News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.- Page 5

Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.

GoldenGiggery
#100Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/5/23 at 3:32pm

Zeppie2022 said: ""Funny Girl (with Beanie) **1/2 (with Lea) *1/2"

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I submit the statement above as "Exhibit A" that trolling is alive and well on BWW.
"

Except that I'm not trolling. I'm aware that this is an unpopular take in the theatre community world (hence my placing it on this board), but I thought Lea was entirely underwhelming for all the gushing (and price gouging) that was thrown about, and just a fine Barbara copy+paste. Could Beanie sing the show well? No, but I thought she delivered the comedy aspect exceptionally well. Benko was the best of the three by a landslide, IMO. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#101Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/5/23 at 4:44pm

GoldenGiggery said: "Zeppie2022 said: ""Funny Girl (with Beanie) **1/2 (with Lea) *1/2"

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I submit the statement above as "Exhibit A" that trolling is alive and well on BWW.
"

Except that I'm not trolling. I'm aware that this is an unpopular take in the theatre community world (hence my placing it on this board), but I thought Lea was entirely underwhelming for all the gushing (and price gouging) that was thrown about, and just a fine Barbara copy+paste. Could Beanie sing the show well? No, but I thought she delivered the comedy aspect exceptionally well. Benko was the best of the three by a landslide, IMO.
"

Perhaps Zeppie forgot what thread they were reading.  To each his own.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#102Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/5/23 at 4:49pm

Zeppie2022 said: ""Funny Girl (with Beanie) **1/2 (with Lea) *1/2"

"

Someone who doesn't like Chicago probably shouldn't be accusing someone else of having a bad/incorrect opinion.

Updated On: 11/5/23 at 04:49 PM

Zeppie2022
#103Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/5/23 at 7:40pm

"Perhaps Zeppie forgot what thread they were reading. To each his own."

Ok. Lea Michele who got rave reviews from every critic in the freaking country and literally saved the show from being closed got a less than two-star rating, really. Fine, if poster did not share the belief with 99% of people who saw her that she was incredible in the role. The problem I had and why I said poster was trolling was because the rating was something you give a performer or show if they were pretty bad, and it is mid blowing for me to believe anybody would have that opinion.

Zeppie2022
#104Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/5/23 at 7:52pm

"Someone who doesn't like Chicago probably shouldn't be accusing someone else of having a bad/incorrect opinion."

Did I say Chicago was awful, the answer is no. Did I give Chicago less than a two-star rating, the answer is no. I said IMO it was overrated and that is no different than people saying similar things about Hamilton and Book of Mormon. As for the dancing comment I made, every show I mentioned won Tony award for choreography. I thought the dancing in those shows were better than Chicago, I did not say Chicago was awful. 

I guess you missed my point. Fine, if poster did not think Lea Michele was as good as most people believe in her role in Funny Girl. That is an unpopular opinion and that is fine. The trolling comes in when you give her performance a less than two-star rating which means she was mediocre at best and higher rating to the actress who was basically booted off the show.

Zeppie2022
#105Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/5/23 at 8:30pm

"Except that I'm not trolling. I'm aware that this is an unpopular take in the theatre community world (hence my placing it on this board), but I thought Lea was entirely underwhelming for all the gushing (and price gouging) that was thrown about, and just a fine Barbara copy+paste. Could Beanie sing the show well? No, but I thought she delivered the comedy aspect exceptionally well. Benko was the best of the three by a landslide, IMO. "

Ok, I will apologize to you. It is one thing to say maybe that Lea was ok but saying her performance was not better than the actress who basically got fired from the show came across to me as trolling. My mistake.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#106Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/5/23 at 8:50pm

You do get this is the UNPOPULAR OPNIONS thread, right?  The poster realizes they are in the minority with this opinion . 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Zeppie2022
#107Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/5/23 at 11:31pm

"You do get this is the UNPOPULAR OPNIONS thread, right? The poster realizes they are in the minority with this opinion"

First, stop "shouting" it is rude. Second, I explained why I thought it was an "over the top" unpopular opinion and I thought it was trolling in other posts. Finally, I apologized to the poster and said it was my mistake, so I don't need you butting in with your two cents after the fact.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#108Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/7/23 at 12:15am

Feel free to post any opinions, even if they're not unpopular. They all interest me.

I am in total shock that anyone didn't like LEA as Fanny! Haha.

I added some new ratings, I saw Back to the Future, Wholesale, Pal Joey (unfortunately), Hell's Kitchen, Anuncia and Harmony.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

muscle23ftl
#109Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/10/23 at 6:44pm

Golden, did you see Back to the Future?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

tacotheatrelover Profile Photo
tacotheatrelover
#110Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/10/23 at 10:04pm

Eddie Redmayne is the worst emcee ever and shouldn’t be doing it on broadway. I’d rather have Fra and Amy do it.

muscle23ftl
#111Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/10/23 at 11:02pm

tacotheatrelover said: "Eddie Redmayne is the worst emcee ever and shouldn’t be doing it on broadway. I’d rather have Fra and Amy do it."

I will not go to see Cabaret, not because of Eddie, but to be honest, I am tired of Cabaret, how many times is it going to be revived? What about The Rink or Kiss of the Spider Woman if they want some Kander and Ebb? Or bring something new? I saw Harmony this week which is brand new, and people seem not to want to give a chance to new stuff, even if it's brilliant. The reviews on this site for Anuncia also are horrible and the show was fabulous.  People, support new shows too!

inception Profile Photo
inception
#112Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/11/23 at 9:56am

I saw an excellent production of Cabaret in 2019 at a local community college for $15.  The emcee was played by a young woman. She was fantastic & scary.  But I think $15 is the maximum I'm willing to pay to see Cabaret again.  As nice as it would be to see Bebe Neuwirth on stage... but nope not gonna do it.

I honestly prefer the cuts and changes Fosse made when he adapted the story for the film version.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#113Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/11/23 at 10:32am

I saw Spamalot at the Kennedy Center, and I thought it was the creakiest, clunkiest piece of theater I've ever seen. The attempts to stuff it with topical references somehow only accentuated its staleness.

JasonC3
#114Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/11/23 at 10:46am

muscle23ftl said: "tacotheatrelover said: "Eddie Redmayne is the worst emcee ever and shouldn’t be doing it on broadway. I’d rather have Fra and Amy do it."

I will not go to see Cabaret, not because of Eddie, but to be honest, I am tired of Cabaret, how many times is it going to be revived? What about The Rink or Kiss of the Spider Woman if they want some Kander and Ebb? Or bring something new? I saw Harmony this week which is brand new, and people seem not to want to give a chance to new stuff, even if it's brilliant. The reviews on this site for Anuncia also are horrible and the show was fabulous. People, support new shows too!
"

Many people here did attend the new shows you mentioned (which I guess qualifies as support), but some found them less satisfying than you do.  That's just the way it is.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#115Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/11/23 at 10:47am

From what I've seen so far this season (2023-2024)...

Broadway

Grey House - *

Once Upon A One More Time - **

Here Lies Love - ****

Back to the Future - ****

The Cottage - ***

The Shark Is Broken - **

Purlie Victorious - *

Merrily We Roll Along - *****

Gutenberg! - ****

Harmony - **

Spamalot - *

Off-Broadway

Titanique - ****

Hell's Kitchen - *

Here We Are - *****

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 11/11/23 at 10:47 AM

tacotheatrelover Profile Photo
tacotheatrelover
#116Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/11/23 at 11:52pm

Now bringing cabaret back into the picture, I’ve seen the show 17 times. A regional, incredible production at the Alabama Shakespeare Festival. I paid 20$ 16/17 times as I’m only in high school and get a student discount. I’ve never been to New York, I’ve seen a handful of tours me and my mom had to drive a few hours to see. But I feel those as as much as I’ve seen it, and how it is done, it can be done right. Sure more Kander and Ebb musicals would be fantastic, I would kill to see more on stage that I haven’t experienced before, but also what I’ve seen with Eddie (bootlegs, yes, Boo me.) I feel he is the weakest and most horrible emcee to date. I feel that this Production because of the horrible reviews Eddie is surely bound to get, we should start strong. Fra Fee is the man we should get to open the show, Fra is a strong, emotional, terrifying emcee and would probably skyrocket him if he did it on broadway. This is just how I feel about the whole thing, you can disagree with me but Freddie Fazmayne is one of the most overrated actors on the planet and I’m tired of pretending he is a good actor.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#117Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/12/23 at 10:37am

Taco, glad you were able to see a good production of Cabaret somewhere inexpensively. 

I want to clarify that I have no problem with the show, it is simply that as a 50 year old, I have seen enough versions of the show already in my life so I don't feel the need to spend big buck$ to see a new version on Broadway.

About Eddie Redmayne: one reason they cast him is because he won an Oscar a few years ago for a film he was in.  So they hope that adds to his prestige.  He won't be in it for a long time.  If the show continues they will cast other performers who may be better or worse.  Fra Fee looks to have a number of film projects on the go, & he might be concentrating on those in hopes that they will provide him with a better income.

Updated On: 11/13/23 at 10:37 AM

muscle23ftl
#118Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/12/23 at 9:56pm

bwayphreak: I think you're the only person so far that disliked HK, I love that theater is subjective and we can all have our opinion. If you want to tell me what you didn't like about it, please do.

inception: I am a little younger than you but also have seen Cabaret so many times that no one basically will make me want to go to a theater and pay for ticket to sit through it again. I have seen it enough times.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#119Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/13/23 at 5:33pm

Six is awful.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Zeppie2022
#120Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/14/23 at 9:21am

"Six is awful."

I saw it and actually enjoyed it. Yes, it is more like a concert than Broadway show but the music was good and the performances by the "wives" was excellent. Difference of opinion make the world go round - ha ha.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#121Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/14/23 at 9:50am

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Six is awful."

While I didn't find it to be "awful", I definitely can't say that I really liked Six. I found it to be rather gimmicky and cheap.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#122Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/14/23 at 11:51am

That's because it is gimmicky and cheap. I don't think that's an unpopular opinion, honestly. 

gibsons2
#123Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/14/23 at 11:53am

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Six is awful."

It truly is

muscle23ftl
#124Unpopular Ratings. Share Your Opinions Respectfully Please.
Posted: 11/19/23 at 12:58am

I just saw a disaster in Ohio.

Videos