pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 4:40pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 5/19/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: UNCLE VANYA (11%), LEMPICKA (9.6%), THE GREAT GATSBY (6.9%), APPROPRIATE (3.8%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (3.8%), WICKED (3.7%), & JULIET (2.8%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (2.5%), HADESTOWN (2.1%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (2.1%), PATRIOTS (1.6%), THE NOTEBOOK (1.5%), A BEAUTIFUL NOISE, THE NEIL DIAMOND MUSICAL (1.4%), SIX (1.3%), MOTHER PLAY (1%), THE OUTSIDERS (0.8%), STEREOPHONIC (0.7%), WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (0.6%), THE LION KING (0.5%), MARY JANE (0.4%), THE WIZ (0.3%), HAMILTON (0.2%), CABARET AT THE KIT KAT CLUB (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: THE HEART OF ROCK AND ROLL (-8%), CHICAGO (-7.4%), ILLINOISE (-3.9%), THE WHO'S TOMMY (-3.6%), ALADDIN (-2.2%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-1.6%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-0.9%), HELL'S KITCHEN (-0.5%), SUFFS (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 4:49pm

ALAS, THEY ARE HERE…and I don’t feel like there is anything novel worth remarking on

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 4:49pm

Finally!

Solid week for most of the shows, with some respectable average ticket prices. Nice to see Broadway as a whole making more money this time of year compared to '22 and '23.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 5/22/24 at 04:49 PM

BorisTomashevsky
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 4:52pm

The Heart of Rock n Roll is very nearly not beating.

bigbelterbaby
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 4:59pm

Nice gain for Appropriate, the press Sarah Paulson has been doing is paying off. Rachel McAdams should probably do a little more press to get Mary Jane numbers up. 
Illinoise is getting their numbers up too. 
Outsiders not in the million dollar club but so close, hopefully back up next week. 
You can kinda tell the numbers are down for some long running shows as people flock to the new ones, but hopefully not enough to make a difference. Chicago for example has Jinkx coming back and Ariana, Hadestown just announced new cast. 
Patriots definitely hasn’t caught on but Netflix is producing and maybe it will be more enthralling as a tv movie or series. Heart of Rock N Roll…they are doing press still - props to Huey Lewis and friends for keeping the bus running 🏃 and keeping people employed. I do think if they hang on til June their numbers will be better. 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.
Updated On: 5/22/24 at 04:59 PM

Ensemble1716393490
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 5:02pm

BorisTomashevsky said: "The Heart of Rock n Roll is very nearly not beating."

You must live a sad life if all you have to look forward to is commenting about this show’s numbers on multiple threads. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed The Heart of Rock and Roll over most things this season so I’m glad this show is still going. I also agree that if this show holds on a few weeks longer until school is out and summer travel starts the theatre will fill up more. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 5:04pm

Another solid week for most shows.

The dramatic increase for Stereophonic continues to be incredible to behold. It's less dramatic, but Suffs also seems to be turning into a word of mouth hit. Illinoise also saw a nice bump. Three shows I'm rooting for!

I continue to be shocked by the performance of The Great Gatsby and Water for Elephants. I would've pegged both as mega flops, but here they are in the $1 million club week after week. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 5:08pm

I really want Heart of Rock and Roll to stay open so I can see it this summer but I just struggle to see any path forward. It's not like it's climbing slowly but surely or anything like that. It just sadly doesn't seem to be catching on at all.

hearthemsing22
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 5:08pm

Continue to be impressed by Water for Elephants. I wonder if Huey is funneling money into Heart of Rock and Roll or something which is keeping them from announcing a closing. 

BorisTomashevsky
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 5:10pm

Ensemble1716393490 said: "You must live a sad life if all you have to look forward to is commenting about this show’s numbers on multiple threads."

This, from someone who keeps track of who posts what, when. I never even look at anyone’s username let alone try to remember them. But sounds like a great life you’ve got if you’re shaking your fist at the sky and cursing BorisTomashevsky lol.

Updated On: 5/22/24 at 05:10 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 5:14pm

Last week marked the 52nd and final week of this incredibly busy 2023-24 Broadway season. Per Playbill:

• 71 productions were open at some point — 39 of them were new — and 12.3 million people saw a Broadway show.
  • Total attendance and percent capacity both rose slightly from last season, but total gross dipped by about $40K.
  • The average Broadway ticket price decreased by $3 compared to last season ($125.27 vs. $128.43).

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 5/22/24 at 05:14 PM

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 5:15pm

BorisTomashevsky said: "Ensemble1716393490 said: "You must live a sad life if all you have to look forward to is commenting about this show’s numbers on multiple threads."

This, from someone who keeps track of who posts what, when. I never even look at anyone’s username let alone try to remember them. But sounds like a great life you’ve got if you’re shaking your fist at the sky and cursing BorisTomashevsky lol.
"

You have quite a memorable username. It's not that hard to remember what you say. Or anyone with a unique username says, for that matter.

Ensemble1716393490
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 5:17pm

/

Updated On: 5/22/24 at 05:17 PM

BroadwayPatriot
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 5:20pm

jkcohen626 said: "Another solid week for most shows.

The dramatic increase for Stereophonic continues to be incredible to behold. It's less dramatic, but Suffs also seems to be turning into a word of mouth hit. Illinoise also saw a nice bump. Three shows I'm rooting for!

I continue to be shocked by the performance of The Great Gatsby and Water for Elephants. I would've pegged both as mega flops, but here they are in the $1 million club week after week.
"

Gatsby is a solid tourist kind of show and they use the marketing techniques very well - taking advantage of the URL known as Broadway.com , it’s all about how you utilize google. Think tourists , from another country , typing in Broadway into google, they get Broadway.com and Gatsby all over the site . They know what they are doing in that department - SEO expertise 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 5:56pm

BorisTomashevsky said: "The Heart of Rock n Roll is very nearly not beating."

Honestly shocked they haven't announced a closing date yet. Memorial Day weekend is typically quiet for most of Broadway. Just close it up already.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 6:11pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Continue to be impressed by Water for Elephants. I wonder if Huey is funneling money into Heart of Rock and Roll or something which is keeping them from announcing a closing."

Huey seems HEAVILY invested in keeping this show going. He recently did an interview on GMA where he seemed super enthusiastic about Broadway and how he got hooked after seeing and later starring in Chicago.

This isn’t like Once Upon… where Britney gave faint praise, but wasn’t out there talking the show up. Huey’s dogged pursuit of an audience might pay off if they stay open long enough for A Beautiful Noise to close up show.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Ensemble1696584123
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 6:17pm

Obviously not about these specific grosses, but Cabaret did a performance yesterday that was never on the schedule on Seat Geek when I was looking at tickets. Was it a buyout performance?

MezzoDiva47
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 7:36pm

Ensemble1716393490 said: "BorisTomashevsky said: "The Heart of Rock n Roll is very nearly not beating."

You must live a sad life if all you have to look forward to is commenting about this show’s numbers on multiple threads. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed The Heart of Rock and Roll over most things this season so I’mglad this show is still going. I also agree that if this show holds on a few weeks longer until school is out and summer travel starts the theatre will fill up more.
"

u really cant accuse someone of sour grapes for stating the obvious

lowest grossing 8-show production for the week

has only once broken $350k

half the gross of lempicka though that is due to closing week sales

zero tony nominations

great for those kept employed but it is head scratching producing to be sure

the summer months will not create the necessary surge for this to turn one penny of profit

small plays would be panicking about these grosses

not sure why a bleak assessment of its future is beyond the pale

BETTY22
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 7:59pm

How is HEART staying open/

It's losing $300,000 a week from its very first preview....that adds up FAST

Blindbutlerdeafmaid
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 8:55pm

If they're losing $300k a week (and I'm not saying that they are but, IF they are), they've lost $2.1 million. 

If they were properly capitalized, they'd have raised $2 million to $3 million for their reserve, $2 million to $3 million for advertising, and planned to spend $180,000 a week in advertising and publicity.

There's no way that they spent $2 - $3 million in advertising before opening and they're not spending $180,000 on marketing and advertising a week. 

They won't be applying anything to their capitalization, that's for sure, but they shouldn't be to the end of their cash yet - allowing them to have given a solid showing for the road conference this week without needing to rely on Huey Lewis to personally prop it up. (Which seems odd even for someone so invested as he is.)

Maybe they'll post now that the tour conference is done, or maybe they'll have some cash left and try to get some of the summer tourist business. 

Either way: it's still on sale, so they haven't told the Shuberts that they're throwing in the towel yet.

Updated On: 5/22/24 at 08:55 PM

BoringBoredBoard40
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 10:41pm

HOME making $20,000 a performance is absolutely mindblowing, what the hell are they doing over there?

starlightlocamotion
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/22/24 at 11:11pm

A BEAUTIFUL NOISE being above & JULIET is something to take notice of ... & JULIET seems to be starting to run out of steam, though stunt casting could be a significant help for them. BACK TO THE FUTURE starting to dip in the grosses as well ... I think both shows are safe till January.

bowtie7
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/23/24 at 12:24am

Any idea why the Moulin Rouge per ticket average dropped so much ($113.71 this week vs. $146.90 last week)? That seems a strange drop for a long run show.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/19/24
Posted: 5/23/24 at 12:38am

bowtie7 said: "Any idea why the Moulin Rouge per ticket average dropped so much ($113.71 this week vs. $146.90 last week)? That seems a strange drop for a long run show."

Boy George isn’t in the cast anymore. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Videos