News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

you know you're obsessed w/ broadway (there i fixed it :-) ) when...

you know you're obsessed w/ broadway (there i fixed it :-) ) when...

NoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
#0you know you're obsessed w/ broadway (there i fixed it :-) ) when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 12:17pm

have you ever seen any of these lists before? i feel like laughing at the moment... the following ones i either created or found online.. anyone have more to add?

les miz
~You know how to pronounce Les Misérables correctly
~you go into an apolectic fit everytime someone prounounces the "s" in Les
~you go running for a carbine everytime someone prounouces Misérables the way it's spelled
-you have seen the show more than 3 times
-own more than one recording of it

rent
-you deliberately dont pay your rent so you and your roommate can call your land lord and sing 'we're not gonna pay, we're not gonna pay last years rent, this years rent, next years rent!'
-you know all the many ways to measure a year accroding to larsons note posted in the 'rent bible':
1 year=4 seasons=12 months=52 weeks=365 days=1095 meals=8760 hours=525600 min=31536000 seconds you know you're obsessed w/ broadway (there i fixed it :-) ) when...
-you wonder what mark's scripts were about (the ones he was burning)

i have plenty more for rent but i wont bore you hehe

i have lots more but i want to get the post up so that i can see what other people contribute Updated On: 8/11/04 at 12:17 PM

judy_in_disguise
popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#2re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 12:20pm

The first 3 in Les Mis describe me to a tee, but not because of any love of the show, just a hatred of people pronouncing words wrong.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

ponine24601
#3re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 12:23pm

haha these are great! i second judy's 'More, more!!'

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

BroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
#4re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 12:23pm

NoDay- I crave more.

Undiscovered- Nice, dude. Nice.

Real men are tenors.

insomniak
NoDayButToday2 Profile Photo
NoDayButToday2
#6re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 12:35pm

more rent re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...

-whenever you see tables, you wonder if they would work for la vie boheme, or have visions of the obc dancing on them
-traveled to another state just to see the touring company
-own any rent merchandise
-know all the references made in la vie boheme
-learned how to play musetta's waltz because of roger
-youve typed a-n-g-e-l in an atm machine to see if anything happens
-you've called 'alexi darling' on one of her many numbers
-is your answering machine message 'SPEAK...'?
-you wear a red AIDS ribbon because of rent
-do you often use 'will you light my candle' as a pick-up line?

i have more but i want to see what you can come up with re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...

insomniak
#7re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 12:36pm

-you start screening your calls
-you do this so you can hear your lovely new answering machine message, which is 'Speeeeeeeeeeeeeak'

jayem1968 Profile Photo
jayem1968
#8re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 12:40pm

Everything makes me think of musicals.

The other day at work at co-worker had a pineapple on her desk....naturally, I burst into the pineapple song from Cabaret. Wouldn't anyone do that??

Everybody goes down well with beer.

judy_in_disguise
#9re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 12:43pm

I HAVE done that.

ponine24601
#10re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 12:49pm

'. . . you've set up a "worship zone", i.e. webpage.'

'. . . you know all the words to La Vie Boheme.
e.c. if you understand all the references in La Vie Boheme. '

'. . . your friends say you're "addicted" or "obsessed". '

'. . . you've dreamed of playing a part in Rent (even if you can't sing or act). '

'. . . you can recite/sing the lines along with your favorite character.
e.c. you can without your favorite character. '

' . . you're friends won't allow you to listen to any part of RENT when they're around'

'. . . you know the entire LVB dance and are ready to perform it for everyone wherever you can find a table.
e.c. You know the dance for all of the characters'

'before or after class, you blurt out one line and then shut up, while all your friends give you a weird look. ' (my friend and i starting to sing take me or leave me at lunch and all the rest of my friends gave us the 'wtf' look.)

'. . . you walk around town with your friends singing as far' through the cds as you can go'

'. . . you scream "Wine and Beer" everytime asks you what you're having '
'. . . when your friends ask you go somewhere even though you don't want to go, you contemplate it for a minute, then reply, "Okay, alright, I'll go..."' (did that last night)

'. . . you did "Over the Moon" as a monologue for drama class.'(my teacher liked it!)

. . . you are able to make references to Rent anytime, day or night. '

'. . . you're listening to RENT while you're reading this page'

'. . . as you are reading this you're asking yourself, "you mean that's not normal?"'

'. . . whenever someone offers you chips, by saying "Chips anyone?" you compulsively burst out with, "You can take the girl out of Hicksville, but you can't take the Hicksville out of the girl," before you realize that this doesn't make sense to anyone else. '

'. . . you actually know all of Alexi Darling's phone numbers, and you've tried calling 970-4301 or 863-6754.
e.c. you've gotten someone on the line and actually asked for Alexi darling.(from that sleazy show Buzzline)' (it was a dare! not my idea!)

check! all of them are me really.

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon
Updated On: 8/11/04 at 12:49 PM

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#11re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 12:56pm

Your heat is on too high, and you play "Too Darn Hot" to your super's voicemail...

NightLaughs Profile Photo
NightLaughs
#12re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:03pm

You can sing La Vie Bohem backwards, in your sleep while standing on your hands in the middle of a crowded sidewalk.

I don't know about all of you, but that is so me. re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...

Actually this is giving me ideas, and that's a very sad thing. For a while I wasn't allowed any sort of Rent references around my friends, it'd drive them nuts, and served only to amuse myself. I scared the crap out of my lunch table last year randomly belting (In my lowest male imitation voice) 2-4-6-0-1...
To which my best friend replied "Honey, no more Lay whatever for you, ok?" Eh, oh well.

If you limit your choices to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise."- Robert Fritz

TheTruth2 Profile Photo
TheTruth2
#13re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:22pm

...When you go to Spider-Man 2 and shout, "That's Alfred Molina, star of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF on Broadway!...Hey! That's Donna Murphy, star of WONDERFUL TOWN at the Al Hirschfield Theatre, formerly the Martin Beck Theatre, on Broadway!"...

showmethetony Profile Photo
showmethetony
#14re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:40pm

just about anytime anyone says anything that might sound remotely like a line from a musical my friends and i will start singing...this generally gets on the nerves of non-theater folks...

when you grow up surrounded by willful ignorance you have to believe mercy has its own country and that it's round and borderless ~Animal, Ani Difranco

thibodeaux Profile Photo
thibodeaux
#15re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:40pm

There have been so many instances where in a general conversation, a word or phrase will spark the same word or phrase used in a musical song (generally it happens with RENT since those lyrics are all over the place) but then I begin singing the song in my head--well, more often I sing it out loud right over their talking...

...I suppose it can be considered rude? But I can't help it!

whatever and ever amen - ben folds five

ponine24601
#16re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:42pm

i am like the only one that is obsessed with broadway musicals in my group of friends. someone will say something and it will remind me of a broadway song. i'll start singing and then i'll get slapped.

WOSQ
#17re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:44pm

When you justifiably trash a show like Mamma Mia, yet go back and see it a second time and recommend it to your family...

...which I did.

When you can have an intelligent debate with another Show Afficianado about which version of Annie get Your Gun had a better book, the original or the boring recent one.

When you decide which of your twenty-five (at a minimun) recordings of Send In The Clowns that you own is the best and settling on Glynis' version done for the Sondheim benefit.

You tell someone who is about 30 that they needed to see The Frogs so that when someone their age now asks them in 25 years when they are my age now what The Frogs was like, they will be able to tell them a first hand opinion. I told him it was the equivalent of my 85 year old friend being asked by me about Laurette Taylor or my long dead Grandfather telling of seeing Sarah Bernhardt play Hamlet with a wooden leg and in French and neither mattered.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

insomniak
#18re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:44pm

I do the exact same thing, thibodeaux. Sometimes I even use lyrics in regular conversation. (You look familiar...)

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#19re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:47pm

You begin to notice all the people in movies/commercials that have starred in Broadway shows, that may not be overly popular with the public, like Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Nicole Kidman, etc. Such as:

Alfred Molina/Donna Murphy in Spiderman 2 (lol, TheTruth2)
Susan Egan in Gotta Kick it Up! and 13 Going on 30
Marissa Jaret Winokur in Beautiful Girl
Christian Borle in Ebay commercial
Anne Reinking in Annie/Bernadette Peters in Annie/Audra McDonald in Annie
Christy Romano in Even Stevens and Kim Possible

etc, etc...

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

thibodeaux Profile Photo
thibodeaux
#20re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:48pm

I 'look' familiar? Odd. re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...

I love doing it.

And also, when I get on a new OBCR, I play it non-stop, I mean, seriously--over and over and over and over...

And my two roommates get soo tired of it. I was that way with The Last 5 Years. Well, Wicked before that and then TL5Y. And then it was Avenue Q. Now it's Caroline, or Change.

millie_dillmount
#21re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:52pm

...when you stand in front of your mirror and lip-sync to all your favorite showtunes.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

thibodeaux Profile Photo
thibodeaux
#22re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:56pm

Oh! Wait! I think I've got you all!! :)

When you get the chance to be transformed into a beautiful drag queen to perform in front of a packed house of people and you perform none other than:

"My Strongest Suit" from AIDA.

And only 2 people know the song cuz they're theatre queens, too, but people love it because you work that song out.

Not like *I* did that or anything, noo-oo...

... Yes, I did. re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...

#23re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 1:57pm

You know your obsessed with broadway musicals when you start buying cast recordings of shows in languages you do not know or speak and yet can recite every word.

IE...
Blood Brothers in Hebrew
Rent and Little Shop of Horrors in Icelandic
Starlight Express, The Lion King, Les Miserables and more in German

millie_dillmount
#24re: you know you're obsessed with boradway musicals when...
Posted: 8/11/04 at 2:01pm

Where can you find some of those foreign language recordings?

Videos