SAG-AFTRA strike

BdwyFan
#1SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 9:59am

Any idea how/if the SAG-AFTRA strike may affect theater and Broadway et al?  Anyone know?

Updated On: 7/13/23 at 09:59 AM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#2SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 10:15am

From what I read, any SAG-AFTRA members on Broadway can still perform but they cannot do any TV performances with whatever show they are in. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 10:16am

Most likely not at all unless there are plans for taping or broadcasting productions, in which case those would be delayed. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

pablitonizer
#4SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 10:35am

Dylan Smith4 said: "From what I read, any SAG-AFTRA members on Broadway can still perform but they cannot do any TV performances with whatever show they are in."

This exactly! One of the Broadway shows that could be impacted is OUAOMT where Briga Heelan (Cinderella) is part of SAG-AFTRA. This is the reason why the show was removed from today's Broadway at Bryant Park pre-show

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 10:38am

If producers were smart, they’d snatch up some big-name actors for future projects as soon as possible. Otherwise they’d probably be out of work for months, maybe even years. 

Oh look, a bibu!

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#6SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 11:10am

EDSOSLO858 said: "If producers were smart, they’d snatch up some big-name actors for future projects as soon as possible. Otherwise they’d probably be out of work for months, maybe even years."

Not trying to be snarky or sarcastic, but it's not like Broadway / commercial theatre is on rock solid financial footing either. 

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#7SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 11:29am

James885 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "If producers were smart, they’d snatch up some big-name actors for future projects as soon as possible. Otherwise they’d probably be out of work for months, maybe even years."

Not trying to be snarky or sarcastic, but it's not like Broadway / commercial theatre is on rock solid financial footing either.
"

It seems to be a bit more stable than Hollywood right now. Even if productions are getting ridiculously A-List stars, there are probably many TV actors who would jump at the chance to work and expand their resume. I'd like to think that, in a perfect world, Marcel Spears would lead a reopening of FAT HAM (a la TAKE ME OUT), or Laurie Metcalf would remain a fixture of Broadway in perpituity as she has (especially with the likelihood of THE CONNERS becoming a fatality of the strike). Get the ladies of Abbott Elementary in a production of THE WOMEN! The possibilities are endless!

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 11:53am

quizking101 said: "James885 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "If producers were smart, they’d snatch up some big-name actors for future projects as soon as possible. Otherwise they’d probably be out of work for months, maybe even years."

"

It seems to be a bit more stable than Hollywood right now. Even if productions are getting ridiculously A-List stars, there are probably many TV actors who would jump at the chance to work and expand their resume. I'd like to think that, in a perfect world, Marcel Spears would lead a reopening of FAT HAM (a la TAKE ME OUT), or Laurie Metcalf would remain a fixture of Broadway in perpituity as she has (especially with the likelihood of THE CONNERS becoming a fatality of the strike). Get the ladies of Abbott Elementary in a production of THE WOMEN! The possibilities are endless!
"

Maybe this’ll finally give Jake the chance to do Sunday in London???

Oh look, a bibu!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 12:42pm

pablitonizer said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "From what I read, any SAG-AFTRA members on Broadway can still perform but they cannot do any TV performances with whatever show they are in."

This exactly! One of the Broadway shows that could be impacted is OUAOMT where Briga Heelan (Cinderella) is part of SAG-AFTRA. This is the reason why the show was removed from today's Broadway at Bryant Park pre-show
"

I dont see how doing a live performance has anything to do Sag/Aftra....are they now filming and broadcasting Bryant Park performances? I'm truly asking as this makes no sense to me. I would imagine EVERY show has sag/aftra members.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

OMG U Guyz
#10SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 12:45pm

Broadway is covered by Equity so they can perform onstage they just can’t do any Union film/tv projects. News/morning shows are under a different contract that expires next year so technically they can promote stage shows but they need clear guidance from sag/aftra ( talent might decline in solidarity). 

pablitonizer
#11SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 12:50pm

dramamama611 said: "pablitonizer said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "From what I read, any SAG-AFTRA members on Broadway can still perform but they cannot do any TV performances with whatever show they are in."

"

I dont see how doing a live performance has anything to do Sag/Aftra....are they now filming and broadcasting Bryant Park performances? I'm truly asking as this makes no sense to me. I would imagine EVERY show has sag/aftra members.
"

My understanding is that SAG-AFTRA cannot do any type of promotion while on strike and performing at Bryant Park is considered promotion. The TV performance is also on hold 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#12SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 1:34pm

If this strike happens, I expect Chicago to have all three lead roles plus Amos with some kind of name come September.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JSquared2
#13SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 1:40pm

pablitonizer said: "dramamama611 said: "pablitonizer said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "From what I read, any SAG-AFTRA members on Broadway can still perform but they cannot do any TV performances with whatever show they are in."

"

"

My understanding is thatSAG-AFTRA cannot do any type of promotion while on strike and performing at Bryant Park is considered promotion. The TV performance is also on hold
"

Your understanding is incorrect.  SAG AFTRA has nothing to do with why OUAOMT had to pull out of Bryant Park today.  Please don't spread false information.

pablitonizer
#14SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 1:43pm

JSquared2 said: "pablitonizer said: "dramamama611 said: "pablitonizer said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "From what I read, any SAG-AFTRA members on Broadway can still perform but they cannot do any TV performances with whatever show they are in."

"

"

My understanding is thatSAG-AFTRA cannot do any type of promotion while on strike and performing at Bryant Park is considered promotion. The TV performance is also on hold
"

Your understanding is incorrect. SAG AFTRA has nothing to do with why OUAOMT had to pull out of Bryant Park today. Please don't spread false information.

"

That's what I've been told. Please share the real reason for clarification then 

JSquared2
#15SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 1:45pm

pablitonizer said: "JSquared2 said: "pablitonizer said: "dramamama611 said: "pablitonizer said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "From what I read, any SAG-AFTRA members on Broadway can still perform but they cannot do any TV performances with whatever show they are in."

"

"

"

Your understanding is incorrect. SAG AFTRA has nothing to do with why OUAOMT had to pull out of Bryant Park today. Please don't spread false information.

"

That's what I've been told. Please share the real reason for clarification then
"

Sorry but that's on a "need to know" basis -- and you don't qualify.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#16SAG-AFTRA strike
Posted: 7/13/23 at 2:58pm

1. The Venn Diagram between AEA and SAG-AFTRA has a large middle section. It's silly to talk about a single person affecting a performance even if it hadn't been incorrect per Jsquared to start with. 

2. No one knows how long these strikes will last so no one is going to make theatre decisions based on having certain actors available for anything more complicated than, say, Chicago. The addition of SAG-AFTRA to WGA monumentally alters the stakes for AMPTP's members. The cheating that has been going on will dry up when it would include actors, and the studios cannot afford to hold out until the actors are bankrupt as they were seemingly willing to do with the writers. 

3. These strikes will not last "years" and believe it or not the sky is not falling. The strikes are about staking out the model going forward and the employers are not going to get a free pass to eke through.