75th Annual TONY Awards tickets

bstoll1
#175th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/4/22 at 12:39pm

When did tickets go on sale for the TONY Awards? Was it recently or a few months ago? 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#275th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/4/22 at 12:59pm

They are very expensive. I went years ago and paid around 175.00 for the last tier. They are currently in the 500 dollar range.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#375th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/4/22 at 4:25pm

bstoll1 said: "When did tickets go on sale for the TONY Awards? Was it recently or a few months ago?"

https://www.ticketmaster.com/the-american-theatre-wings-75th-annual-new-york-new-york-06-12-2022/event/3C005C94EB2112CB

joshdog2014
#475th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/4/22 at 5:46pm

To answer the actual question that was asked: they went on sale at the same time as the nominations were announced the morning of May 9.

BrodyFosse123
#575th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 9:26am

75th Annual TONY Awards tickets

hearthemsing22
#675th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 9:39am

Oh yes $256 (essentially) is very reasonable! *insert eye roll here* 

BrodyFosse123
#775th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 9:44am

hearthemsing22 said: "Oh yes $256 (essentially) is very reasonable! *insert eye roll here*"

Regular standard admission tickets start at $581 per ticket (before fees).  That’s over 50% off and the price of a Broadway musical, basically.  

Tjlovesmusicals
#875th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 10:08am

Anybody know what time to arrive at box office for a shot at tickets?

BrodyFosse123
#975th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 10:19am

Tjlovesmusicals said: "Anybody know what time to arrive at box office for a shot at tickets?"

Earlier the better.  This hasn’t been done before so it’s impossible to get a consensus based on the past.  Anyone providing any time is purely speculating.  Maybe some will start lining-up at 3am?  Maybe 4:45am?  Maybe first person is there at 9:30am?  It’s your call, pal.  

Dollypop
#1075th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 10:50am

bstoll1 said: "When did tickets go on sale for the TONY Awards? Was it recently or a few months ago?"

Odd you should ask this question as you present yourself as being the "guy with all the answers" at your library talks.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 6/7/22 at 10:50 AM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#1175th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 1:11pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Tjlovesmusicals said: "Anybody know what time to arrive at box office for a shot at tickets?"

Earlier the better. This hasn’t been done before so it’s impossible to get a consensus based on the past. Anyone providing any time is purely speculating. Maybe some will start lining-up at 3am? Maybe 4:45am? Maybe first person is there at 9:30am? It’s your call, pal.
"

Back in 2018 they offered student rush tix for Tony awards at $106/ticket.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1110097#

https://www.playbill.com/article/2018-tony-awards-will-offer-student-rush-tickets

Updated On: 6/6/22 at 01:11 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#1275th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 1:23pm

Duplicate - delete

Updated On: 6/6/22 at 01:23 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#1375th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 1:34pm

The idea of pricing any "student rush" at $256 - even for an event like this - is so out of touch with reality.

The point of student rush is not just to be discounted "compared to full price." It's to accommodate students who are likely on a heavily restricted income; to price things within a bracket that a person on that income can reasonably afford to pay. Once you've gone so far out of that bracket, it ceases to matter what percentage off the price is, because they've already been priced out. You can keep going up like this forever; a $1000 student rush ticket will called "reasonable" because full price is $4000.

I'm sure there are students who can afford to pay $256 - and some of them surely will pay it. But those probably aren't the students who the Student Rush concept was supposed to serve in the first place. They'd probably be better off just making it a general rush, if for no other reason than that it would seem less marginally less ludicrous. 

Updated On: 6/6/22 at 01:34 PM

Lilly7
#1475th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 2:38pm

The last time this was offered was in 2018, albeit at a more attainable price of $100. There were definitely a good number of folks who had camped out overnight, but some people also reported walking up when the box office opened with no problems. It all depends on how many tickets they’ll have available. Also, in 2018, they only sold them the day before compare to Tuesday this year. 

JasonC3
#1575th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 2:42pm

With people in spirit, but many of the college students I work with routinely pay $200 for concert tickets and merch.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#1675th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 2:45pm

JasonC3 said: "With people in spirit, but many of the college students I work with routinely pay $200 for concert tickets and merch."

I don't doubt it - but I'd refer you back to the first 2 sentences of the final paragraph in my post above. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#1775th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 2:55pm

Who keeps all this money profit from ticket sales?

Updated On: 6/6/22 at 02:55 PM

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#1875th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 3:08pm

JBroadway said: "The idea of pricing any "student rush" at $256 - even for an event like this - is so out of touch with reality.

The point of student rush is not just to be discounted "compared to full price." It's to accommodate students who are likely on a heavily restricted income; to price things within a bracket that a person on that income can reasonably afford to pay. Once you've gone so far out of that bracket, it ceases to matter what percentage off the price is, because they've already been priced out. You can keep going up like this forever; a $1000 student rush ticket will called "reasonable" because full price is $4000.

I'm sure there are students who can afford to pay $256 - and some of them surely will pay it. But those probably aren't the students who the Student Rush concept was supposed to serve in the first place. They'd probably be better off just making it a general rush, if for no other reason than that it would seem less marginally less ludicrous.
"

The point of student rush tickets is to sell unused inventory at a discount without cannibalizing full-priced sales. Always has been always will be and anything in press releases about accessibility is window dressing.

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#1975th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 3:10pm

Wick3 said: "Who keeps all this money profit from ticket sales?"

The Tony Awards aren't profitable, which is one of the reasons they charge so much for tickets and statuettes. 

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#2075th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 3:14pm

delete

Updated On: 6/6/22 at 03:14 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2175th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/6/22 at 3:18pm

itsjustmejonhotmailcom said: "The point of student rush tickets is to sell unused inventory at a discount without cannibalizing full-priced sales. Always has been always will be and anything in press releases about accessibility is window dressing."

Fair enough, honestly.

Despite my constant ranting and raving on these boards about the professional BS of commercial theatre, I guess I fall for the smoke-and-mirrors tricks myself, from time to time. 

Updated On: 6/6/22 at 03:18 PM

Crashdowngurl693
#2275th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/8/22 at 4:46am

Anyone actually go there and check the student rush situation? In addition to being quite expensive, I asked them if it was 1 or 2 per ID as well as if they were only sold on Tuesday on both FB and Insta. Disclaimer: I have been saving since 2019 to afford to buy a ticket. 

socjoc1107 Profile Photo
socjoc1107
#2375th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/8/22 at 12:43pm

Hope this helps:

• I arrived at the box office at 9:50 a.m. on Tuesday, June 7 (first morning they were selling them!).
  • I assumed this was fine because I thought the $250 ticket price was not going to attract many students... I was half right
  • There were about 50 people in line once the box office opened at 10:00 a.m., with two windows opened. 
  • I had to lead a work call at 10:30 a.m., so when only 4 people had been checked out at 10:16 a.m. (not joking), I left the line to take my call and hoped there would still be tickets when I got back.
  • Went back at 11:00 a.m., and the line had JUST emptied. Literally an individual who was 4 people behind me was just checking out...
  • I had the option of purchasing 1 or 2 tickets. They did request a valid student ID card, email, and phone number for ticket delivery (no printed tickets!). 
  • I am not sure if they are still selling tickets or still have availability, but that was my journey yesterday!

Woo! 

Tjlovesmusicals
#2475th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/8/22 at 12:54pm

Curious where everyone ended up. I was one of the first few and mine is marked obstructed view bc of sound equipment but it’s center 2nd mezz and I’m excited to watch the tech side of things so I’m happy

Crashdowngurl693
#2575th Annual TONY Awards tickets
Posted: 6/8/22 at 4:43pm

Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m not gonna make it there until tomorrow morning so who knows. 

Videos