pixeltracker

What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?- Page 3

What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?

Finch
#50What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/15/22 at 10:39pm

1.  Auntie Mame -- Sylvia Sydney (Bus n Truck co)

2.  The Music Man -- Preston and Cook

3.  The Producers -- Original Co

4.  Les Miz -- Original Co--Tryout

5.  Mame -- 2nd perf in Philly -- Tryout

6.  Gypsy --- Merman, Lansburrry, Daly, Peters, LaPone

7.  My One and Only -- Tryout

8.  42nd Street -- original tyrout

Updated On: 9/15/22 at 10:39 PM

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#51What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/16/22 at 12:51am

- The Waverly Gallery (2019) - I got to see Elaine May’s performance from front row center and I was in complete and total awe. 

- Company (2021) - First Preview back post Covid, probably the most electric performance I’ve ever attended.

- How I Learned to Drive (2022) - I’ve been a big fan of Mary-Louise Parker for a long time, so to finally see her live in such an earthshaking performance was a gift.

- She Loves Me (2016) - Final performance of the revival, musical comedy heaven.

- Next to Normal (2020) - Experiencing Rachel Bay Jones play Diana in what was essential a re-staging of the original production was an almost out of body experience.

- Into the Woods (2022) - Final performance at City Center. An absolutely perfect trip to the theatre.

- You Can’t Take It With You (2014) - I’ll probably never see a more perfect production of that show in my lifetime. 

Jarethan
#52What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/16/22 at 4:24am

Skip23 said: "HIGHLIGHTS:

1. Ann Miller in MAME. In that gold lamé outfit!!!

2. Ethel Merman in HELLO DOLLY! Her perf was meh, but it was ETHEL MERMAN up there!!!

3. Jim Dale in SCAPINO

4. Phil Silvers in A FUNNY THING... Still one of the funniest performances I've ever seen on Broadway!

5. Seeing Original FOLLIES 6 times. That curtain raiser!!! Collins, Loveland, And the Mirror number got me every time.

6. Bacall in APPLAUSE. What a hoot!

7. Original NIGHT MUSIC! Sublime perfection.

8. SUNDAY

9. NICHOLAS NICKELBY! Probably my highlight.

10. Original COMPANY. I think it's my favorite musical.

11. Ann Miller in tour of ANYTHING GOES. Still the best Reno Sweeney.

12. "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" original. I've never seen an audience erupt quite the same way.

13. Anthony Hopkins in EQUUS.

14. Derek Jacoby in CYRANO and MUCH ADO.

15. PRODUCERS - all of it.

16. Elizabeth Ashley in SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH (in DC) - wait...THIS was my highlight. And her CAT.

17. Lea Salonga as Eponine in LES MIZ. On My Own - I've never experienced an audience holding their breath for a whole number.

18. FOLLIES at Lincoln Center (Cook singing In Buddy's Eyes!!!! Lee Remick live!!! Stritch's BB, Patinkin's Buddy's Blues!)

19. Donna Murphy in ANYONE CAN WHISTLE at Encores! In fact, the whole production.

20. BETTY'S SUMMER VACATION (original Off Broadway cast)

Loved your list…brought back great memories, especially of Jim Dale, Phil Silvers, and Derek Jacobi in Cyrano.  I would also add Irene Worth in Sweet Bird to my list.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#53What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/16/22 at 8:48am

I have, to this day, never a seen a performance as breathtaking as Carey Mulligan’s Nina in The Seagull. Easily my all-time highlight.

I would also put August: Osage County (saw it with Deanna Dunagan and Estelle Parsons, both were electrifying) and Into the Woods at City Center up there as well.

Collingswood
#54What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/16/22 at 9:42am

Kimberly Akimbo The Musical

Elaine Stritch At Liberty

How I Learned to Drive (2022)

American Buffalo (2022)

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#55What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/16/22 at 1:59pm

Having the great (and totally accidental) fortune to see Donna McKechnie in return to her role as Cassie in A Chorus Line in 1986. It's my understanding that she only actually performed at only a few of her scheduled dates. At 16-17, whichever it was, I had no idea she would be back with the show at all, let alone about her battle with arthritis and what it took for her to regain her ability to dance ,nor the drama related to her divorce from Michael Bennett and how that impacted her career. I was just watching at this incredibly talented woman bringing the character of Cassie to life in all her dimensions--the pride, the fear, the anxiety, the vulnerability, the strength--and bringing it all when it came to dance. 

The only thing that might compare was seeing Ian Richardson in a regional production of My Fair Lady. Not a great production (but a good one), however Richardson is hands down the best Higgins I've ever seen, utterly besting Rex Harrison in the 1964 film (I can easily imagine that the movie doesn't capture Harrison at his best; everyone I've ever met who saw him in it on Broadway says it's just a shadow of his stage performance).

TimeToStartLivin
#56What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/16/22 at 8:16pm

So many shows for this old bird. But these are the shows that stick to my soul:

- Amadeus with Ian McKellan and Tim Curry. What a night that was -- and that set!

- Nicholas Nickelby: It was an event, getting a box dinner between the parts, could have watched it 10 times again it was such good theatre.

- Conference of the Birds at La Mama with Peter Brooks' company. A one-hour show, with three Persian carpets as a set. Sitting on cushions on the floor in the front row -- brilliant, heartbreaking theatre.

- Pippin: My first broadway show, sitting dead center first row with Michael Rupert and Northern Calloway and that luxurious Bob Fosse production. Changed my life. Saw it many times.

- Cabaret with Alan Cumming and Natasha Richardson -- electric!

- And although the show was good, being at the RSC production of Antony Sher's Richard III and friend in the company getting me a seat in the director's box next to Sir Alec Guinness -- that was pretty memorable!

- Frank Langella in Dracula: He was brilliant and the show was wonderful fun. Did standing room several times (when it was available -- and 5 bucks) and one night a man next to me asked me if I was enjoying the show and I told him I loved it. He was the producer, the lovely John Wulp.

Interestingly, I don't have more recent shows that compare with these -- shows that if money were no object, I would go back to see again and again. Maybe that's just getting older and not being such a fanatic about things. Or maybe not.

houseleft

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#57What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/16/22 at 8:25pm

I have had several.  #1;  I saw Sweeney Todd in 2006 with Patti LuPone.  Afterwards, I met her in her dressing room.  

What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#58What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/16/22 at 8:28pm

2016:  I saw "Chicago".  After the show ended, I had a backstage visit with Jason Patrick Sands.  It was a fantastic experience !  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#59What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/16/22 at 8:32pm

This is when Seth had his Sirius XM show at the Times Square Visitor's Center:  left to right:  Seth Rudetsky, me, Bryan Batt (where he sang "The Caveman Song"What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?) and Jack Plotnick.  

Updated On: 9/16/22 at 08:32 PM

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#60What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/17/22 at 12:04am

Two spring to mind instantly for me:

- Seeing "Hamilton" when it was a REALLY hot ticket. I could feel the jealousy from people passing by on the street as I was standing in line and it really felt like an "event' in a way no show has before or since.
- Seeing Bernadette Peters in Dolly. I don't think she was incredible in the role but I grew up wearing out the Into the Woods tape so seeing Peters live (the only time I've been able to) was a childhood dream come true.

RagtimeRay
#61What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/17/22 at 6:48am

Love this thread. I've had so many phenomenal theatre going experiences, and previous posters reminded me of quite a few of them. Here are five that stand out for me:

Sweeney Todd with Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou

Gypsy with Angela Lansbury - She was a tour de force.

Purlie with Cleavon Little and Melba Moore (a highlight was watching Joyce Brown conducting)

Promises, Promises with Jerry Orbach

Hello, Dolly! with Pearl Bailey

Ray is the author of the Brad Frame mystery series, and two suspense novels. He is also the author of a one man play based on Ben Franklin. http://www.rayflynt.com

Jarethan
#62What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/17/22 at 12:55pm

RagtimeRay said: "Love this thread. I've had so many phenomenal theatre going experiences, and previous posters reminded me of quite a few of them. Here are five that stand out for me:

Sweeney Todd with Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou

Gypsy with Angela Lansbury - She was a tour de force.

Purlie with Cleavon Little and Melba Moore (a highlight was watching Joyce Brown conducting)

Promises, Promises with Jerry Orbach

Hello, Dolly! with Pearl Bailey
"

Seeing these list makes me think 'oh, yeah, that too'.  I LOVED Purlie, if not as much as my top 5, and almost get goosebumps when I think of Melba Moore singing 'I Got Love'.  One of the great non-production number show-stoppers.  Such a shame she had probems that prevented her from being a megastar.  She was incredible.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#63What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/17/22 at 5:24pm

Lasnbury in Blite Spirit. Since she's a legend. 

oknazevad
#64What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/17/22 at 9:21pm

Back in 1998 my college choir went to London for spring break. Bunch of us went to see The Buddy Holly Story, a revival of which was playing on the West End. The lead playing Buddy was a dead ringer and really embodied the man. Don't have to take my word for it either. That was the exact verdict offered by the real-life Buddy Holly's widow. Who was there that day. None of us knew that was going to happen. It was cool.

ManOfLaMuncha
#65What is the highlight of your theatre going experiences?)
Posted: 9/17/22 at 9:59pm

last of the red hot lovers

A Chorus Line Original cast twice

Pippin original twice

Promises, Promises Original

The Sunshine Boys Original

The Ritz

Follies original

Woman of the Year

Applause with Lauren Bacall

Sweeny Todd original cast

Lenny with Cliff Gorman