMan said: "I didn't hate "Don't Look Up" but by no means did I think it deserved any awards. It's a little...obvious...

Def. want to watch the Ricardos and Tick Tick Boom now.
"

I'm absolutely shocked "tick, tick... BOOM!" was not nominated for Best Picture, but "Don't Look Up" was. The latter was a complete waste of an excellent cast. 

Oh look, a bibu!

ElephantLoveMedley
#5694th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/8/22 at 9:19pm

Genuinely baffled that Nicole Kidman has been racking up all of these nominations for Ricardos. I thought the film overall and in particular her performance were completely unwatchable. Just dreadful. In that category, I'll be rooting for Jessica Chastain, who I thought was a note-perfect Tammy Faye.

WestEndGal
#5794th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/9/22 at 6:43am

ElephantLoveMedley said: "Genuinely baffled that Nicole Kidman has been racking up all of these nominations forRicardos. I thought the film overall and in particular her performance were completely unwatchable. Just dreadful. In that category, I'll be rooting for Jessica Chastain, who I thought was a note-perfect Tammy Faye."

I seriously wonder if the voters even watch half the movies they vote for! It feels like the Oscars are becoming more and more like the Golden Globes, where the big names get the noms regardless of performance. Like with Kidman. And of course Judi Dench got a nom … because she’s Judi Dench lol! 

BritCrit
#5894th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/9/22 at 7:00am

WestEndGal said: "ElephantLoveMedley said: "Genuinely baffled that Nicole Kidman has been racking up all of these nominations forRicardos. I thought the film overall and in particular her performance were completely unwatchable. Just dreadful. In that category, I'll be rooting for Jessica Chastain, who I thought was a note-perfect Tammy Faye."

I seriously wonder if the voters even watch half the movies they vote for! It feels like the Oscars are becoming more and more like the Golden Globes, where the big names get the noms regardless of performance. Like with Kidman. And of course Judi Dench got a nom … because she’s Judi Dench lol!
"

Diane Warren is the most extreme example - given her 7th Best Original Song nomination in 8 years for a song from a movie which virtually no-one has heard of. The Best Original Song category is one of the best opportunities to gain publicity and (most importantly) ratings, so why snub Ariana Grande and Jay Z (denying us direct competition between Beyonce and Jay Z)? I understand wanting to end Diane Warren's winless streak, but Best Original Song seems to be a two horse race between "No Time To Die" and the Encanto song, so putting forward Diane Warren yet again was totally pointless...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5994th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/9/22 at 7:18am

By that logic, they should only have nominated two - which could be said of nearly any category, doesn't really matter who the "also rans" might be.    

I don't have many thoughts on these noms at all - I'm not watching films the way I used to.  Even when I watch at home, I'm far more distracted to fully immerse myself.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BritCrit
#6094th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/9/22 at 7:48am

dramamama611 said: "By that logic, they should only have nominated two - which could be said of nearly any category, doesn't really matter who the "also rans" might be.

I don't have many thoughts on these noms at all - I'm not watching films the way I used to. Even when I watch at home, I'm far more distracted to fully immerse myself.
"

The logic I was using is not "There should have only been two nominees" - no-one wants a repeat of the 2011 Best Original Song Oscars where there were just two nominees (Although "Man Or Muppet" winning made it worthwhile!). What I was saying is that the nomination given to Diane Warren should have gone to more relevant and/or popular songs from movies which people actually saw. This isn't an insult against her personally ("I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" is one of my main musical guilty pleasures!) but simply to say that in a very busy and competitive category, it feels like Warren was solely nominated because of her previous track record, which feels unfair on all those who missed out...  

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#6194th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/9/22 at 9:47am

ElephantLoveMedley said: "Genuinely baffled that Nicole Kidman has been racking up all of these nominations forRicardos. I thought the film overall and in particular her performance were completely unwatchable. Just dreadful. In that category, I'll be rooting for Jessica Chastain, who I thought was a note-perfect Tammy Faye."

Between Javier's nowhere near Cuban accent, Nicole's sounding like Lucy at 70 instead of 40, and JK Simmons good but could've done it in his sleep performance, I'm astounded this movie has done as well as it did. I think there's a lot of goodwill because of the performers and the story, but it was just a barely okay movie. But the Academy loves anything that celebrates Hollywood, so in the end it's no surprise. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Broadway61004
#6394th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/16/22 at 8:51pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/We-Dont-Talk-About-Bruno-from-ENCANTO-Will-Be-Performed-at-the-Oscars-20220316

We don't talk about Bruno, but they'll be singing about him at the Oscars!
"

So glad this is how they're using the ceremony instead of allowing cinematographers, composers, production designers, creators of short films and other designers the chance to be recognized. Because performing a non-nominated song is so much more important. 

BritCrit
#6494th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/17/22 at 7:00am

Broadway61004 said: "jacobsnchz14 said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/We-Dont-Talk-About-Bruno-from-ENCANTO-Will-Be-Performed-at-the-Oscars-20220316

We don't talk about Bruno, but they'll be singing about him at the Oscars!
"

So glad this is how they're using the ceremony instead of allowing cinematographers, composers, production designers, creators of short films and other designers the chance to be recognized. Because performing a non-nominated song is so much more important.
"

I'm ticked off about the Oscars dropping "minor" categories from the show as well, but I hate the backlash towards the "Special performances" I am beginning to see online. WDTA Bruno may not have been nominated, but allowing the biggest hit of 2022 to gain a performance slot is a positive way of dealing with the ratings problem...

Film does not start and end with the nominees in any given year, and a wider spectrum of movies should be acknowledged...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6594th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/17/22 at 7:23am

But this isn't a show about film, it's about awards.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BritCrit
#6694th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/17/22 at 8:32am

dramamama611 said: "But this isn't a show about film, it's about awards."

Awards for films which the majority of the public haven't seen...

The increasingly sharp divergence between the Best Films and the Most Popular ones makes things a lot more difficult for Awards Ceremonies. The main issue is trying to recapture both ratings and public interest. Cutting "minor" awards just upsets most of the film industry without winning over the public. Creating extra performances to pay tribute to hit movie songs and popular franchises is a good way of getting the attention of the public, and in an ideal world, they would be included without cutting any of the awards... 

I would personally prefer a "Superbowl for Film" - an entire day of events with the smaller awards getting a programme to themselves earlier in the day, and the larger awards getting an evening show, with plenty of film related programming across the day. 

jacobsnchz14
#6794th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/20/22 at 6:03pm

https://ew.com/awards/west-side-story-rachel-zegler-not-invited-oscars-2022/

West Side Story star Rachel Zegler says she wasn't invited to the Oscars

"I will root for West Side Story from my couch and be proud of the work we so tirelessly did 3 years ago," Zegler says.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#6894th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/27/22 at 7:28pm

Bumping this for anyone who wants to post during the Oscars tonight.

jacobsnchz14
#6994th Oscars: Movie Musical Mania! - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/27/22 at 7:34pm

Dune has pretty much swept in design categories that are being done pre-telecast. 

TaffyDavenport
TaffyDavenport
TaffyDavenport
TaffyDavenport
TaffyDavenport

Videos