pixeltracker

Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall- Page 2

Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#25Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 9/4/23 at 9:29pm

Ke3 said: "That author is incredibly wrong about the history of witches and antisemitism. Like ridiculously wrong. But it's The Nerdist so."

After a bit of web surfing, I have to admit that you are right. There is A LOT of connection between antisemitism and the mythology and imagery of witches throughout history. I stand corrected.

AEA AGMA SM
#26Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 9/4/23 at 9:37pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "I'm not trying to overstate it, and maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought there was some talk about it when the Robert Zemeckis movie came out. I remember Anne Hathaway having to apologize over something.”

If I recall correctly, the apologies/controversy over the Zemeckis remake had to do with the design of their hands and feet, as they chose to go with lizard-like features that had only three fingers and toes. It was deemed as being insensitive to those afflicted with ectrodactyly, a condition where children are born with fused fingers or toes that resemble claws. Grady Stiles, who performed under the name Lobster Boy, is one of the more recent and infamous examples of someone born with this condition.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#27Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 9/5/23 at 10:16am

Thank you, AEA.

Lessons I've learned here - google first, and pick better paragraphs to copy and paste.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#28Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 10/17/23 at 9:22am

First song from Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES with the National Theatre cast (will be available to stream Nov 3)

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#29Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 10/17/23 at 4:05pm

Kind of a stylistic departure for Malloy, and a bop. Hope the witches' material has some real Dahl teeth. 

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#30Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 10/17/23 at 4:26pm

Wow, adorable! Curious about it's place in the story. Thanks for sharing! 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#31Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 10/17/23 at 4:41pm

I'm guessing they're mice talking up the book's protagonist boy (name escapes me) who gets turned into a mouse well into the story. 

Jay Lerner-Z
#32Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 10/17/23 at 4:46pm

I like some of the orchestrations, but overall I find that song to be quite dull.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

DaveyG
#33Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 10/17/23 at 5:25pm

Give me Matilda over that any day.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#34Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 10/17/23 at 5:57pm

Very reminiscent of “when I grow up,” but doesn’t have the same effect. I’m still a fan of it, so far. Curious what the rest of the score will sound like. Dave Malloy is easily one of my favorite composers/lyricists. Something I didn’t know is that he has a co-lyricist on this; So, we’re definitely not going to be getting the same style music as his previous solo works.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#35Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 10/17/23 at 6:02pm

Some very, very pretty things happening in that music. The lyrics are kind of odd (very reminiscent of both Naughty and When I Grow Up), but perhaps it'll hang together better in context. It seems like this might come towards the end, as the (unnamed) protagonist comes to terms with the fact that, as a mouse-human hybrid, he likely won't outlive his grandmother.

Jay Lerner-Z
#36Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 10/17/23 at 6:12pm

The boy's name will be Luke in the musical. Same as the 1990 movie.

SisterGeorge
#37Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 10/17/23 at 6:15pm

Jay Lerner-Z said: "I like some of the orchestrations, but overall I find that song to be quite dull."

If I hadn't already bought tickets, I'm pretty sure this clip would have kept me from doing so, but it's just two minutes out of context so I'll just hang on to how much I've loved Malloy's other scores. Speaking of, whatever happened to Moby Dick?

Sister George

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#38Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 10/17/23 at 6:16pm

There’s a “16” printed next to the song in the sheet music so I’m guessing it comes late in the show if that’s the song number. 

yyys
#40Roald Dahl’s THE WITCHES musical by Malloy & Kirkwood to premiere this fall
Posted: 11/7/23 at 8:37pm

First two previews canceled.