News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow

Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#0Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 5:50pm

Out of these two singers which do you think is the best? For those who are not good at names here is what they are known for.

Michael Ball (marius in Les Miserables)
Anthony Warlow (Jekyll and Hyde in JEKYLL AND HYDE COMPLETE SCORE).

My personal favorite is Anthony Warlow. While I think Michael Ball is a great singer, Anthony Warlow is a GOD. He is classified as a baritone but can hit unbelievably high. He also puts so much passion into his singing and his voice is so clear. If I wasn't straight, I would so stalk him.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

sycorax
#1re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 6:54pm

Warlow. Ball is a great actor and everything, but the lack of training in his voice just bugs. I could listen to Warlow sing all day, I'm nuts about him--like you said, his voice is so clear and SO powerful.

Of course, you're talking to a former Les Mis obsesee who still pops the CSR in and goes straight to Warlow's solo in One Day More. Gives me chills every time.

"It means that the other guys didn't win!" --Jeff Marx on what winning a Tony would mean to him

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#2re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 6:54pm

I believe that Anthony was in the Complete Symphonic Recording for Les Miz as well. He played Enjolras (I could be wrong though)

hmmmmm...thats a tougie. But I'd have to say Micheal although I haven;t heard the full version of J&H. Must go out and buy it first.

sharon1
#3re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 7:24pm

I think both are fantastic. But they have a common bond also. They are both not as recognized as they they both probably deserve. Like BSM here. Considering their respective talents they should both be major players everywhere. I know some people don't like Warlow and some don't like Ball but I feel that they both have yet to hit their peaks vocally or dramatically. I feel that either would have made a terrific Phantom in the film, or would be great in any of the upcoming musicals being planned. They both perform to great reviews in concerts. Sure I have a favorite. I just don't think they are as fully appreciated as they should be. Updated On: 6/27/04 at 07:24 PM

jo
#4re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 7:24pm

Michael and Anthony have sung identical songs in some of their albums - so it is a little easier to make a comparison. Michael happens to be my favourite singer. While Anthony is classically trained, Michael has a natural gift in his golden voice. Michael's repertoire is also wider as he has sang a number of songs in different musical genres. I also think that Michael is one of the best "acting" singers in musical theatre - his interpretation is lyrics-driven and he uses his voice to heighten the emotions in a song. I have seen him perform onstage in concerts as well and he is electric - with his powerhouse voice and lively stage presence. I think Anthony, another of my favourite musical theatre singers, and whom I have seen only in The Main Event concert on DVD does not exude the same appeal on the concert stage. I have not seen him perform in musical theatre though, while I have seen Michael in ASPECTS OF LOVE, PASSION, and CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG.

Both are extremely talented and a joy to listen to.
Updated On: 6/27/04 at 07:24 PM

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#5re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 7:40pm

I think Warlow has a great voice and I'd love to see him onstage but I think his albums of showtunes are downright dull. Everything's perfect and precise and he takes some nice notes but, in the end, I think his recordings are sort of cold and uninteresting. I don't get that feeling from his 'Jekyll and Hyde' recording where I think he brings life to a bunch of completely lifeless songs. I like Ball's voice but he hasn't done an album that's especially impressed me either. Again, it's all perfectly well done, I'm just not that interested in it other than to listen to some basically satisfactory renditions of some pretty good songs.

jo
#6re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 7:44pm

Have you listened to ASPECTS OF LOVE, JohnPopa?

That is my favourite album of Michael, whether solo or cast recording.

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#7re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 7:45pm

I agree with you in a few things and completely repsect your opinion, but I need to correct you on one thing. You said, "repertoire is also wider as he has sang a number of songs in different musical genres." If you listen to his cd's, Anthony sings, Opera (in which is was trained), musical theatre, Big Band, Operetta, Pop, Old standards. I mean, the only thing this man hasn't done is rap........which by the way would be very interesting to hear. But, I completely understand where you are coming from. If it wasn't for Anthony I would be praising Michael Ball until I die.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#8re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 7:47pm

JohnPopa, I agree that their cd's are not as "full of life" as they should be, but the thrill is to hear them live. OMG. Anthony Warlow in "The Main Event" is nothing close to BRILLIANT. and Michael Ball is SPECTACULAR in his live concert show. I think Both men need to be in an actual show together (and not just a recording) and show the world what real talent is.

boborunstheshow Profile Photo
boborunstheshow
#9re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 8:05pm

Without the long jibber jabber, i like Warlow better.

Its Aberqurque NM for me. Speaking Spanish. Be Back September 06.

jo
#10re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 8:06pm

Yes, I am aware that Anthony is classically trained as an opera singer ( I have a DVD copy of Fleidermaus, the English version where he sings the lead role with the Australian Opera ) and I have all his albums ( two of FACE THE MUSIC, by accident re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow)... Michael has dabbled in light opera when he sang some songs from MAGIC FLUTE with Lesley Garrett, but has also sung some jazz-y numbers and some really lively songs ( particularly in the " party time" part in his concerts). And if you have seen his ALONE TOGETHER show at the Donmar or its DVD -that really tells you how wide his command of musical genres can be.

But I think there is really no debate on the talents of these two extremely gifted singers. Let us enjoy both! Updated On: 6/27/04 at 08:06 PM

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#11re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 8:12pm

AMEN...HALLELUJAH

sharon1
#12re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 9:03pm

I agree Jo. Let's enjoy them both. If ever given the chance Updated On: 6/28/04 at 09:03 PM

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#13re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 11:23pm

I love Anthony Warlow, having only recently been introduced to him by a friend. I heard that he had/has throat cancer. Is that indeed true? How terrible, if so.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#14re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/27/04 at 11:32pm

yeah, he had throat cancer, but beat it. Now he is better than ever. His voice has actually gotten higher since the cancer and in my opinion, better. WARLOW FOREVER!!!

rockfenris2005
#15re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/28/04 at 8:40am

Michael Ball doesn't have any balls.
Anthony Warlow will wage war on the theatre and conquer it!

How can you compair a legend to that.... THING!!!

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Faith2 Profile Photo
Faith2
#16re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/28/04 at 9:06am

Michael Ball... re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow

There is a curious paradox that no one can explain; Who understands the secret of the reaping of the grain, Who understands why spring is born out of winter's laboring pain, Or why we all must die a bit before we grow again. -from "The Fantasticks"

Lori
#17re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/28/04 at 9:09am

Ditto, Faith2!

Although I do agree that Anthony Warlow as a fabulous voice as well. I enjoy the fact that Michael's voice is "untrained". It always sounds as if he is singing from the heart.

"Take Care! When I am thwarted I am very terrible!"

NDS34111
#18re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/28/04 at 9:28am

Lori, Faith2 and Jo, you all know my answer...Michael. The fact that his voice is not trained and sounds so angelic has won me over. Anthony sings well and is not to be denied credit on anything he does but, Michael will always be my favorite!

KarenNYC Profile Photo
KarenNYC
#19re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/28/04 at 2:08pm

Anthony Warlow, hands down.

I would give just about anything to see that man sing live. If only he'd do something in New York. Even just a concert. Something, anything.

"The applause of all but very good men is no more than the precise measure of their possible hostility."

sharon1
#20re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/28/04 at 2:15pm

I think he just gave a couple of concerts down under. But I don't remember with whom. It might have been with Lesley Garrett Another fine voice. I think his were right before Michael Ball's. I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#21re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/28/04 at 10:32pm

They both have beautiful voices, but I'm voting Michael. "Golden voice" is a very good description; there's something very unique about Michael Ball's voice, it seems to "fill out" the melodies well (hard to describe what that means). Anthony Warlow's voice is more conventional in tone, but Michael Ball's is instantly recognizable and rather heavenly.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

kec Profile Photo
kec
#22re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/29/04 at 1:08am

I haven't heard Anthony WArlow, so I can't really make any comparison. But I do enjoy Michael's voice.

jo
#23re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/29/04 at 1:20am

Kec -

If you happen to have the COMPLETE SYMPHONIC RECORDING of LES MISERABLES ( one of three albums where Michael sings the role of Marius - the others are the Original London Cast Recording and the 10th Anniversary Concert) - Anthony sings the role of Enjolras.

Anthony is a classically trained singer ( he still sings the occasional opera or operetta) who crossed over to musical theatre. In his native Australia (re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow), he was in Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera ( as the Phantom), etc., and a few others. He has released a few albums composed of musical theatre songs, swing, big band, standards - and has even sung LOVE CHANGES EVERYTHING ( heresy re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow) in one of them.

Jo Updated On: 6/29/04 at 01:20 AM

beartrande
#24re: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow
Posted: 6/29/04 at 3:32am

Anthony didn't have throat cancer, he had non-Hodgkins Lymphoma (a virulent form of cancer/leukaemia) which he has (so far, fingers crossed) successfully beaten.

My personal favourite is Anthony Warlow. I love his interpretation of J&H on the complete studio recording, he *is* that CD! He puts so much feeling, emotion, depth into those characters. It's worth coping with some totally naff lyrics to listen to Anthony.

Oh and him and Philip Quast singing 'Lilys Eyes' is terrificre: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow

For me, personally, Michael is a better singer than actor. 'Passion' sounds better on CD than it was on stage for me, he can act with his voice. Michael couldn't get rid of his 'michaelisms' - mannerisms he has on stage in his solo concerts. Also he didn't seem completely comfortable in his role in CCBB, especially interactng with the kids.

But, hey, lets enjoy them both on their own meritsre: Michael Ball vs. Anthnony Warlow

"Well we can't all come and go by bubble"

Videos