Mean Girls Movie / Song List?

Ensemble1702855575
#1Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 12/17/23 at 11:31pm

Anyone at the Mean Girls press screening tonight / going? VERY curious about the song list, but am impatient to wait to find out. Please share below if you saw / do know

Globefan
#2Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 12/17/23 at 11:49pm

I'm dying to know what made it in and what didn't. 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#3Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 12/18/23 at 8:27am

I hope we get a better song than It Roars.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 12/21/23 at 08:27 AM

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#4Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 12/20/23 at 7:51pm

Via a Broadway World assessment of an EW roundtable interview with the cast. Also "Meet The Plastics" is briefly in the trailer. 

In The Movie: 

"Cautionary Tale"

"Stars" 

"Revenge Party"

"Sexy

"What's Wrong With Me?" 

"Rather Be Me"

"Someone Gets Hurt (Reprise)"

Not Making The Cut:

"Stupid With Love (Reprise)"

"More Is Better"

Updated On: 12/20/23 at 07:51 PM

PegasusOasis
#5Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 12/25/23 at 3:43pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "I hope we get a better song than It Roars."

A new song written by Reneé opens the movie following Cautionary Tale. She has also spoke about revisiting World Burn in the film - which could be what we hear in the trailer (same lyrics as Meet The Plastics). EW confirms World Burn & Someone Gets Hurt by her.

There are up to 11 songs from the musical on the soundtrack, so:

1. Cautionary Tale
  2. Stars
  3. Revenge Party
  4. Sexy
  5. What's Wrong With Me?
  6. Rather Be Me
  7. Someone Gets Hurt
  8. Someone Gets Hurt (Reprise)
  9. World Burn
  10. ??
  11. ??

I’d guess Stop (so Damian has a song) and Meet The Plastics or Apex Predator. Sad to see so many numbers cut Mean Girls Movie / Song List?

Updated On: 12/25/23 at 03:43 PM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#6Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 1/3/24 at 3:04pm

Mean Girls Movie / Song List?

Globefan
#7Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 1/3/24 at 3:21pm

I'm sure there wouldn't have been as many cuts if they'd been a big screen release from the beginning rather than being made for Paramount+

Jonathan Cohen
#8Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 1/3/24 at 3:47pm

"What Ifs" must be a completely new song. Based on the song list TaffyDavenport just posted, I think these are all the cut songs: 

It Roars

Where Do You Belong?

Stupid With Love (Reprise)

Fearless

Whose House Is This?

More Is Better

Do This Thing 

Stop

Updated On: 1/3/24 at 03:47 PM

chrishuyen
#9Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 1/3/24 at 3:52pm

I'm a bit surprised they kept Cautionary Tale, especially since they cut It Roars (which feels like more of an opening number to me).  More Is Better and Do This Thing being cut also surprise me a little, the latter more so, since they are more pivotal plot point songs, while I wonder if Sexy will be reworked to cut the direct address part, or if it'll have Karen addressing Cady or something in the beginning of the song.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#10Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 1/3/24 at 4:42pm

This is a movie that needs to be streamlined and most of the songs would have stopped it in its tracks. These cuts are a good thing.

JSquared2
#11Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 1/3/24 at 4:51pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "This is a movie that needs to be streamlined and most of the songs would have stopped it in its tracks. These cuts are a good thing."

That movie already exists.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377092/

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#12Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 1/3/24 at 5:33pm

As does the stage version? Go see that.  Like what are you trying to accomplish here with this stale gotcha.

A musical film is still a film, and can’t rely on the tropes of its staged counterpart. Just throwing it on film in its staged form would be disastrous. Some things don’t translate once those cameras start rolling. 

Alex Kulak2
#13Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 1/3/24 at 10:28pm

Jonathan Cohen said: ""What Ifs" must be a completely new song.Based on the song list TaffyDavenport just posted, I think these are all the cut songs:

It Roars

Where Do You Belong?

Fearless

Whose House Is This?

More Is Better

Do This Thing

Stop
"

Well this sucks. The only reason I had any interest in this movie was Jaquel Spivey as Damian, and they cut both of his songs.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#14Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 8:59am

A friend who loves the original film and loved the Broadway musical adaptation just attended an industry screening and hated this film adaptation. He feels it worked perfectly on stage as its own entity but putting it on film forces you to compare it to the original film whereas on stage you accepted it for what it was: a musical adaptation. He went with a few others who also felt the same. 

PegasusOasis
#15Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 1/5/24 at 7:26pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "Jonathan Cohen said: ""What Ifs" must be a completely new song.Based on the song list TaffyDavenport just posted, I think these are all the cut songs:

It Roars

Where Do You Belong?

Fearless

Whose House Is This?

More Is Better

Do This Thing

Stop
"

Well this sucks. The only reason I had any interest in this movie was Jaquel Spivey as Damian, and they cut both of his songs.
"

He is credited in Apex Predator so maybe they made that a Janis/Damian duet.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#16Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 1/8/24 at 4:46pm

Killer vocal performance:

Jonathan Cohen
#17Mean Girls Movie / Song List?
Posted: 1/8/24 at 11:23pm

I just got back from premiere (the spillover screen, we only saw the stars afterwards in the lobby) and here are some music specific spoilers: 

• There's music in the movie not listed on the soundtrack.  A version of Stupid in Love (Reprise) is in the movie, used in a totally different context. 
  • What Ifs is a straight up replacement for It Roars. I didn't love it or hate it. Generally any song that seemed especially Broadway-ish was removed from the movie. So it Roars which has kind of a Lion King vibe is out. Stop which references performing Beauty and The Beast is out. These are songs I generally liked on Broadway but wouldn't have worked with the tone of the movie. 
  • For people worried about not enough Jaquel Spivey singing, not only do Damian and Janis sing Apex Predator now, he sings a surprise song that I'm not going to spoil because it got possibly the biggest laugh of the movie. 
  • I largely liked the arrangements for the songs more in the movie than in the musical. Apex Predator for example was a more stripped down, strings heavy version. 
  • Aside from Aaron Samuels never singing, there's less Karen and Gretchen Wieners in the movie compared to the Broadway version. They're totally gone from Meet The Plastics because I think having three vocal soloists in a song reads as too Broadway. There's also no What's Wrong With Me (Reprise). 
  • Kevin G. has a rap that unless I'm spacing out is not on the soundtrack track list and is totally new.  
  • If you're like me and never liked "I See Stars", I still don't like it but thought the arrangement was a little better in the movie.  

Videos