pixeltracker

What would happen if Parade was mounted today?

What would happen if Parade was mounted today?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/8/24 at 6:37am

Do you think if the Parade revival was on Broadway today vs when it was, there would be controversy given current world events? I’m not asking if there should be controversy or not (I don’t think there should be as a moral principle). I’m more asking what you think would happen.  

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/8/24 at 06:37 AM

Dreamboy3
#2What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/8/24 at 7:59am

Not at all. Parade has nothing to do with Israel. You could ask the same thing about Leopoldstadt and the answer would be the same. 

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#3What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/8/24 at 8:46am

I’m sorry mate, but the question has no relevance to anything. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/8/24 at 9:02am

Yes that is right in theory but that’s not what I’m observing re: attitudes towards Jews even outside Israel right now. It seems pretty brutal. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#5What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/8/24 at 9:14am

As that Time Out article in the other thread reminded me, previews of the revival opened with Neo-Nazi protestors passing out antisemitic information. While I don't think it would've stopped the production from being mounted, I wonder if that's ever part of the conversation when deciding when to mount.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

PipingHotPiccolo
#6What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/8/24 at 9:37am

binau said: "Do you think if the Parade revival was on Broadway today vs when it was, there would be controversy given current world events? I’m not asking if there should be controversy or not (I don’t think there should be as a moral principle). I’m more asking what you think would happen."

They're "protesting" at synagogues and hospitals-- i have no doubt there would be protests at this, too. But like the neonazis that protested last year, they'd have their moment, and they'd disappear once properly ignored.

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#7What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/8/24 at 10:20am

In addition to what other posters said above, this question feels especially irrelevant considering we just had "Prayer for the French Republic" on Broadway in January. That play actually *does* deal with Jews' relationship to Israel/Zionism, but to my knowledge there wasn't any backlash, protests, or safety threats.

Updated On: 6/8/24 at 10:20 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#8What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/8/24 at 11:07am

I dont know that I would totally dismiss this question. Antisemites have long had a fixation on Leo Frank, but the case’s impact is newly relevant again because it resulted in the formation of the Anti-Defamation League, which has come under heavy criticism and scrutiny because of its defense of Israel and its expansion of the definition of antisemitism to include criticism of Israel.  
I could easily see a situation in which this specific show causes more of an impact if it were done today instead of last year. Professional idiot Candace Owens just recently tweeted (extremely offensively, inaccurately) about Frank and the connection of these to the ADL. The ADL is being heavily protested by pro-Palestinian activists, as well- and they’re protesting many organizations and individual they deem “Zionist”. It’s not far of a leap to imagine the production gaining unwanted attention from highly energized and more extreme activists. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 6/8/24 at 11:07 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/8/24 at 11:13am

The other thing I've been wondering about is if the audience reaction would have been different - and by that I simply mean less interest. Would it be 'cool' for young Ben Platt fans right now to engage in a story that is very Jewish? I'm not trying to say it's literally true and thus I also am interested to hear from people that think it doesn't matter of course. It's just very striking to see that attitudes towards Israel seem to subtly affect perception of Jewish culture and Jews too for some people. The stories of US college campuses etc. I could be reading too much into it but I do wonder if something meaningful is happening right now and it's not just as coldly intellectual as pointing out the truth that of course there is a difference between Israel and Jewish culture/Jews. I don't know if it's as easy for everyone to intellectualise that. 

theatrekidnerd
#10What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/8/24 at 9:19pm

I’m sorry but this is the stupidest (and not to mention antisemitic) question i've seen asked on here??? Like?? There was literally a protest outside the theater on the first preview. And the show was on Broadway less than a year ago. 

Antisemitism is at its peak right now, and there doesn’t need to be a major world event for a show to have different feedback / controversy Like the person above said it has nothing to do with israel. However the reason it did so well was not only Ben Platt, who is Jewish, but there are audiences CRAVING Jewish stories right now on Broadway.

Please think before you send an idiotic message like this again.

verywellthensigh
#11What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/8/24 at 11:22pm

Remember kids: Just because they're Jewish, doesn't mean they support the genocide in Israel.

PipingHotPiccolo
#12What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/9/24 at 12:09am

theatrekidnerd said: "I’m sorry but this is the stupidest(and not to mention antisemitic) questioni've seen asked on here??? Like?? There was literally a protest outside the theater on the first preview. And the show was on Broadway less than a year ago.

Antisemitism is at its peak right now, and there doesn’t need to be a major world event for a show to have different feedback / controversy Like the person above said it has nothing to do with israel. However the reason it did so well was not only Ben Platt, who is Jewish, but there are audiences CRAVING Jewish stories right now on Broadway.

"

Please ignore this insane response, and ask whatever questions you want. Its a valid question to which we will never know the answer-- these protesters want attention and certainly do not limit themselves to protesting governments or state institutions. but the point above re French Republic is a good one- suggests their focus is not on broadway. 

chrishuyen
#13What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/9/24 at 1:23am

fwiw, and this is purely anecdotal, I know people whose opinions have soured on Prayer for the French Republic in the wake of the Israel protests and felt less inclined to see shows like Harmony because they already felt like there was enough Jewish representation in the media and would rather see other shows.  Parade feels different to me though because while it's a show about Jewishness and antisemitism, it's not tied directly to Israel or something like the Holocaust that continues to be the main revolving point of a lot of other Jewish shows.  And I actually wonder how the antisemetic protests would come off now when so many other protests are against Israel (would people be able to draw the line between antisemitism and anti-Zionism?), or if it would change anything at all.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#14What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/9/24 at 3:03am

theatrekidnerd said: "I’m sorry but this is the stupidest(and not to mention antisemitic) questioni've seen asked on here??? Like?? There was literally a protest outside the theater on the first preview. And the show was on Broadway less than a year ago.

"

LOL gurl, I've been posting here for 16 years, which I think is possibly your age in real life. I'm not about to change - and in fact I think you need to think a little bit yourself because you don't seem to understand how a conversation or a dialogue actually works. I posted the question in genuine good faith, and if people such as yourself don't think there are any factors or changes relevant to the potential issue I'm talking about then I'm completely open to listening and thinking about that. This is how a two-way conversation works. Your response is so childish that it certainly crosses the line for what I think is acceptable. It's rude but it's mostly just boring.

If I knew what the actual answer was I would have made a claim not posed a question, I'm not so narcissistic and arrogant that I literally think I know everything. I am glad that it seems to be easier for you, well why don't you actually help then instead of being so cringeworthy. . 

Updated On: 6/9/24 at 03:03 AM

OhHiii
#15What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/9/24 at 7:07am

binau said: "theatrekidnerd said: but there are audiences CRAVING Jewish stories right now on Broadway."

Harmony would like to have a word…

PipingHotPiccolo
#16What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/9/24 at 2:15pm

chrishuyen said: "I know people whose opinions have soured on Prayer for the French Republic in the wake of the Israel protests and felt less inclined to see shows like Harmony because they already felt like there was enough Jewish representation in the media and would rather see other shows."

I know this will come off as hostile to you, one of the few consistently smart/sane voices on these boards, but if i heard someone say they did not want to see a show about the Black or LGBTQ experience because "there was already enough" of that in the media, I'd very loudly call that person the bigot that they are. 

chrishuyen
#17What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/9/24 at 2:34pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "chrishuyen said: "I know people whose opinions have soured on Prayer for the French Republic in the wake of the Israel protests and felt less inclined to see shows like Harmony because they already felt like there was enough Jewish representation in the media and would rather see other shows."

I know this will come off as hostile to you, one of the few consistently smart/sane voices on these boards, but if iheard someone say they did not want to see a show about the Black or LGBTQ experience because "there was already enough" of that in the media, I'd very loudly call that person the bigot that they are.
"

I appreciate the disclaimer, but I absolutely agree with you--I didn't say I was friends with these people after all ;)--but it's still a perspective that may exist regardless of how bigoted it is.

PipingHotPiccolo
#18What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/9/24 at 3:02pm

Hence my disclaimer- i didnt want to sound like I was "coming for" you- i too have heard similar comments, particularly about French Republic (another play about the Jews, its too much) from the very people that would lose their sh*t if they heard anyone say that about, say, The Prom, or The Color Purple. In the last eight months my own politics have seriously been adjusted/realigned as I see such rampant ignorance present itself in a way I genuinely thought reserved for MAGA types. 

but i digress. the comment you shared is representative of why i think the original question by Binau isnt a bad one at all. And I for one am interested in any play/production exploring any topic, if explored interestingly and honestly. Too much to ask for, i guess. 

hearthemsing22
#19What would happen if Parade was mounted today?
Posted: 6/10/24 at 9:57am

This makes me wonder how the tour will be received. 

Videos