pixeltracker

Dames At Sea With Bernadette Peters

Dames At Sea With Bernadette Peters

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#1Dames At Sea With Bernadette Peters
Posted: 3/31/22 at 12:41am

Why is Hal Linden in recording photos when he does not appear on any cast lists? Does anyone know?

Updated On: 3/31/22 at 12:41 AM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 3/31/22 at 8:35am

Thanks for sharing that long-ass link which is basically a Hal Linden photo album.  Nice.  yes

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#4Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 3/31/22 at 11:08am

I had read recently that David Christmas had passed away in an actor’s retirement home. David played opposite of a young Bernadette with straight hair in Dames At Sea.

Updated On: 3/31/22 at 11:08 AM

BrodyFosse123
#5Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 3/31/22 at 12:52pm

UWS10023 said: "I had read recently that David Christmas had passed away in an actor’s retirement home. David played opposite of a young Bernadette with straight hair in Dames At Sea."

This is how we post photos on this message board.  No links please.

Dames At Sea With Bernadette

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#6Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 3/31/22 at 4:02pm

Thank you Brody. I shall take note. I love the picture you posted.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#7Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 3/31/22 at 9:47pm

People can post photos any way they want to.

BrodyFosse123
#8Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 3/31/22 at 10:04pm

TotallyEffed said: "People can post photos any way they want to."

Dollypop
#9Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 3/31/22 at 11:39pm

UWS10023 said: "I had read recently that David Christmas had passed away in an actor’s retirement home. David played opposite of a young Bernadette with straight hair in Dames At Sea."

I saw David Christmas play Cornelius in a Music Fair tour of HELLO, DOLLY!  In the mid-70's. He was quite good.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#10Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 4/1/22 at 12:27pm

I have never seen a production of Dames At Sea. Seems like it used to be a summer stock staple. In the recording photo Bernadette has long straight hair and glasses.

Updated On: 4/1/22 at 12:27 PM

BrodyFosse123
#11Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 4/1/22 at 12:53pm

UWS10023 said: "I have never seen a production of Dames At Sea. Seems like it used to be a summer stock staple. In the recording photo Bernadette has long straight hair and glasses.”

binau Profile Photo
binau
#12Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 4/1/22 at 3:16pm

Bernadette is just the cutest person ever. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#13Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 4/1/22 at 3:58pm

binau said: "Bernadette is just the cutest person ever."

I agree. She is ageless.

Updated On: 4/1/22 at 03:58 PM

BrodyFosse123
#14Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 4/1/22 at 4:08pm

UWS10023 said: "I have never seen a production of Dames At Sea. Seems like it used to be a summer stock staple. In the recording photo Bernadette has long straight hair and glasses.
"

An ill-received 2015 Broadway production ran for about 3 months at the Helen Hayes Theatre.  It was a simple little parody musical originally done in a night club so many felt making it a big scale Broadway musical didn’t fit the show’s intention.  It flopped so it’s obvious many agreed.

Updated On: 4/1/22 at 04:08 PM

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#15Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 4/2/22 at 9:24am

I was fortunate enough to see a production of the show starring Bernadette at the long gone Academy Festival Theatre in suburban Chicago; Summer 1973.

Dollypop
#16Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 4/2/22 at 11:12am

UWS10023 said: "I have never seen a production of Dames At Sea. Seems like it used to be a summer stock staple. In the recording photo Bernadette has long straight hair and glasses.

Bernadette's curls are a wig. I was at a Tony Awards dress rehearsal a few years ago and she was one of the presenters. She showed up in jeans and her brown hair was pulled back in a short ponytail. I think she was wearing glasses.
"

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

inception Profile Photo
inception
#17Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 4/2/22 at 11:42am

It seemed like before the 2015 production there were constant posts for a few years of " When is Dames st Sea coming, why hasn't it been done yet.." etc

Unfortunately mainstream audiences don't seem as interested in many revivals, especially when they are played straight.  Oklahoma did OK by reinventing the show - even if many hated it, they still bought tickets.   Whereas more traditional revivals haven't fared as well... Carousel, On the Town, Gigi  (an adaptation, but still similar in being "old fashioned"Dames At Sea With Bernadette come to mind.  I suppose LCT did well with My Fair Lady & The King & I - but they are helped by having a large subscriber base.

For myself, as a tourist with always a limited schedule of what I can see when I am in the city, I gave all these a wide berth in favor of seeing newer works.

BrodyFosse123 said:

An ill-received 2015 Broadway production ran for about 3 months at the Helen Hayes Theatre. It was a simple little parody musical originally done in a night club so many felt making it a big scale Broadway musical didn’t fit the show’s intention. It flopped so it’s obvious many agreed.

"

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#18Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 4/2/22 at 4:12pm

Maybe City Center could consider it for Encores although they seem to be moving in another direction. The Choo-Choi Honeymoon song has been used in musical reviews over the years.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#19Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 4/3/22 at 1:21am

Never saw the revival as i'm not a huge tap fan, but this is interesting. 

Also that Carousel was just awful

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#20Dames At Sea With Bernadette
Posted: 4/3/22 at 5:53am

Dollypop said: "UWS10023 said: "I have never seen a production of Dames At Sea. Seems like it used to be a summer stock staple. In the recording photo Bernadette has long straight hair and glasses.

Bernadette's curls are a wig. I was at a Tony Awards dress rehearsal a few years ago and she was one of the presenters. She showed up in jeans and her brown hair was pulled back in a short ponytail. I think she was wearing glasses.
"

"

The curls are a wig now, but were they always such? Going back to the 70's?

Videos