London - mid March 2023

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#50London - mid March 2023
Posted: 2/17/23 at 1:25pm

We saw it at the Arts with 3 understudies - all of whom were great. The show was very intimate in that intimate space. It was simply and effectively staged. Can't speak to the Garrick version. The current cast is the original Arts cast who received generally favorable comments on the message boards.

B&C has some excellent music. And the lyrics aren't as creaky as in other Wildhorn shows - and the book doesn't have huge holes, as in other Wildhorn shows.

Les Mis is going to be around forever (well, maybe not forever) so I'd give B&C a try. 

yyys
#51London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/13/23 at 12:37pm

Hey Jordan - what were the highlights from your most recent trip?  Did you get Streetcar tickets for the extension?!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#52London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/13/23 at 12:46pm

Highlights were “Standing at the Sky’s Edge”, “Guys & Dolls” & “Shirley Valentine” - and OF COURSE “& Juliet” which I had to see once more before it closes London - mid March 2023 London - mid March 2023 London - mid March 2023 

But “Sky’s Edge” was so beautiful and moving and of everything I saw that one is still in my head. 

And YES!!! I woke up way too early because I mixed up times with the awful daylight savings time, to try and get tix for the “Streetcar” extension which I got with no problem so I can now rest easy knowing I won’t be missing what’s probably one of, if not the, most expensive West End shows ever. They’re really out here charging up to £300 for this. Lots of Beyoncé tickets are cheaper than that. Insane. 

Scripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
#53London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/13/23 at 6:33pm

Jordan Catalano said: "...But “Sky’s Edge” was so beautiful and moving and of everything I saw that one is still in my head."

I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

The one scathing review it received (in The Spectator) said far more about the reviewer than it did about the show.

Phillyguy
#54London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/13/23 at 8:18pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Highlights were “Standing at the Sky’s Edge”, “Guys & Dolls” & “Shirley Valentine” - and OF COURSE “& Juliet” which I had to see once more before it closes London - mid March 2023 London - mid March 2023 London - mid March 2023

But “Sky’s Edge” was so beautiful and moving and of everything I saw that one is still in my head.

And YES!!! I woke up way too early because I mixed up times with the awful daylight savings time, to try and get tix for the “Streetcar” extension which I got with no problem so I can now rest easy knowing I won’t be missing what’s probably one of, if not the, most expensive West End shows ever. They’re really out here charging up to £300 for this. Lots of Beyoncé tickets are cheaper than that. Insane.
"

What date are you going? I got tix to Streetcar next Monday and pretty excited. 

Jordan Catalano
#55London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/13/23 at 8:23pm

In May. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#56London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/13/23 at 11:20pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Highlights were “Standing at the Sky’s Edge”, “Guys & Dolls” & “Shirley Valentine” - and OF COURSE “& Juliet” which I had to see once more before it closes London - mid March 2023 London - mid March 2023 London - mid March 2023

"

I got a ticket for 300. Never paid that much a theater ticket in my life and I feel it is all because of Mescal, and I still have no clue who he is.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#57London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/14/23 at 10:49am

I just know of Mescal because he will be in the Merrily movie with Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein. I did have to google him when they made the Merrily recast announcement and noticed I watched him on zoom back in fall 2020 when he and Lucas Hedges performed "This is Our Youth" on zoom to benefit actor's fund!

He’s young but if his name can sell 300 pound tickets then good for him! Kudos! I'm hoping this revival will come to Broadway.

Updated On: 3/14/23 at 10:49 AM

Phillyguy
#58London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/22/23 at 8:15am

Saw Streetcar on Monday at the Phoenix. Overall, I was disappointed by the production. It very much feels like the Oklahoma revival with stark lighting, loud drums, minimal set and some interpretative dance that was over my head. I went mostly because of Mescal, but Patsy Ferran was really the main star, and she was incredible. 

This was my first West End show. Did you know they serve ice cream during intermission and use real glasses for wine? I was blown away!

Jordan Catalano
#59London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/22/23 at 8:27am

I’m not saying you could walk out of a West End show with a bag full of new champagne glasses, but if you go up and down a few aisles after any show now, you could have yourself a nice little collection. And ice cream is great but I just can’t justify £5 for that tiny little thing. 

As for “Streetcar” - modern dance???

yyys
#60London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/22/23 at 9:04am

I was also there on Monday. Actually was quite blown away by it, especially Paul Mescal's performance and his American accent. Patsy's great too but heard some Briltish accent during the 1st act. All 3 of the main actors were great. 

I entered to win in the front row lottery for 10 pounds but lost. Surprised that i had a great view with my 30 pound seat. Great theater!

Oh yeah I get my ice cream at Thai or Viet restaurants...not at the theater.

JasonC3
#61London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/22/23 at 9:46am

I remember buying ice cream from the usher walking up and down the aisle during interval.  I was 19 and it was my first trip abroad. I thought it was such civilized snacking as I don't think they sold anything that made noise when eaten.

Jordan Catalano
#62London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/22/23 at 9:55am

It would be great if it were only ice cream but now it’s just like here with the damn candy wrappers and food in plastic that people play with all throughout the show. During “Shirley Valentine” I turned around and said something like “if you touch that g*ddamn wrapper one more time I’m taking it away from you” and the woman was like 70. 

Phillyguy
#63London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/22/23 at 12:03pm

I was also surprised you can order bottles, so I heard pouring sounds during the performance. 

Also did you know you can order drinks to your seat using a QR code? So civilized. 

Phillyguy
#64London - mid March 2023
Posted: 3/22/23 at 12:07pm

yyys said: "I was also there on Monday. Actually was quite blown away by it, especially Paul Mescal's performance and his American accent. Patsy's great too but heard some Briltish accent during the 1st act. All 3 of the main actors were great.

I entered to win in the front row lottery for 10 pounds but lost. Surprised that i had a great view with my 30 pound seat. Great theater!

Oh yeah I get my ice cream at Thai or Viet restaurants...not at the theater.
"

I thought I heard British accents at the opening scene and remembered thinking to myself if this production was going use that instead, then suddenly it was all American. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#65London - mid March 2023
Posted: 4/26/23 at 8:29pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I’m not saying you could walk out of a West End show with a bag full of new champagne glasses, but if you go up and down a few aisles after any show now, you could have yourself a nice little collection. And ice cream is great but I just can’t justify £5 for that tiny little thing.

As for “Streetcar” - modern dance???
"

It was movement, not modern dance. Of course it went over the poster's head.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#66London - mid March 2023
Posted: 5/1/23 at 3:05pm

Once again jumping onto this thread. Somehow it's May, and my husband and I are going to the UK in three weeks!

Our current theater itinerary is:

• Groundhog Day (*cough*multipletimes*cough*)
  • Matilda
  • The Burnt City
  • The Secret Life of Bees
  • Guys and Dolls
  • The Ocean at the End of the Lane (tour in Cardiff)

We may add on 2:22: A Ghost Story. Other than theater, we plan on sightseeing in London, Bath, and Cardiff.

Two questions:

1. In retrospect, I'm realizing that almost all of these are "off" West End shows. Is the West End less centralized than Broadway? (Even for shows that are off-Broadway, I got used to only having to walk a few blocks)

2. Is the dress code at British theaters similar to the US, or is it more formal? 

Jordan Catalano
#67London - mid March 2023
Posted: 5/1/23 at 3:39pm

Dress code is like Broadway - really wear whatever you like. 

And those theatres are scattered throughout the city so you’ll almost certainly be taking the tube or a car to get around to them, unless you like really long walks. 

Heading over myself this week and very excited for a crap-ton of new shows. 

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#68London - mid March 2023
Posted: 5/1/23 at 4:10pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Dress code is like Broadway - really wear whatever you like.

And those theatres are scattered throughout the city so you’ll almost certainly be taking the tube or a car to get around to them, unless you like really long walks.

Heading over myself this week and very excited for a crap-ton of new shows.
"

Thanks Jordan!

I think it's just the selection of shows I picked that are so dispersed, but is there a central "West End" area, similar to Midtown for Broadway?

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#69London - mid March 2023
Posted: 5/1/23 at 4:14pm

Great lineup! Ocean at the End of the Lane was one of my favorite things I’ve seen in recent years. 

JasonC3
#70London - mid March 2023
Posted: 5/1/23 at 4:23pm

If you search online for 'London West End theatre map" you'll get a good visual representation of where the theatres are concentrated somewhat similar to NYC, as well as some of the spread.

Jordan Catalano
#71London - mid March 2023
Posted: 5/1/23 at 4:35pm

Yeah; there’s clusters of theaters near each other and those clusters are semi-close. But besides that everything else is really spread out. But that’s also a great way to get to see more of the city than you otherwise would! :)

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#72London - mid March 2023
Posted: 5/26/23 at 1:54pm

So after everything, my husband and I got Covid several days before we were supposed to leave for London.

Needless to say, I was devastated. BUT, thank God we bought travel insurance, which should cover most of our non-refundable costs. (On a contrary note, the Booking Protect that I bought for Matilda and The Burnt City tickets was a total waste of 10 pounds).

We're looking to re-book to early July. As they say in my beloved Groundhog Day, "if not tomorrow, perhaps the day after."

All of which is to say - anything I shouldn't miss in early to mid July? I'm eyeing the Crazy For You revival, but it would involve doing a two-show day right after we arrive.

theaterdarling
#73London - mid March 2023
Posted: 5/26/23 at 11:29pm

In none of the London recommendation threads (unless I missed it) do I see "Patriots" on anybody's list - or as a rec which shocks me. It is Peter Morgan, had a sold out run last summer at the Almeida (fastest in the theater's history) before tonight's West End opening, scored a few Olivier nominations with a win for Will Keen, mostly excellent reviews, fascinating subject matter and most important, Tom Hollander is in it! I was so blown away by Hollander in "Travesties" a few years ago that I almost made a trip to London just to see him in this - but am heavily betting Sonia Friedman brings it to New York next year.  Anybody seeing/seen it? Jordan, I thought for sure it would be something on your list. 

Jordan Catalano
#74London - mid March 2023
Posted: 5/26/23 at 11:38pm

Honestly, it’s something I completely forgot about but will definitely try to squeeze it in at some point, though. I’m pretty much back and forth non stop NYC-London through the end of the year, so I’m hopeful i can get to it. :)

Latest Posts