pixeltracker

The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage- Page 2

The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#25The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 11/27/23 at 11:45pm

I saw Swept Away at Berkeley Rep and really loved it.

For anyone who has seen the DC version, what's the song list? (And if anyone has seen both, I'd love to hear about the differences!)

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#26The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 11/28/23 at 11:06am

Just got an email from Creative Goods advertising merchandise from the new "Broadway-bound musical" Swept Away. The Camper Mug has a giant squid on it so I guess I should pick that up at the theater when I go (love them). 

https://www.broadwaymerchandiseshop.com/collections/swept-away?utm_source=SWA_BMS&utm_medium=SWA_BMS&utm_campaign=SWA_BMS

yyys
#27The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 11/28/23 at 5:02pm

The musical is based on previously released Avett Brothers' songs so it is a jukebox musical.

BroadwaysBroad said: "What other musicals have Avett brothers written?"

JasonC3
#28The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/2/23 at 3:19pm

Ticket prices on many (most?) weekend dates previously were all $115.  Looks like they've now gone to a tiered system: $99, $129, and $149.

schubox
#29The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/5/23 at 2:51pm

Has anyone seen this? I saw it in CA so was curious if there were any changes. Also anyone know if this is slotted for a Broadway transfer?

BETTY22
#30The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/5/23 at 4:40pm

Friends saw it and really enjoyed it. 

Was "soft" and "intimate." Reminded them of Once, which I loved. 

Updated On: 12/5/23 at 04:40 PM

brodynky
#31The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/5/23 at 4:41pm

Not sure about Broadway transfer yet, but per an Avett Brothers fan club post, Arena Stage will be announcing an extension tomorrow. The D.C. run will now continue until January 14. 

TarHeelAlan
#32The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/5/23 at 6:21pm

JasonC3 said: "Ticket prices on many (most?) weekend dates previously were all $115. Looks like they've now gone to a tiered system: $99, $129, and $149.

If you look on Today Tix, there is at least one weekend date (Dec 17) as well as a number of weekday performances where the tiers are $79, $109 & $129. And for some reason there is just one date Dec 20 that has even cheaper prices for both shows that day: $79, $100, $111.

yyys
#33The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/5/23 at 8:56pm

“A Gift for Melody Anne”

“Ain’t No Man/Lord Lay Your Hand”

“Complainte d’un Matelot Mourant”

“Go to Sleep”

“Hard Worker”

“Lord Lay Your Hand On My Shoulder”

“May It Last”

“Murder in the City”

“No Hard Feelings”

“Nothing Short of Thankful”

“Satan Pulls the Strings”

“Swept Away”

“Through My Prayers”

“The Once and Future Carpenter”

Kitsune said: "I saw Swept Away at Berkeley Rep and really loved it.

For anyone who has seen the DC version, what's the song list? (And if anyone has seen both, I'd love to hear about the differences!)
"

Updated On: 12/5/23 at 08:56 PM

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#34The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/6/23 at 7:52am

Saw this last night and thought it was fantastic. The leading 4 men all did a really incredible job. The lighting was amazing and the set received a round of applause. I’ve been thinking a lot about it and hope to take a trip back to see it again to catch some nuances I may have missed by going in blind outside of the title, cast, they were on a big ship, and that the music was by The Avett Brothers which I had heard of in passing but knew nothing about. I thought the music worked well with the story and did not feel like a jukebox musical. 

I knew literally nothing else—which I think played a sizable role in my immense enjoyment of the show. Everything was a surprise as it happened. I wish others could also experience that way, but I see reviews from CA gave away major plot points and themes.  I don’t see how you could accurately review the show and performances without, but still, getting to be surprised more than once was really a treat.

Highly recommend! And I think this could very easily be done at CITS, especially if it’s done like KPOP where there’s one wall with no seats. It also would do well off-Broadway. 

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#35The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/6/23 at 9:41am

I'm a huge fan of JGJ, so that's a big part of my interest in this. Perhaps not knowing the Avett Brothers music will be a plus for me, as I don't really like jukebox musicals! 

An extension is a good sign! 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

schubox
#36The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/6/23 at 2:15pm

I enjoyed this at Berkeley but my wife loved it and really wants to see it if it transfers. Was just curious if there were any rumblings. Seems doubtful it would be anywhere in the spring right? That's when I am thinking of heading up again

TarHeelAlan
#37The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/6/23 at 4:05pm

brodynky said: "Not sure about Broadway transfer yet, but per an Avett Brothers fan club post, Arena Stage will be announcing an extension tomorrow. The D.C. run will now continue until January 14."

Looks like you received good information. Announcement this afternoon that the show extends to January 14. I took a quick glance at a few weekday and weekend performances. Prices for all shows seem to be $99, $129 & $149, although it looks like the $99 tickets are essentially limited to last row on the sides in the orchestra and mezzanine. Today Tix, which had been offering seats for the December run at somewhat reduced prices, does not show the January dates. 

yyys
#38The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/6/23 at 8:32pm

I saw this in DC last weekend and found it to be just OK. I feel like they should've done more on the book because it was a LOT of singing...maybe they were singing every 5 minutes or so. In my opinion, the songs didn't need to be done in full....Acting is superb though....wish there was more of it.  

SisterGeorge
#39The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/6/23 at 8:45pm

yyys said: "I saw this in DC last weekend and found it to be just OK. I feel like they should've done more on the book because it was a LOT of singing...maybe they were singing every 5 minutes or so. In my opinion, the songs didn't need to be done in full....Acting is superb though....wish there was more of it."

Sounds like HERE WE ARE would be your kind of show.

Sister George

batchels
#40The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/6/23 at 9:48pm

I caught this last weekend and LOVED it.  I had expectations similar to catching Dear Evan Hansen at Arena several years ago and was not disappointed.  I went into the show knowing nothing other than being familiar with the director and lead casting members.  There were several surprises I did not expect.  Moving and riveting, this has Broadway and Tony nominations in its future.  As an aside, there was a medical emergency in the audience which stop the performance for several minutes during a pivotal point in the show.   I was beyond impressed with how the cast was able to resume the performance with such ease.

TweetyPie2 Profile Photo
TweetyPie2
RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#42The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/9/23 at 3:14pm

Does the stage still flip itself

BOM  Profile Photo
BOM
#43The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/9/23 at 3:53pm

Seeing it next weekend. Is the post above a spoiler?

yyys
#44The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/9/23 at 4:07pm

Yes.

BOM said: "Seeing it next weekend. Is the post above a spoiler?"

TarHeelAlan
#45The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/9/23 at 5:17pm

Just hit the lottery for tomorrow's (Dec 10) matinee. A couple of data points for anyone that's hoping to win:

1. The notices seem to go out right at 2PM, at least for the matinees. If you win, it should be text and email, if no win, just the usual "Sorry" email. 

2. IMPORTANT: The past few days they've had a second round of winners notices going out around 4:30pm, so keep checking. This is the "losers lottery" that we won for tomorrow's show. Yesterday there was instead an unusual follow up email that went out around 4:30 indicating they still had not found buyers for all the allocated tickets, and were offering a second drawing. IIRC, it said something like "reply to this email, and if we notify you that your name was drawn you will have ten minutes to claim your tickets." We saw that too late to enter, unfortunately.

3. If you initially don't win, but win the "losers lottery", and you have the Today Tix app open, be sure to log out and then log right back in. That will "clear" the loss from your orders, allowing the app to show that you've won, and you can then buy the tickets. This is probably good advice for any Today Tix lottery. 

Good luck, all!

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#46The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/11/23 at 6:14pm

I saw this over the weekend and was a bit underwhelmed. Acting is top notch, the music which I went in not expecting to care for now impressed me with full orchestrations and harmonies, and the show moved at a brisk pace, but if you have a passing interest in seafaring literature or other media, the journey is familiar and in the end, predictable. 

Word is if this transfers it will be in the fall.

Updated On: 12/11/23 at 06:14 PM

Rosette3
#47The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/14/23 at 1:28am

TarHeelAlan said: "Just hit the lottery for tomorrow's (Dec 10) matinee. A couple of data points for anyone that's hoping to win:

1. The notices seem to go out right at 2PM, at least for the matinees. If you win, it should be text and email, if no win, just the usual "Sorry" email.

Winners for evening show went out at 2PM day prior as well. I won after a week and half of entries and really lucked out bc I won a ticket on the night of the post show talk back. I was impressed 6 cast members (including Stark, Adrian and Taurean who've been with show since beginning) participated in the panel. The Q&A was so insightful. That being said I do hope they work on the book. It felt choppy and disconnected at times but the casting for the 4 leads was *chef's kiss*. At times I forgot it was JGJ acting, he really committed himself to Mate, and has a knack for that mental character that has a  break down lol. 

The ensemble doesn't get enough love. They were  dynamic in their movement. The cohesion , camaraderie and fraternity of a crew (on a ship and within a cast) was very apparent. Anyone else feels that though they are well integrated with the blocking and choreo, they are pretty literal ensemble, background singers separate from leads other than one singular solo by the strawberry blonde seaman? 

I really hope it transfers with $$$ investors so they can take the set design to the next level. As Taurean, the dance captain, spitball, I dont think I'd mind seeing  seaman doing aerial rope like acrobatics off a ship mass... just saying 

OMG U Guyz
#48The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/14/23 at 5:33am

brodynky said: "Not sure about Broadway transfer yet, but per an Avett Brothers fan club post, Arena Stage will be announcing an extension tomorrow. The D.C. run will now continue until January 14."

There’s a rumor floating around they’re going to take the circle in the square in nyc after Enemy of the People 

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#49The Avett Brothers’ SWEPT AWAY musical at Arena Stage
Posted: 12/14/23 at 12:35pm

Whatever happens, keep an eye on Adrian Blake Enscoe. Very engaging performer I hope we all get to see on stage for years to come.