pixeltracker

Sondheim and Ives' HERE WE ARE at The Shed- Page 4

Sondheim and Ives' HERE WE ARE at The Shed

binau Profile Photo
binau
#75Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 4/1/23 at 10:58am

everythingtaboo said: "I'm really just excited to see who they'll cast when a majority of the roles are asking for 40s and 50s and older."

Same. So much talent to choose from. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
Robbie516
TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#78Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 4/1/23 at 4:21pm

Robbie516 said: "Where was character info found?"

The audition notice.

Robbie516
JasonC3
#80Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 4/1/23 at 5:02pm

Robbie516 said: "Anyone have a link for that?"

Listing in post #45.

Robbie516
#81Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 4/15/23 at 2:26pm

Has anyone heard any update on this regarding casting? 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#82Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 4/15/23 at 2:30pm

Or exact dates??

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#83Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 4/15/23 at 2:47pm

Nothing yet. I joined at a higher level in order to hear about/get tix early and haven’t heard anything. 

Jesse St. James Profile Photo
Jesse St. James
#84Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 4/26/23 at 8:01pm

I was reading some recent interviews that Patti LuPone did where she mentioned being offered something that she's interested in doing and that she want's to work off-broadway specifically mentioning The Shed. I wonder if the show she's referring to is Here We Are. 

I’ve been offered something and there’s something I’m interested in doing, but I said to the producer, “Don’t do this on Broadway. I want to work on East Fourth Street. I don’t want to work on Broadway anymore.” 

if I go back on the stage, I want it to be much more interesting—like The Shed or New York Theatre Workshop

Updated On: 4/26/23 at 08:01 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#85Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 4/26/23 at 9:31pm

Jesse St. James said: "I was reading some recent interviews that Patti LuPone did where she mentioned being offered something that she's interested in doing and that she want's to work off-broadway specifically mentioning The Shed. I wonder if the show she's referring to is Here We Are.

I’ve been offered something and there’s something I’m interested in doing, but I said to the producer, “Don’t do this on Broadway. I want to work on East Fourth Street. I don’t want to work on Broadway anymore.”

ifI go back on the stage, I want it to be much more interesting—like The Shed or New York Theatre Workshop
"

The role Claudia is Patti! Imagine ...Patti, Bernadette and Nathan?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Jesse St. James
#86Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 4/26/23 at 11:27pm

too bad Bernadette will be in the west end during its run

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#87Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 4/27/23 at 12:11am

Laughing at Patti saying she doesn't "want" to work on Broadway anymore... babe you gave up your union card. Even if you did want to, you can'.t

Robbie516
#88Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 8:40pm

I can confirm that Nathan Lane is not doing this production

Listener
#89Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:27pm

Interesting. I don't see why he'd skip it.

So...Patti would have to prostrate herself in order to get to do something actually ON Broadway now, because of her handing in her card?

Does she have to start at the bottom now, like earn her way back into having a card? The whole situation is so weird...

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#90Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 11:42pm

No and no. Sadly actors equity isn’t this big strong union. Literally any of you could join the union if you pay your initiation fee. 

Jesse St. James
#91Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 5/3/23 at 12:11am

Any word on casting or when tickets will go on sale? 

Voter
#92Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 5/3/23 at 12:25am

Since Joe Mantello is working on Grey House until opening night (May 30), we will probably have an update on Here We Are late May or early June.

Rehearsals would begin late June or July, right? 

Jesse St. James
#93Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 5/3/23 at 12:41am

Voter said: "Since Joe Mantello is working on Grey House until opening night (May 30), we will probably have an update on Here We Are late May or early June.

Rehearsals would begin late June or July, right?
"

Good to know. anyone heard any casting rumors since Nathan Lane is apparently not doing it? Bernadette is obviously not able to. Maybe Patti LuPone since she expressed interest in doing something off-broadway.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#94Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 5/3/23 at 1:48am

Interesting that neither Bernadette nor Lane are apparently attached? I wonder if it’s a director choice. Idk. It’s just hard for me to believe that these two wouldn’t want to be involved, unless perhaps there is something ‘wrong’ or unfinished in the material that would mean this show is clearly something that will never go beyond a short off Broadway run. And perhaps Bernadette was offered both but chose to go with the higher paying, solid west end gig than a ‘road show 2.0’ venture (although Bernadette ended up having no problem being a replacement in her late career, I do notice she doesn’t seem to like working on cheap off Broadway shows. I’m sure she’s had many offers over the years). 

Updated On: 5/3/23 at 01:48 AM

dan94
#95Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 5/3/23 at 9:59am

Thinking back to Sondheim playing the score for CamMac over the phone asking his opinion - it strikes me as odd. It makes me think he was possibly insecure and wanted affirmation before putting so much on the line creating a final show. And it would also make sense that he asked Bernadette and Nathan to be in the room so that he had people he trusted to judge his work.

It's possible they were there not because they were right for either roles they were playing, but they were there as a litmus test, sounding board, and security blanket while he made a final decision to continue or drop the show as he had a few times. (Wasn't Bernadette the Mother in that workshop of Bounce/Road Show in 2006? She'd never have been cast in that role at that point in time in a million years and probably would have served a similar purpose there.)

It's also possible both realized they aren't up to doing the roles 8 times a week. Nathan doesn't do musicals anymore (and outright implied recently he's done with Broadway, and presumably The Shed). Bernadette took a congenial gig that can be molded to her current strengths.

There are a lot of unknowns. Whatever the outcome of this show, it is certain to be a moving night hearing new Sondheim music for a final time.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#96Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 5/3/23 at 10:09am

dan94 said: "Thinking back to Sondheim playing the score for CamMac over the phone asking his opinion - it strikes me as odd. It makes me think he was possibly insecure and wanted affirmation before putting so much on the line creating a final show.""

Personally, I never have and never will believe that Sondheim played the score for Cameron Mackintosh over the phone. It seems too much like a lie a child makes up to feel included.

Random person: "I went to Disneyland this summer". 

Cameron: "Yeah, well...I went to the moon this summer"

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Robbie516
#97Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 5/3/23 at 12:06pm

There most likely will be a name in this though…just the importance of the show alone

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#98Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 5/3/23 at 12:23pm

Robbie516 said: "There most likely will be a name in this though…just the importance of the show alone"

and it's my deepest wish that the name (or one of them anyway) is Victor Garber

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup
Updated On: 5/3/23 at 12:23 PM

BETTY22
#99Sondheim's Final Musical HERE WE ARE will premiere at The Shed this fall (No, really!)
Posted: 5/3/23 at 12:24pm

I cannot wait. 

Yes, I love a revival but there is nothing like an original new musical....with NEW SONGS