pixeltracker

What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?

What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#0What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 4:44pm

My pick would be PRETTYBELLE.

PRETTYBELLE opened in Boston in 1971 with a Jule Styne/Bob Merrill score.

Angela Lansbury played a troubled housewife in the Deep South whose redneck husband locked her up in a mental instituion.

Lansbury received rave notices (as always) but critics panned the show (subject matter bothered a lot of them) and it closed out of town.

It has been recorded on CD; I do not know if it is still available.

My PRETTYBELLE personal highlight: Lansbury singing "You Never Looked Better" to dead husband at his funeral.

"I say YOU'RE the CUTEST one. No, I say YOU'RE the CUTEST One. And we go on like that from dawn to three."

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#1re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 4:46pm

Dance of the Vampires DEFINITELY deserves another chance! it was so good! it's too bad it closed so quickly!

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#2re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 4:47pm

TABOO!

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#3re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 4:55pm

Parade, of course.

Spooky
#4re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 4:57pm

Urinetown
Steel Pier

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#5re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 4:59pm

Taboo

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

MargoChanning
#6re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 5:01pm

Urinetown didn't fail. It ran for nearly 1000 performances and turned a very healthy profit.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 10/9/04 at 05:01 PM

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#7re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 5:04pm

Spooky,

I agree. I have only LISTENED to STEEL PIER, but it SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT SHOW.

Did you ever see it?

"I say YOU'RE the CUTEST one. No, I say YOU'RE the CUTEST One. And we go on like that from dawn to three."

MargoChanning
#8re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 5:08pm

I saw Steel Pier -- it made two and a half hours feel like a 6 month dance marathon....... bored me to tears.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Chrysanthemum62001
#9re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 5:12pm

Taboo, Tom Sawyer, and Romance, Romance (just because I would love to have seen them)

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#10re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 5:12pm

You really didn't miss much with TOM SAWYER. Believe me.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

GirlfriendFromCanada
#11re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 5:15pm

Taboo, no question. Saddens me to this day that it is gone.

MargoChanning
#12re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 5:18pm

Tom Sawyer was painful to sit through.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#13re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 5:19pm

Cats and Les Miz (LOL!).... No really Taboo needed a bit more time

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#14re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 5:19pm

My usual answer to this question, Fascinating Rhythm. If only to re-assemble that stunning and inspired cast, most of which have gone on to much success. As a matter of fact, I think every lead in the show (Michael Berresse, Darius De Haas, Adrien Lenox, Orfeh, Sara Ramirez, Patrick Wilson), has been doing rather well ever since, most notably board favorite, Patrick Wilson.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#15re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 5:26pm

Carrie
Chess
Tenderloin
Goldilocks
Parade
Jane Eyre
The Human Comedy
Dance of the Vampires
Hallelujah, Baby! (biggest Tony-winning flop)
The Most Happy Fella
Pipe Dream
Flora, the Red Menace
The Rink
Rags

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Chris537
#16re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 5:59pm

Frankenstein. Does anyone remember?

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#17re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 6:01pm

The cast recording of Prettybelle doesn't reflect exactly what was heard in Boston. The show opened with "Prettybelle" and that Overture was written for the album. "I'm In A Tree" was cut in Boston. There is an extensive "John Sweet Ballet" and an incidental song for Charlotte Rae's character that were not recorded.

I've studied that show pretty extensively and have a full tape of a performance and I'm pretty confident that "You Never Looked Better" never actually made it into the production. It was going to go in in New York, but it was never actually performed. Because it was never finished, Styne actually wrote the lyrics for the male chorus that opens the song ("Poor Leroy's gone to heaven..." etc.) expressly for the album.

Also, it's not quite accurate that the critics praised Lansbury while hating the show. Prettybelle surprised Bostonians when the normally conservative Elliot Norton raved for the production, and Kevin Kelley panned it.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#18re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 6:15pm

Hands Down:
PARADE
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#19re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 6:21pm

GOLDILOCKS! Yes!!!

Elaine Strich and Don Ameche trading one-liners (they had that nonlovesong, "No One Will Ever Love You Like You Do")

Margaret Hamilton!

Last scene: EGYPT ON THE HUDSON!

And how can you forget Russell Nype's plaintive, "Shall I Take My Heart and Go?"

Do you think Stritch is too old to give it another go? re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A  Second Chance?

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#20re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 6:26pm

The Wild Party (Lippa)

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#21re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 6:29pm

What is THE WILD PARTY? :)

LindsayAnne
#22re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 6:35pm

Taboo. I was all hyped up to see that one, & then it closed before I had a chance to get down to the city. *shakes fist*

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#23re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 6:49pm

I would like to have seen Thoroughly Modern Millie with a longer run. Also the revival of Gypsy and Little Shop of Horrors. I am not sure if Gypsy recouped their initial investment.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

BWayBoy88
#24re: What Shows That Failed Do You Think Deserve A Second Chance?
Posted: 10/8/04 at 7:17pm

I think Taboo just needed a better, more experienced producer.

Videos