pixeltracker

London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al- Page 3

London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#50London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/2/23 at 3:49pm

Another National Anthem would have been rousing, and I'd have loved to have seen Bernadette do Gun Song. Oh, well. I don't mean to complain. I liked how the 80th concert included some more of the obscure stuff, it would have been nice to see that happen again.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Musicaldudepeter
#51London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/2/23 at 4:32pm

Why has there been no American memorial concert given like this London one? Will there be one at all? This cast was really second rate apart from Bernadette, Julia, Maria and I guess Ball. 

Jay Lerner-Z
#52London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/2/23 at 4:40pm

I can't agree. Are you talking talent or how well known they are?

I liked very much Anna Jane Casey's Not Getting Married Today, even though I don't know anything about her. The accent really fit, even with the Americanisms in the lyrics. Then of course there was Judi Dench, Petula Clark, Julian Ovenden...

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

BorisTomashevsky
#53London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/2/23 at 5:09pm

I thought Damien Lewis was kinda dreadful. Not sure why he was there as I can’t find any info of him ever doing Sondheim or any musical theatre at all.

Michael Ball’s Could I Leave You felt like someone’s first time trying the song at an audition, with how unfocused and flail-y he was. But maybe there wasn’t much rehearsal time given since there were choreographed numbers to deal with. 

Cameron shoving that ALW/SS piano video into the evening was embarrassing and just proves that his ego knows no bounds. Also, is he developing a speech impediment? Or has he lost some front teeth? That was a new sound.

They really made Bernadette work, and I thought her voice was about as great as anyone can expect at her age.

Haydn Gwynne was wonderful. Jeremy Secombe sang Judge Turpin beautifully. 

Spare a thought for the editor of the broadcast, for as choppy and nonsensical as some of the cuts were, I think they were dealing as best as possible with what they had. I saw a few mis-steps and “not quite together” choreography mistakes which probably couldn’t be hidden and makes me think the rehearsal time they did have was probably not enough. 

Overall a well-sung evening despite a few egregious lyric mistakes - imagine if the man himself had been present - but to wrap up before the end of “Our Time” was a bummer.  

Updated On: 1/2/23 at 05:09 PM

JSquared2
#54London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/2/23 at 5:14pm

BorisTomashevsky said: "I thought Damien Lewis was kinda dreadful. Not sure why he was there as I can’t find any info of him ever doing Sondheim or any musical theatre at all.

Guess you didn't look very hard -- he was The Wolf/Cinderella's Prince at The Donmar Warehouse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damian_Lewis#Stage

BorisTomashevsky
#55London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/2/23 at 5:22pm

JSquared2 said: "BorisTomashevsky said: "I thought Damien Lewis was kinda dreadful. Not sure why he was there as I can’t find any info of him ever doing Sondheim or any musical theatre at all.

Guess you didn't look very hard -- he was The Wolf/Cinderella's Prince at The Donmar Warehouse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damian_Lewis#Stage

"

Thanks, I read the Wiki paragraphs where it isn’t mentioned, but didn’t check that list. 

Updated On: 1/2/23 at 05:22 PM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#56London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/3/23 at 5:06am

Watched this tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it! Losing My Mind, Not a Day Goes By, Everything's Coming up Roses, and Send in the Clowns were easily the highlights for me. That being said, there were definitely some strange choices. 

The set list was pretty lacking. There was a lot of good stuff in there, but WAY to much Follies, Sweeney, Into the Woods, and Company (which I admit despite it being my favorite Sondheim show). 23 of the songs came from just those four shows. I know they're some of his most popular and best work, but I can easily pick 1-3 songs from each that should have been cut in favor of at least something from Evening Primrose, Assassins, and Anyone Can Whistle. TBH, I don't mind the exclusion of his other shows (I'm really not as familiar with them), but there was really no room for Take Me to the World, Everybody Says Don't, and Unworthy of Your Love?

Then there was the strange usage of the cast.  My guess is that some of them were just able to commit a lot less rehearsal and prep time, so there was a reliance on those who could (Bernadette, Michael Ball, Sonia Friedman). That's totally understandable, but what they did with the limited time they had with some of the performers was so strange. They nailed some of them. If I get one song from each of Judi Dench and Imelda Staunton, there's nothing else I'd rather see than Judi do Clowns and Imelda do one of Rose's numbers. But to have Helena Bonham Carter and have her ONLY appear in Broadway Baby was so strange to me. I don't know what the situation was with that (maybe it really was all she could do), but having an international mega-star like Helena Bonham Carter and having her only appear for a minute as part of an ensemble and then in the finale was so weird. It felt like maybe there was something cut for time for the broadcast or something like that!

sng
#57London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/3/23 at 5:20am

wonderful concert. I hope they do one in New York. Did they film this at the theatre where Les Miz is playing? The set looks like it's from Les Miz and many cast members are from the production I think

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#58London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/3/23 at 5:39am

sng said: "wonderful concert. I hope they do one in New York. Did they film this at the theatre where Les Miz is playing? The set looks like it's from Les Miz and many cast members are from the production I think"

they did – it's the Sondheim Theatre

Updated On: 1/3/23 at 05:39 AM

Jay Lerner-Z
#59London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/3/23 at 4:06pm

Where did the Greta Garbo line in I'm Still Here come from?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#60London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/3/23 at 5:37pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Assassins is kind of a "downer" and most of those numbers might not do well out of context..."

“Unworthy of Your Love” works just fine out of context if you ignore the names of the people they’re actually singing about. It’s actually one of my favorite Sondheim songs. In Putting it Together they just replaced the names with “darling” and it worked well enough.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#61London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/3/23 at 9:56pm

Judi Dench was heartbreakingly good with Send in the Clowns.  Haydn Gwynne’s Ladies who Lunch was excellent.  I also loved I’m Still Here by Petula Clarke.  This was a great concert. Excellent camera work.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#62London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/3/23 at 11:31pm

Melissa25 said: "Judi Dench was heartbreakingly good with Send in the Clowns. Haydn Gwynne’s Ladies who Lunch was excellent. I also loved I’m Still Here by Petula Clarke. This was a great concert. Excellent camera work."

Judi Dench's rendition of that song nearly killed me emotionally!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

mememe
#63London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 1/5/23 at 10:22am

Damien Lewis was the Prince/Wolf in the Donmar Into the Woods

and yes Cam Mac, and that ego. Very much a know thing in London theatre circles but he’s getting shameless publicly 

Dylan Smith4
#64London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/22/23 at 4:48pm

A LIVE album is coming soon! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqGtNW5oyZX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

binau Profile Photo
binau
#65London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/22/23 at 4:53pm

Nice!

Random comment, I wonder if Bernadette will get to sing "Send in the Clowns" or any of the Sweeney material now that the cast changes on the West End. I think I would die and go to heaven if I hear Bernadette do 'Worst Pies', My Friends' and 'Priest' (if I recall what they did). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#66London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/22/23 at 5:09pm

My guess is that the Sweeney stuff will go to Lea Salonga since she did the show and this concert seemed to have people perform numbers associated with things they’ve done in the past. 

Dylan Smith4
#67London Cam Mac Sondheim concert with Bernadette, Judi Dench, Staunton et al
Posted: 3/22/23 at 6:07pm

So Bernadette will definitely be doing songs from Sunday and ITW for sure!

Latest Posts