pixeltracker

THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele @ LCT

THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele @ LCT

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele @ LCT
Posted: 7/18/23 at 12:03pm

Exciting! Anyone catch this at the Old Globe?

Lincoln Center Theater just announced the New York premiere of THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA, directed and co-choreographed by Graciela Daniele, with book, music, and lyrics by Michael John LaChiusa. THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA will begin previews Thursday, October 19 and open on Monday, November 20 at the Mitzi E. Newhouse Theater (150 West 65 Street). 

THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA is inspired by the early life story of an icon of the American stage: Broadway legend Graciela Daniele. Anuncia (Priscilla Lopez) tends the garden of her country house as she reflects on her life, looking back on her girlhood in Juan Perón’s Argentina and paying homage to the family of women whose love and sacrifices allowed her to become an artist. This funny, poignant, and beautiful musical features a beguilingly romantic and tango-infused score filled with the exuberant sounds of women reveling in the joys of being alive. 

Cast: Enrique Acevedo, Andrea Burns, Eden Espinosa, Priscilla Lopez, Tally Sessions, Mary Testa, Kalyn West.

Opening Number

Updated On: 11/5/23 at 12:03 PM

KevinKlawitter
#3THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 7/18/23 at 2:12pm

A new musical about living under Juan Peron opening Off-Broadway when a revival of Evita is rumored to be aiming towards Broadway is a bit of a flex.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#4THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 7/18/23 at 4:41pm

KevinKlawitter said: "A new musical about living under Juan Peron opening Off-Broadway when a revival ofEvita is rumored to be aiming towards Broadway is a bit of a flex."

idk how much of a flex it is, it's a limited run at the Mitzi Newhouse and shows are in development for a long time.

Considering Michael John, Graciela, and LCT's track record of late, I don't have any expectations that this will make it to Broadway. But at minimum should be interesting to see in the Newhouse.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
rubytuesday Profile Photo
rubytuesday
#6THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 7/18/23 at 9:27pm

How interesting. Can anyone think of another autobiographical musical that was directed by the subject?

PipingHotPiccolo
#7THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 7/18/23 at 9:45pm

BJR said: "Some beautiful stuff in this when I saw it at The Old Globe. The set was especially stunning."

....but that was about as far as the praise went. A total bore of a show, with some impressive vocals from some impressive ladies. I dont remember the reviews being particularly kind either? But good to see this many talented people getting some NY stage time. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#8THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 7/18/23 at 10:37pm

rubytuesday said: "How interesting. Can anyone think of another autobiographical musical that was directed by the subject?"

Not a stage musical, but I think Fosse definitely counts with ALL THAT JAZZ.

Alessio2
#9THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 7/18/23 at 11:40pm

Oh man...I saw this at the Old Globe and really didn't like a single thing about it.  It was pretty awful

steve.sometime
#10THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 7/19/23 at 4:23am

I also saw it at the Old Globe, and thought this was one of the more accessible scores MJL has written. Way more enjoyable than Los Otros. I'd love to hear many of the songs again. Malagueña was a standout.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#11THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 9/7/23 at 12:45pm

Member tickets are now on sale.  $67.25 with fees.  Lots of selection.  The membership I bought to get good seats to Camelot expires at the end of the year, so I figured I would make use of it.  Hopefully reviews will be OK. 

With just over 100 days until I travel, I have almost filled all my show slots.

Updated On: 9/7/23 at 12:45 PM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#12THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 9/7/23 at 12:58pm

$57.25 for previews, although discounts will probably be readily available later. I've had several tickets for various shows at the Newhouse before, but I've never actually made it there. I've wanted to see Eden Espinosa live for quite some time, though, so I think this will be the one.

Updated On: 9/7/23 at 12:58 PM

conealpetterson
#13THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 9/7/23 at 4:52pm

I saw this at the Old Globe and absolutely loved it.  I am so glad it will be at LCT.  I hope we get a cast recording. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#15THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 9/7/23 at 5:30pm

Question for those that like MJL’s work…am I missing something? I like the wild party but really so find his music so inaccessible. Do I sound like a basic b that just doesn’t ‘get it’ like those who say the same thing about Sondheim and there truly is gold?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bruzson
#16THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 9/7/23 at 5:41pm

Some of MJL's stuff is definitely 'art house' (see Marie Christine at LTC). But try 'See What I Wanna See', which I think is some of his best work. But his hand's down best score was for 'Giant', at least at Signature Theater in Virginia. It was truncated a bit at the Public but still has some wonderful numbers. We saw 'Gardens of A' at the Old Globe and liked it a lot. It's a decidely smaller piece with many nice moments and some good numbers, but as a whole it doesn't amount to a lot, which is fine if you don't have great expectations.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#17THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 9/7/23 at 6:12pm

binau said: "Question for those that like MJL’s work…am I missing something? I like the wild party but really so find his music so inaccessible. Do I sound like a basic b that just doesn’t ‘get it’ like those who say the same thing about Sondheim and there truly is gold?"

I'm a big fan, but I know his style can be a little hard to embrace. I don't think you're missing anything - if it doesn't work for you, I don't have any idea (or any need) to convince you otherwise!

My favorite score of his is Bernarda Alba, and a few months ago I wrote a two-part review of its cast recording for my friend's (excellent) blog. For the record, here are the links:

https://www.jkstheatrescene.com/2023/06/rediscoveries-bernarda-alba-world.html

https://www.jkstheatrescene.com/2023/06/rediscoveries-bernarda-alba-world_0193000367.html

VintageSnarker
#18THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 9/7/23 at 11:27pm

binau said: "Question for those that like MJL’s work…am I missing something? I like the wild party but really so find his music so inaccessible. Do I sound like a basic b that just doesn’t ‘get it’ like those who say the same thing about Sondheim and there truly is gold?"

I think Giant and Queen of the Mist are most accessible as classic musicals. See What I Want to See has more outside influences from popular music and it has a real sense of fun. I enjoy Marie Christine, especially Way Back to Paradise, but I wouldn't start there.

I prefer Lippa's Wild Party. Hello Again is interesting but hit or miss for me. I got to see First Daughter Suite live and I think I was mostly swept up by the talented cast. One day I'll get around to Bernarda Alba and Little Fish and First Lady Suite. The reviews scared me away from seeing Los Otros. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#19THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 9/9/23 at 2:09pm

Alessio2 said: "Oh man...I saw this at the Old Globe and really didn't like a single thing about it. It was pretty awful"

So was that opening number, we'll pass on this one. I wonder what's happening with Eden and Lempicka? I had heard many many months ago that they wanted the Kerr after Hadestown closes but it's still doing solid biz. 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

inception Profile Photo
inception
#20THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 9/9/23 at 5:02pm

A few other songs are on the Old Globe's YouTube page.  I like what I've seen so far.

Eden Espinosa performs Malagueña:

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#21THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 9/9/23 at 11:12pm

inception said: "A few other songs are on the Old Globe's YouTube page. I like what I've seen so far.

Eden Espinosa performs Malagueña:

Thanks for this but that was agonizing listening to Eden and her pitch problems through the whole song. Ugh. 

"

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#22THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 9/10/23 at 2:03am

Loved Bernarda Alba! Wish I had seen that one live. I think his music, for me, is best experienced live. I saw First Daughter Suite and Queen of the Mist live and loved them but don’t feel myself reaching to listen to a recording. But I’d seen them both again live. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#23THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 9/11/23 at 1:01pm

Robbie2 said: "Alessio2 said: "Oh man...I saw this at the Old Globe and really didn't like a single thing about it. It was pretty awful"

So was that opening number, we'll pass on this one. I wonder what's happening with Eden and Lempicka? I had heard many many months ago that they wanted the Kerr after Hadestown closes but it's still doing solid biz.
"

Update - As for Lempicka and Eden it's now planned for Broadway spring'24. Really looking forward to seeing this with her next year! https://youtu.be/hvE0Nkp8gj8

Updated On: 9/11/23 at 01:01 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#25THE GARDENS OF ANUNCIA: Michael John LaChiusa musical based on the life of Graciela Daniele will play LCT's Newhouse in Fall 2023 w/ Priscilla Lopez, Mary Testa, Andréa Burns, Eden Espinosa
Posted: 9/15/23 at 1:03pm

KevinKlawitter said: "A new musical about living under Juan Peron opening Off-Broadway when a revival ofEvita is rumored to be aiming towards Broadway is a bit of a flex."

It’s has zero to do with Peronism. That’s the timeline setting but has no relevancy to Juan Perón or his regime.  

Videos