pixeltracker

Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART

Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 10/16/23 at 1:25pm

https://americanrepertorytheater.org/shows-events/real-women-have-curves

Summer 1987, Boyle Heights, Los Angeles. After eighteen years under the roof of her immigrant parents, Ana is ready to spread her wings. Her dreams of college and a career in New York City are bursting at the seams, but her family’s expectations would keep her home, working at their garment factory. Is it worth sacrificing the dreams of her family, who have sacrificed everything for her? Based on the play by Josefina López that inspired the iconic hit film, Real Women Have Curves: The Musical is an empowering new show that explores life’s unexpected curves.

Directed and choreographed by Tony Award winner Sergio Trujillo (ArrabalAin’t Too ProudJersey Boys), this world-premie musical features a book by award-winning playwright Lisa Loomer (RoeThe Waiting RoomGirl, Interrupted) with an original score by Grammy-winning recording artist Joy Huerta (from world-renowned Mexican pop duo Jesse&Joy) and Fred Ebb Award winner Benjamin Velez (Kiss My Aztec).

DEC 6 - JAN 21, 2024

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 10/16/23 at 1:51pm

JUSTINA MACHADO!!!!!!!!!

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/6/23 at 12:00pm

https://www.playbill.com/article/real-women-have-curves-the-musical-begins-world-premiere-december-6

The world premiere of Real Women Have Curves: The Musical begins at American Repertory Theater December 6 ahead of a December 14 opening night. The run will continue at the Massachusetts company's Loeb Drama Center through January 21, 2024. Tony winner Sergio Trujillo is directing and choreographing the musical adaptation of Josephina López's 1993 play, which also had a 2002 film version. 

Lucy Godínez leads the company as Ana, with Shelby Acosta as Prima Flaca, Satya Chávez as Izel, Florencia Cuenca as Estela, Yvette González-Nacer as Mrs. Wright, Sandra Valls as Prima Fulvia, Carla Jimenez as Pancha, Justina Machado as Carmen, Edward Padilla as Raúl, Mason Reeves as Henry, and Jennifer Sánchez as Rosalí. Shadia Fairuz, Elisa Galindez, Michael Keyloun, Christopher M. Ramirez, and Arusi Santi make up the ensemble, with swings Amy Lizardo, Kayla Quiroz, Sage, and Gus Stuckey rounding out the company. Casting is by Victor Vazquez and Duncan Stewart.

Joy Huerta and Benjamin Velez have written the music and lyrics with a book by Lisa Loomer. The work follows a first-generation child of Mexican immigrants torn between joining the family garment business or embarking on her own dream of attending college in NYC.

The production features music supervision by Nadia DiGiallonardo, scenic design by Arnulfo Maldonado, costume design by Wilberth Gonzalez and Paloma Young, lighting design by Natasha Katz, sound design by Walter Trarbach, and projection design by Hana S. Kim. Roberto Sinha is music director. Molly Meg Legal serves as production stage manager, with assistant stage managers Alfredo Macias and Cate Agis.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/6/23 at 4:03pm

I'll be there Sunday night. Very excited.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dramamama611
#5Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/10/23 at 11:35pm

On the train home.

There's a lot to love here and some things that need work. It's not Broadway ready, and I don't know if that's a path they are looking at.

It could be, and do fairly well. Both the book and the music/lyrics need some work. Neither are bad, theyre just not connecting the whole story. Some of the songs are unnecessary or unearned. Example: the title song is lovely, even got a mid show standing o by  25-35% of the audience. It's a great song, staged really well. However, body image is seldom mentioned in the book.  There are a few cracks about the characters weight, but they don't go anywhere, she is given no struggle with body image  to break free of it, yet alone encourage the other women.

The direction and choreo are hit and miss.  Some of it feels very amateur especially when it's only dealing with 2 people. 

I thought the sets, lighting And costumes were so very, very good. (The costumes a little less so.)

And the performances are TERRIFIC, by nearly everyone.

I'm not lining up to see this again at the ART, but am definitely rooting for it's next step on its journey! 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

petirrojo
#6Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/11/23 at 8:22am

My wife and I went to the first preview, and at intermission turned to each other, said, "Oh my God," and pulled out our phones to buy tickets for the second preview. And we loved the second preview even more! (Now we have tickets again for January). I've seen hundreds of shows and have never had this impulse before. 

There are some pieces that need some work--in particular there are a couple of songs in the second act that fell a little flat for me (especially a song between the mother and father). But I have rarely felt so much potential in a show. The performances were exquisite and the songs were (with one or two exceptions) absolutely stellar. 

Specifically in relation to the body image point the previous poster raised--I disagree! I felt that it was subtly interwoven throughout the entire show. My wife and her mother have this exact relationship around body weight and the show really nailed it in a way I've rarely seen before in the media--the protagonist's posture and self-consciousness throughout, the mother's (and others') comments and the girl's responses, the breaking free, etc. 

I'm very excited to see where this goes. :) 

JaglinSays
barcelona20
#8Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/11/23 at 9:26am

JaglinSays said: "SHILL!!!!"

Nah, seems totallyyyy genuine!!!

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#9Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/12/23 at 8:06am

It’s the “and pulled out our phones” line that killed me. Y’all use two phones to buy tickets separately all the time? It was intermission so wasn’t the box office open and within 30 feet of you?  

Anyway, looking forward to legit reviews of this. 

GigiOh127
#10Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/12/23 at 8:09am

When I first saw the poster for RWHC, I was absolutely thrilled. The film is one of my favorite movies and was the first time I ever saw myself on screen accurately. A first gen to college gordita who had bumped heads with her family for years over those two things. It’s a story that resonates with most of my latinx peers, but it also transcends cultural lines and speaks to people of color and children of immigrants abroad. I wanted to love this production more than anything. But it really fell flat on a lot of fronts. And I think that many who loved the movie will feel the same. 

The issue of weight and body image are sprinkled in, but only slightly so. It should be a central theme to the storyline, it’s literally in the title, but it really gets lost in all the other conflicts of the story. It doesn’t make it any less beautiful to see the iconic undressing scene, but how much more empowering that scene could be if it had the proper build up throughout the production. 

It was also sad to see that the relationship between Ana and Carmen lacked a lot of the intensity that drove the story in the film. Carmen was a little too quick to change her mind about Ana’s decision to leave. I was really disappointed when Carmen actually said goodbye to Ana and gave her a blessing. The movie had it right. That scene was brutal, heart wrenching and just petty, but it was so real. Those moments live with us and forge us. They are the reasons we go to therapy, but also the reasons that we push ourselves to achieve enough to make that pain worth something.

Something I really need to get off of my chest is a pet peeve I have with most current Latinx representation in TV, Film, books, and now plays. And it’s the unnatural use of Spanish. Even a fully Latinx cast can’t save a script of poorly placed Spanish words. I know, I know, we have a broader audience than just Latinx folks to reach, but what I would give for one of these shows to just sound like us. The real us, not the stereotypical us. Spanglish is a huge part of our world, but I haven’t quite found any production who has found the sweet spot within it to really make it useful in storytelling. In particular, the song about mole felt really forced. I know where it was trying to take the story but it was really a stretch. It wasn’t an anthem that made me feel connected. 

I could sit and nitpick all day, but only because this story means so much to me. It deserves to be told no holds barred. 

There were many elements of the production that still made it worth seeing. The music was fun. The actors were powerhouses and gave stellar performances. They made me laugh and cry throughout the show. The set was beautiful. And the costumes looked like home. I swear I could name a family member that resembled the style of each character. 

I’m definitely planning on seeing it again. I heard that changes had been made from the night I saw it, and I’m interested to see what those changes were. I had taken some friends with me and, while they didn’t have quite the same connection to the movie as I did, they enjoyed it, and some even bought tickets to bring their family members to see it later this month.

I have high hopes for this production on its journey. It’s my story. I want it to be seen, heard, and felt so deeply. It’s not quite there yet, but I hope it can be.

barcelona20
#11Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/12/23 at 9:24am

The shills are out strong on this one.

barcelona20
#12Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/15/23 at 10:55am

Turns out shills weren't even needed. Official reviews are very good. Another ART transfer headed for Bway?

OhHiii
#13Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/15/23 at 10:59am

So...the people you determined were shills may have.....bear with me.....genuinely been people who saw and loved the show? WOAH. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/15/23 at 11:32am

barcelona20 said: "Another ART transfer headed for Bway?"

Barry Weissler is producing the show so it's possible. Wonder if Jesse Green and other NY critics will travel to Cambridge to see the show at some point.

barcelona20
#15Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/15/23 at 11:45am

OhHiii said: "So...the people you determined were shills may have.....bear with me.....genuinely been people who saw and loved the show? WOAH."

When someone joins the board the same day as their post, then I'd say it's somewhat logical to assume it's a shill of some kind.  Just because the show is good, doesn't mean they still weren't shills.

dramamama611
#16Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/15/23 at 12:28pm

So I'm guessing you didn't READ the poster's comments which critisized quite a bit of the show.  I agree the poster after my "reveiw" sounded very shill-like...but I don't think anyone else has.

The show IS good, very good....but it needs some work before hitting NYC, on Bway.

ESBway125
#17Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/15/23 at 2:12pm

First things first, what a great start to a story that, in my opinion, really needs to be told. The cast is insanely talented and I think they did a spectacular job bringing life to this project.

For context, I am in my mid/late 30’s, male, multiracial and have had a successful career as a clothing maker. I have spent the better part of the last 7 years working in costume shops where the staff has been primarily made up of latinx women. Over time I have gotten to know these women and have heard their stories, their struggles, what they went through to get where they are, how tough they have had to be in order to come to America and survive. As well, over the years and solely through chance, I have found myself to have friends, who I now consider family and vise versa, who are not only latinx but come from the world that is attempting to be described in this show. Like my relationships with the latinx women in the costume shops I, over time, have learned of the worlds in which my friends’ come from, their experience as a first generation American, their immigration story, the effect their documentation status has had on them and/or their family. I have even spent time in my friends’ family homes, spent time with their Spanish only speaking parents, eaten food made by mothers and fathers who’s sacrifices and bravery have paved the way for their children to have better lives than they did. 

With what I have learned in mind there were several things that, as an “outsider” to this world, really stood out to me. The first being the overall tone of this particular production. Putting aside any comparison to the film, I personally felt that not only was the tone annoyingly catered to a white audience but I found it to be disrespectful to the truth of this very real story. If one is going to take the time and energy to bring  a project of this subject matter to life, go there. Don’t make it a joke. While the emotional and “real” moments were certainly touching it seemed clear that there was a desire to make this story palatable for an audience who has no firsthand, let alone secondhand, knowledge of this world. If this story is going to be told, tell it. Full stop. That being said, light heartedness and humor is certainly an element that should be included. However in my experience that element comes with the culture in how they speak to one another. The harsh reality of their lives find a reprieve in jokes made about themselves and at the expense of one another while at the same time not cheapening or disregarding their truths.

The other thing I found to be frustrating was the title of the show in relation to its content. The scene where the work room gets so hot they strip down to their undergarments seemed to be an afterthought rather than a central theme or through line. If you are going to keep this script, change the title. As of now the title does not serve this version.

Another thought is in regards to the song Blood Thicker Than Mole. Never have I ever heard any latinx person speak about mole the way this song would lead an “outsider” to believe. It seemed gimicky and untrue.

While I understand the show’s desire to walk the line between a Spanish speaking audience and not, I sometimes found the use of the Spanish language to be not only contrived but also potentially harmful or a hindrance to the story being told. As someone who does not speak Spanish but has picked up quite a bit through spending so much time in and around the latinx community I was able to not only understand most of what was being talked about but also understand the references made that a white audience would simply not get. It was as though in the moments when the the Spanish language was used it flew the moment over the heads of the audience members who need to hear this story most. If it were not for my personal experience I would have missed out on various moments that really added character and nuance to this story.

Lastly, as I am in my mid/late 30’s I have a very vague memory of what life was like in the 1980’s. Unfortunately the world of the late 80’s was severely understated in this production to the point of unrecognition and time period confusion. It was as though the year 1987 was pasted on a contemporary mindset and nuance without actually moving the audience backwards in the time. There is a tone, an energy and a mindset to the 80’s that was not present. Obviously there were references made in regards to politics/politicians/etc. that an older audience would understand. However, making reference to a time gone by does not instantaneously transport an audience nor does it keep them.

With all the above being said I tip my hat to the cast,crew and creative team of this production. You should all be incredibly proud of the work you have done and I look forward to seeing a new and improved version of this powerful story on a Broadway stage.

Bwaybound24
#18Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/15/23 at 2:16pm

Being a first generation child of Mexican immigrants I was so proud to see something on stage that hits so close to home. 

The show has so much heart and potential! I can’t say enough kind words to the wonderful cast and creative team. 

I think the issue with the show is it does not dare to be more honest and realistic with the mother and daughter relationship. Justina is a powerhouse performer and she is not given the opportunity to shine even further. Justina has all the intensity to really capture the brutal relationship portrayed so well in the film. It is that tough love that many of us grew up on. Yes, Carmen mentions Ana’s weight here and there but I think the show is scared to tackle the trauma and hurt that she puts Ana through with her tough love. I beg the team to please not shy away from it. It’s not that Ana’s mother is a villain, but rather she is the driving force that helps Ana realize all the potential she has. It’s the intensity of their relationship and the defiance of these moments that make Ana embracing her body such a moving part of the story. I think that because this version of Ana is more confident, funny, and charismatic from the start, it makes the evolution of her character a littler harder to see.

I disagree on the happy ending of the show. I get that we don’t want Carmen to be mean and end the show on a sad note but let’s be real, that moment is what makes the movie so shocking and yet so incredibly real. Carmen not giving Ana her blessing is insanely brutal but such a vital part of the story. While Carmen is strong and stubborn her actions are done with love. I hope they can reconsider the ending. I am sure the team is clever enough to still have that tough moment and still redeem Carmen at the end. I repeat her actions come from love and all the hardships she’s had to live through. 

The songs are wonderful and fun. Such high energy! The music has that difficult task of using both Spanish and English words to cater to both English and Spanish speakers. I think the show does a good job of balancing both languages for the most part. I think the only cringe moment is the “Mole” part. I feel like it’s almost making fun of our culture in a stereotypical kind of way. Mole is not a saying in our world nor does it have any context related to our family’s bonds. It’s unnecessary. Having Ana sing that Mole phrase for her big song at the end of act 1 takes you out of the moment and the seriousness/sadness of Itzel.

I can not wait to see how this show develops and grows. You all have something so special! Keep it honest and don’t feel the need to sugar coat the reality of our lives for a gringo audience. Órale!

barcelona20
#19Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/15/23 at 3:19pm

What is going on here? lol. Is the show telling audience members to go on BWW to post their thoughts?  

OhHiii
#20Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/15/23 at 4:07pm

barcelona20 said: "What is going on here? lol. Is the show telling audience members to go on BWW to post their thoughts?"

Enough. You're making a fool of yourself.

barcelona20
#21Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/15/23 at 4:30pm

OhHiii said: "barcelona20 said: "What is going on here? lol. Is the show telling audience members to go on BWW to post their thoughts?"

Enough. You're making a fool of yourself.
"

You don't find it a bit strange that all these posters are brand new?

Updated On: 12/15/23 at 04:30 PM

dramamama611
#22Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 12/15/23 at 4:46pm

Well, yes. NOW I find it to be a bit ridiculous. What's that? 4 brand new posters all moved to write essays the day they decide to join?! 

petirrojo
#23Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 1/14/24 at 5:21pm

I hadn't been online in a while, but was kind of surprised to see the responses to my review. Did it not occur to those non-believers that I created the account BECAUSE I was so excited about this show that I wanted to get the word out about it? I haven't seen a lot of pre-Broadway shows before so thought word of mouth would be a good thing. 

Nothing I said was untrue or an exaggeration. I don't know anyone in the show or at ART. We did in fact pull out our phones at intermission (we didn't even consider the box office haha--does that show how Millennial we are?). We've now gone to see it several times. 

Still have a few quibbles with a few small things, but have felt it's gotten even stronger over time. Saw it for the last time last night--it's sold out now. 

VintageSnarker
#24Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 1/15/24 at 1:37pm

dramamama611 said: "However, body image is seldom mentioned in the book. There are a few cracks about the characters weight, but they don't go anywhere, she is given no struggle with body image to break free of it, yet alone encourage the other women."

I watched the movie on a plane after hearing about this show. I can't speak to the play. But one thing I appreciated (that I can see resonating with younger audience members) is that Ana's character is unapologetically progressive and doesn't deal with too much insecurity or questioning of her politics. It's there a little in the way America Ferrera reacts to things and especially how she interacts with her love interest but generally, she doesn't need to undergo a big journey to understand that the way her mom talks to her is wrong. I did think the mom's dialogue felt a little dated and heavy-handed in the movie so that might be something to focus on. I can't think of a better analogy than Newsies right now, but I think it's fine if the conflict is about whether she has the willpower to fight someone she knows is being oppressive (vs. a journey of understanding that oppression).

Also, random but does the grandpa get a song? And do they build up the parts of the other factory workers and the woman who contracts them to make dresses?

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#25Machado, Dacal, and more will lead REAL WOMEN HAVE CURVES musical at ART
Posted: 1/15/24 at 5:46pm

Saw this a few weeks ago and found it to be rather winning. There are definitely some bumps to be ironed out, but I could see this being a big hit in New York. To watch these women of size and color empower themselves and celebrate it, no matter how bumpy the journey to get there is at times, is SO heart warming and will win over even the most cynical grump. The score is one of the best I've heard in quite some time, on par (if not better than) Shucked. Lucy Godinez is going to be a big star; she's plucky, strong, and incredibly well-sung. Janet Machado and Florencia Cuenca are also lovely in their roles, though the book could do them each some favors.

Overall, the book could use some trimming. They are trying to say and do quite a lot; it can all fit but some economic cutting would be helpful. My big suggestions:

a new opening number (ideally something upbeat) that puts Ana front and center, setting the scene, is necessary. Right now the show starts very sleepily and we don't get to Ana, our leading lady, until a good ten minutes into the story and then it starts to gel.

The act 1 finale could also use a rewrite, or be scrapped and replaced. The intention behind it is right, it's just a little indirect and unfocused right now. It would also for it to build into the crisis with Izel, with all of the women singing together at the very end.

Mrs. Wright needs a greater presence in Act 1 both to give Estela stakes to play against and also to set up Mrs. Wright's big act 2 villanous/comic song-and-dance turn, which as of right now, doesn't work; the character is absent up until that point; only a voice over a phone that we, the audience do not hear, so it feels out of place/unearned. A couple short scenes of her calling the factory to apply pressure to Estela (a la the Wicked Witch of the West's small scenes in The Wizard of Oz) would do the trick.

Also, the book could give the mother just a little bit more nastiness - I see why they don't want to go too far, as there's a fine line; we should have a reason to want to see Ana forgive her. But as of right now, she doesn't feel resolved enough to be the monolith that Ana must overcome.

All said, If they get the kinks out, I could see this smashing. There are many moments that REALLY work (the title song is such an incredible moment). All of the pieces are there, just needs to be rearranged a bit.