pixeltracker

What should I see in London in October

What should I see in London in October

nophibbing
#1What should I see in London in October
Posted: 7/30/22 at 11:33pm

Going to London in October (24-28) and have time for 5 shows. I already purchased tickets for Eureka Day and My Neighbour Totoro. My shortlist for the remaining three spots is:

The Crucible
Blues for an Alabama Sky
Good
John Gabriel Borkman
The Doctor
Cabaret (Thinking I might just hold out on this one and hope for a Broadway transfer)

Any thoughts, incites, or additional recs would be greatly appreciated.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2What should I see in London in October
Posted: 7/30/22 at 11:58pm

Man, I’m jealous you could see “The Crucible”. One of my 3 favorite plays that I never miss the chance to see and it’s closing RIGHT before I get into town. I’m very much looking forward to “The Doctor”, though. 

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#3What should I see in London in October
Posted: 7/31/22 at 4:03am

I don’t think you could go wrong with any of those choices, and it will really come down to your own preferences. That said, I’m really looking forward to The Crucible and Good. Cabaret is brilliant but agreed it will probably transfer and if not, will be running in London for some time.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#4What should I see in London in October
Posted: 7/31/22 at 8:47pm

If it matters as to Cabaret, Fra Fee and Amy Lennox are presently scheduled to October 1 so there may be a different Emcee and Sally Bowles when you visit

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#5What should I see in London in October
Posted: 7/31/22 at 10:15pm

How'd I miss a new production of The Crucible was happening?! Who (or what company) is helming it?

JasonC3
#6What should I see in London in October
Posted: 7/31/22 at 10:17pm

Did you take a look at A Single Man at Park Theatre?

https://parktheatre.co.uk/whats-on/a-single-man

Not One of Those People also intrigues me because of the premise and production design.

https://royalcourttheatre.com/whats-on/not-one-of-these-people/

Updated On: 7/31/22 at 10:17 PM

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#7What should I see in London in October
Posted: 8/1/22 at 12:10am

Last I had heard - TAMMY FAYE musical by Elton John and Jake Sheers was going into Almeida Theatre in the Fall. 

Domar Warehouse nor Almedia Theatre have announced their respective new seasons.

Looks like you have all great shows listed - and just some advice after a big London Theatre trip - save room for one show - keep a blank space open for anything exciting that has yet to be announced.  Inevitably there will be some Covid closures and maybe even some really bad reviews or WOM of a show you are looking forward to seeing.

I'd also recommend looking to see what performances schedules there are - sometimes a Sunday or Monday might be on the schedule for one of the shows you want to see - and that might be good way to go into it.

Speaking from experience after a big London Trip recently - one of the shows I was most looking forward to got fairly bad reviews and WOM add a cancelled performance of another highly anticipated show due to Covid - my theatre schedule sorta became an algebra problem.

nophibbing
#8What should I see in London in October
Posted: 8/1/22 at 12:53am

Donmar and Almeida have both announced. Donmar is doing The Band's Visit while I'm there and Almeida is doing The Doctor (which I'm considering) on the West End and The Clinic all of September at their flagship space so they won't have another show up by the time I'm there. The Tammy Faye musical sounds intriguing. We're doing Totoro on a Thursday matinee but everyone else is that traditional Monday-Saturday Wednesday/Saturday matinee schedule that London has. 

nophibbing
#9What should I see in London in October
Posted: 8/1/22 at 12:54am

TheatreMonkey said: "How'd I miss a new production ofThe Crucible was happening?! Who (or what company) is helming it?"

The National is doing it in the Olivier. 

hearthemsing22
#10What should I see in London in October
Posted: 8/1/22 at 8:05am

I know you’ve most likely seen Wicked, but the new Elphaba, Lucie Jones, has been getting RAVES for her performance. I’m so jealous you’re going because oh goodness would I love to see her! 

Owen22
#11What should I see in London in October
Posted: 8/1/22 at 1:40pm

"Eureka Day" with an all star, mostly American, cast at the Old Vic.

"Cherry Orchard" at the Yard (James McDonald directing at the Yard is the interest piquer...)

"Blues for an Alabama Sky" at the National with Giles Terera and Samira Wiley.

The gorgeous American play "Yellowman" is being revived at the Orange Tree in Richmond, London.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#12What should I see in London in October
Posted: 8/1/22 at 4:43pm

I stand corrected about Donmar and I know The Doctor is a transfer to the West End so Almeida might still have a slot

Sounds like you are seeing ALL the good things.  I'd recommend Cabaret as well (prices are gonna be cheaper in London - did I just actually say that - then if it does transfer to NYC) get those table seats at the front so worth it 

Enjoy!  We are all envious

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#13What should I see in London in October
Posted: 8/1/22 at 5:03pm

Isn’t Elton John’s Tammy Faye musical still going to the Almeida this Fall?

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#14What should I see in London in October
Posted: 8/1/22 at 5:28pm

nophibbing said: "Going to London in October (24-28) and have time for 5 shows. I already purchased tickets for Eureka Day and My Neighbour Totoro. My shortlist for the remaining three spots is:

The Crucible
Blues for an Alabama Sky
Good
John Gabriel Borkman
The Doctor
Cabaret (Thinking I might just hold out on this one and hope for a Broadway transfer)

Any thoughts, incites, or additional recs would be greatly appreciated.
"

See the Crown Jewels

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#15What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/16/22 at 11:05am

It’s been a few years since I’ve been in London. Any recos for 1-2 prodicutions I can’t miss? I’ll be in Monday - Friday this upcoming week. 

Guilty pleasure - I’ll probably see wicked again assuming I can find out if Lucie Jones will be on. Does anyone know when she is usually out? 

BETTY22
#16What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/16/22 at 11:37am

I saw Cabaret the last time I was in the UK.

It is magical. 

SuttonPeron
#17What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/16/22 at 11:46am

Cabaret is an absolute must. It´s a production like no other. Simply stunning. And you´d get Amy Lennox who is the perfect Sally Bowles. I´d also reccomend Mamma Mia!, because there´s truly no Donna like Mazz Murray, who sings and acts the part wonderfully and the band sounds amazing. And Mary Poppins. Zizi Strallen´s take on the title role is so fresh, and the show itself is the perfect boost of joy and emotion. Of course, you can never go wrong with Wicked, Les Mis or Lion King.

Phantom has a reduced orchestra and set, so I wouldn´t recommend it. 

JasonC3
#18What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/16/22 at 12:55pm

Check TheatreBoard for more expansive comments on current London shows.

Not getting the option to provide a direct link for some reason, but here is the URL: https://theatreboard.co.uk/ Updated On: 9/16/22 at 12:55 PM

ElephantLoveMedley
#19What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/16/22 at 1:06pm

steven22 said: "Guilty pleasure - I’ll probably see wicked again assuming I can find out if Lucie Jones will be on. Does anyone know when she is usually out?"

According to the Wicked West End cast page (scroll down to the very bottom!), Lucie is on holiday next week from Tuesday, September 22 through Thursday, September 22, 2022. (She's also scheduled to be out from Friday, October 21 through Sunday, October 23, 2022).

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#20What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/17/22 at 6:14am

ElephantLoveMedley said: "steven22 said: "Guilty pleasure - I’ll probably see wicked again assuming I can find out if Lucie Jones will be on. Does anyone know when she is usually out?"

According to the Wicked West End cast page (scroll down to the very bottom!), Lucie is on holiday next week from Tuesday, September 22 through Thursday, September 22, 2022. (She's also scheduled to be out from Friday, October 21 through Sunday, October 23, 2022).
"

Thanks! I forgot that the London production does that. Very helpful. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#21What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/25/22 at 11:13am

I'd really appreciate some recommendations for November. I will unfortunately be too late for The Crucible. If I can only see one I am thinking about The Doctor. Would love to hear what any of y'all think. :)

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#22What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/25/22 at 3:15pm

I don't know if this is a "should" but I had a good time at 2:22 A Ghost Story - it's closing at The Criterion on January 8. There is a US production in Los Angeles (Oct 29 to Dec 4), so there might be a US Tour in the works. 

It's not a great play, but something different and fun. I don't know about the current cast as the one I saw in June has moved on. 

Owen22
#23What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/25/22 at 3:16pm

TotallyEffed said: "I'd really appreciate some recommendations for November. I will unfortunately be too late for The Crucible. If I can only see one I am thinking about The Doctor. Would love to hear what any of y'all think. :)"

I'm seeing it this week and I'll let you know.

JasonC3
#24What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/25/22 at 4:49pm

TotallyEffed said: "I'd really appreciate some recommendations for November. I will unfortunately be too late for The Crucible. If I can only see one I am thinking about The Doctor. Would love to hear what any of y'all think. :)"

Not sure of your November dates but my lineup for the first week of November includes:

The Crucible, Olivier Theatre

A Single Man, Park Theatre

Cabaret, Playhouse Theatre

Not One of Those People, Jerwood Thwatre

My Son's a Queer, Garrick Theatre

Tammy Faye, Almeida Theatre

John Gabriel Borkman, Bridge Theatre

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#25What should I see in London in October
Posted: 9/25/22 at 4:52pm

Thank you! I’m very interested in Cabaret but it’s extremely expensive and I still have my fingers crossed that it will come here. Decisions, decisions…

I’m thinking it’s probably going to be The Doctor or A Single Man.