pixeltracker

Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?

Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?

SondheimTesori
#1Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?
Posted: 3/19/23 at 9:58pm

I've been so moved by all the posts and articles highlighting Carolee's banner year being in two shows (her 15th and 16th broadways shows)!

While both productions seem to have mixed reviews at best (we'll see how critics are with BC), I was wondering if anyone thought she could potentially finally get her Tony for Bad Cinderella? I know this might seem a bleak way to reward a veteran given the buzz around the show, but she seems to be getting show-stopping buzz thus far!  It would certainly be a career win, but I don't know- there seems to be a lot of industry and media goodwill for her this year- and I wonder if its a possibility. 

We just saw Angela Bassett and Jamie Lee Curtis get a lot of recognition this year in the film world for roles many considered to be a small footnote in their overall body of work. Anyway, I know we have a lot of great contenders in that category but god I really want her to have a Tony, and I wonder if it's actually possible! Parade being revived also seems like a good reminder to people of how good she was in the original. 

Feel free to laugh me out of town, but if everyone disagrees- perhaps we can just turn this into a Carolee Carmello Appreciation Thread. 

Updated On: 3/19/23 at 09:58 PM

JSquared2
#2Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?
Posted: 3/19/23 at 10:02pm

Sorry, we all love Carolee — but the odds of Beanie Feldstein receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award are better. 

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#3Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?
Posted: 3/19/23 at 10:21pm

While I do think she has a VERY good chance of getting a nomination (for Bad Cinderella, not 1776), like many of the other times she has been nominated there is much to much competition for her to get to the top of the pile and win. It's a toss up between Bonnie and Betsy.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#4Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?
Posted: 3/19/23 at 10:23pm

As of now, I have her getting nominated for Best Featured Actress in a Musical as the lone representation for Bad Cinderella. If she wants to win a Tony, she needs to get cast in more shows that don't end up flopping with the nominators (as was the case with Lestat and Scandalous).

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?
Posted: 3/19/23 at 11:04pm

The challenge of her even landing a nomination is that she is up against a costar with a role of similar weight. I don't really see both getting nominated unless the nominators go all out for Bad Cinderella...two Featured Actress noms for Kimberly or Woods seem more likely.

It seems pretty close between Bonnie and NaTasha right now.

Primary contenders include the following ladies:

- KA – Bonnie Milligan / Alli Mauzey
- SLIH – Natasha Yvette Williams
- Woods – Julia Lester / Phillipa Soo
- Cinderella – Carolee Carmello / Grace McLane
- Sweeney – Ruthie Ann Miles / Maria Bilbao
- & Juliet – Betsy Wolfe / Melanie Labarrie
- Almost Famous – Solea Pfeiffer? (weirder things have happened)
- Shucked – Haven't seen it, but Alex Newell is the big question here. They go by all pronouns so could conceivably choose Featured Actress (the character uses she/her pronouns, right?) or Featured Actor.
- Anyone from Dancin or NYNY?

Ricey2
#6Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?
Posted: 3/19/23 at 11:43pm

I wish, but no. Carolee is a star and deserves a Tony, but I don’t think this is her year yet again. Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?

dan94
#7Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?
Posted: 3/19/23 at 11:59pm

If she somehow was nominated jointly for both 1776 and Bad Cinderella in one slot, I think she might have a shot at winning. But that isn't reality. She was the best part of 1776 but that's long in the past. She's also the best part of Bad Cinderella but I can't imagine anyone wanting to vote for Bad Cinderella if she does get nominated.

I wouldn't rule out Skinner if she has a decent part in NY NY. I think it's just too crowded and we will only see 1 nominee per show/per category.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#8Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?
Posted: 3/20/23 at 7:20am

I think at this point she will be lucky to be the show's sole nominee, and I don't even think that's likely in all honesty. This featured actress category is jam packed, and while I love Carmello, her role, and everything else surrounding her in Bad Cinderella, is just not good enough to warrant any kind of awards attention in my opinion.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

mememe
#9Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?
Posted: 3/20/23 at 11:08am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "As of now, I have her getting nominated for Best Featured Actress in a Musical as the lone representation for Bad Cinderella. If she wants to win a Tony, she needs to get cast in more shows that don't end up flopping with the nominators (as was the case with Lestat and Scandalous)."

Write her that, I’m sure she’ll find it enormously helpful 

That was like the stage equivalent of when someone who knows nothing about the industry, says to an actor ‘You know what you should do? You should you think about getting on a TV show and then going to Hollywood’ when asking about whether they are working or not

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#10Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?
Posted: 3/20/23 at 11:26am

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "As of now, I have her getting nominated for Best Featured Actress in a Musical as the lone representation for Bad Cinderella. If she wants to win a Tony, she needs to get cast in more shows that don't end up flopping with the nominators (as was the case with Lestat and Scandalous)."

This comment is ridiculous. Carolee is an immensely respected artist in this industry. She has created a successful career and life for herself by mostly working as a theater actress. This is a feat few can achieve. No actor knows whether a show will become a hit with audiences or critics. Sometimes amazing shows fail financially, sometimes mediocre material becomes the sell-out hit of these season. "If she wants to win a Tony..." oh is she out there demanding one? Has she ever stated that this is her number one career goal? It sounds like you've just got it all figure out for her! Why don't you give her a call since you obviously know what projects she should pick and which ones she should turn down. Good grief.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#11Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?
Posted: 3/20/23 at 11:41am

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Jeffrey Karasarides said: "As of now, I have her getting nominated for Best Featured Actress in a Musical as the lone representation for Bad Cinderella. If she wants to win a Tony, she needs to get cast in more shows that don't end up flopping with the nominators (as was the case with Lestat and Scandalous)."

This comment is ridiculous. Carolee is an immensely respected artist in this industry. She has created a successful career and life for herself by mostly working as a theater actress. This is a feat few can achieve. No actor knows whether a show will become a hit with audiences or critics. Sometimes amazing shows fail financially, sometimes mediocre material becomes the sell-out hit of these season. "If she wants to win a Tony..." oh is she out there demanding one? Has she ever stated that this is her number one career goal? It sounds like you've just got it all figure out for her! Why don't you give her a call since you obviously know what projects she should pick and which ones she should turn down. Good grief.
"

First of all, I was only pointing out that most of her Tony nominations so far have been shows that weren't well liked by the industry. I'm well aware that no one knows how they're going to land with critics or audiences until it's up on stage. Second of all, I'm also well aware that no one ever sets out to work in show business just to win awards. My main intention with my comment was to make a point. Carolee just needs better luck by getting a great part in a production that's better respected by the industry.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#12Is this Carolee Carmello's Year at the Tonys?
Posted: 3/20/23 at 11:57am

Ricey2 said: "Carolee is a star"

Let's not over-inflate anyone's stature here. She has originated one (1) lead role on Broadway since 1999, and she has been almost exclusively in shows that did poorly at the box office. I adore her as a performer but she's not a star. She's working character actress who is undoubtably enjoying the rarity of two different Production Contracts in one season after 6+ years away from Bway!

Videos