pixeltracker

John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock

John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock

BorisTomashevsky
#1John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 11:45am

In broad daylight at gunpoint, and just after sunset with the rock. Tell me more about how NYC isn’t more dangerous now than five years ago?


https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/THE-NOTEBOOKs-Johh-Cardoza-Held-At-Gunpoint-on-Easter-20240401
 
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Michael-Stuhlbarg-Attacked-By-Homeless-Man-Ahead-of-PATRIOTS-Previews-20240401

Updated On: 4/1/24 at 11:45 AM

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#2John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 11:57am

BorisTomashevsky said: "In broad daylight at gunpoint, and just after sunset with the rock.Tell me more about how NYC isn’t more dangerous now than five years ago?


https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/THE-NOTEBOOKs-Johh-Cardoza-Held-At-Gunpoint-on-Easter-20240401

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Michael-Stuhlbarg-Attacked-By-Homeless-Man-Ahead-of-PATRIOTS-Previews-20240401
"

John is a class act. 

Hate to see both of these gentlemen go through what they had to go through.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 12:10pm

Except the only reason we're hearing about them is because they are broadway actors.  If they were regular Joe Shmoes, it's unlikely we would have known at all - or taken much notice except to think, tsk tsk.  


If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 12:36pm

I had two incidents in the past year. The second happened in broad daylight in Hell's Kitchen last spring. and my life was threatened. I walked back to my office and immediately started getting moving quotes. I have since relocated back out west.


Just give the world Love.

gibsons2
#5John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 12:40pm

dramamama611 said: "Except the only reason we're hearing about them is because they are broadway actors. If they were regular Joe Shmoes, it's unlikely we would have known at all - or taken much notice except to think, tsk tsk."

Well, at least maybe some will take these attacks seriously because famous people got assaulted. New Yorkers who talk about not feeling safe are accused of overreacting and being "right wing", especially by those who don't even live here in NYC. News about multiple women being randomly sucker punched are already forgotten. I've lived here for 20 years and never felt unsafe, not once. Things have changed after 2020. People have changed. I wish New Yorkers, especially women, have more legal self defense options, besides worthless pepper spray and subway shirts.

Updated On: 4/1/24 at 12:40 PM

spicemonkey
#6John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 1:03pm

I was attacked once last year. I’m still not feeling comfortable to return to the subway station where it happened.

 

In hate to hear words like “it’s just a normal day in New York, get over it” “you were clearly not not born here, we natives see these $hit happen all the time, what’s the big deal?”

things will get worse until the general public starts to take it seriously. 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#7John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 1:24pm

It's a city of insane wealth encroaching on areas where people have lived here forever and are getting squeezed out cause it's not affordable anymore.

Gentrification doesn't happen in a vacuum.

People are getting desperate. 

The response of "Somebody's gotta do something about these people" we've created an insane class divide. 

I'm absolutely empathetic to people who go through a traumatic experience like this cause no one should have to. It's horrible. 

But this is not a city of villains in the shadows. It's the city becoming wealthier and wealthier and this is cause and effect.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#8John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 1:31pm

It isn't just New York.  Almost every big city is seeing an increase in violent crimes from individuals with either mental health issues or drug addiction or both who are not getting the treatment they need.  Down the block from the building I work at in downtown Vancouver we had a nut attacking people with a hammer.  When I was in Las Vegas fall 2022 a guy killed two girls with a butcher knife right in front of The Wynn.

There is no intervention until after a tragic event, instead of getting these people the care they need before their mental states deteriorate to the point that they act violently. 


...
Updated On: 4/1/24 at 01:31 PM

gibsons2
#9John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 1:35pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "It's a city of insane wealth encroaching on areas where people have lived here forever and are getting squeezed out cause it's not affordable anymore.

Gentrification doesn't happen in a vacuum.

People are getting desperate.

The response of "Somebody's gotta do something about these people" we've created an insane class divide.

I'm absolutely empathetic to people who go through a traumatic experience like this cause no one should have to. It's horrible.

But this is not a city of villains in the shadows. It's the city becoming wealthier and wealthier and this is cause and effect.
"

What does the gentrification have to do with severe underfunding of mental health and homeless services and constant releasing of recidivists back into public? It's extremely difficult to be working poor and live in this city, but the absolute majority of low income people don't walk around assaulting others. Working low income and lower middle class people are the most common victims of these crimes. 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#10John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 1:40pm

gibsons2 said: "rattleNwoolypenguin said: "It's a city of insane wealth encroaching on areas where people have lived here forever and are getting squeezed out cause it's not affordable anymore.

Gentrification doesn't happen in a vacuum.

People are getting desperate.

The response of "Somebody's gotta do something about these people" we've created an insane class divide.

I'm absolutely empathetic to people who go through a traumatic experience like this cause no one should have to. It's horrible.

But this is not a city of villains in the shadows. It's the city becoming wealthier and wealthier and this is cause and effect.
"

What does the gentrification have to do withsevere underfunding of mental health and homeless services and constant releasing of recidivists back into public? It's extremely difficult to be working poor and live in this city, but the absolute majority of low income people don't walk around assaulting others. Working low income and lower middle class people are the most common victims of these crimes.
"

Umm, it’s all of that AND gentrification.

This is Washington Heights. Pull open Street Easy and see how much an apartment is there now.

people are getting desperate 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#11John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 1:54pm

Everything is in conversation with each other

Under funded resources, and an increasingly unlivable city.

hache2
#12John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 1:58pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "It's a city of insane wealth encroaching on areas where people have lived here forever and are getting squeezed out cause it's not affordable anymore.

Gentrification doesn't happen in a vacuum.

People are getting desperate.

The response of "Somebody's gotta do something about these people" we've created an insane class divide.

I'm absolutely empathetic to people who go through a traumatic experience like this cause no one should have to. It's horrible.

But this is not a city of villains in the shadows. It's the city becoming wealthier and wealthier and this is cause and effect.
"

I didn't realize either of the assailants were Jean ValJean. I guess it's all good then.

gibsons2
#13John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 2:05pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "gibsons2 said: "rattleNwoolypenguin said: "It's a city of insane wealth encroaching on areas where people have lived here forever and are getting squeezed out cause it's not affordable anymore.

Gentrification doesn't happen in a vacuum.

People are getting desperate.

The response of "Somebody's gotta do something about these people" we've created an insane class divide.

I'm absolutely empathetic to people who go through a traumatic experience like this cause no one should have to. It's horrible.

But this is not a city of villains in the shadows. It's the city becoming wealthier and wealthier and this is cause and effect.
"

What does the gentrification have to do withsevere underfunding of mental health and homeless services and constant releasing of recidivists back into public? It's extremely difficult to be working poor and live in this city, but the absolute majority of low income people don't walk around assaulting others. Working low income and lower middle class people are the most common victims of these crimes.
"

Umm, it’s all of that AND gentrification.

This is Washington Heights. Pull open Street Easy and see how much an apartment is there now.

people are getting desperate
"

This is not Washington Heights. The Notebook actor got attacked at 145th street Dunkin Donuts in Hamilton Heights, the area which has been very heavily gentrified for the past 20 years or more, without people being attacked in a broad day light.

Updated On: 4/1/24 at 02:05 PM

rattleNwoolypenguin
#14John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 2:34pm

gibsons2 said: "rattleNwoolypenguin said: "gibsons2 said: "rattleNwoolypenguin said: "It's a city of insane wealth encroaching on areas where people have lived here forever and are getting squeezed out cause it's not affordable anymore.

Gentrification doesn't happen in a vacuum.

People are getting desperate.

The response of "Somebody's gotta do something about these people" we've created an insane class divide.

I'm absolutely empathetic to people who go through a traumatic experience like this cause no one should have to. It's horrible.

But this is not a city of villains in the shadows. It's the city becoming wealthier and wealthier and this is cause and effect.
"

What does the gentrification have to do withsevere underfunding of mental health and homeless services and constant releasing of recidivists back into public? It's extremely difficult to be working poor and live in this city, but the absolute majority of low income people don't walk around assaulting others. Working low income and lower middle class people are the most common victims of these crimes.
"

Umm, it’s all of that AND gentrification.

This is Washington Heights. Pull open Street Easy and see how much an apartment is there now.

people are getting desperate
"

This is not Washington Heights. The Notebook actor got attacked at 145th street Dunkin Donuts in Hamilton Heights, the area which has been very heavily gentrified for the past 20 years or more, without people being attacked in a broad day light.
"

I don't know what to tell ya. This could've happened anywhere in the city.

Ask a woman.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#15John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 2:39pm

How about we take a chunk of the NYPD's astronomical budget and put it toward getting the people who commit these acts off the street? The person who attacked Stuhlbarg has a history of violent aggression and probably untreated mental illness/addiction. I would not be surprised if that was the case for Cardoza's assailant too. These were absolutely preventable situations if the city actually cared about deterrence.

 


"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 4/1/24 at 02:39 PM

gibsons2
#16John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 2:45pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "gibsons2 said: "rattleNwoolypenguin said: "gibsons2 said: "rattleNwoolypenguin said: "It's a city of insane wealth encroaching on areas where people have lived here forever and are getting squeezed out cause it's not affordable anymore.

Gentrification doesn't happen in a vacuum.

People are getting desperate.

The response of "Somebody's gotta do something about these people" we've created an insane class divide.

I'm absolutely empathetic to people who go through a traumatic experience like this cause no one should have to. It's horrible.

But this is not a city of villains in the shadows. It's the city becoming wealthier and wealthier and this is cause and effect.
"

What does the gentrification have to do withsevere underfunding of mental health and homeless services and constant releasing of recidivists back into public? It's extremely difficult to be working poor and live in this city, but the absolute majority of low income people don't walk around assaulting others. Working low income and lower middle class people are the most common victims of these crimes.
"

Umm, it’s all of that AND gentrification.

This is Washington Heights. Pull open Street Easy and see how much an apartment is there now.

people are getting desperate
"

This is not Washington Heights. The Notebook actor got attacked at 145th street Dunkin Donuts in Hamilton Heights, the area which has been very heavily gentrified for the past 20 years or more, without people being attacked in a broad day light.
"

I don't know what to tell ya. This could've happened anywhere in the city.

Ask a woman.
"

I am a woman who lives in the area where the attack has happened. I think I'd know. 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#17John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 3:55pm

"Almost every big city is seeing an increase in violent crimes"

Except that's not true. Most recent statistics from the FBI show that violent crime is down. The fearmongering is what makes it seem the violent crime is up. We know about the random punching because of Tiktok. We know about these incidents because they are Broadway celebrities. These things happened before Tiktok we just didn't hear about them in the same way. They weren't covered the same way. 

If you don't feel safe, that's valid. I wouldn't live somewhere I didn't feel safe regardless of what the statistics say. Feeling safe is not necessarily tied to facts. But. You also can't claim facts when the statistics don't back you up. 


Jesus saves. I spend.

hache2
#18John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 4:37pm

KJisgroovy said: ""Almost every big city is seeing an increase in violent crimes"

Except that's not true. Most recent statistics from the FBI show that violent crime is down. The fearmongering is what makes it seem the violent crime is up. We know about the random punching because of Tiktok. We know about these incidents because they are Broadway celebrities. These things happened before Tiktok we just didn't hear about them in the same way. They weren't covered the same way.

If you don't feel safe, that's valid. I wouldn't live somewhere I didn't feel safe regardless of what the statistics say. Feeling safe is not necessarily tied to facts. But. You also can't claim facts when the statistics don't back you up.
"

Statistics show NYC violent crime is down from the recent historic high of 2022 but still well above 2014-2021 rates. Regardless everyone can see the deterioration of NYC over the last few years. 

 

 

 

gibsons2
#19John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 4:40pm

KJisgroovy said: ""Almost every big city is seeing an increase in violent crimes"

Except that's not true. Most recent statistics from the FBI show that violent crime is down. The fearmongering is what makes it seem the violent crime is up. We know about the random punching because of Tiktok. We know about these incidents because they are Broadway celebrities. These things happened before Tiktok we just didn't hear about them in the same way. They weren't covered the same way.

If you don't feel safe, that's valid. I wouldn't live somewhere I didn't feel safe regardless of what the statistics say. Feeling safe is not necessarily tied to facts. But. You also can't claim facts when the statistics don't back you up.
"

Bless your heart for thinking that NYPD crime statistics are not manipulated/reclassified, especially given the historically high funding they have obtained during the past couple of years. You sound like somebody who is upset about those pesky female TikTokers who made videos about their assaults public and ruined the rosy picture for you. 

Updated On: 4/1/24 at 04:40 PM

spicemonkey
#20John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 4:47pm

KJisgroovy said: ""Almost every big city is seeing an increase in violent crimes"

Except that's not true. Most recent statistics from the FBI show that violent crime is down. The fearmongering is what makes it seem the violent crime is up. We know about the random punching because of Tiktok. We know about these incidents because they are Broadway celebrities. These things happened before Tiktok we just didn't hear about them in the same way. They weren't covered the same way.

If you don't feel safe, that's valid. I wouldn't live somewhere I didn't feel safe regardless of what the statistics say. Feeling safe is not necessarily tied to facts. But. You also can't claim facts when the statistics don't back you up.
"

Some questions we need to answer before we look at any statistics  : what is the criteria for those statistics? has it been changed / modified recently (ex: what counts towards the inflation rate is constantly being modified). 

Updated On: 4/1/24 at 04:47 PM

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#21John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 5:08pm

BorisTomashevsky said: "In broad daylight at gunpoint, and just after sunset with the rock.Tell me more about how NYC isn’t more dangerous now than five years ago?"

This can only be determined from statistical analysis of the relevant city-wide data, not from examining particular incidents.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#22John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 5:08pm

gibsons2 said: “…but the absolute majority of low income people don't walk around assaulting others."

Nor do those with mental health problems. It’s also too simple an answer; it’s all of these things.

 

gibsons2
#23John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 5:12pm

TheQuibbler said: "gibsons2 said: “…but the absolute majority of low income people don't walk around assaulting others."

Nor do those with mental health problems. It’s also too simple an answer; it’s all of these things.


"

Have you read my entire statement or you're just pulling out incomplete quotes?

bwaypotato
#24John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 5:26pm

Y’all aren’t going to like this but whatever. You can thank the Democrats for allowing crime to grow and ruin NYC. They eliminated bail and that needs to return. The voters of NYC need to vote out the Democrats ruining the city. 

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#25John Cardoza held at gunpoint, Michael Stuhlbarg attacked with a rock
Posted: 4/1/24 at 5:30pm

bwaypotato said: "Y’all aren’t going to like this but whatever. You can thank the Democrats for allowing crime to grow and ruin NYC. They eliminated bail and that needs to return. The voters of NYC need to vote out the Democrats ruining the city."

And vote for whom? Aside from the fact that places run by Republicans aren't statistically safer than those run by Democrats, it's been impossible for decent people to vote for Republicans since at least 2004, when the party leveraged homophobia to ensure Bush's reelection.


Latest Posts