pixeltracker

September 1st Broadway walk out?

September 1st Broadway walk out?

wonderfultown
#0September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 3:54pm

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

http://www.shutitdownnyc.com/MainPage.htm

shesings
#1re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 3:58pm

this is absurd. while i am not a republican i really don't see how shutting down our city will help this cause at all. sure we'll inconvience the republican visitors, but we'll also hurt nyc business, restaurants, etc. Why would anyone want to totally jeopardize our economy just to piss off the republicans?

BWayBoy88
#2re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 4:00pm

That sounds like a good idea, but I doubt it will ever happen because they would loose so much money.

MusicPos2 Profile Photo
MusicPos2
#3re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 4:12pm

Plus, just b/c we don't like their views doesn't mean we should do something like that. That's what public debate is all about.

J.J. Profile Photo
J.J.
#4re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 4:19pm

Great idea...

And, how do you debate with someone that doesn't want to listen to you?

"Mutate or perish."

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#5re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 4:25pm

Closing the city is just stupid. I wanted to see Rent August 25 (matinne without Mel Brown) and I can't because of the Republican Convention. Why do they have to inconvenience everyone?

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#6re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 4:28pm

You seriously think this will happen? I love their last line -
"You're either with us, or you're with the Republicans"

LOL

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

cvapb Profile Photo
cvapb
#7re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 4:51pm

Thats gay

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#8re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 4:54pm

That's the point.

I agree with shesings. Shutting down the city just makes the Republicans have to wait a couple of weeks to just go back and see a show on their own time. It does nothing but inconvenience everyday people whom the Democrats should be trying to sway.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

NYSinger1 Profile Photo
NYSinger1
#9re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 5:31pm

As liberal and Anti-Bush as I am, i don't think that is the best way to get our point across. I do think we should protest in front of the convention, use our right to congregate, and right to free speech to make our case.....

broadwayguy2
#10re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 5:34pm

under bush, you only have the right to congregate in protest a long distance from his event out of the eyes of media covering said event.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#11re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 5:44pm

The most foolish idea I have ever heard. I don't care if it is for a Republican or Democratic cause - the idea is absurd.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

secret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
#12re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 5:57pm

I think that is so dumb. Why should New Yorkers suffer because a large group of Republicans happens to be in town. I mean, we're suffering enough, so why close everything.

Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#13re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 5:58pm

Absolutely absurd.

What the heck happened to being AMERICAN?
It's so polarized, it's frightening! BOTH parties are to blame for the hatred - and this is a good example of how one party doesn't want to reach out to the other.

How will we ever move forward, if these childish antics persist? To borrow a line from a movie, these are serious times and they call for serious people who want to debate in serious discussions.

Shutting down New York City does not promote serious discussion.

Absurd!

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 7/22/04 at 05:58 PM

#14re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 6:39pm

While I am frequently 'out of step' with my gay brothers and sisters, I usually can at least maintain a civil - if distant- awareness. This makes me absolutely sick to have it associated with our little sub-group of humanity. Unfortunately, I see it as just another indication of how SOME in our community have raised narcissism to an art form. Clueless, absolutely clueless. Of course there's ZERO chance of anything coming of this - and yet, it's one more thing that can be attributed to our community that in NO WAY reflects a majority view. How very disheartening.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#15re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 7:15pm

I just went to that website and sent them an email as a gay NYC Democrat who thinks this is a stupefyingly ridiculous idea.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#16re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 7:22pm

Why would they even consider losing all the profit that NY is going to get from having the Republicans and Bush-Apes spending a lot of money in NY

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Gothampc
#17re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 11:30pm

Gays have the power to shut down Chelsea and parts of the West Village, but they do not have the power to shut down the entire city. Besides what should the Gay Republicans do?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#18re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/22/04 at 11:43pm

Cut themselves in half.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#19re: September 1st Broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/23/04 at 12:49pm

That is just so dumb. Besides, if Mrs. Cheney needs a new dress, and can't get it in NYC, she can find someplace else to get it...come on!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#20re: september 1st broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/23/04 at 1:04pm

this is just too funny. my boss was talking abut giving me the week of the convention off not because she thinks that my place is there among my fascist brethren as we decide the future of zee reich but rather because the security stuff might be a bit thick to get through. she'd herad that a lot of places were shutting down and that a lot of people would be staying home. at that point i made a crack about this being a democratic ploy to make it look like the gop convention had hurt the city and to show those damn republicans that nyc hates them!

i gotta remember those damn mics in the freakin' ceiling when i speak!

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

shesings
#21re: september 1st broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/23/04 at 1:10pm

Gotham - are you kidding me? I think that the point is that everyone should band together in support of the gay people. We're not just asking "the gays" to shut things down. It was a plea for all NYCers. In any case your reference that gay people only live in Chelsea and the west village is really naive and slightly offensive. Sure those moight be the popular areas, but I know pleanty of straight people who haibtate there as well. I live in Battery Park City, totally upper class whitey-ville, and I hate to break it to you about 1/2 of my building is gay. We all know that your political views have often been ridiculous and close minded, nice to see you extend it to other ares of life as well.

papalovesmambo
#22re: september 1st broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/23/04 at 1:20pm

oh c'mon, shesings, "upper class whitey-ville" and that's not offensive? you don't do your cause much good resorting to comments like that. for all your righteous indignation, you come off sounding worse than gotham.

it's not naive or offensive to point our that certain parts of the city have a higher demographic of homosexual residency. i'm happy to hear your building is populated as it is, but even you have to admit that it's an exception rather than the rule. why do you think stonewall happened in the village and not in hell's kitchen or harlem? certain parts of the city are much more conducive to gay and lesbian rights as are certain parts of the country.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#23re: september 1st broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/23/04 at 1:27pm

Is that true, Papa?? I haven't heard any rumblings like that around my company, unfortunately...what area do you work in?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

papalovesmambo
#24re: september 1st broadway walk out?
Posted: 7/23/04 at 1:31pm

midtown.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Videos