pixeltracker

THE OUTSIDERS On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

THE OUTSIDERS On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1THE OUTSIDERS On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 3/7/22 at 4:53pm

La Jolla Playhouse has announced the final two productions for its 2022/2023 season: the world-premiere musical The Outsiders, to run February/March, 2023; and a re-imagined production of Shakespeare's As You Like It, to run November/December, 2022.

The story that defined a generation is re-imagined in a groundbreaking musical for a new generation. In 1967 Tulsa, Oklahoma, the hardened hearts, aching souls and romantic dreams of Ponyboy Curtis, Johnny Cade and their band of greasers take center stage in a fight for survival and a quest for purpose. Adapted from S.E. Hinton's seminal book and Francis Ford Coppola's iconic film, The Outsiders features a book by Pulitzer Prize finalist Adam Rapp (The Sound Inside), music and lyrics by Jamestown Revival (Jonathan Clay and Zach Chance) and Tony Award winner Justin Levine (Moulin Rouge!), music supervision, arrangements and orchestrations by Justin Levine, directed by Obie Award winner Danya Taymor (Pass Over).

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/La-Jolla-Playhouse-Announces-THE-OUTSIDERS-and-Re-Imagined-AS-YOU-LIKE-IT-for-20222023-Season-20220307

Updated On: 12/8/23 at 04:53 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#2THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 3/7/22 at 5:08pm

Wasn’t this supposed to premiere at the Goodman in Chicago this summer before postponing? Liesel Tommy was initially attached as the director, and now it seems like it’s in the hands of Dayna Taymor. Wonder if there may be some behind the scenes drama going on. Hope it goes well!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 1/26/24 at 05:08 PM

jacobsnchz14
#3THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 3/7/22 at 5:30pm

Adam Kaplan was the only cast member whose name I saw had worked on the show at some point during the development process. Looks like he may be involved with the production after Fox canceled The Big Leap.

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#4THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 3/7/22 at 6:31pm

I've got $5 that says there's a song titled "Stay Gold" here somewhere.........

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#5THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 3/7/22 at 7:29pm

And it goes a little something LIKE THIS.

The Outsiders- Stay Gold - YouTube

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

jacobsnchz14
#6THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 10/28/22 at 11:47pm

ON SALE COUNTDOWN STARTS NOW! THE OUTSIDERS, a story that defined a generation with S.E. Hinton's novel and Francis Ford Coppola's film, is coming to the Playhouse as a world-premiere musical launching Feb 19, 2023. Sign up to receive a ticket alert, secure the best seats and learn more: bit.ly/TheOutsidersLJP

BETTY22
#7THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 10/29/22 at 9:00am

This sounds GREAT. 

Dollypop
#8THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 10/29/22 at 1:24pm

THE OUTSIDERS was a novel that high school freshmen loved. They frequently finished the book in one night.  (It's not that long a book)

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 2/16/23 at 01:24 PM

jacobsnchz14
#9THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 1/5/23 at 1:26pm

La Jolla Playhouse has announced the cast and creative team for its world-premiere production of The Outsiders, the new musical adapted from S.E. Hinton's seminal novel and Francis Ford Coppola's groundbreaking film. Featuring a book by Pulitzer Prize finalist Adam Rapp, music and lyrics by Jamestown Revival (Jonathan Clay & Zach Chance) and Tony Award winner Justin Levine; music supervision, arrangements and orchestrations by Justin Levine, and choreography by Rick Kuperman & Jeff Kuperman, The Outsiders is directed by Obie Award winner Danya Taymor. The Outsiders will begin preview performances on February 19 (press opening: Saturday, March 4). For tickets and information, please visit LaJollaPlayhouse.org.

The cast features (in order of appearance): Brody Grant as "Ponyboy," Sky Lakota-Lynch as "Johnny," Daniel Marconi as "Randy," Kevin William Paul as "Bob," Brent Comer as "Paul," Ryan Vasquez as "Darrel," Da'Von T. Moody as "Dallas," Jason Schmidt as "Sodapop," Trevor McGhie as "Two-Bit," Piper Patterson as "Cherry," Kiki Lemieux as "Marcia," along with ensemble members Annelise Baker, Jordan Chin, Milena Comeau, Barton CowperthwaiteTilly Evans-Krueger, Spencer McCabe Hunsicker, Sean H. Jones, L'ogan J'ones, Renni Magee, Tristan McIntyre, Junior Nyong'o, Melody Rose and Daryl Tofa.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Brody-Grant-Sky-Lakota-Lynch-Daniel-Marconi-More-to-Star-in-THE-OUTSIDERS-World-Premiere-at-La-Jolla-Playhouse-20230105

Updated On: 1/5/23 at 01:26 PM

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#10THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 1/5/23 at 1:36pm

Have they re-cast the entire show?

jacobsnchz14
#11THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 2/16/23 at 11:43am

https://www.kpbs.org/news/arts-culture/2023/02/15/playhouse-launches-world-premiere-of-the-outsiders

Danya Taymor directs La Jolla Playhouse's world premiere production, and she said that the characters are just trying to get by.

"It's a story about class warfare, it's a story about chosen family and belonging, and it's also a story about masculinity and all its forms, and its tenderness and its aggression and rage, and its love. And at its heart, I think it is about friendship and belonging," Taymor said.

Moreski93
#12THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 2/16/23 at 11:47am

I’ve got my ticket for Friday the 24th. It’s the highlight of my west coast trip since I’m from Tulsa.

jacobsnchz14
#13THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 2/18/23 at 11:31pm

Performances begin tomorrow!

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#14THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 2/19/23 at 1:21pm

Excited to hear more about this one. Feels like it's been in development for so long now. Share thoughts if you'll be attending this week!

jacobsnchz14
#15THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 3/4/23 at 3:09pm

Tonight is the official opening and reviews should be available soon!

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#16THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 3/7/23 at 12:18pm

You heard it here first- a theatre has already been booked on Broadway for a summer opening. 

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#17THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 3/7/23 at 12:47pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Tonight is the official opening and reviews should be available soon!"

Mixed from the NY Times but the others are positive.

https://playbill.com/article/reviews-heres-what-critics-are-saying-about-the-musical-adaptation-of-the-outsiders

Updated On: 3/7/23 at 12:47 PM

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#19THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 3/9/23 at 7:42pm

BroadwayBaby6 said: "You heard it here first- a theatre has already been booked on Broadway for a summer opening.

Really? That's a mighty fast turn-around. Producers typically want more time than that--a lot more.
"

whatever2
#20THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 3/9/23 at 8:37pm

pethian said: "BroadwayBaby6 said: "You heard it here first- a theatre has already been booked on Broadway for a summer opening.

Really? That's a mighty fast turn-around. Producers typically want more time than that--a lot more.

plus even  the positive reviews said it needed some re-working.

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

Eaker1780
#21THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 4/2/23 at 1:59pm

💆🏾‍♂️ I enjoyed the show ALOT! Having been in final callbacks for the workshop I went in sad haha but leaving I just wanted to be a part of it even more. Sure some things could be tweaked but ITS SO GOOD!

jacobsnchz14
DaveyG
#23THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 8/9/23 at 11:17am

jacobsnchz14 said: "Angelina Jolie has joined on as producer.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Angelina-Jolie-Joins-Producing-Team-of-Broadway--Bound-THE-OUTSIDERS-20230809
"

Do these celeb producers make a difference?

I think the bigger issue here is that Araca is lead producing. These are the geniuses that gave us Diana, The Musical. 

BETTY22
#24THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 8/9/23 at 1:21pm

This is 100% a new trend.

However, unless its organic - like Oprah and The Color Purple, it doesn't make much of a difference to ticket sales. 

Dom P
#25THE OUTSIDERS musical set for La Jolla premiere
Posted: 8/9/23 at 2:57pm

DaveyG said: "jacobsnchz14 said: "Angelina Jolie has joined on as producer.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Angelina-Jolie-Joins-Producing-Team-of-Broadway--Bound-THE-OUTSIDERS-20230809
"

Do these celeb producers make a difference?

I think the bigger issue here is that Araca is lead producing. These are the geniuses that gave us Diana, The Musical.
"

Celebrity producers provide funds. I hope this happens and is well received.  Might this fit well into Circle in the Square? 

Videos