ShbrtAlley44
#25re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:27pm

Yeah, you're right, Seany.

NBRISBY Profile Photo
NBRISBY
#26re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:28pm

Shoshana's A above high C is (of course) in "head". But, I was interested in both head and belt high notes. I think Eden and SHoshana may be the winners along with Mandy (for highest man note).

what about highest belted guy note? I guess men are always mixing up there, huh? Maybe something Jimmy does in dreamgirls is higher?

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#27re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:30pm

What about Idina's high C (two octaves above middle C) in the Wild Party...isn't that in mix? Updated On: 8/30/04 at 06:30 PM

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#28re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:31pm

I'm pretty sure there's nothing higher than Jesus' stuff in JCS for a male singer.

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.

NBRISBY Profile Photo
NBRISBY
#29re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:32pm

NO, Seany...Mandy Patinken sings a half step higher in Evita during "And the money kept rolling in".

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#30re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:33pm

Oh right, and Mandy Patinkin...

I wonder if Raul hit that note when he played Che? I'm sure he can, but I don't know if he did.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#31re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:36pm

Kristin hits an E at the end of No One Mourns the Wicked

BroadwayGirl107
#32re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:38pm

From what I understand Kristin can hit a high F above C two octaves above middle C (did that make sense?)...in Glitter be Gay (maybe?). Updated On: 8/30/04 at 06:38 PM

NBRISBY Profile Photo
NBRISBY
#33re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:40pm

She did that F on her album (the girl in 4G -- or whatever the song's called). She also did a sustained high F during the concert of Funny Girl.

ForTheLoveOfLea Profile Photo
ForTheLoveOfLea
#34re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:42pm

I was going to mention the exact song, BroadwayGirl. I think Barbara Cook has the highest note in "Glitter and Be Gay". I might be wrong. A high E is beyond anything I can even imagine. I have problems with A's. re: highest notes

Thou giveth fever.

Ebonic_Singer
#35re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:43pm

OFFICIAL ANSWER FOR A GUY ACCORDING TO ME:

TY taylor hits high D's in Songs For a New World--he's definately a male alto. He may go higher but the notes I have checked have been D's.

megannn33
#36re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:49pm

idina menzel - defying gravity - the end of it

yes this has been said a bunch of times but i just had to add it once more lol =]

DefyingGravity2 Profile Photo
DefyingGravity2
#37re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:50pm

Yeah i'm pretty sure that in Glitter and Be Gay its F6..... no matter who sings it i'm pretty sure thats how its written :)

Il n' y a pas d'amour heureux.

temms Profile Photo
temms
#38re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:03pm

The high note in "Glitter" is actually an Eb. The "Queen of the Night" aria from "Magic Flute" has the F. You have to actually hold the note for a while in the Bernstein, though, and Mozart's is just part of a run.

BroadwayGirl107
#39re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:05pm

Kristin is known to take liberties with many pieces she performs to make them higher...so that's why I mentioned that.

Emutional Profile Photo
Emutional
#40re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:08pm

when i saw wicked on 7/16/2004, during thank goodness Kristin did the high note at the end and then she did a note like 5 notes higher and it looked like her eyes were going to pop out of her head. It was so ear-shattering and beautiful at the same time.

anyways, back to the highest note.

I donno it, but i always find it amusing to listen to kerry butler on the hairspray OBCR in "Without love" when she hits her highest note in the line "no i dont wanna live without love, love, love."

ok, im done :)

musicaltheatreman
#41re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:20pm

dont forget about pattie lupone high note's in evita "a new argentina" and "rainbow high"

liz callaway in baby singsing "the sory goes on"

betty buckly in the mistery of edwin(sp) drood singing "the writeing on the wall"

alice ripley in sideshow singing "the tunnel of love" and "she's gone"

dory the nun Profile Photo
dory the nun
#42re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 9:32pm

just to help out a little...

"Glitter and Be Gay" is the highest note in musical theatre for women and it is the E flat above high C (as in the C above the staff)

the highest note ever for a woman occurs in the opera Aida.. Amneris sings the F above high C( as in the C above the staff).

Kristen sings C's (as in the C above the staff) in Wicked- nothing higher... but she does it very well.

and Shoshana certainly mixes the end of "Bless the Lord My Soul"... very well.

as far as high belting goes- we are forgetting an important thing- we are the audience and not the singer- when Sutton Foster gave a masterclass at my school this past year (The University of the Arts) she let us all in on how she mixes many of the acclaimed belt notes that people love of hers. This is not a bad thing- this is a healthier approach to an exciting sounding kind of singing. So when we say that .. for instance "Defying Gravity" is the highest belt note with the Gs and Fs at the end... we may not know that someone like Eden uses a mix (influenced from the chest) to hit those notes.

so - there are some high notes in shows.. and it becomes the actor/actress's choice as to their approach of singing it...

predominantly anything around and above a D is considered a high belt... but no lies... rarely is anyone truly truly "belting" from a chest voice in that range...

so that said- yay for high singing and the pursuit of its glory!

hahaha.

happy singing to all!

There's nothing you can know that isn't known. Nothing you can see that isn't shown. Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be. It's easy: ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE.

timote316
#43re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 9:59pm

Kristin's note at the end of Thank Goodness is extremely high. She hits it so well, too...

How does it compare to Sarah Brightman's last note in Phantom of the Opera? Which is higher? I've never listened to them back-to-back to compare

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#44re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 10:12pm

i know sarah brightman hits like a high E at the end of the phantom of the opera self tittled song.

Jon
#45re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:15pm

Glitter and Be Gay - top note is E flat above high C.

I believe Christine in Phantom has an E natural.

Queen of the Night in Magic Flute has the f above high C.

In the off-Broadway musical CHARLOTTE SWEET, the title character hits several of those same "F"s. The show is about a singer who sucks helium ot keep her high notes.

As far as men - NOT falsetto,NOT rock and roll, but legitmate full voiced notes:

In SHOWBOAT, Ravenal is supposed to sing a B flat at the end of "You Are Love".

There is also a B flat in the optional high obligato in the middle of "Maria" in WEST SIDE STORY, but it rarely heard on stage. You can hear it on operatic recordings by true tenors.

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#46re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:19pm

Charlotte Sweet sounds perfect for Cheno...seriously, not bashing her at all.

I think in "Love Changes Everything" the final note is a B flat. Full voice. We need to talk about full voice with guys, falsetto, rock falsetto, mix, etc. don't apply.

Good call Jon.

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#47re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:22pm

Well...

Freddie in CHESS hits a high C in "Pity The Child".

Judas hits a high D and optional high E in full voice in "Jesus Christ Superstar".

Michael Cavanaugh hits many high Bs and Cs in "Movin' Out".

Billy Porter hits all of his high notes in full voice, including his high Es and Fs in the "Grease" revival.

Updated On: 8/30/04 at 11:22 PM

aspiringguy715 Profile Photo
aspiringguy715
#48re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:24pm

Whoa, totally forgot Michael Cavanaugh! Good call Seany.

Ty Taylor in "Songs for a New World" hits a high C full voice, "then the earthquake hits!" I'm not sure what he uses throughout the rest of that show, probably his mix.

Jon
#49re: highest notes
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:50pm

Actually, Cheno has sung Charlotte Sweet's songs - in a concert of composer Michael Colby's songs - a benefit AMDA.

It's a really funny, demented show. Charlotte sings in "The Circus of Voices" - a traveling troupe of vocal freaks. When she starts losing her high notes, she gets addicted to sucking helium. The show becmes a take-off or all those old movies and stories of stars who can't handle fame and turn to drugs or alcohol.