Worst stunt-casting ever?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#0Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 2:53pm

What do you think?

Aaron Carter in SEUSSICAL for me.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#1re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 2:57pm

rosie o'donnell in grease
rosie o'donnell in suessical
melanie griffith in chicago
mel b in rent
toni braxton in aida
toni braxton in beauty and the beast

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

BWayBoy88
#2re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 3:04pm

I'd say Vanessa Williams in Into the Woods

#3re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 3:06pm

david hasselhoff j&h

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#4re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 3:09pm

Chris Kattan - The Frogs

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

jonartdesigns
#5re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 3:10pm

hasselhoff- i knew i forgot one
on the same token
sebastian bach
and jack wagner in the role

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

#6re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 3:22pm

nooooo i loved sebastian.

mamamia sammy Profile Photo
mamamia sammy
#7re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 3:48pm

jonart, how many of your nominees have you actually seen perform in said roles?

BroadwayWorld: A home for the dangerously unhinged

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#8re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 3:51pm

Well, I've seen them all and I can say that Mel B., while not being the greatest performer on the Broadway stage was not that bad. I expected much worse from what I had heard from the catty people here.
Toni Braxton on the other hand was awful in both of those shows and that's a shame because she has such a beautiful voice. Broadway just isn't her thing, though. But she tried and I've got to give her credit for that.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Updated On: 7/19/04 at 03:51 PM

Ruffian
#9re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:04pm

Madonna in "Speed-the-Plow"

She laughed everytime she forgot her lines, and it was often

Little nervous giggles

It haunts me still

eyeonbroadway Profile Photo
eyeonbroadway
#10re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:05pm

Can't say what who the worst was, or where she stacked up against Toni Braxton for "bad", but I saw Michelle Williams in Aida last December and I felt she was totally wrong for the part. Of the six shows we went to that week, I enjoyed Aida the least...and it was one that I was looking forward to based on the cast recording.

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#11re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:09pm

Hasselhoff(J&H)

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

AnothaPartofMe
#12re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:09pm

I saw Carl Anderson as Judas in the "Jesus Christ Superstar" tour not too long ago... he was so old. And I think he died shortly after the tour. He wasn't exactly bad; but to put a dying man onstage...

And if she'll say, "My darling, I'm yours!" I'll throw away my striped tie and my best pressed tweed, all I really need is the girl...
Updated On: 7/19/04 at 04:09 PM

jonartdesigns
#13re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:13pm

mamamia sammy - to be honest, in person none
i saw sebastian bach on regis and kathy lee
hasselhoff on pay per view
mel b. in a video
and heard rosie on the cast recording of grease

bythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
#14re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:14pm

Ricky Martin in Les Mis made me contemplate killing myself with my playbill.

And hang on, when did you win the discus?

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#15re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:14pm

I too, loved Sebastian Bach in Jekyll & Hyde. Was he a great actor? No, but he has an incredible raw talent, and his vocals were something to hear. He also used his legit voice for Jekyll and rock voice for Hyde, making the show work in musical terms in a way I never heard anyone else accomplish or even attempt. Thought it was a very misunderstood, greatly underrated performance.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

jonartdesigns
#16re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:16pm

well directly comparing his "this is the moment" to cuccioli's or warloe's is a little rough... hence my dislike for him

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#17re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:22pm

What recording are you referring to? He sang it live on the radio once, where he rocked it up a little, but in the theatre, he sang it pretty straight, and in its original key (the Warlow key), the only Broadway Jekyll to have done so.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

staticradar Profile Photo
staticradar
#18re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:23pm

Joey Fatone in RENT
Mel B in RENT
Chris Kattan in The Frogs
David Hasslehoff in Jekyll and Hyde

I wish they would just do away with stunt casting all together

You're always sorry, You're always grateful, You hold her, thinking: "I'm not alone." You're still alone.
-"Sorry-Grateful" Company

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#19re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:30pm

I agree staticradar, stunt-casting closes doors for unknown actors who are trying to get a job on Broadway. I understand if a "star" began on Broadway and is actually a good theater performer, but come on, some of these "stars" don't make the cut.

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#20re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:32pm

double post, yeah I know.

staticradar, what is your icon? it looks really interesting, the photo effects and all.

#21re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:37pm

It's interesting to me, after all the hand-wringing that went on when it was announced, that no one has mentioned Sean Combs in RAISIN IN THE SUN.

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#22re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:38pm

I actually loved Vanessa Williams as the witch. I don't consider that to be stunt casting.

Best "stunt" casting ever - Paige Davis

insomniak
#23re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:39pm

Good- Jai in Rent. Not exactly stunt casting, though, because he was Angel back in the day.

staticradar Profile Photo
staticradar
#24re: Worst stunt-casting ever?
Posted: 7/19/04 at 4:46pm

my icon is of Joshua Kobak...the picture i didn't alter much when making the icon, but I love the way that it looks...it's on his site somewhere I think, i'm not sure...I don't remember where I got the picture...ha ha...

And yes stunt casting does close doors for those more experienced actors or new actors to get a role that could launch their careers. I would rather see someone who is trained in theatre than some pop star who can't hack the role. I'm already upset about having to go see Mel B this summer when I see RENT, i'm just going to see Matt before he leaves...

You're always sorry, You're always grateful, You hold her, thinking: "I'm not alone." You're still alone.
-"Sorry-Grateful" Company

Videos