pixeltracker

Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall- Page 3

Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#50Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 12/26/23 at 8:23am

Barbra Streisand Talks Style

“I looked different, I dressed different,” the multi-hyphenate star said in her first interview on fashion

But there are no steamy boudoir scenes in “My Name Is Barbra,” Barbra Streisand’s exhaustively detailed doorstop of a memoir. Instead, the multi-hyphenate star — singer actress, producer, director, philanthropist — lavishes attention on her wardrobe, which she documents, page after page, down to each sparkly paillette.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/25/style/barbra-streisand-fashion-memoir.html?mwgrp=c-mbar&unlocked_article_code=1.I00.wuxl.lYkYI2h3YVMw&smid=url-share

BWAY Baby2
#51Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 12/26/23 at 12:20pm

Love this memoir- a very interesting read. 

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#52Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 4:12pm

The faux modesty and frequent quoting of glowing reviews is starting to grate. I don't dislike her for it, though. It is amusing.

Was all this stuff about the psychotic behavior of Sydney Chaplin already known? I didn't realize it was because of him she vowed never to return to Broadway, I always just thought it was the 8 shows a week for 18 months thing.

I did know that Arthur Laurents was nasty.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Jay Lerner-Z
#53Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 6:06pm

I'm sad to see my comment about Barbra's "mind transcends matter" philosophy deleted. It was kinda important, so I'll try again using nicer words.

Readers, please know that is NOT possible to control the universe with the power of your mind. This mentality is not advisable, and could lead to OCD. Readers already suffering with OCD, ignore Barbra. She is wrong.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#54Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 6:14pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "I'm sad to see my comment about Barbra's "mind transcends matter" philosophy deleted. It was kinda important, so I'll try again using nicer words.

Readers, please know that is NOT possible to control the universe with the power of your mind. This mentality is not advisable, and could lead to OCD. Readers already suffering with OCD, ignore Barbra. She is wrong.
"

She never once says she or anyone can control the universe with their mind. She is talking about the powers of manifestation and fully committing to achieving one's goals and the success that can follow. It is her story and her opinion. She is allowed to express any of her beliefs IN HER BOOK and it's not up to you to tell people to ignore it. We're adults and can decide for ourselves what rings true and what does not.

Jay Lerner-Z
#55Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 6:35pm

I'm not telling anyone to do anything, I am just advising. I am allowed to have my own reaction to a book I am reading and have paid for. If you disagree with my thoughts, that's fine. You're wrong, but fine. I'm familiar with "manifestation", which is silly, but Barbra's words go beyond that. The universe does not conspire to help people, or hurt them. Depending on how they utilize their mind. That is ridiculous.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#56Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 6:39pm

It’s a bit of new age pop psychology, who cares? This is not a self-help book or a scientific journal. Saying it will cause or worsen OCD is a major leap that belies severe misunderstanding of the condition. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

TotallyEffed
#57Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 6:47pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "I'm not telling anyone to do anything, I am just advising. I am allowed to have my own reaction to a book I am reading and have paid for. If you disagree with my thoughts, that's fine. You're wrong, but fine. I'm familiar with "manifestation", which is silly, but Barbra's words go beyond that. The universe does not conspire to help people, or hurt them. Depending on how they utilize their mind. That is ridiculous."

I mean, she’s an EGOT winner with a mall in the basement of her Malibu home so something worked in her favor. Maybe you should try manifesting something positive instead of warning strangers on the internet that reading Barbra Streisand’s memoir will give them OCD.

Jay Lerner-Z
#58Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 6:49pm

No, Kad. Don't write my point off assuming I know nothing of OCD.

Have you read her words? Maybe when I have time I will try to find some exact quotes. "Mind transcends matter", she tells us. What does that even mean? To tell us we can cause good things with our minds is the same thing as telling us we can cause bad things with our minds. Something OCD sufferers use cognitive therapy for to remind themselves that this is just not true.

Updated On: 1/8/24 at 06:49 PM

TotallyEffed
#59Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 6:54pm

I suspect you have a lot negative thoughts and I’d wager that they do cause bad things in your mind. Barbra, however, has nothing to do with your issues, so stop projecting. And I’d suggest anyone suffering from paranoia, OCD, or mental illness to seek professional help.

Anyway. Coffee ice cream, anyone?

Jay Lerner-Z
#60Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 6:59pm

TotallyEffed, I could not care less that she is an EGOT winner with a mall in her basement. Do you think all rich people are happy? She is in her 80s and still has Mommy and Daddy issues. Not a chapter has gone by so far where she has not been totally unfair on Mrs. Streisand, or beatified her late father into a saint. I am not judging her, this is just how it seems. I am only on Chapter 10, I am really hoping for some sort of redemption of Mom... she kept a scrapbook of all your reviews and newspaper articles, Barbra, she obviously loved you! You're even using them as research for this book.

TotallyEffed
#61Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 7:04pm

I never said a word about Barbra being happy or not. She is however, almost impossibly successful.

You, on the other hand, sound extremely unhappy. I wish you the best.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#62Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 7:06pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "No, Kad. Don't write my point off assuming I know nothing of OCD.

Have you read her words? Maybe when I have time I will try to find some exact quotes. "Mind transcends matter", she tells us. What does that even mean? To tell us we can cause good things with our minds is the same thing as telling us we can cause bad things with our minds. Something OCD sufferers use cognitive therapy for to remind themselves that this is just not true.
"

I'm writing off your point because your point is a baseless kneejerk reaction that seems to hinge on either ignorance about OCD or a truly wild misreading of a bit of extremely common pop psychology.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

QueenTwinnied
#63Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 7:13pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "I'm sad to see my comment about Barbra's "mind transcends matter" philosophy deleted. It was kinda important, so I'll try again using nicer words.

"

You need to calm down 

Jay Lerner-Z
#64Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 7:19pm

Your point only works if we define "success" as being rich and famous.

Thanks for your analysis. "Seek professional help." I recommend people with toenail issues go to a podiatrist, and back problems to go to a chiropractor. Profound stuff. I also advise people with sight problems not to look into the sun, but really I have no business doing that. Occasionally I use what health problems I perceive people as having to demean them and belittle their point, especially when one of my favorite divas is involved, but I try to hold back on that as I find it cruel.

I wish you well too.

TotallyEffed
#65Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 7:22pm

Your words about Barbra’s “mommy and daddy issues” were extremely cruel. If one of your parents died when you were fifteen months old and the other emotionally abused you I’m sure you’d have some parental wounds as well. Yes, probably well into your later years.

Your hypocrisy is kind of unbelievable.

Also, NO one is talking about OCD except for you. You brought that up. Randomly. Repeatedly. For some bizarre reason.

Jay Lerner-Z
#66Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 7:25pm

Kad... have you read the book? She really rams home the point. I turned a blind eye to the first mention, rolled my eyes at the second... by the fourth I started losing patience.

TotallyEffed
#67Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 7:28pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Kad... have you read the book? She really rams home the point. I turned a blind eye to the first mention, rolled my eyes at the second... by the fourth I started losing patience."

That’s exactly how it feels to read your posts.

Jay Lerner-Z
#68Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 7:36pm

Good one, TEffed, you can be proud of the upvotes you get for that.

I was not cruel to Barbra. Firstly, I doubt she reads this board, and sccondly, I said it without judgement. Only to contradict your point that because she has a mall in her basement she has no problems. I'm on Chapter 10, like I said, and I've seen nothing about emotional abuse. Maybe that is to come.

Islander_fan
#69Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/8/24 at 11:23pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Good one, TEffed, you can be proud of the upvotes you get for that.

I was not cruel to Barbra. Firstly, I doubt she reads this board, and sccondly, I said it without judgement. Only to contradict your point that because she has a mall in her basement she has no problems. I'm on Chapter 10, like I said, and I've seen nothing about emotional abuse. Maybe that is to come.
"

Of course he should be proud of the thumbs ups he gets. Totally Effed is well deserving of them. You, on the other hand Jay Z have a reputation of not only repeating things no one cares about, but doing it in a way that pisses people off so that they could care less (provided they cared in the first place, which I doubt) about whatever your issue of the week is. 

Penna2
#70Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/9/24 at 1:04am

Kad said: "It’s a bit of new age pop psychology, who cares? This is not a self-help book or a scientific journal. Saying it will cause or worsen OCD is a major leap that belies severe misunderstanding of the condition."

Actually, it is Buddhism, so not pop psychology. I haven't read the book and have no intention to do so, however, there is a concept called esho funi in Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism that means the oneness of self and environment. By changing yourself, you can change your environment. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#71Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/10/24 at 12:28pm

I am Barbra's junior by but a few years.  We were "introduced" in the early 1960's, perhaps by her appearance on the "Garry Moore Show".  I was an immediate fan, and have never waivered in my appreciation for her both as a performer and as a person.  Looking forward to reading her memoir.

A bit of personal trivia.  I first saw the film "Funny Girl" in Paris (1968, perhaps).  It was presented with French subtitles.  I remember clearly how enthusiastic the audience was.  It remains my favorite movie musical.

Brava, Barbra!

Non sibi sed patriae

Jay Lerner-Z
#72Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/10/24 at 12:53pm

Really? She stresses more than once how much she values fact and truth, and says it is the whole reason she wrote the book.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#73Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/10/24 at 1:02pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "Really? She stresses more than once how much she values fact and truth, and says it is the whole reason she wrote the book."

Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall

Jay Lerner-Z
#74Streisand Will Release First Memoir this Fall
Posted: 1/10/24 at 1:16pm

Your comment has been deleted, BrodyFosse, the one I was responding to. Oh, well. Did I miss the joke?

This book seems to be beyond reproach.