pixeltracker

Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - Reviews, News & Discussion Thread- Page 5

Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - Reviews, News & Discussion Thread

binau Profile Photo
binau
#100Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 8/16/23 at 2:16am

Exactly. I think the producers at this point would be willing to compromise a bit of the art if it meant they aren't going to lose their entire investment. If the producers can manage to convince investors to mount this show on Broadway with Charlie Stemp they would have to be the best sales people in the world, I'd give them that. Unfortunately, I don't think it's an option anymore. But I think that's ok - it makes it all the more special for those who have seen Charlie. 

See also: "It's a Business" from Curtains. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#101Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 8/16/23 at 6:16am

blaxx said: "BenjaminNicholas2 said: "ggersten said: "blaxx said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Charlie Stemp is the STAR! If they bring this over, he’s the string attached. They just need to market him better over here! I’m telling you, he’s not to be missed!"

While I agree he's very good, he doesn't make or break the Stroman staging that was already a massive hit in the 90s., with many others playing the role successfully.

Put Tom Holland in this, for example, and no one would miss Stemp much in term of box office + star quality.
"

Tom Holland might even sell more tickets

"

Holland can't do anywhere near what Stemp is doing in the role now.

And if they simplify the tap for Holland, it would ruin the whole show.
"

Oh please, if he's playing Fred Astaire and played Billy Elliott he can do this with eyes closed.

My point is that, as good as Stemp is, a big star with a solid dance background can easily take over and make the show a mega hit.
"

He played Billy Elliot 15 years ago and since then he said he regretted having given up on dancing. Playing Fred Astair in a movie doesn't mean he can dance for 2 hours and a half on stage eight times a week. It's not that Stemp can't be replaced, but we can't ignore the demands of the role either

Updated On: 8/16/23 at 06:16 AM

Dallas Theatre Fan
#102Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/10/23 at 6:13pm

According to posters on Theatreboard the show is not selling tickets past 12/30.  It's a shame because I had a great time when I saw it this past summer.  

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#103Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/10/23 at 9:53pm

This is sad. The show was incredible! Makes me wonder if the plans of possibly transferring it to New York are still happening. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#104Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/10/23 at 9:58pm

Dallas Theatre Fan said: "According to posters on Theatreboard the show is not selling tickets past 12/30. It's a shame because I had a great time when I saw it this past summer."

IF this transfers to Broadway, I hope it holds off until the 2024-25 season now. The current season is flooded with revivals.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dallas Theatre Fan
#105Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/10/23 at 10:16pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "This is sad. The show was incredible! Makes me wonder if the plans of possibly transferring it to New York are still happening."

I unfortunately think the Broadway transfer is DOA.  The show only lasted for 6 months on the West End and they had to move the originally planned closing date from mid-Jan to 12/30 just shows how badly it was selling.  

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#106Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/10/23 at 10:42pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "This is sad. The show was incredible! Makes me wonder if the plans of possibly transferring it to New York are still happening."

DS I asked around my industry friends and they said no plans for this transferring to Bway.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

inception Profile Photo
inception
#107Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/11/23 at 10:05am

It doesn't matter how great the dancing and production numbers are when the book is so old fashioned and full of clunky old jokes.  This is the sort of show best left to Summer stock & community theatre where people are more forgiving when they are only paying $50 or less.  People were eating up the local production here in the Spring that starred a local TV personality & his wife  (one of the hosts of Love It or List It Vancouver).  I left at at intermission,  but I'm an old snob. - the rest of audience loved it.

Dylan Smith4
#108Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/14/23 at 1:49pm

Final Performance on New Years Eve! They just made it official! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzosrSLtJux/?igshid=Y3NqY3d1d2JwOWF4

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#109Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/14/23 at 5:26pm

I saw this last week, and I thought it was terrific! The audience was really into it and everyone was having a great time. So charming. I do wish this would transfer. I liked it a lot more than the original. And this is definitely a better evening than the overrated Guys & Dolls revival.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Dylan Smith4
#110Charlie Stemp CRAZY FOR YOU West End - P/reviews & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/14/23 at 7:40pm

I could see this transferring to the Beaumont at Lincoln Center next summer after Uncle Vanya finishes.