pixeltracker

Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part

Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part

James Edwards2
#1Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 6:22pm

Has it been discussed why, in today's world, Sean Hayes has not been called out for developing a play for himself where he plays a Jewish man?  Oscar Levant was the child of Russian Jewish immigrants.  This was certainly a large part of Levant's character.  Being Jewish in this case does not simply refer to his born religion, but instead to his DNA.  He was in his 30s during the Holocaust.  Many of his mannerisms, which Mr. Hayes is doing his best to mimic, could be said to be mannerisms associated with that of a Jewish man.  Hayes would certainly NOT be allowed to do this with any other ethnicity.  Would it be okay if Hayes were playing a Mexican man?  Additionally, I'm not sure if the playwright or the director are Jewish.  But even if they were, this still feels like a bit of Jew-Face going on here.  Why not cast a Jewish man to play this role?  The original playwright, David Adjmi, who had the idea for this play is Jewish but he is no longer involved.  I'm wondering why this is not being discussed anywhere.  It feels like quite the double-standard.

JSquared2
#2Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 6:30pm

Maybe it should also "be discussed" what your motives are for choosing to stir up sh*t at precisely the moment the play is opening tonight?  Very Rudin-esque of you...

James Edwards2
#3Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 6:39pm

It was upon seeing the video released today where Mr. Hayes is clearly approximating some Jewish mannerisms that it made me think to look up more about Oscar Levant.  I wrote here because it's surprising that I've seen no mention of this given the climate.  But I suppose it just proves that Jews are still not considered a group people feel they need to protect.  I can assure you I'm not "choosing to stir up sh*t" and I'm certain no reviewer is reading these message boards anyway.  Considering all the topics discussed here it seemed like it might be possible to engage in a civil discourse about this topic.  It is my opinion that actors should be able to play whatever role they can pull off.  However, that does not seem to be the view of the Broadway community, except for when it comes to Jewish characters.  Then anyone can play them.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#4Nah
Posted: 4/24/23 at 7:04pm

Yeah no. And congratulations to Sean Hayes for his transcendent, brilliant performance. Bravo! 

Updated On: 4/26/23 at 07:04 PM

James Edwards2
#5Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 7:09pm

Oh okay,  So you'd be okay with him playing a man of Asian descent or Latin or Black?  If you would, then I can see why you'd have no issue here either.  But if you wouldn't, then I think we can all just agree you're a hypocrite.

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#6Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 7:12pm

Sutton Ross said: "Yeah no. And congratulations to Sean Hayes for his transcendent, brilliant performance. Bravo!"

I agree. He's perfect!

Sutton Ross
#7Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 7:23pm

Absolutely perfect!

James Edwards2
#8Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 7:27pm

May I ask politely if you're Jewish?  Have you watched any footage of Oscar Levant or seen any photos of him?  He is a man with very semitic features, unlike Mr. Hayes.  Perhaps it's worth taking a look at the news regarding the rise of anti-semitism before you weigh in on how perfect someone is to play a character with whom they share literally no genetic or cultural history with. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#9Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 7:38pm

James Edwards2 said: "May I ask politely if you're Jewish? Have you watched any footage of Oscar Levant or seen any photos of him? He is a man with very semitic features, unlike Mr. Hayes. Perhaps it's worth taking a look at the news regarding the rise of anti-semitism before you weigh in on how perfect someone is to play a character with whom they share literally no genetic or cultural history with."

Oscar Levant passed away more than half a century ago.  To my limited knowledge, no one (Jewish or not) has brought his story to Broadway until now.  Sean Hayes didn't snatch the opportunity away from Jewish men to do so.  I would rather see a play about the brilliant Oscar Levant starring someone who is not himself Jewish, than to have no such play at all.  Good luck to all those involved with this production.

Non sibi sed patriae
Updated On: 4/24/23 at 07:38 PM

Sutton Ross
#10Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 7:43pm

Good luck to all involved, indeed.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#11Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 7:45pm

As a Jewish man, I think the OP has a legitimate point, regardless of how expertly Sean Hayes acquits himself onstage. Look, this question isn’t new. I remember the vociferous complaints about Alfred Molina’s performance as Tevye back in the aughts, probably because I myself was one of the complainers. Jewish erasure has been the rule in Hollywood filmdom for eons. It’s nice to think that the NY theater world has been much more aware and nuanced to Jewish representation onstage. 

One of the glories of the current revival of PARADE is the genuine Jewishness inherent in the performances of Ben Platt and Michaela Diamond  as Leo and Lucille Frank.

Hayes is certainly allowed to mount a production starring himself as a famously Jewish man. We are just as allowed to push back when appropriate. 

Updated On: 4/24/23 at 07:45 PM

James Edwards2
#12Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 7:47pm

But wouldn't it be something if he just produced this and raised up the voice of a semitic actor in a lead role?  This play could have existed on Broadway with a Jewish man as the lead.  And while I don't agree with this, many believe that it would have been better because it would have been authentic.  Imagine if they cast a straight white man in Kinky Boots instead of Billy Porter.  You can't, because it never would have happened.

James Edwards2
#13Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 7:49pm

Someone in a Tree2 said: "As a Jewish man, I think the OP has a legitimate point, regardless of how expertly Sean Hayes acquits himself onstage. Look, this question isn’t new. I remember the vociferous complaints about Alfred Molina’s performance as Tevye back in the aughts, probably because I myself was one of the complainers. Jewish erasure has been the rule in Hollywood filmdom for eons. It’s nice to think that the NY theater world has been much more aware and nuanced to Jewish representation onstage.

One of the glories of the current revival of PARADE is the genuine Jewishness inherent in the performances of Ben Platt and Michaela Diamond as Leo and Lucille Frank.

Hayes is certainly allowed to mount a production starring himself as a famously Jewish man. We are just as allowed to push back when appropriate.
"

You said this far more eloquently than I could.  Thank you.  

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#14Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 7:58pm

Oh, okay. It took me a minute, but I see your game, Mr. "anti-wokeness" - and frankly, it's become a bore.  

James Edwards2
#15Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 8:06pm

Impeach2017 said: "Oh, okay. It took me a minute, but I see your game, Mr. "anti-wokeness" - and frankly, it's become a bore."

Who is this directed towards?  If it's directed at me, you're missing my point.  "Hayes is certainly allowed to mount a production starring himself as a famously Jewish man. We are just as allowed to push back when appropriate."  And I'm pushing back on this.  Just as people are pushing back on Bradley Cooper playing Leonard Bernstein.  

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#16Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 8:08pm

James Edwards2 said: "Oh okay, So you'd be okay with him playing a man of Asian descent or Latin or Black? If you would, then I can see why you'd have no issue here either. But if you wouldn't, then I think we can all just agree you're a hypocrite."

Sutton has been... well I'll leave out my French... about this specific topic for a while now. They just have a certain way they type when something is up for debate and they fall strongly on one side. 

As far as the answer to your question, the general consensus has been a "resounding" "ehhh... idk"

Personally, I think it really comes down to the specific show and role and I can't quite explain where I get my line from. I think Fanny Brice and the Franks in Parade should always be played by Jews, but I don't really care about the residents of Anatevka.

As far as this show, I haven't seen it yet, but I haven't heard anyone mention anything about the character being Jewish, so I am assuming that it's not something is discussed at all in the play. If it's not a part of the play and it's just mannerisms and an accent, then I don't think it's such a big deal. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#17Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 8:54pm

James Edwards2 said: "Has it been discussed why, in today's world, Sean Hayes has not been called out for developing a play for himself where he plays a Jewish man? Oscar Levant was the child of Russian Jewish immigrants. This was certainly a large part of Levant's character. Being Jewish in this case does not simply refer to his born religion, but instead to his DNA. He was in his 30s during the Holocaust. Many of his mannerisms, which Mr. Hayes is doing his best to mimic, could be said to be mannerisms associated with that of a Jewish man. Hayes would certainly NOT be allowed to do this with any other ethnicity. Would it be okay if Hayes were playing a Mexican man? Additionally, I'm not sure if the playwright or the director are Jewish. But even if they were, this still feels like a bit of Jew-Face going on here. Why not cast a Jewish man to play this role? The original playwright, David Adjmi, who had the idea for this play is Jewish but he is no longer involved. I'm wondering why this is not being discussed anywhere. It feels like quite the double-standard."

Oh dear Lord. Let it go. They are actors. ACTORS. I guess next you want to replace the entire cast of the current revival of Sweeney Todd.  Just to name one.

The man is giving an OUTSTANDING performance. 

Just give the world Love.

James Edwards2
#18Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 9:05pm

uncageg said: "James Edwards2 said: "Has it been discussed why, in today's world, Sean Hayes has not been called out for developing a play for himself where he plays a Jewish man? Oscar Levant was the child of Russian Jewish immigrants. This was certainly a large part of Levant's character. Being Jewish in this case does not simply refer to his born religion, but instead to his DNA. He was in his 30s during the Holocaust. Many of his mannerisms, which Mr. Hayes is doing his best to mimic, could be said to be mannerisms associated with that of a Jewish man. Hayes would certainly NOT be allowed to do this with any other ethnicity. Would it be okay if Hayes were playing a Mexican man? Additionally, I'm not sure if the playwright or the director are Jewish. But even if they were, this still feels like a bit of Jew-Face going on here. Why not cast a Jewish man to play this role? The original playwright, David Adjmi, who had the idea for this play is Jewish but he is no longer involved. I'm wondering why this is not being discussed anywhere. It feels like quite the double-standard."

Oh dear Lord. Let it go. They are actors. ACTORS. I guess next you want to replace the entire cast of the current revival of Sweeney Todd. Just to name one.

"

I would normally agree with you, but precedents have now been set for this sort of thing.  They just generally don't apply to Jewish people which is why I raised the question.  Sarah Silverman has spoken out about this topic at length.  And from what I saw in the video, Mr. Hayes appeared a little phony and uneven to me in the role.  I felt like we were watching Hayes play dress up.  I'm sure it's much more convincing in a large theater.  But it seemed like Hayes was putting on the affectations of a Jewish man instead of actually embodying the character.  I'll reserve judgment for when I see it live and I hope I am fully convinced.  

Sutton Ross
#19Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 9:12pm

You haven't even seen it? Lolz.

No opinion on the specifics then. Like, zero.

And thank you jkCohen, I'm a woman with a strong opinion and you'll never question what that is. I doubt you'd ever describe a man the way you described me. No French necessary Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#20Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 9:38pm

James Edwards2 said: "uncageg said: "James Edwards2 said: "Has it been discussed why, in today's world, Sean Hayes has not been called out for developing a play for himself where he plays a Jewish man? Oscar Levant was the child of Russian Jewish immigrants. This was certainly a large part of Levant's character. Being Jewish in this case does not simply refer to his born religion, but instead to his DNA. He was in his 30s during the Holocaust. Many of his mannerisms, which Mr. Hayes is doing his best to mimic, could be said to be mannerisms associated with that of a Jewish man. Hayes would certainly NOT be allowed to do this with any other ethnicity. Would it be okay if Hayes were playing a Mexican man? Additionally, I'm not sure if the playwright or the director are Jewish. But even if they were, this still feels like a bit of Jew-Face going on here. Why not cast a Jewish man to play this role? The original playwright, David Adjmi, who had the idea for this play is Jewish but he is no longer involved. I'm wondering why this is not being discussed anywhere. It feels like quite the double-standard."

Oh dear Lord. Let it go. They are actors. ACTORS. I guess next you want to replace the entire cast of the current revival of Sweeney Todd. Just to name one.

"

I would normally agree with you, but precedents have now been set for this sort of thing. They just generally don't apply to Jewish people which is why I raised the question. Sarah Silverman has spoken out about this topic at length. And from what I saw in the video, Mr. Hayes appeared a little phony and uneven to me in the role. I felt like we were watching Hayes play dress up. I'm sure it's much more convincing in a large theater. But it seemed like Hayes was putting on the affectations of a Jewish man instead of actually embodying the character. I'll reserve judgment for when I see it live and I hope I am fully convinced.
"

Wait? Did you say you will "reserve judgement" for when you see it live? All of this and you have NOT seen the entire performance yet? Read your comments. You have already judged his performance.

Just give the world Love.

James Edwards2
#21Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 9:44pm

uncageg said: "James Edwards2 said: "uncageg said: "James Edwards2 said: "Has it been discussed why, in today's world, Sean Hayes has not been called out for developing a play for himself where he plays a Jewish man? Oscar Levant was the child of Russian Jewish immigrants. This was certainly a large part of Levant's character. Being Jewish in this case does not simply refer to his born religion, but instead to his DNA. He was in his 30s during the Holocaust. Many of his mannerisms, which Mr. Hayes is doing his best to mimic, could be said to be mannerisms associated with that of a Jewish man. Hayes would certainly NOT be allowed to do this with any other ethnicity. Would it be okay if Hayes were playing a Mexican man? Additionally, I'm not sure if the playwright or the director are Jewish. But even if they were, this still feels like a bit of Jew-Face going on here. Why not cast a Jewish man to play this role? The original playwright, David Adjmi, who had the idea for this play is Jewish but he is no longer involved. I'm wondering why this is not being discussed anywhere. It feels like quite the double-standard."

"

I would normally agree with you, but precedents have now been set for this sort of thing. They just generally don't apply to Jewish people which is why I raised the question. Sarah Silverman has spoken out about this topic at length. And from what I saw in the video, Mr. Hayes appeared a little phony and uneven to me in the role. I felt like we were watching Hayes play dress up. I'm sure it's much more convincing in a large theater. But it seemed like Hayes was putting on the affectations of a Jewish man instead of actually embodying the character. I'll reserve judgment for when I see it live and I hope I am fully convinced.
"

Wait? Did you say you will "reserve judgement" for when you see it live? All of this and you have NOT seen the entire performance yet? Read your comments. You have already judged his performance.

"

I only articulated why I started to wonder if maybe a Jewish actor in the role could have inhabited it in a more realistic, compelling way.  I said I might be wrong and will have to see the performance live.  The NY Times review seems to be in line with what I witnessed in the video - "The work is startling, but the performance is less an inhabitation of character than a nonstop loop of perfectly rendered facial tics, trembling hands and compulsive gestures. His speech is pressured, his mood explosive, his target anything that crosses his path — including himself. Past this stockade of behavior, little of an inner life can get out."  This thread was not about his performance anyway.  It was about the rules of our society and when someone can and can't play a role.  I was speaking about what I saw since a few of you seem to think his performance is perfection.  Maybe it's not?

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#22Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 9:46pm

Just wait for the OUTRAGE when the OP learns that Levant, a straight man, is being played by Hayes, a gay man.

Non sibi sed patriae

James Edwards2
#23Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 9:59pm

Highland Guy said: "Just wait for theOUTRAGEwhen the OP learns that Levant, a straight man, is being played by Hayes, a gay man."

I raised a fair question: why does nobody seem to care that a non-Jewish person is playing a well-known Jewish figure when we care so much about all other ethnicities being perfectly portrayed?  I specially said I don't  necessarily have an issue with it.  

Sexuality exists on a spectrum.  We have no idea what Oscar Levant's exact sexuality was, nor should we necessarily know what Mr. Hayes's sexuality is unless he wants us to.  And the general consensus seems to be that gay man can play a straight role, but it would be bad form for a straight man to take a gay role since there have been so many fewer opportunities for gay actors.  Just as there have been so many fewer opportunities for actors with semitic features.  This would be an example of a role where the opportunity is being taken away from someone who looks Jewish.  And given Levant's physical features, one could argue that the casting of a very "white" Hayes is whitewashing.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#24Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 10:00pm

I haven't seen the play.  I know Levant from.some of his films.  Wikipedia says he was born in Pittsburgh and moved to NY when he was 16.

I wonder if what the OP calls a Jewish accent & mannerisms, might actually be a stereotypical New York accent?  Sort of like Seinfeld.  The characters are all Jewish New Yorkers, but when I travel to New York pretty much everyone sounds like they're from an episode of Seinfeld no matter their race or religion.  Whenever I come back from a trip to NYC and people who have never been ask what it was like, I always it is like walking into an episode of Seinfeld.  The show is spot on about how people in NYC talk and behave.  Probably for New Yorkers the show doesn't even seem like a comedy, but a documentary.

James Edwards2
#25Sean Hayes / Oscar Levant - The Jewish Part
Posted: 4/24/23 at 10:16pm

inception said: "I haven't seen the play. I know Levant from.some of his films. Wikipedia says he was born in Pittsburgh and moved to NY when he was 16.

I wonder if what the OP calls a Jewish accent & mannerisms, might actually be a stereotypical New York accent? Sort of like Seinfeld. The characters are all Jewish New Yorkers, but when I travel to New York pretty much everyone sounds like they're from an episode of Seinfeld no matter their race or religion. Whenever I come back from a trip to NYC and people who have never been ask what it was like, I always it is like walking into an episode of Seinfeld. The show is spot on about how people in NYC talk and behave. Probably for New Yorkers the show doesn't even seem like a comedy, but a documentary.
"

Yes, I can see why you might say that, but that's like going to the south and saying everyone there sounds the same and has the same mannerisms.  If you look more closely you will find a wide range of accents and mannerisms in the south that might not be apparent at first glance.  But really I am talking about the fact that Hayes does not have semitic features. He also does not have Asian features and we would not cast him in an Asian role.  We did this once with Jonathan Pryce (even though he does have some Asian DNA) in Miss Saigon and there was huge outrage.  Hayes also doesn't likely fully understand what it is to be a Jewish man (especially living in that time).  And it's also very possible they do not address his heritage in the play because Hayes isn't Jewish.  Maybe they would have with a Jewish actor.  Maybe the play could have gotten to even deeper place with this exploration.  

Videos