pixeltracker

Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?

Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?

sng
#1Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?
Posted: 7/13/23 at 10:15pm

I know there are plenty of Sag members who are performing on Broadway right now. Will they be forbid to perform?

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#2Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?
Posted: 7/13/23 at 10:22pm

Good God how many times does this question need to be asked and answered on this board. There was literally a thread earlier today and it's also been discussed at other points over the last month.

No, they can still perform. It's not the same thing.

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#3Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?
Posted: 7/13/23 at 10:22pm

Not at all. There are specific contracts that are striking, and they have nothing to do with Broadway.

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#4Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?
Posted: 7/13/23 at 11:04pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "Good God how many times does this question need to be asked and answered on this board. There was literally a thread earlier today and it's also been discussed at other points over the last month.

No, they can still perform. It's not the same thing.
"

Deep breaths. You’ll survive this somehow.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#5Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?
Posted: 7/14/23 at 9:36am

I heard that they will spontaneously combust.

Jumpin_J
#6Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?
Posted: 7/14/23 at 7:27pm

inception said: "I heard that they will spontaneously combust."

🤣

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#7Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?
Posted: 7/14/23 at 8:17pm

The SCREEN actors guild strike won’t affect STAGE actors. Even if they’re in the guild if they’re on STAGE, and not SCREEN, they can still work. 

The clue’s in the name. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

UncleCharlie
#8Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?
Posted: 7/15/23 at 5:10am

Plannietink08 said: "The SCREEN actors guild strike won’t affect STAGE actors. Even if they’re in the guild if they’re on STAGE, and not SCREEN, they can still work.

The clue’s in the name.
"

OK, but some stage productions project images during the stage production onto a screen. Do the SAG actors have to leave the stage during the part of the stage production while the image is projected onto a screen?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?
Posted: 7/15/23 at 5:16am

UncleCharlie I can't tell if that is meant to be satire or not (if not ok fine it's probably a fair thought and I'll answer sincerely), but I don't think it matters. It's still a stage performance, it's more about the medium the performance is distributed if I understand correctly. However, there is one potential issue someone was talking about which is that the SAG actors are apparently not able to promote shows on television. Is this true? Not going to tank Broadway of course but it is a subtle effect that could be felt if this promotion is needed. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TarHeelAlan
#10Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?
Posted: 7/15/23 at 7:41am

binau, here are the SAG-AFTRA strike rules as published accompanying an article in the Hollywood Reporter:

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/sa_documents/Strike%20Notice%20to%20Members.pdf

Yes, the rules "explicitly prohibit promotion of/publicity services for work under the TV/Theatrical Contracts" including tours, personal appearances, interviews, premieres, and more. No red carpet, no Good Morning America, no social media, etc. 

Full article can be found here, https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/sag-aftra-strike-rules-1235533357/

And the question has been asked and answered here several times, but for those still wondering if this impacts Broadway performances, the answer again is no, that's not covered under the SAG-AFTRA agreement. 

"The guidelines, released on Thursday, state that the union’s 160,000 affected members will be prohibited from all principal on-camera work — including acting, singing, dancing and stunts — on top of off-camera work, such as voice-acting and narration. Also barred is background and stand-in work, negotiations for future services and any ancillary work for a struck production, among other things."

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#11Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?
Posted: 7/15/23 at 10:08am

UncleCharlie said: "Plannietink08 said: "The SCREEN actors guild strike won’t affect STAGE actors. Even if they’re in the guild if they’re on STAGE, and not SCREEN, they can still work.

The clue’s in the name.
"

OK, but some stage productions project images during the stage production onto a screen. Do the SAG actors have to leave the stage during the part of the stage production while the image is projected onto a screen?
"

Prerecorded visual elements used in a theatre production do not generally get covered by SAG- the union recognizes they are theatrical. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12Sag strike, what will happen to Sag members on Broadway?
Posted: 7/15/23 at 10:43am

They have no jurisdiction over anything done on stage, filmed or otherwise. Its not about what SAG recognizes. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.